Sabby Piscitelli

Apparently the Bengals have scouted him, and many experts have him going in the second round.

I've heard some people say, he can cover well, I hope we draft him, but others have said 'he's not a Marvin type safety who can only play in the box' and will be better off converting to LB (a la Thomas Davis). But my argument is, how comes he has played both free safety and strong safety in college and also played cornerback in a pinch, and yet is being compared to Adam Archuleta and John Lynch. Those guys are definitely more short range in-the-box safeties, but is Piscitelli really more than just an in-the-box guy that some people seem to think he is.

Has anyone here seen him play at college, what does everyone think about his fit for the Bengals? Can he actually cover well enough to be effective in the Bengals' scheme?

There seem to be as many divided opinions of this guy as any other player in the draft.

I don't think he is an in the box type saftey. I think everyone thinks that because of his size. I think he one of the best all around safteys in the draft. Here are a few sites.

[b]Overview[/b] Sabby has started 27 consecutive games and has played in all 30 games in his college career. He is as durable as it comes and will gladly play with pain. He was one of the best safeties in the Pac-10 this year, as saw limited action at cornerback.
[b]Strengths[/b] Sabby is a very fast underrated prospect coming from Oregon St. He is tall, strong, and runs a 4.35 40, a ridiculously fast 40 time for a safety. He is always around the ball and makes big plays when his defense needs it most. He also has very good hands, finishing with 15 career interceptions, top 10 on Oregon State's all time list. Great in coverage, and good in run support. Sabby is tough as nails, very durable, and is a gerat leader among the defense.
[b]Weaknesses[/b] At times Sabby can really let down in a game. Not always the best tackler, needs to work on tackling mechanics a bit. Sometimes takes bad angles to the ballcarrier. Isn't nearly physical enough for a player his size.
[b]Projection[/b] Sabby is not among the elite safety prospects this year. There is incredible depth at the position and therefore someone like Sabby will fall. In any other year, I'd say he'd be a 2nd rounder for sure, but in a year like this one, I'd say mid-3rd round.

Another site
[b]Pros: [/b]Sabby is a smart DB who could change his name to Savvy without arousing much complaint. He has the tools teams lookf for in an NFL safety, with good athletic ability and good cover skills. He can play centerfield, or come up and deal with TEs coming down the middle of the field. Compares well with former NFL safety Jason Seahorn before injuries derailed his career.
[b]Cons:[/b] He's not a particulary good tackler, and thats a big part of what most strong safties do, so he might be better as a FS in the pros. Can get bulldozered by powerful runners despite his size, so needs to work on this or he will get embarressed at times.

I have been saying a while I would love to have this guy.

Sabby Piscitelli S Oregon St

STRENGTHS

Sabby is an excellent athlete and is a very smart player. He has very good size, strength and speed to play the safety position. Sabby excels in pass defense and shows very good leadership skills. His cover skills will help the team that drafts him to take on those big WR’s one-on-one the closer the opponents gets to the end zone. Sabby has enough speed and smarts to be used as a single free safety and will be an intimidating presence on the field for a QB who wants to throw deep to take advantage of a single safety defense with play action. Sabby can also cover those pass catching TE’s and big slot receivers; he will be the reason a team starts to get a lot of coverage sacks. He reminds me of Jason Sehorn (former S Garden St Giants). He also has the same type of talent that Ko Simpson (S Buffalo Bills) had coming out in the draft last year.

NEEDS TO IMPROVE

Sabby is not a great tackler. He is a good, solid tackler but he is not a linebacker-type tackler. I would not move him to OLB position just because of his size. I’m sure he will try to improve his tackling. He will have more impact as a safety.

TALENT BOARD ROUND: 2

If Sabby were a head up, wrap up, squeeze and drive tackler, he would be a 1st rounder for sure. He is not an OLB because the closer he is to the line of scrimmage, the more you magnify the fact that he is more of a catcher than an attacker. Don’t get me wrong, you can use him in the box to help stop the run, but don’t look for him to put anyone on their backs -– he is not that type of tackler. Sabby reminds me a lot Jason Sehorn and is about as fast and as quick like Jason was. I have no doubt that he might be able to handle some return duties like Jason did also. Sabby is very smart and has a way of getting into the head of a QB, which is something that cannot be measured. Last year, Ko Simpson did not get drafted until the fourth round, but he started every game as a rookie and I suspect Sabby might have the same thing happen to him. I also suspect that Sabby will have the same impact for the team that drafts him as Ko has had for his team this year. Go look at the stats and you will see that not many teams passed deep on the Bills last year and they used Ko in a lot of single safety formations so that Whitner could help out in run defense. Sabby could have that same type of impact for the team that drafts him this year.

Drew Boylhart

February/2007

[quote name='Kochman' post='467309' date='Apr 5 2007, 02:55 PM']I don't think he is an in the box type saftey. I think everyone thinks that because of his size. I think he one of the best all around safteys in the draft. Here are a few sites.

[b]Overview[/b] Sabby has started 27 consecutive games and has played in all 30 games in his college career. He is as durable as it comes and will gladly play with pain. He was one of the best safeties in the Pac-10 this year, as saw limited action at cornerback.
[b]Strengths[/b] Sabby is a very fast underrated prospect coming from Oregon St. He is tall, strong, and runs a 4.35 40, a ridiculously fast 40 time for a safety. He is always around the ball and makes big plays when his defense needs it most. He also has very good hands, finishing with 15 career interceptions, top 10 on Oregon State's all time list. Great in coverage, and good in run support. Sabby is tough as nails, very durable, and is a gerat leader among the defense.
[b]Weaknesses[/b] At times Sabby can really let down in a game. Not always the best tackler, needs to work on tackling mechanics a bit. Sometimes takes bad angles to the ballcarrier. Isn't nearly physical enough for a player his size.
[b]Projection[/b] Sabby is not among the elite safety prospects this year. There is incredible depth at the position and therefore someone like Sabby will fall. In any other year, I'd say he'd be a 2nd rounder for sure, but in a year like this one, I'd say mid-3rd round.

Another site
[b]Pros: [/b]Sabby is a smart DB who could change his name to Savvy without arousing much complaint. He has the tools teams lookf for in an NFL safety, with good athletic ability and good cover skills. He can play centerfield, or come up and deal with TEs coming down the middle of the field. Compares well with former NFL safety Jason Seahorn before injuries derailed his career.
[b]Cons:[/b] He's not a particulary good tackler, and thats a big part of what most strong safties do, so he might be better as a FS in the pros. Can get bulldozered by powerful runners despite his size, so needs to work on this or he will get embarressed at times.
I have been saying a while I would love to have this guy.[/quote]

"That creep can roll man"!!!! LOL Love the profile pic!

I feel better about this guy now. I say grab him in the 2nd, it won't be a reach IMO. It just depends where he ranks in the BENGALS BIG DRAFT BOARD.

KK couldn't tackle but was still effective to a degree, and by the sounds of it this guy will be alot better than he ever was. Even if he doesn't oust D-Jax he will turn the Bengals' depth at safety from a weakness into a strength.

Guest Patmo
Give me Nelson,Griffin or Weddle.Sabby projected a late 3rd rounder.If we have to wait for a safety.I'll take Wendling in the 4th round.

[quote name='Patmo' post='467317' date='Apr 5 2007, 05:06 PM']Give me Nelson,Griffin or Weddle.Sabby projected a late 3rd rounder.If we have to wait for a safety.I'll take Wendling in the 4th round.[/quote]

He seems like a 3rd rounder to me...But I really believe we're going to end up with a 3rd rounder, so...You just never know.

BZ

Guest BengalBacker
I don't know shit about him, but I don't want anyone named Sabby Piscitelli on my team !!!

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/33.gif[/img]

[quote name='BengalBacker' post='467524' date='Apr 6 2007, 01:49 AM']I don't know shit about him, but I don't want anyone named Sabby Piscitelli on my team !!!
[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//33.gif[/img][/quote]
:huh:

[quote name='BengalBacker' post='467524' date='Apr 6 2007, 02:49 AM']I don't know shit about him, but I don't want anyone named Sabby Piscitelli on my team !!!
[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//33.gif[/img][/quote]

Didn't we have another safety that couldn't tackle, ...oh yeah, ..."Oldlady."

...and now you guys want another one? :blink:

[quote name='Jeb' post='467556' date='Apr 6 2007, 08:32 AM']Didn't we have another safety that couldn't tackle, ...oh yeah, ..."Oldlady."

...and now you guys want another one? :blink:[/quote]

[b]YES!!!! Don't you understand? We need another guy to take the place of KK in those photos where he just gets absolutely trucked by a runnign back. Now that hes's gone to New Orleans, who are we gonna get in those types of pictures now? :shakesfist: [/b]

:P :ninja:

[quote name='DanvilleBengal' post='467614' date='Apr 6 2007, 11:12 AM'][b]YES!!!! Don't you understand? We need another guy to take the place of KK in those photos where he just gets absolutely trucked by a runnign back. Now that hes's gone to New Orleans, who are we gonna get in those types of pictures now? :shakesfist: [/b]
:P :ninja:[/quote]

Oh, ...well then, ...carry on! :blink:

[quote name='Patmo' post='467317' date='Apr 5 2007, 04:06 PM']Give me Nelson,Griffin or Weddle.Sabby projected a late 3rd rounder.If we have to wait for a safety.I'll take Wendling in the 4th round.[/quote]

I think Wendling would be a perfect 4th rounder for the Bengals. I'd like Sabby in the 3rd but not in the 2nd.

Archived