Rose Says He Bet on the Reds Every Night

Actium

Guest schotzee
No big deal to me that he did it,but why in the hell did he not admit it long ago when that's all Selig was asking?He'd be in the Hall right now if he did.

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain
[quote name='schotzee' post='456700' date='Mar 14 2007, 05:22 PM']No big deal to me that he did it,but why in the hell did he not admit it long ago when that's all Selig was asking?He'd be in the Hall right now if he did.[/quote]
He admitted to selig 1 year before his book came out. Selig was all for reinstating him and then something happend and he changed his mind. But yeah he did admit a while ago.

Guest schotzee
[quote name='A-Men-HouseofPain' post='456705' date='Mar 14 2007, 05:30 PM']He admitted to selig 1 year before his book came out. Selig was all for reinstating him and then something happend and he changed his mind. But yeah he did admit a while ago.[/quote]

Didn't know that.

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain
[quote name='schotzee' post='456707' date='Mar 14 2007, 05:35 PM']Didn't know that.[/quote]
part of it was in that article, if u read it and i know many people dont unless its pasted on this page haha.

[quote]"I quit worrying about it," Rose said about the Hall. The former Reds great said that he thought he was going to be reinstated when he met with commissioner Bud Selig before his book came out. Rose said he met with Selig about a year before the book came out and told him everything that was in the book.

"I really thought I was going to be reinstated. Something changed [Selig's] mind," Rose said.[/quote]

[quote name='schotzee' post='456700' date='Mar 14 2007, 04:22 PM']No big deal to me that he did it,but why in the hell did he not admit it long ago when that's all Selig was asking?He'd be in the Hall right now if he did.[/quote]

That's how I feel. His coverup over the years was painful and he should have fessed up from the get-go. Interesting that now he claims he doesn't care about the Hall, he just wants to manage and be a part of the game again.

He will be remembered forever as one of the Immortal Greats, even if he never gets into the HoF.

[quote name='CatScratchFever' post='456730' date='Mar 14 2007, 05:32 PM']First, he made bets, but not on baseball.

Then, he admits he bet on baseball, but not while he was managing.

Next, he admits to betting on baseball while managing, but not on the Reds.

Now, he bet on the Reds, but always bet on them to win.

Wanna bet on where this is headed next?[/quote]

He's the one who shot JFK?

[quote name='Bunghole' post='456779' date='Mar 14 2007, 08:08 PM']That guy is a redneck asshole that happened to be a great player on my favorite baseball team. He's a complete jerk.[/quote]

[color="#FF0000"][b]Racist.[/b][/color]

[quote name='Bunghole' post='456783' date='Mar 14 2007, 08:16 PM']Yep.

[img]http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/2968/kkkat4.gif[/img][/quote]

:lol:

[color="#FF0000"][b]Im going to use that every time I call people racists.[/b][/color]

[quote name='Bunghole' post='456779' date='Mar 15 2007, 09:08 AM']That guy is a redneck asshole that happened to be a great player on my favorite baseball team. He's a complete jerk.[/quote]

Amen. When I was about 10 years old my older sister took me to Arby's and Pete pulls up in a Porsche. Of course everyone was excited about him being there. I got a napkin and asked for an autograph. He says to me "You have a pen?" and I, being my 10 year old self, said "no." He got this really pissed off look on his face and said "Don't you ever come prepared for anything?" Needless to say that leaves a very big impression on a 10 year old boy. Fuck him!
MULLY
if I had that napkin now I'd wipe my ass with it.

[quote name='Fulcher_33' post='456793' date='Mar 14 2007, 08:35 PM']Amen. When I was about 10 years old my older sister took me to Arby's and Pete pulls up in a Porsche. Of course everyone was excited about him being there. I got a napkin and asked for an autograph. [b]He says to me "You have a pen?" and I, being my 10 year old self, said "no." He got this really pissed off look on his face and said "Don't you ever come prepared for anything?" Needless to say that leaves a very big impression on a 10 year old boy. Fuck him![/b]MULLY
if I had that napkin now I'd wipe my ass with it.[/quote]

[color="#FF0000"] [b]:o

Get the fuck outta here !?! He actually said that to you? If I was your dad, I would've
beat Pete's ass for that.

Wow.

But answer this, if Rose is so much of an asshole, why does so many worship
his ass?[/b][/color]

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain

[quote name='sneaky' post='456814' date='Mar 14 2007, 09:01 PM'][color="#FF0000"] [b]:o

Get the fuck outta here !?! He actually said that to you? If I was your dad, I would've

Wow.

But answer this, if Rose is so much of an asshole, why does so many worship
his ass?[/b][/color][/quote]
whenever ive met him it was a great experience. now johnny bitch was the biggest asshole ive ever met.

[quote]Get the fuck outta here !?! He actually said that to you? If I was your dad, I would've

Wow.[/quote]

Yeah, but it was just me and my 15 year old sister. Looking back on it....I think he could have taken us. Hehe!

[quote]But answer this, if Rose is so much of an asshole, why do so many worship
his ass?[/quote]

They've obviously never had the treat of meeting him.
MULLY
Even though I hate him I still think he should be in the HOF

[quote name='sneaky' post='456814' date='Mar 14 2007, 09:01 PM'][color="#FF0000"] [b]But answer this, if Rose is so much of an asshole, why does so many worship
his ass?[/b][/color][/quote]
because he is a great player... a massive douchebag, but a great player nonetheless

[quote][size=3][b]Rose bet on Reds 'every night'[/b][/size]
Hit King denies he bet selected games

BY JOHN ERARDI | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

Fresh off a visit to Cincinnati for a private showing of a major exhibit on his playing career, Pete Rose told ESPN radio on Wednesday that he bet on the Reds "every night" when he was the team's manager.

Rose said John Dowd, whose report on Rose's gambling habits led to Rose's banishment from Baseball in 1989, was correct when he wrote in the Dowd Report that Rose bet on the Reds nightly.

"I bet on my team every night," Rose told ESPN's Dan Patrick and Keith Olbermann. "I didn't bet on my team four nights a week. I was wrong."

But Rose mischaracterized what is in the Dowd Report. For example, it says Rose bet on the Reds 52 times in 1987. Each Major League Baseball team plays 162 games.

Dowd, who could not be reached for comment Wednesday, has said that when Rose didn't bet on the Reds, it was a signal to bookies that it might be a good night to bet on the Reds' opponent.

That is why baseball's rules against betting draw no distinction between a principal in a game betting on his team or against it.

Patrick Courtney, a spokesman for Major League Baseball, said MLB had no comment on Rose's remarks. It was MLB which gave the Reds permission to stage a year-long major exhibit on Rose's playing career that opens to the public Saturday at the Reds Hall of Fame and Museum.

Rose told ESPN that he believed in his Reds team so much that he always bet on them to win.

"I bet on my team to win every night because I love my team, I believe in my team," he said. "I did everything in my power every night to win that game."

It isn't clear why Rose feels it helps his case now to share this.. Rose could not be reached for comment.

Rose accepted a lifetime baseball ban in 1989 for gambling, thinking he would eventually return to baseball's good graces. But when then-commissioner Bart Giamatti died a short time later, it made Rose's case for reinstatement more difficult.

After 15 years of denying he bet on baseball games, Rose publicly confessed his guilt in a book in January 2004 after privately admitting it to commissioner Bud Selig.[/quote]

[url="http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070315/SPT04/703150351/1071/SPT"]Enquirer.com[/url]

[quote][size=3][b]Dowd disputes Rose claim[/b][/size]

BY JOHN ERARDI | JERARDI@ENQUIRER.COM

John Dowd, who wrote the 1989 report that resulted in Pete Rose being banned from Baseball, said today that Rose did not bet on the Reds every night, when Rose was the Reds' manager.

That counters what Rose told ESPN radio in an interview Wednesday. Rose told Dan Patrick and Keith Olbermann that he bet on the Reds "every night" when he was the team's manager.

Rose also told the radio station that the Dowd Report noted that Rose bet on every game while he was the Reds manager.

No so, says Dowd.

"When (Mario) Soto and (Bill) Gullickson pitched, he didn't bet on the Reds," Dowd said on Thursday, when reached at his Washington, D.C. office. "We only put in the report what we could find and corroborate three different ways."

Dowd said he thinks Rose is hoping the admission will help him gain reinstatement into Baseball. Rose has been banned since 1989.

"Sounds to me like he's pandering to the commissioner. It's as though he's saying 'If I just say it this way, they'll let me me back in the game.'"

Dowd said he thought this wasn't a sound strategy for reinstatement.

"OK, he's now admitted he violated the capital crime of baseball every single day. Now he's saying 'I violated Rule 21 every day.' And baseball is now supposed to let him back into the game?"

The Dowd Report says Rose bet on the Reds 52 times in 1987. Each Major League Baseball team plays 162 games.

Dowd has said that when Rose didn't bet on the Reds, it was a signal to bookies that it might be a good night to bet on the Reds' opponent.

That is why baseball's rules against betting draw no distinction between a principal in a game betting on his team or against it.

Patrick Courtney, a spokesman for Major League Baseball, said MLB had no comment on Rose's remarks. It was MLB which gave the Reds permission to stage a year-long major exhibit on Rose's playing career that opens to the public Saturday at the Reds Hall of Fame and Museum.

Rose told ESPN that he believed in his Reds team so much that he always bet on them to win.

"I bet on my team to win every night because I love my team, I believe in my team," he said. "I did everything in my power every night to win that game."

It isn't clear why Rose feels it helps his case now to share this.. Rose could not be reached for comment.

Rose accepted a lifetime baseball ban in 1989 for gambling, thinking he would eventually return to baseball's good graces. But when then-commissioner Bart Giamatti died a short time later, it made Rose's case for reinstatement more difficult.

After 15 years of denying he bet on baseball games, Rose publicly confessed his guilt in a book in January 2004 after privately admitting it to commissioner Bud Selig.[/quote]

[url="http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070315/SPT04/703150351/1078/COL02"]Enquirer.com[/url]

Guest oldschooler
[quote][size=5][b]Truth Is Revealed in Bets Rose Didn’t Make [/b][/size]

By MURRAY CHASS
Published: March 16, 2007

Pete Rose still can’t get it right. He said in a radio interview Wednesday that when he managed the Cincinnati Reds in the 1980’s, “I bet on my team every night.”

“I didn’t bet on my team four nights a week,” he added in an interview on Dan Patrick’s show on ESPN radio. “I bet on my team to win every night because I love my team, I believe in my team. I did everything in my power every night to win that game.”

But the 65-year-old Rose, either from selective memory or from advancing age, forgot one player he didn’t believe in — Reds starting pitcher Bill Gullickson, the player whose games Rose basically stopped betting.

Rose’s chronology of his own betting habits has a long history. For 15 years, he denied that he had bet on baseball games when he managed the Reds. To some people, he was very convincing.

Indeed, critics of Rose’s lifetime ban disparaged A. Bartlett Giamatti, the commissioner who banned him; Fay Vincent, Giamatti’s deputy and successor; and John Dowd, the Washington lawyer whose voluminous report nailed Rose. Some of the critics wrote entire books about the Rose scandal, finding fault with the evidence against him.

When Rose, the career leader in major league hits, finally admitted in his 2004 book that he had bet on baseball and established that he had lied for 15 years, few of those critics acknowledged their gullibility. But this isn’t about Rose’s naïve defenders. It’s about Rose getting it wrong — again.

Contrary to what he said in the Wednesday radio interview, Rose did not bet on Reds games nightly. The record Dowd created demonstrated that there were games on which Rose did not bet. It was those games that represented the response to his supporters who said it was no big deal if Rose bet on games as long as he didn’t bet on the Reds to lose.

[b]According to the Dowd report, which included a diary of bets that Rose made on Reds games and many others — it listed bets on 390 games over all, 52 of them involving the Reds, in a three-month period in 1987 — Rose developed a consistency of not betting on certain contests.[/b]

In particular, Rose stopped betting on Reds games that Gullickson started. If Rose bet on his team to win other games but didn’t bet on Gullickson’s games, he was sending a signal to the bookies he was betting with that he, as manager of the team, didn’t think much of his team’s chances in those games.

As far as his betting pattern was concerned, Rose might as well have bet against the Reds in those games. Such wagers would have sent the same message to the bookies: “I don’t expect us to win these games.”

In that 1987 period for which Dowd found betting slips, from April 7 to July 4, Rose didn’t withhold his wagering money on all of Gullickson’s games. Initially, Rose fared well in Gullickson’s games. The same couldn’t be said for at least some of the other games Rose bet on.

For example, the records showed that in 69 instances, Rose bet $2,500 or more on a game. Astoundingly, he lost 64 of those 69, which computes to a .072 success rate. Had Rose had that kind of average at the plate, he wouldn’t have lasted long enough to get 200 hits, let alone 200 hits in 10 separate seasons.

As for Gullickson, Rose won the first four times he bet on games the pitcher started. But then he lost two of the next three. The report listed no Rose baseball bets for the ensuing two weeks, a stretch in which Gullickson, a right-hander, started three games.

When the records resumed, they showed that Rose had, for the most part, lost confidence in Gullickson. The manager placed no bets on Gullickson’s next four starts, five of his next six and six of his next eight.

In that span, from May 30 through July 4, the Reds played 25 other games and Rose failed to place a bet on only 3 of those games. Ted Power, Ron Robinson and Guy Hoffman started those games.

The absence of Reds bets in those instances did not mean that Rose had simply taken the day off from wagering. On one occasion, he bet on 10 other games not involving the Reds; in another instance, he bet on 5.

Gullickson, meanwhile, was not completely useless to the Reds, contrary to his manager’s betting strategy. In that period from May 30 to July 4, Gullickson started six games for which there were no betting slips. The Reds won three of the six. In the two games in that period in which Rose did bet with Gullickson on the mound, the Reds split.

But clearly, Rose didn’t have much confidence in Gullickson. And the Reds ended their manager’s quandary by trading Gullickson to the Yankees for Dennis Rasmussen on Aug. 26.[/quote]

[url="http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/16/sports/baseball/16chass.html?_r=2&ref=sports&oref=slogin&oref=slogin"]http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/16/sports/b...amp;oref=slogin[/url]

[quote name='Bunghole' post='456779' date='Mar 14 2007, 07:08 PM']That guy is a redneck asshole that happened to be a great player on my favorite baseball team. He's a complete jerk.[/quote]
Yep.

"Waaaaahhhhh....I'm Pete Rose and I fucked up but honor me anyway." FUCK PETE ROSE

[quote name='Hooky' post='457540' date='Mar 16 2007, 01:57 PM']I've always hated him. Grudgingly rooted for him when he was with the Reds, but hated him personally.[/quote]

Do they have any kind of 4192 shrine or is that taboo also? They should have that but no enshrinement. If e gets a bust, they should hang the HBO Hu$tle movie poster behind it.

[quote name='schotzee' post='456700' date='Mar 14 2007, 09:22 PM']No big deal to me that he did it,but why in the hell did he not admit it long ago when that's all Selig was asking?He'd be in the Hall right now if he did.[/quote]
yup

[quote name='Bunghole' post='456779' date='Mar 15 2007, 12:08 AM']That guy is a redneck asshole that happened to be a great player on my favorite baseball team. He's a complete jerk.[/quote]
yup again.

How sad is this guy that first he lies about betting at all, and now apparently he's lying to exaggerate about how much he did bet? He truly is a sad man. One of my favorite players because he always played hard, but that was about the extent of his positive qualities from what I can see.

Archived