I am really, really, beginning to like this Marvin White kid.......

Guest ONYX

Guest oldschooler
Article and Q & A with Marvin White last summer . . .

[quote][size=5][b]Marvin White Is Ready To Hit Something[/b][/size]
[size=3][b]The senior safety looks to end his TCU career on a high note [/b][/size]

[b]Aug. 3, 2006[/b]

The following is an interview from "The Frog Log," a section that is devoted to featuring TCU student-athletes and their lives outside the field. To view future stories, click "The Frog Log" link on the right-hand side of sidebar at GoFrogs.com.

If you are driving around campus today and peer through the TCU football practice field gates, you might see a man running around, all alone. He'll be backpedaling, making sharp cuts and likely talking to himself aloud, reminding himself to make every second, every step count.

Between rests in the 100-degree Texas heat, he'll stop to pick up his cell phone that keeps ringing. On the other end it won't be his buddies asking him to meet up for lunch but rather it's his three-year-old daughter who wants to speak to her daddy. As sweat drips down the face of the man, nothing else in the world matters except hearing about her day. Today it's about cartoons; tomorrow it might be about her day at the park. After he talks to Christina for a while, it's time for daddy to go back to work and off he runs.

The man is TCU senior safety Marvin White and he would like to start the season today, this morning, for the love of all that's decent, right now! But he'll have to wait another week since the reigning Mountain West Conference (MWC) champion TCU Horned Frogs don't begin fall camp until Friday. Until then, White will rest in his bed each night, visualizing that early September day when he will suit up in Purple and White and prepare for the most important season of his football career. There is a lot at stake and he has a lot more to play for than the average student-athlete.

He has a future to prepare for, a family to take care of and group of teammates that want to see him achieve his goals and much more . . .

--------------------------

[b]GoFrogs.com:[/b] So Marvin, what are your thoughts on starting fall camp next week?
[b]MW:[/b] I'm just ready! I'm most excited about just getting out there on the field and seeing what our team can do to prepare for the season. I'm also excited to see what our younger guys can do, specifically our corners.

[b]GoFrogs.com: [/b]What are some of the things you do off the field together that you enjoy?
[b]MW:[/b] The things we do outside of being on the field that I really enjoy is that we go to church together. That binds us together and gives us a lot of chemistry. We also go out to eat together and do group activities. Doing these kinds of things sets the tone for the season because we become each other's families. It's important for the chemistry to be right both on and off the field.

[b]GoFrogs.com:[/b] What are some personal and team goals you have for the upcoming season?
[b]MW:[/b] I want to lead the team in tackles and lead the nation in interceptions. As for team goals, I want to win each game, one at a time and go undefeated in the Mountain West Conference. If these things happen and fall into place, there is always a chance to go to a BCS bowl, which would be a dream come true for my senior season.

[b]GoFrogs.com:[/b] So, tell us what you have been doing during the off-season to improve on your game?
[b]MW:[/b] I have been working on improving my man-skills because my man-skills weren't the best. Coach [Chad] Glasgow has been giving me tips to improve them because once they develop I will be more of a threat. Down the road, if I can improve on those skills, I will be more of a complete player, which in turn would help my NFL draft stock.

[b]GoFrogs.com:[/b] So for those of us that might not know what `man-skills' mean, sum it up for us in a sentence.
[b]MW:[/b] Man skills are how you defend or cover a person one-on-one.

[b]GoFrogs.com:[/b] Outside of football, what did you do over the summer?
[b]MW:[/b] I just hung out with my friends and played video games. I also fished and spent time with girlfriend, Gabrielle. She just moved down here from Louisiana so I've been spending a lot of time with her.

[b]GoFrogs.com:[/b] Speaking of Gabrielle, how important is it for you to have her in Texas?
[b]MW:[/b] It is going to be real important because when things get hard she'll be there to offer advice and encourage me. Since she has already graduated from college she understands the importance of an education.

[b]GoFrogs.com:[/b] Great, so did you go on any vacations over the summer?
[b]MW:[/b] The only vacation I went on was during the Fourth of July weekend. I went home to see my mom and my daughter.

[b]GoFrogs.com:[/b] Tell us about your daughter.
[b]MW:[/b] I would love to! Her name is Christina Alexis Meyers and she is three years old. She is the most precious thing in my life. She is what keeps me going. I know each time I step on the field that I'm competing not only for me, but Christina as well. I want to make a better life for her and that gives me daily motivation. Christina's mom just lost her dad so they are going through a tough time financially and mentally. So, I find peace out here on the football field and that's what makes me want to go harder each day in practice. My little girl is my inspiration and that's where my drive and hunger for the game comes from. I want to provide for my daughter so she can have a better life than I had.

[b]GoFrogs.com:[/b] Has Christina seen you play?
[b]MW:[/b] She knows I'm a football player. She has never seen me play but she has plans to come out this year.

[b]GoFrogs.com:[/b] You mentioned your mom. What kind of role does she play in your athletic career?
[b]MW:[/b] My mom, Terrie Thomas, is my No. 1 fan. In high school I went through some tough times and without her, I truly don't think I'd be here right now. There is nothing like a mom...she just understands me and knows where I come from. Besides my daughter, she is the most important thing in my life. I play for my mom and daughter.

[b]GoFrogs.com:[/b] What are the phone conversations with her like after games?
[b]MW:[/b] My mom talks about the game, how I play, and she points out when I missed tackles and things like that. She knows football.

[b]GoFrogs.com:[/b] Let's go back to football. Tell us what the keys are to beating that Texas heat once camp starts.
[b]MW:[/b] Your body is your investment. You have to know your body and realistically we know that we can't come out here and run hard in 100-degree weather unless we are well conditioned and hydrated. Texas weather is just different; Fluids, lots of rest and just an overall sense of understanding your personal physical limitations are essential.

[b]GoFrogs.com:[/b] You always speak highly of your coaches. Describe Coach Gary Patterson in your own terms.
[b]MW:[/b] Coach Patterson is a great guy. I am so much of a better player because of Gary Patterson. He is real smart and it's obvious that he truly cares about making you the best that you can be. I think the best thing that ever happened to me was playing for Coach Patterson and my position coach, Coach Glasgow. He has done such a good job of making me a better man-player. He invests so much into his players and I think that is why players respect him so much. I give my hat off to them.

I also think it's important that I mention my strength and conditioning coach, Coach Don Sommer. He has been working real hard with me. Since I have arrived at TCU, I have gained 10-15 good, solid pounds. I am so happy Coach Patterson and Coach Glascow recruited me...as cheesy as it sounds, it was truly the best thing to ever happen to me.

[b]GoFrogs.com: [/b]So, for those of us who may not know, what is Coach Patterson like away from the field?
[b]MW:[/b] Off the field, he is a father figure. Coach Patterson is never off-limits...he has an open door policy unlike most head coaches. He will sit down with you and explain how important it is to plan ahead and things like that. He has good advice. He always says "You have to plan ahead if you want to be successful in the world..." and that is something that really sticks with me.

His teammates call him Gator, we call him 'That quick, No. 26..."

--------------------------

GoFrogs.com: Okay, thanks Marvin for providing us a little insight on TCU Football. Before we go, answer the following questions for us and say the first thing that comes to mind:

[b]Celebrity dream date [/b]
Beyonce

[b]Singer or group you like that people may not expect[/b]
Rolling Stones

[b]Favorite pair of shoes [/b]
Jordan's

[b]If your team was on Survivor, who would be the ultimate winner? [/b]
I'd have to say Tommy Blake because he is SURVIVOR-STRONG. He works real hard and knows how to survive in any situation, so I'd pick Tommy.

[b]Best nickname on the team [/b]
Um, I like my nickname. The boys call me Gator because I'm from Louisiana.

[b]First quote that comes to mind [/b]
"If you're weak, you're beat!"

[b]Any tattoos and if so, what's their meaning? [/b]
I have a picture of my mom drawn on my arm that says "Momma's Boy." I want to get another tattoo that says "Never Satisfied" because you can never be satisfied with what you did. No one will ever remember the last thing you did.

[b]Do you cook? What's your favorite thing to make[/b]
No, I don't cook but my favorite meal is Gumbo.

[b]If you had a derby horse, what would its name be? [/b]
Man of Steel

[b]Something you would not do for a million dollars.[/b]
I'm scared of heights so something like skydiving.

[b]Using the initials in your name...give me three adjectives to describe you:[/b]
M - Marvelous
L (Lee) - Loveable
W - Winner[/quote]

[url="http://gofrogs.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/080306aaj.html"]http://gofrogs.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/sp.../080306aaj.html[/url]

Guest Bengals1181

[quote name='The Scales' post='480354' date='Apr 30 2007, 07:42 PM']I dub thee "the Shark"
marvin and company added some fire to the backfield
Hall and White are both Sagitarians...
:ninja:[/quote]

umm he's already called Gator.

Guest oldschooler
An article about "Gator", right before the draft . . .

[quote]Posted on Tue, Apr. 24, 2007
[size=5][b]Frog plans to leap his peers[/b][/size]
By JEFF WILSON
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

[img]http://media.star-telegram.com/smedia/2007/04/24/05/813-107495-83592.embedded.prod_affiliate.58.jpg[/img]
Marvin White projects as a third- or fourth-round pick in the NFL Draft after a productive two seasons playing safety at TCU.

His former TCU teammates called him Gator, a nickname that refers to many aspects of Marvin White.

One is a product of geography. White is a native of Louisiana, where the alligator is the state reptile.

But the moniker also stems from a one-two punch of White's specialties: the way he attacks opponents in the secondary, and a confident mouth that isn't afraid to talk about the big hits he delivers.

That combination is likely to convince a team to call White's name this weekend during the NFL Draft. The team that lands him will have an ambitious rookie in training camp.

"It doesn't matter what round I go," said White, who led the Horned Frogs in tackles last season en route to a spot on the Mountain West Conference's first team.

"I just want to get a shot in the NFL. I'm going to show them who the best safety in the country is."

Scouts like White's toughness and athletic ability. He was disappointed with his 4.54-second time in the 40-yard dash at the NFL Scouting Combine in February, but has since improved it to 4.45.

White (6-foot-1 1/2 , 199 pounds) said scouts have encouraged him to make some technique improvements and also expand his knowledge of defenses. That, though, was one area where he impressed his TCU coaches last season.

Add it up, and White is being projected as a third- or fourth-round pick.

"Marvin White is probably an early day-two guy," said Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN's draft guru. "He's got good size. He's a pretty good athlete who runs pretty well. He had a nice year overall."

White, selected by teammates as the Frogs' defensive MVP last season, has conducted his pre-draft workouts at TCU, alongside former Frogs Jeremy Modkins and Jason Tucker. Those two, both with tastes of life in pro football, have helped prep White for the business aspect of the NFL.

He has already caught on to that. He has had individual workouts with the Baltimore Ravens and Cincinnati Bengals, and face-to-face time with Cowboys personnel past (Jacksonville Jaguars assistant Dave Campo) and current (at the "Dallas" day workout April 13).

"It's been a great experience," said White, who intercepted seven passes in his two seasons in Fort Worth after transferring from Kilgore Junior College.

"It's more of a business than just playing football. They want to know your whole life story. They want to be really detailed. It's a business, and that's the way I have to approach it if I want to stay around long in the NFL."

Business starts to pick up this weekend, and White is eager to get his NFL career started.

"I've done everything I can to the best of my ability, just to show them that I'm a heck of a player," said White, 23. "They like my style of play. I got good feedback from everyone I talked to. But I won't know anything until that day happens and they call my name."

ONLINE: nfl.com

Jeff Wilson, 817-390-7953 jwilson@star-telegram.com[/quote]

Quotes from a couple TCU fans on a TCU forum . . .

[quote]Last year when CRodgers went in the 4th round I thought that was a little high...If the Gator last until the 4th round this year somebody is getting a steal![/quote]

[quote]I agree! He is going to be a "draft gem" for some team![/quote]

Guest oldschooler
Some great video footage/ analysis of all the draft picks (First 5 rounds)

[url="http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/specials/draft/2007/video/"]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/...aft/2007/video/[/url]

Just click which round, then what player you want to watch in the upper left hand corner . . .

Guest Bengals1181

[quote name='oldschooler' post='480376' date='Apr 30 2007, 08:10 PM']Some great video footage/ analysis of all the draft picks (First 5 rounds)
[url="http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/specials/draft/2007/video/"]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/...aft/2007/video/[/url]
Just click which round, then what player you want to watch in the upper left hand corner . . .[/quote]

great find old! :thumbsup:

Guest oldschooler
[quote][size=5][b]Arrest Doesn't Taint Safety From TCU[/b][/size]
May 01, 04:48 AM

By Josh Katzowitz

Another college player drafted by the Bengals. Another player with an arrest record.

But for former Texas Christian safety Marvin White, Cincinnati's fourth-round pick (No. 114 overall) Sunday, his arrest for assault years ago didn't transform him into a player with questionable character issues.

Let White explain it himself.

"My stepdad was using drugs and stuff like that. He tried to come fight my mom," White said. "My mom, being a woman, she couldn't defend herself against a grown man. I had to step in and protect my mom. I got arrested for it, but they threw it out. It wasn't a big deal. I mean, I had to do what I had to do to protect my mom, because that's the only thing I have, and that's why I strive so hard."

Predictably, the Bengals, in the wake of suspensions to Chris Henry and Odell Thurman, brought up the arrest in a predraft interview with White and asked him about the incident. His explanation apparently satisfied his new employers.

"They brought up a lot of stuff like that, because they want to know what type of guy I was and just know they were getting a good guy," White said. "They wanted to really know a lot about it."

But the incident occurred a long time ago when White, whose mother and stepfather are no longer together, was in high school. He's spent the past four years of his life getting himself prepared for the NFL.

And staying away from the police blotter.

After graduating from Port Barre (La.) High School, White played two years at Kilgore (Texas) Junior College and earned All-American honors as a sophomore. He enrolled at TCU, and he was an impact player, making tremendous hits on opposing wide receivers and recording seven interceptions and five pass break-ups in 25 games. He also made 153 -- some bone-jarring -- tackles.

"He's looking to hit people," Bengals defensive backs coach Kevin Coyle said. "He's got a little of that sniper to him."

The Bengals certainly didn't have a problem locating White on game tape. Coach Marvin Lewis, in fact, said White was fun to watch on film.

"He's one of those guys," Lewis said, "where I don't have to ask what number he is."

That is his forte, White said. Hitting people is what he likes to do.

"When I'm on the field, I'm aggressive out there," White said. "I'm going to let it be known that I'm going to hit out there -- that nobody is going to come through my zone, because I'm going to lay you out with a big hit. People are terrified just to come through my zone, because I'm known as a big hitter."

The Bengals recognized that and because defensive coordinator Chuck Bresnahan said the team has to improve its tackling while becoming a more physical defense, he pointed to White as a player who could help immediately.

"We made the comment, 'The guy who had the most explosive hits was Marvin White,'" Coyle said. "He's a very aggressive, hard- nosed, hungry football player. That's the best way to describe him."[/quote]

[url="http://feed.insnews.org/v-cgi/feeds.cgi?feedid=144&story_id=2894270"]http://feed.insnews.org/v-cgi/feeds.cgi?fe...tory_id=2894270[/url]

The more I read and hear about this kid, the more I like him....slowly becoming my favorite pick in the draft...
of course, I will hold all judgement until I see what he can do!
"The Big White Hit"....gotta love it...

I hope he brings some intensity to our defense, the intensity that has been lacking is whats keeping us from
the next level....if you get one with the "kill em" mentality, maybe it will spread to the rest! :headbang:

I've been getting pumped about him since I read the transcript after the pick. His quotes are priceless, and if they hold true, the Bengals got an incredible steal in the 4th round.

What are the chances of seeing some footage of his work this weekend, or do we have to wait until mini-camp?

Guest oldschooler
[quote name='MrOrange1219' post='482243' date='May 3 2007, 07:49 PM']I've been getting pumped about him since I read the transcript after the pick. His quotes are priceless, and if they hold true, the Bengals got an incredible steal in the 4th round.

[b]What are the chances of seeing some footage of his work this weekend, or do we have to wait until mini-camp?[/b][/quote]

If I remember correctly, Hobson posted some video from last year`s Rookie camp . . .

[quote name='DanvilleBengal' post='482748' date='May 4 2007, 06:22 PM']How would Marvin displace Keiwan??? Keiwan is a corner, if I remember correctly.[/quote]
Marvin is the coach, silly.... :ninja:

What I really meant was in potential nickel situations, but perhaps that will go to Hall.
I am in favor of having a HEAVY hitter patrolling the middle on 3rd downs as the nickelback, which doesn't have to be a corner.
At least, that's what I envisioned.
Keiwan sucks....

[quote]Marvin is the coach, silly....

What I really meant was in potential nickel situations, but perhaps that will go to Hall.
I am in favor of having a HEAVY hitter patrolling the middle on 3rd downs as the nickelback, which doesn't have to be a corner.
At least, that's what I envisioned.
Keiwan sucks....[/quote]

I see. We could run more of those heavy nickel packages like last year near the end of the year when you had KK, Madieu and Dexter on the field at the same time, but you can switch it up better now, since White, Madieu and Dexter all have the same abilities, just at different levels.

Archived