[quote name='TDB' post='454662' date='Mar 10 2007, 02:52 AM']2 million bucks a year for Shaun Smith?

Bye bye. :wave:[/quote]

hope this doest turn out to be another brenston buckner, kimo von ollenhoffen or kelly greg. ( ex-bengals who were let go and turned out to be very good players)

2m is too much... Back to wishing we could have tied up some of these loose ends before it came to this. I wouldn't call it a terrible FA for us, since we did make some great signings to keep our core talent.. But there were some miscalculations made, IMO.

every nfl team locks up key players (core talent) i don't understand why hobsen and other fans bring this up. the ravens have bart scott, ray lewis, ed reed, steve mcnair, todd heap and about 4 others to very big contracts. but they found a way to pick up mcgahee(sp).

[quote name='natethesnake' post='454252' date='Mar 9 2007, 03:09 PM']Very interesting that all the AFC North teams want Smith...

That said, I find it funny the guy is our third stringer and the Browns peg him as their "nose tackle of the future."[/quote]

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='454256' date='Mar 9 2007, 03:11 PM']Yeah I thought that was a bit on the funny side as well.[/quote]

2 words

Kelly

Gregg

[quote name='Jason' post='454687' date='Mar 10 2007, 07:51 AM']2 words

Kelly

Gregg[/quote]

i want the bengals to match. we have 3 guys well over 30 making very good money ( on the d-line) restructure or cut one. smith is already scheduled to make 850k this year. so matching is not that tough. remember in 2005 when robinson missed 5-6 games. smith came in and the run defense improved.

Guest Yojimbo
[quote name='maanster' post='454679' date='Mar 10 2007, 07:12 AM']hope this doest turn out to be another brenston buckner, kimo von ollenhoffen or kelly greg. ( ex-bengals who were let go and turned out to be very good players)[/quote]

Yep. Few here would disagree that the Hayes brothers just don't get it done for one reason or another.

And 8 million spread out over 4 years is hardly a "poison pill." Its a reasonable offer that won't be matched.

Well I don't mind that we won't match. Because even if they are able to make something special out of him, that is something that our coaches have been unable to do here so we might as well let him goto a team with a real DL coach or a team that sees something in Shaun that the Bengals clearly do not.

[quote name='Yojimbo' post='454693' date='Mar 10 2007, 08:24 AM']Yep. Few here would disagree that the Hayes brothers just don't get it done for one reason or another.

And 8 million spread out over 4 years is hardly a "poison pill." Its a reasonable offer that won't be matched.
Well I don't mind that we won't match. Because even if they are able to make something special out of him, that is something that our coaches have been unable to do here so we might as well let him goto a team with a real DL coach or a team that sees something in Shaun that the Bengals clearly do not.[/quote]

Not just the Bengals. Apparently the Saints and the Cowboys had the same problems.

And based on the Browns recent success with D-linemen, I wouldn't be too worried about them getting anything out of Smith either.

[quote name='maanster' post='454685' date='Mar 10 2007, 07:40 AM']every nfl team locks up key players (core talent) i don't understand why hobsen and other fans bring this up. the ravens have bart scott, ray lewis, ed reed, steve mcnair, todd heap and about 4 others to very big contracts. but they found a way to pick up mcgahee(sp).[/quote]
You're right the Ravens have those guys locked up but we have more locked up at positions that overall are more expensive such as Palmer, CJ, TJ, Rudi, Levi, Willie, Bobbie Williams, and Jeremy Johnson. The major difference is that all of ours are on offense, and the majority of our Defense are pretty much on rookie contracts.

[quote name='Jason' post='454695' date='Mar 10 2007, 08:29 AM']Not just the Bengals. Apparently the Saints and the Cowboys had the same problems.

And based on the Browns recent success with D-linemen, I wouldn't be too worried about them getting anything out of Smith either.[/quote]

about coach hayes (dl coach) i think it's interesting that cowher and mike tice decided not renew his contract?

is john thorton (4.3 mill cap hit) that much better than shaun smith??

[quote name='JungleCat' post='454697' date='Mar 10 2007, 07:32 AM']You're right the Ravens have those guys locked up but we have more locked up at positions that overall are more expensive such as Palmer, CJ, TJ, Rudi, Levi, Willie, Bobbie Williams, and Jeremy Johnson. The major difference is that all of ours are on offense, and the majority of our Defense are pretty much on rookie contracts.[/quote]

You also remember that they couldn't/wouldn't sign Adalius Thomas, an All-Pro, right? The Ravens made a choice about where to put their money, and that involved a difficult decision with AD. Happens. But it also allowed them to get McGahee, who might help the team more than AD would have.

If Shaun Smith were a significant player, why didn't he even suit up for the last 3 games last year? I believe that Fanene did, and played some DT to boot. Bottom line, I don't think Marvin saw Smith as an important part of the D, which is why I'd be very surprised if they kept him at the $2M per year deal.

Hey, I thought Langston Moore (Smith's linemate at South Carolina) played well when the Bengals had him, and I was disappointed to see him go... but he bounced around the league for a little while, and hasn't done much. I think the same will be true of Shaun Smith. I wish him well.

[quote name='texbengal' post='454708' date='Mar 10 2007, 08:50 AM']You also remember that they couldn't/wouldn't sign Adalius Thomas, an All-Pro, right? The Ravens made a choice about where to put their money, and that involved a difficult decision with AD. Happens. But it also allowed them to get McGahee, who might help the team more than AD would have.

If Shaun Smith were a significant player, why didn't he even suit up for the last 3 games last year? I believe that Fanene did, and played some DT to boot. Bottom line, I don't think Marvin saw Smith as an important part of the D, which is why I'd be very surprised if they kept him at the $2M per year deal.

Hey, I thought Langston Moore (Smith's linemate at South Carolina) played well when the Bengals had him, and I was disappointed to see him go... but he bounced around the league for a little while, and hasn't done much. I think the same will be true of Shaun Smith. I wish him well.[/quote]

fair enough. time will tell

Guest oldschooler
[quote][size=5][b]Browns continue trying to raid local club[/b][/size]
BY MARK CURNUTTE | MCURNUTTE@ENQUIRER.COM

Can't beat them? Sign their players.

A week after signing left guard Eric Steinbach to a $49.5 million, seven-year contract, the Cleveland Browns have their sights set on two other Bengals free agents.

The Browns confirmed Friday that they have signed Bengals restricted free agent defensive tackle Shaun Smith to an offer sheet. Terms were not disclosed.

Agent Bruce Tollner's office confirmed that unrestricted free agent safety Kevin Kaesviharn visited Cleveland on Thursday.

The Bengals have a five-game win streak over the Browns.

Smith has been tendered a one-year, $850,000 contract by the Bengals, who will have one week to match or disregard the Browns' offer sheet. The Bengals would not receive compensation if they declined to match the sheet because Smith was not drafted.

The Browns see Smith as the nose tackle of the future in their 3-4 defense, which means it plays with three down linemen and four linebackers. Starting nose tackle Ted Washington will be 39 when the season starts. Backups Ethan Kelley and Baba Oshinowo are not regarded as potential starters.

Smith, who played college ball at South Carolina, is 325 pounds. He played in 13 games and had 14 tackles in 2006. He has played in 34 career games with seven starts.

Kaesviharn, who led the Bengals with six interceptions, has visited Arizona and New Orleans in free agency.

Backup tight end Tony Stewart, another Bengals unrestricted free agent, has agreed to terms on a two-year contract with the Oakland Raiders, agent Jerrold Colton said. The Raiders made an offer to Bengals starting tight end Reggie Kelly, who signed a three-year contract Thursday to stay with the Bengals. Stewart played in 16 games with starts in three as the second tight end. He had 14 receptions for 120 yards and one touchdown and was fourth with 15 special teams tackles. He also has two of four fumble recoveries in the kicking game.

Besides Kelly, the Bengals have five tight ends on their offseason roster, as of Feb. 20. None of the tight ends has much, if any, NFL experience: Tim Day, Ronnie Ghent, Gregg Guenther, Sean Mulcahy and long snapper Brad St. Louis.

Also on Friday, Bengals unrestricted free agent wide receiver Kelley Washington visited the New England Patriots.

[b]O'NEAL PLEADS GUILTY:[/b] Cornerback Deltha O'Neal pleaded guilty Friday in Clermont County Municipal Court to reckless operation of a vehicle in exchange for dropping a charge of operating a vehicle under the influence.

Judge James Shriver handed O'Neal a 30-day suspended jail sentence and suspended his driver's license for 180 days. He is permitted to drive only to and from work and to and from medical appointments.

The judge also is requiring O'Neal to participate in the NFL's substance abuse treatment program and to donate $1,000 to Mothers Against Drunk Drivers.

O'Neal told the judge that he is a father and that his actions were uncharacteristic.

O'Neal originally had pleaded not guilty to the charge of driving under the influence after an Ohio State Patrol officer said he drove drunk through one of their checkpoints in December.

When officers arrested O'Neal at the Clermont County DUI checkpoint, they say his blood alcohol level was .10, which is just over the .08 legal limit for driving in Ohio.[/quote]

[url="http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070310/SPT02/703100400/1066/rss07"]http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...0400/1066/rss07[/url]

Guest oldschooler
[quote][size=5][b]Browns trying to grab 2 more [/b][/size]

By Kevin Goheen
Post staff reporter

The team up north - the Cleveland Browns, not the University of Michigan - is attempting to sign away more Bengals players this free agency period.

The Browns have given Bengals restricted free agent defensive tackle Shaun Smith an offer sheet, and safety Kevin Kaesviharn visited the Browns this week. Cleveland started free agency March 2 by signing left guard Eric Steinbach to a seven-year, $49.5 million contract.

Jonathan Feinsod, Smith's agent, confirmed that Smith has signed the offer sheet, while the Browns confirmed that the deal is for four years. No financial terms were released.

The Bengals have one week from the time they receive the offer sheet to either match it or lose Smith to the Browns without compensation. The Bengals do not comment on offers to their restricted free agents, said public relations director Jack Brennan, until they have decided to match the offer or not.

Smith, who has played in 29 games for the Bengals since joining the team on Dec. 1, 2004, was tendered a one-year contract worth $850,000. That "draft status" designation enables the Bengals to match any offer Smith receives. Since Smith entered the NFL as an undrafted free agent, the Bengals would not receive any compensation if they choose not to match the offer.

The Bengals lost wide receiver Kevin Walter to Houston last year as a restricted free agent. They chose not to match Houston's offer and received the Texans' seventh-round draft choice, which they used to select special teams dynamo Ethan Kilmer.

Walter had 17 catches for 160 yards and no touchdowns last season for the Texans.

Kaesviharn has already visited Arizona and New Orleans this offseason. He led the Bengals with six interceptions last season, including three in the end zone to stop opponents' scoring drives.

The Bengals are also on the verge of losing tight end Tony Stewart, one of their top special teams players. Stewart is in negotiations with the Oakland Raiders and a deal is close to being finalized, said Stewart's agent, Jerrold Colton.

"He's going to go in there with the opportunity to be a starter," said Colton. "He will miss the coaches, players and fans in Cincinnati. Unfortunately, the Bengals will be losing another great character guy at a time when they really could use them."

Colton is also the agent for Brian Simmons, whom the Bengals released last week. Simmons has since signed with the Saints.

Stewart caught 14 passes for 120 yards and one touchdown for the Bengals last season as the backup to Reggie Kelly. The Bengals re-signed Kelly to a three-year deal on Thursday. While the tight end role in the Cincinnati offense centers around the player's ability to block in the run game Stewart stood out in special teams. He was fourth on the team with 15 tackles on special teams in addition to recovering two fumbles and tipping one punt.[/quote]

[url="http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070310/SPT03/703100375/1022/RSS0302"]http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...75/1022/RSS0302[/url]

Guest oldschooler
[quote][size=5][b]Bengals' free agents finding Cleveland nice place to work[/b][/size]

By Chick Ludwig

Staff Writer

Saturday, March 10, 2007

CINCINNATI — After one week of the NFL's free agency period, this much is clear: The Cincinnati Bengals are getting raided by the Cleveland Browns.

The Browns were more like Pirates on Friday when they signed Bengals restricted free agent defensive tackle Shaun Smith to a four-year offer sheet believed to be worth about $10 million.

The Bengals have a week to match Cleveland's offer. If they decline, the Bengals will lose Smith and not receive any compensation in return because Smith entered the NFL as a nondrafted college free agent.

The move — confirmed by Smith's agent, New York-based Jonathan Feinsod — came a week after the Browns signed Bengals unrestricted free-agent left guard Eric Steinbach to a seven-year, $49.5 million contract.

Another Bengals unrestricted free agent, safety Kevin Kaesviharn, visited Cleveland on Thursday.

Speaking of raid, the Oakland Raiders have agreed to terms on a two-year deal with Bengals unrestricted free agent tight end Tony Stewart, who became expendable in Cincinnati when the Bengals re-signed starter Reggie Kelly.

"Tony will certainly miss the coaches, his teammates and the fans of the Cincinnati Bengals," New Jersey-based agent Jerrold Colton said. "Unfortunately, the Bengals will be losing another great-character guy at a time where they could really use them."

Bengals starting cornerbacks Deltha O'Neal and Johnathan Joseph had legal issues resolved this week.

On Friday, O'Neal pleaded guilty in Clermont County Municipal Court to the lesser charge of reckless operation of his vehicle in exchange for having a DUI charge dropped.

O'Neal's 30-day jail sentence was suspended. However, his driver's license was revoked for 180 days. He can only drive to and from work, and to medical appointments. He was ordered to give $1,000 to Mothers Against Drunk Driving and to continue participating in the NFL's substance-abuse program.

A Boone County (Ky.) judge on Thursday allowed Joseph to enter a diversion program for possession of marijuana.

Contact this reporter at (937) 225-2253 or cludwig@DaytonDailyNews.com[/quote]

Guest Bengals1181
[quote name='Scoutforlife591' post='454795' date='Mar 10 2007, 11:56 AM']Yet no one would admit we had the pieces for a 3-4.

There should be some fessing up.[/quote]

just because a team that runs a 3-4 scheme signs him doesn't mean he's going to be a good player in a 3-4 scheme.

Not to mention you need more than just a NT to switch to a 3-4 scheme.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='454796' date='Mar 10 2007, 12:01 PM']just because a team that runs a 3-4 scheme signs him doesn't mean he's going to be a good player in a 3-4 scheme.[/quote]

Right, but it 100% means that a professional football team from the NFL thinks he can. Over the small masses of message board posters who said he couldn't.

That about as fair as an arguement gets settled around here.

Furthermore, seeing as the LBers are already set as Landon, Geathers, Brooks, and Jeanty/Thurman/Pollack/Miller.

Then you figure Peko or Fanene plays a end spot, and we can draft someone for the other spot if we just can't find anyone else amongst versatile Bryan Robinson, or Thornton.

I've already had this arguement enough times.

Guest Bengals1181
[quote name='Scoutforlife591' post='454797' date='Mar 10 2007, 12:02 PM']Right, but it 100% means that a professional football team from the NFL thinks he can. Over the small masses of message board posters who said he couldn't.

Furthermore, seeing as the LBers are already set as Landon, Geathers, Brooks, and Jeanty/Thurman/Pollack/Miller.

Then you figure Peko or Fanene plays a end spot, and we can draft someone for the other spot if we just can't find anyone else amongst versatile Bryan Robinson, or Thornton.

I've already had this arguement enough times.[/quote]

I'll give you that the Browns coaches know more than posters on this board, but lets not put too much faith in the Browns coaches. The Browns aren't exactly the standard for football excellence, ya know?

Guest oldschooler

[quote name='Scoutforlife591' post='454797' date='Mar 10 2007, 11:02 AM']Right, but it 100% means that [b]a professional football team from the NFL thinks he can[/b].[/quote]

:huh:

I thought we were talking about the Browns ?

:whistle:

[quote name='Scoutforlife591' post='454797' date='Mar 10 2007, 12:02 PM']Right, but it 100% means that a professional football team from the NFL thinks he can. Over the small masses of message board posters who said he couldn't.

I've already had this arguement enough times.[/quote]

Wow, people argued with you about whether Shawn was NT material? That's surprising, even Hobbs has stated that in his own pieces. Not that I don't believe you. I always thought it was our LB's and DE's that didn't fit the 3-4. That and we really only had one DT that was even a possible fit at NT.

Guest Yojimbo

We don't have 1 good Linebacker, and you want to switch to a scheme that needs 4 of them?

Maybe if we signed A.T and Porter, then drafted 2 more LBs that were able to contribute right away.

Then I could see changing 2 the 3-4. Although even then, they would struggle with the "growing pains."

Plus, Chuck B's 3-4 might just be to turn his playbook upside down, so be careful what you wish for. ;)

[quote name='Bunghole' post='454501' date='Mar 10 2007, 01:24 AM'][/quote]

I can assure you that I only post as one, shouldn't be that suprising that others know whats going on even if its a small number, sometimes you have to read between the lines and not believe all the bullshit thats fed to us from this organization, its the same way with the nightly news, its probably the same people who buy in to all the garbage they feed us that buys into the Browns garbage head over heals. Sorry if I sound negative but all I have to go on is the past and have nothing else to base my opinion on but one playoff appearance in 17 years with practically the same operating procedure and it hasn't worked in the past so what makes anybody think it will work in the future?

Archived