Just saw 300...

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain
THIS MOVIE IS SO FUCKING AMAZING. I wanna go see it again. Definitely going into one of my favorite movies of all time list and near the top.

I just got back from seeing it too. I can say it was definately a fun movie. Pretty hardcore, and indeed over the top.

I'm glad that it will spark great interest in the battle and that could lead to more people wanting to learn about the Classics. And that is a project worthy of Antiquity.

Was it just me, or did the hunchback dude look like Sloth from the Goonies? Also, Xerxes was quite kinky-his harem was all deformed and had a few amputees.

All in all, an enjoyable film. I won't call it a masterpiece but it was solid and did what it set out to do.

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain
[quote name='Actium' post='454648' date='Mar 10 2007, 01:49 AM']I just got back from seeing it too. I can say it was definately a fun movie. Pretty hardcore, and indeed over the top.

I'm glad that it will spark great interest in the battle and that could lead to more people wanting to learn about the Classics. And that is a project worthy of Antiquity.

Was it just me, or did the hunchback dude look like Sloth from the Goonies? Also, Xerxes was quite kinky-his harem was all deformed and had a few amputees.

All in all, an enjoyable film. I won't call it a masterpiece but it was solid and did what it set out to do.[/quote]
i fucking loved it. the action scenes were so badass. It had drama, action, and comedy. I really enjoyed it and want to go see it again. I rarely have that feeling.

On a side note: I watched Borat today as well.

Oh yeah, I remember that movie. I saw it a while ago...like Tuesday, at a private showing :whistle: :afropic:

I typically dislike movies that revolve around long fight-scenes (for instance, I think Lord of the Rings blows), but this one kept it interesting. I also could appreciate the embellishments taken in scenery and action to give it an 'over-the-top' impression similar to the way such events were depicted by the Greek historians such as Herodotus's account (2.6 million Persians!?!)

Anywho, did anyone else notice the distinctively-Frank Miller calling cards in the film - the Lobster claw-handed executioner, and the recorder-playing goat?

[color="#FF0000"][b]I saw it last night and thought it was pretty good. It wasn't heavy in the plot or acting department,
but the visuals and fight scenes were awsome. On a side note, I was annoyed by the films' (very subtle) racist overtone.

Anyway, if titties, swords, spears, blood and guts is your thing, 300 is definatley for you. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: [/b][/color]

Well, yeah, I enjoyed it.

Didn't catch any racist's overtones sneaky, but I'm white, so I seldom do. Do elaborate.

115 lbs Greek women are hot.

Sin City was a miss for me, this was the perfect story for his filmtype.

The King's acting was actually very good. And the Spartans where fairly convincing in their warrior culture.

Theron was no good.

And yes he looked just like Sloth. One of the worst parts of the movie. They gave him WAY too much facetime for such a bad costume.

Xerxes was great, but yes, his amputee harem reminded me of an episode of CSI.

Anyway, people laughed at the goat AND the executioner, they didn't get it.

[quote name='Scoutforlife591' post='454792' date='Mar 10 2007, 11:49 AM']Didn't catch any racist's overtones sneaky, but I'm white, so I seldom do. Do elaborate.[/quote]
[color="#FF0000"][b]The movie had some things in it that I feel was not socially responsible. And yes I realize that
the movie is based on a fictious account of a war that happened over 2000 years ago, but that
can't stop a producer / director from editing it.

I don't want to elaborate now for I fear I will spoil it for those who wish to see it. I can PM
you.
[/b][/color]

[quote name='sneaky' post='454686' date='Mar 10 2007, 07:50 AM'][color="#FF0000"][b]I saw it last night and thought it was pretty good. It wasn't heavy in the plot or acting department,
but the visuals and fight scenes were awsome. On a side note, I was annoyed by the films' (very subtle) racist overtone.

Anyway, if titties, swords, spears, blood and guts is your thing, 300 is definatley for you. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: [/b][/color][/quote]

[b]did marcuse's girl suck your cock while watching the movie bra ? and if she did how was it ?[/b]

[quote name='Rumble in the Jungle' post='454821' date='Mar 10 2007, 12:49 PM'][b]did marcuse's girl suck your cock while watching the movie bra ? and if she did how was it ?[/b][/quote]

[color="#FF0000"][b]Yes she did, and it made me bust a nut like.....
BBBBBLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/b][/color]

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain
[quote name='sneaky' post='454822' date='Mar 10 2007, 12:51 PM'][color="#FF0000"][b]Yes she did, and it made me bust a nut like.....
BBBBBLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/b][/color][/quote]
He make sexy time!

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain

[quote name='Rumble in the Jungle' post='454827' date='Mar 10 2007, 01:02 PM']that is one of my favorite movies ever!

"but my brother, he break the cage one day and he had her " :1hump:[/quote]
[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//24.gif[/img]

i saw it last night. And OMG the deleted scenes are even better. Check my sig.

If you like Borat, you should check out Ali G shows on the internet at www.boyakasha.co.uk or places like that showstash.com site posted here a while ago; each show is a segment of Ali G, Borat, and Bruno the gay Austrian, whose moviefilm is yet to come out.

[quote name='sneaky' post='454816' date='Mar 10 2007, 12:43 PM'][color="#FF0000"][b]The movie had some things in it that I feel was not socially responsible. And yes I realize that
the movie is based on a fictious account of a war that happened over 2000 years ago, but that
can't stop a producer / director from editing it.

I don't want to elaborate now for I fear I will spoil it for those who wish to see it. I can PM
you.
[/b][/color][/quote]

Yeah, PM, I'm interested.

[quote name='sneaky' post='454686' date='Mar 10 2007, 07:50 AM'][color="#FF0000"][b]I saw it last night and thought it was pretty good. It wasn't heavy in the plot or acting department,

Anyway, if titties, swords, spears, blood and guts is your thing, 300 is definatley for you. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: [/b][/color][/quote]

After reading this thread, I went to see 300 tonight. Keeping in mind your take on the movie, sneaky, I was looking for the racial overtones. Frankly, I couldn't see any other than the Spartans being white and the Persian army being a mix-match of carnival freaks, Asians and Africans. I just attributed it to the director's/Frank Miller's want to portray them as they were, a multi-nation army. Only sensationalized in a very Frank Miller way.

I, like Scout, am white and relatively oblivious to some of the more subtle issues, so I am also curious to hear your thoughts.

[color="#FF0000"][b]Instead of just PM'ing Scout, I guess I might as well post my complete reveiw and issues
with this movie for all to see.

First off let me say that I'm not saying the movie was bad. I enjoyed it because of the action
and the beautiful imagery. From that pesrspective, I found the movie very entertaining, but
there was some things in this movie that I did not like.

PROBLEM #1: INFANT KILLINGS

At the beginning of the movie, it is explained, that Sparta infant males, who were either
deformed or too small, were thrown off an edge of a cliff or hilltop, to ensure that that
all men from Sparta would be strong and healthy. The movie does not show any infants
getting tossed, but there is a scene where a man is examining a baby at the top of a cliff,
and the skulls of infants are seen at the bottom.

To me this is extremely fucked up. Dont get me wrong, I am aware that these kind of things
happened in various ancient cultures, thats not my problem, my problem is that this scene
was not needed and it should have been edited.

Why? People are fucking ignorant, and they dont need to be given more fucked up ideas.
Those of us who live in Cincinnati are already aware of the Marcus Fizel murder last summer.

Marcus was a 5 year old mentally impaired child that was left to die, tied up in a closet, while his parents went on vacation and upon their return they cremated his body.

Just a few months ago, a Dayton woman was charged for murdering her six week old baby.
The baby was killed via microwave. I can almost gaurentee you that within a matter of
weeks there will be a disabled child or infant thrown off a cliff or bridge, because of this
scene.

As I am typing this, I just found this story from CNN this morning.....

[url="http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/03/11/infant.bodies.ap/index.html"]http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/03/11/infant.bodies.ap/index.html[/url]

PROBLEM #2: PLENTY OF RACIST AND XENOPHOBIC INEUNDOS

Throughout the entire movie, the point that the people of Sparta was superior was
banged like a drum over and over again. In one of the opening scenes, when the
messenger of Xerxes asked Leonidas why did he allow his wife to verbally confront
him (the messenger), Leonidas answered, "because only Sparta women bare real men".

IMO, I find that type of dialogue extremely reckless and dangerous, especially when
the movie is all about multiple cultures, and multiple races fighting each other in war.

Also, the Persian army which included Africans and Asians were presented as
demonic, evil, freakish and heartless murderers and all lacked great skill and
true courage on the battle field.

I'm not the only person that noticed it........

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/300_%28film%29"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/300_%28film%29[/url]

[quote]Greek critic Dimitris Danikas criticized the movie for showing Persians as "bloodthirsty, underdeveloped zombies," and went on to say, "They are stroking racist instincts in Europe and America."[/quote]

[quote]Darius Kadivar, an Iranian writer of Payvand's Iran News called for restraint from Iranian critics, saying;
In a particularly tense climate of international politics where threats of an imminent US or Israeli attack on Iran (once known as Persia) is on everyone’s mind it would be easy to see in this movie as many bellicose metaphors as there are sand pebbles in the entire desert landscapes of the Middle East. Before succumbing to what is our national sport that is seeing conspiracy theories of monstrous proportions in any non Iranian/Persian depiction of our land and history, let us take a closer look at what would be considered, by any one with a minimum of film knowledge, as merely a B-Rated Film albeit directed with a visually stunning approach.[/quote]

In conclusion, I think the movie had a hell of alot more style than it did substance.

If the makers of this film would have put the same amount of effort and concern on what this film
had to say, as they did on how it looked, it would have been a lot better.[/b][/color]

Guest BadassBengal
sneaky, come one man, who cares. The movie is about being cool and manly and killing things. For a good minute, can't you just say "fuck the real world" and go enjoy yourself.

Well, I'll agree with you on most accounts sneaky. In sincerity.

However, I'd urge you to put things into context a bit more.

Perhaps the "babies over the cliff" scene wasn't edited as to show the cost this particular society has had to carry so that "only spartan women give birth to real men."

The movie was given from the perspective of the Spartans. That is the reason for the grotesqueness of the Persian army. If you'll remember, the entire movie was lightly narrated by the Marathon runner.

It's obvious that he was telling some tall tales and embellishing things. That's more of a tribute to cultural storytelling and the oral tradition. Thus the reason Xerxes was Likely a foot and a half larger than the King, even though the King was already presented as a 6'5" laser rocket arm perfect male specimen. Hence the monster-like attributes of the Persian Empire as seen through Spartan eyes.

From my own perspective, I saw the Spartans make fun of the Athenians, calling them boy-lovers. However, that's the same thing a Marine would do to a soldier in the army. That's how a group of warriors fosters there warrior culture. By constantly believing they are superior.

That right there is how I took the movie. A story on a warrior culture. I think it's easy to see that a warrior culture is not going to be PC. ("Kill Babies" isn't an infrequently battlecry heard in the Marines, as a sign, albeit immature, of our ruthlessness.)

Back on baby killing. Today it's criminal, then it was social acceptable. (China) There is a difference. I don't think Mr. and Mrs. Fizel are going to be filing an appeal on grounds of "300." There is a clear distinction. In no way

As to the Persian army being ruthless and talentless. Well, it was a bit of a clusterfuck winning due only to their masses. The language barriers and morale making in nearly an inoperable war machine. Furthermore, the Spartans WERE just about the greatest fighters on the earth at the time. The Phalanx and 13 foot spears was pretty tough to beat. As to ruthless, yes, it's not like Darius and Xerxes were trying to spread democracy or have everyone in the world get inoculated for Hepatitis B.

Anyway. I enjoyed the movie. It's not like I was seeking moral guidance by watching it.

Archived