Making a Mock-ery of it all

[url="http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=5998"]http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=5998[/url]

The link is a article that a editor made about the draft up to #18.

They have us picking Beason from Miami.

Not a bad pick, but if pick up Hartwell, I dont see us going with a LB in the 1st round, and even if we dont, I still see us going after the secondary.

[quote name='chenry15' post='475314' date='Apr 20 2007, 01:57 PM'][url="http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=5998"]http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=5998[/url]

The link is a article that a editor made about the draft up to #18.

They have us picking Beason from Miami.

Not a bad pick, but if pick up Hartwell, I dont see us going with a LB in the 1st round, and even if we dont, I still see us going after the secondary.[/quote]
[b]I'd be happy with Beason..two years ago Gil Brandt was right on the $$$ when he had us picking Pollack...[/b]

Guest fredtoast
Right now our LB corp has one proven starter (Johnson), two guys who play for one of the worst defenses in the league and still only start when someone was out (Jeanty, Miller), and then a buch of question marks(Brooks has the physical skills but hasn't proven that he has the drive or mental capacity to be a starting MLB. Nicholoson had injury issues early last year, but even when he was healthy he couldn't make the active roster despite all the injuries we had. Henderson wasn't even drafted and he has never played LB. Fraizer is a good special teams player, but nothing more.)

I think ther is plenty of room for both a high draft pick and Hartwell (especially on a deal for only one year).

BTW Odell will get another shot in the NFL, but it probably won't be with the Bengals. He hasn't had enough legal trouble to get kicked out of the league, but I don't think the Bengals will care. Odell's unexplained failure to show up on time for training camp last year pissed Marvin off more than any of his legal problems.

I'm still hoping that he will return (not the "probably" in my statement above). We need him desperately. I just have a bad feeling that he is a goner.

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain
[quote]Making a Mock-ery of it all

By GEOFF HOBSON
April 20, 2007

Posted: 1:30 p.m.

The Bengals.com Annual Media Mock Draft, culled from representatives ranging from NFL national writers to teams’ daily beat reporters and ending with Cincinnati's pick at 18, maybe isn't a best-case scenario for the Bengals.

NFL.com’s Gil Brandt, legendary Cowboys personnel man from the Tom Landry era, again made the Bengals pick this year. (It’s like being the honorary starter at the Masters.)

He faced a board in which 10 defensive players had been picked and flush in the middle of a run in which nine of the last 11 players came from the defensive side of the ball.

Remember, we have to talk consensus here because no one really knows where the teams have these guys rated.

Look, it’s called a Mock for a reason.

No one really knows, but humor us for a moment. Really, you’re just trying to get 17 picks off the board to see what’s left.

So say without being able to choose from the consensus top four secondary prospects, the top middle linebacker, and the three top defensive linemen, here are the questions facing the Bengals:

Does a team with the 30th ranked defense seriously discuss the two top available offensive players in Miami of Florida tight end Greg Olsen or Ohio State wide receiver Ted Ginn?

How big is the gap between the four top secondary players and the next tier?

What about possible big-time slides, if, say, somebody like Michigan tackle Alan Branch doesn’t go right away?

Effort answers:

There are those that think No. 18 is just too high for Olsen and they wonder if he’s too one dimensional. Ginn says he wants to play defense, which makes him a projection. Add to that if the Bengals didn’t take Hester in the second round last year, what makes you think they’d take Ginn in the first round this year?

So, you’d guess no offense.

There’s no telling who the Bengals have in their secondary secondary tier. Consensus is Arkansas cornerback Chris Houston, Texas cornerback Aaron Ross and Texas safety Michael Griffin, but they may think No. 18 is too high for any of them.

And maybe some of them won't even be there because the two teams picking in front of the Bengals, the Packers and Jaguars, are sniffing around for defensive backs.

Which brings you to the next linebacker. But the Bengals haven’t drafted a true college linebacker in the first round since Takeo Spikes and Brian Simmons in 1998, and you wonder if they think the position is worth a first-round impact. Remember, when they took David Pollack at No. 17 in 2005, it was as a pass rusher even though they moved him from end to linebacker.

Don’t look for the Bengals to jump on any slides for any reason, such as possibly with two D-tackles in Branch (yet to find potential) and Tennessee's Justin Harrell (bicep problem) In the wake of the off-field problems and injuries of the past two drafts, look for safe picks.

And Brandt gave them one.

1. RAIDERS: QB JaMarcus Russel, LSU: For the sake of sanity and so it doesn’t screw up everybody’s mock right away, take Russell here. It’s not a reach to see Al Davis going for Calvin Johnson, but he’ll look at the quarterback options and not find many acceptable after Russell. John Clayton, ESPN.com

2. BUCS (Trade with Lions): WR Calvin Johnson, Georgia Tech: I disagree with a lot of people on this, but I think the Bus can sit at No. 4 and still get Johnson because Detroit is going for the tackle and Cleveland is going for the quarterback and people want a king’s ransom for the pick. If I’m the Bucs, I don’t give up their two second-rounders. Johnson is a dynamic player who makes the running game, the quarterback (who ever it is) and everything else on the offense better. Chris Harry, Orlando Sentinel

3. BROWNS: QB Brady Quinn, Notre Dame: They can’t keep passing up potential franchise quarterbacks this high in the draft. They haven’t taken one since their first pick when they came back in the league in Tim Couch. I think they think it’s time. People keep pointing to Quinn’s 2-8 record against good teams, but I think the Browns feel he raised Notre Dame’s level. Tony Grossi, Cleveland Plain-Dealer

4. LIONS (Trade with Bucs): LT Joe Thomas, Wisconsin: With the Lions at No. 2 and Russell gone, at this point you trade down because they want Thomas. He’s a solid pick at a premium position. Mike O’Hara, Detroit News

5. CARDINALS: RB Adrian Peterson, Oklahoma: They’d love it if Thomas fell to them, but they’ll gladly take Peterson. Edgerrin James is getting up there (29 this season) and he’s never run with a fullback in front of him. New coach Ken Whisenhunt used one fullback much of the time as the stealers offensive coordinator. Len Pasquarelli, ESPN.com.

6. REDSKINS: DT Amobi Okoye, Louisville: They want a defensive end, but they want him later because they think it’s too high for what they like. If they can’t trade out, they’ll go with the rarer position. They don’t want the top-rated defensive end here, Gaines Adams, because they feel he’s too similar to the guy they have on the other size in the undersized Andre Carter. David Elfin, Washington Times

7. VIKINGS: DE Gaines Adams, Clemson: Adams being there would be one of the great surprises in draft history. The Vikings will be disappointed Peterson isn’t there, but it will take them 30 seconds to get over it and put Adams’ name on the card. Even if Peterson is on the board, they’ll be tempted to trade down for multiple picks. Peter King, Sports Illustrated

8. FALCONS: S LaRon Landry, LSU: It looks like new offensive coordinator Hue Jackson doesn’t get a wideout for quarterback Michael Vick. But Landry is a high-impact player that addresses short- and long-term needs. Chris Crocker, who got beat deep often last season, can now move closer to the line of scrimmage. Steve Wyche, Atlanta Journal-Constitution

9. DOLPHINS: LT Levi Brown, Penn State: They’ll take a long look at Ted Ginn. Okoye isn’t a 3-4 nose tackle. Brown makes sense. They haven’t had a staple at left tackle since perennial Pro Bowler Richmond Webb left to go to the Bengals in 2001. Yes, Webb was the draft’s ninth pick in 1990. Alex Marvez, South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

10. TEXANS: CB Leon Hall, Michigan: They could pick the other top corner, Darrelle Revis. I think they’ll go corner because in a division with Peyton Manning and Vince Young, you need them. Pete Prisco, CBS Sportsline

11 49ERS: MLB Patrick Willis, Mississippi: They coached him at the Senior Bowl and fell in love with him. He gives them a much needed presence and athleticism in the middle of a defense that finished in the bottom 10 of the league in yards allowed. Matt Maiocco, Santa Rosa Press Democrat

12. BILLS: RB Marshawn Lynch, Florida: They believe Lynch is a franchise back, but they would only take him here if Peterson and Willis are gone. In this scenario they’d be looking to trade down. Allen Wilson, Buffalo News

13. RAMS: DE Adam Carriker, Nebraska: Assuming they don’t trade for Panthers defensive tackle Kris Jenkins. Carriker showed up for his draft visit weighing 308 pounds, up from about 295. So at 6-6, they think he’s strong enough and ready right now to play both end and tackle in a 4-3. If they trade for Jenkins, look for Ohio State wider receiver Ted Ginn. Jim Thomas, St. Louis Post-Dispatch

14 PANTHERS: S Reggie Nelson, Florida: With Willis gone, do they break the Bengals’ hearts? They want Nelson here because Mike Minter is their only legit NFL safety and they see Nelson as a true center-fielder the franchise has never had. They believe Nelson, voted MVP by his national champion teammates, is a solid character guy. There are rumblings about Ginn because they don’t want Steve Smith and Chris Gamble to return kicks any more. Pat Yasinskas, Charlotte Observer

15. stealers: CB Darrelle Revis, pissburgh: After basically knocking them out of the playoffs the last two years, do the stealers edge out the Bengals on Draft Day for their hometown guy? People are talking about Florida State linebacker Lawrence Timmons, but it’s not a lock with a former secondary coach now the head man in Mike Tomlin. Ed Bouchette, pissburgh Post-Gazette.

16. PACKERS: DT Alan Branch, Michigan: They could use a player at any spot. Revis is a consideration with Al Harris now 32 and Charles Woodson 30. They could also use a receiver with Donald Driver getting older, but at this point Branch is most likely the highest-rated guy on their board.Pete Dougherty, Green Bay Press-Gazette.

17. JAGUARS: DE Jamaal Anderson, Arkansas: With no Nelson and no Revis, they’ll be thinking about defensive end with Reggie Hayward coming back from a torn Achilles and their depth at that spot not nearly what it is in the Pro Bowl tackle spot of John Henderson and Marcus Stroud. Vito Stellino, Florida Times-Union.

18. BENGALS: LB Jon Beason, Miami of Florida: They would be filling a need while also not jumping out of a category or reaching. At 6-0, 235 pounds, he plays a lot taller than his measurables. He came into college as a running back, and he’s real athletic and ran around enough to get (91 tackles this year). He can play all three spots.

(Penn State’s Paul) Posluszny is a guy that is going to be a good solid pro for 11 years. Ginn is a talented guy and this is a copycat league and Devin Hester did well as a returner. But looking at what the Bengals need and where they are on the board, Beason is the best player here.

He’s a good person. He’s going to be spending Draft Day in a bowling alley in South Beach with his family. You’ll know where to find him. Gil Brandt, NFL.com[/quote]

post the article if you are going to make the thread.

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain
[quote name='fredtoast' post='475365' date='Apr 20 2007, 02:34 PM']Right now our LB corp has one proven starter (Johnson), two guys who play for one of the worst defenses in the league and still only start when someone was out (Jeanty, Miller), and then a buch of question marks(Brooks has the physical skills but hasn't proven that he has the drive or mental capacity to be a starting MLB. Nicholoson had injury issues early last year, but even when he was healthy he couldn't make the active roster despite all the injuries we had. Henderson wasn't even drafted and he has never played LB. Fraizer is a good special teams player, but nothing more.)

I think ther is plenty of room for both a high draft pick and Hartwell (especially on a deal for only one year).
[b]
BTW Odell will get another shot in the NFL, but it probably won't be with the Bengals. He hasn't had enough legal trouble to get kicked out of the league, but I don't think the Bengals will care. Odell's unexplained failure to show up on time for training camp last year pissed Marvin off more than any of his legal problems.[/b]

I'm still hoping that he will return (not the "probably" in my statement above). We need him desperately. I just have a bad feeling that he is a goner.[/quote]
unexplained? it was explained, just not to the media. Marvin knew what he was doing down there. Odell will be back as a Bengal, anyone who says other wise is nuts. They arent going to release him, period.

[quote name='New Jersey Bengal' post='475321' date='Apr 20 2007, 02:00 PM'][b]I'd be happy with Beason..two years ago Gil Brandt was right on the $$$ when he had us picking Pollack...[/b][/quote]

i'd much rather see us pick up hartwell. he's experienced and ready to go. that allows us additional time to analyse what we do with pollack and thurman. it gives us time to see if jeanty grows as a starter, and allows us see if eric henderson makes the conversion. and it especially gives us an insurance policy should brooks not develop quite as fast as we might have hoped for.

that, in turn, allows us to use that valuable 1st rounder on a position group that's quite possibly a bigger need.

we likely have enough young talent at linebacker, what we need is an experienced guy to get us over the hump, and allow them to grow.

that's the way i see it, anyway.

[quote name='A-Men-HouseofPain' post='475371' date='Apr 20 2007, 02:42 PM']unexplained? it was explained, just not to the media. Marvin knew what he was doing down there. Odell will be back as a Bengal, anyone who says other wise is nuts. They arent going to release him, period.[/quote]

:( i hope your right, i wanna see him in bengals gear again.

Guest fredtoast
[quote name='A-Men-HouseofPain' post='475371' date='Apr 20 2007, 02:42 PM']unexplained? it was explained, just not to the media. Marvin knew what he was doing down there. Odell will be back as a Bengal, anyone who says other wise is nuts. They arent going to release him, period.[/quote]

I don't know when it was explained, but Marvin was clearly pissed as hell when it happened and said he didn't know why Odell wasn't there.

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain

[quote name='jza10304' post='475388' date='Apr 20 2007, 03:21 PM']Settle down some
:ninja:[/quote]
im settled. i jsut gave him some constructive criticism. i dont wanna have to go to that gay ass website ran by hobonuts.

I absolutely don't have the stomach for a first round linebacker. Since Marvin has been head coach, the Bengals have drafted a ton of LBs with the premium picks. I count Ahmad Brooks with this year's draft class, so we've already invested a third rounder in yet another linebacker. I don't know what the front office does if all four defensive lineman and all four defensive backs are gone by pick 18. They might want to trade down, but that requires a trading partner. Maybe there isn't one. There doesn't seem to be a consensus on which defensive player to draft this year in the middle of the first. You could easily get as productive player at pick 30 as you could with pick 12.

I think Carolina, pissburgh and Jacksonville hold the key to the first round for the Bengals. At least one of them needs to draft something other than a defensive lineman or a defensive back...maybe even two of them. If still available, I believe pissburgh takes Revis and Jacksonville takes Nelson. Hope I'm wrong.

Archived