HELP with paying for college

So i got accepted to college back in february. It's a state school so its not that exensive, about 13,000 a year including everything, tuition, room and board, meal plan, etc...

I filled out my fafsa a while back and got as much money as I could in federal loans, which isn't much. You can only get a few thousand maximum in federal loans and I got 3500 for the whole year. And a little in scholarship and state aid. I still need about 9000 though.

HUGE PROBLEM, I have no way to get this money. I always assumed I could just get alternative/private loans to cover the rest of the cost. But I can't because you need good credit history to get a private loan. I'm 18 years old. How many 18 year olds have established a fucking credit history? Even if I'd been working the past 2 years I'd still would have had to buy a car on a credit card or something to establish any sort of credit at all. I would guess that most 18 year olds trying to go to college after they graduate high school dont have any credit history. Since I dont, I need a cosigner with good credit history. But my parents dont have good credit so I cant do that either. I would assume I'm not the only 18 year old high school grad with no credit and parents with bad credit. There's gotta be tons of other people with the same situation. So all those people like that just can't go to college?

I was always under the impression that if you wanted to go to college, you could. But that was obviously a bunch of bullshit. Since there's no way to get more loans I'm not going to be able to go to college. I wanted to go so bad, not going wasn't even an option for me. But I guess I'ma have to just work shitty jobs and make shitty money. Even if I did work for the next year or two I still wouldnt be able to go cause I wouldn't have good credit history by then and I'd have to save every penny to be able to pay for college out of pocket at that point.

Pretty fuckin depressed right now.

[quote name='BENGALS666' post='519032' date='Jul 30 2007, 11:15 PM']This guy wants to help you..
[img]http://www.nndb.com/people/422/000031329/lesko.jpg[/img]
[url="http://mlesko.com"]Mathew Lesko - Free Government Money[/url][/quote]

not really in the mood....i mean my life is kinda fucked right now.

sorry to hear that man, but if i were you and after exploring all of my options and still coming up empty i would seriously consider joining the service. theyll pay for your school, give you valuable life lessons and job skills, and there are plenty of jobs available that wont require you be even close to combat.

don't get down on yourself. If you want to go bad enough, it will happen when the time is right.

In the other thread, you mentioned that you got a debit/credit card. Using it as a credit card (and paying it off on time every month) is a good way to build a credit history.

If you have to, work those shitty jobs. Don't let it stop you of your dream of going to college.

Also, push someone rich out of the way of a moving car and ask them for a reward. :ninja:

[quote name='Nati Ice' post='519040' date='Jul 30 2007, 11:26 PM']sorry to hear that man, but if i were you and after exploring all of my options and still coming up empty i would seriously consider joining the service. theyll pay for your school, give you valuable life lessons and job skills, and there are plenty of jobs available that wont require you be even close to combat.[/quote]

that's an option as well if its something you're up for.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='519041' date='Jul 30 2007, 11:28 PM']don't get down on yourself. If you want to go bad enough, it will happen when the time is right.
In the other thread, you mentioned that you got a debit/credit card. Using it as a credit card (and paying it off on time every month) is a good way to build a credit history.
If you have to, work those shitty jobs. Don't let it stop you of your dream of going to college.
Also, push someone rich out of the way of a moving car and ask them for a reward. :ninja:
that's an option as well if its something you're up for.[/quote]

Thanks for the input. I'm not sure what the fuck to do

[quote name='Nati Ice' post='519040' date='Jul 30 2007, 11:26 PM']sorry to hear that man, but if i were you and after exploring all of my options and still coming up empty i would seriously consider joining the service. theyll pay for your school, give you valuable life lessons and job skills, and there are plenty of jobs available that wont require you be even close to combat.[/quote]

Dont you have to go to bootcamp still no matter what you do? And couldnt I be potentially sent to iraq if I enrolled in the army?

I thought about making a similar thread, but I need to get a personal loan for other reasons, and my credit sucks because somebody tried to rob me and broke my jaw with a liquor bottle when I had no medical insurance. Bills out the ass for that shit put me behind.

Do you have anything to use as collateral, like a car in your name, music equipment, etc...? If you do, you can get that stuff appraised and get a secured personal loan. They'll take your shit if you don't pay though. I can't go this route cause I sold all my shit, and my car is still being paid for because of a loan.

[quote name='ColorChanginClique' post='519046' date='Jul 30 2007, 10:35 PM']Dont you have to go to bootcamp still no matter what you do? And couldnt I be potentially sent to iraq if I enrolled in the army?[/quote]

if you sign up for the armed forces, they pretty much own you for that time period. I didn't serve myself though and don't want to give false info out. I know some of the guys on here are veterans, so many put up a thread asking them for specific advice there?

As for your current problem, maybe look into a work study program with the university where you are going. Most of them have programs to help you pay--you might do landscaping or something and have the money go towards the tuition. Also look into a Perkins federal loan, which is directly from the learning institution.

Also see if a close relative would be willing to co-sign for a private loan with you. But use private loans as a last resort.

I know it seems like a lot, but 9K isn't enough to keep you from fulfilling your dreams.

[quote name='ColorChanginClique' post='519037' date='Jul 30 2007, 10:22 PM']not really in the mood....i mean my life is kinda fucked right now.[/quote]

The mood for what? You asked for financial help and that's that dude's gig. He helps you find cleaver ways to get loans, grants and so on...

[quote name='ColorChanginClique' post='519046' date='Jul 30 2007, 11:35 PM']Dont you have to go to bootcamp still no matter what you do? And couldnt I be potentially sent to iraq if I enrolled in the army?[/quote]
yes, or its branches equivalent. basically, if you can deal with inane bullshit and running a few miles a day while being called a faggot you should be fine. not every job deploys, hell you could work some office job in the air force at wright pat if you wanted to be around here. im sure other opportunities exist for wherever you are but since youd possibly have a choice at your first deployment station id try to get something like germany, san diego, japan, hawaii, etc. its not like you have to sign up for an infantry job when there are plenty of jobs that dont deploy (or at least keep you out of harms way when they do) if thats what you desire. i know plenty of people who have done this and while its not always fun every one of them has come back to say that it was a good decision. remember, there are some jobs that are basically a 9-5 with pt tests.

again, just an idea. another idea would be to get a full time job and take classes at a branch campus or community college for a few years and then transferring once you build up the capital and will to take on a degree full time.

the good thing about this country is you have options, the bad thing is that we still havnt made a college education affordable to everyone.

In my day we had these things called jobs. We talked to someone at school about working out a payment plan. Yes, we went to school and worked. Tough, I know, but someone's gotta do it. As you know, a credit history isn't going to grow on a tree. Get a job and go to school.
MULLY

[quote name='Actium' post='519054' date='Jul 30 2007, 11:45 PM']if you sign up for the armed forces, they pretty much own you for that time period. I didn't serve myself though and don't want to give false info out. I know some of the guys on here are veterans, so many put up a thread asking them for specific advice there?

As for your current problem, maybe look into a work study program with the university where you are going. Most of them have programs to help you pay--you might do landscaping or something and have the money go towards the tuition. Also look into a Perkins federal loan, which is directly from the learning institution.

Also see if a close relative would be willing to co-sign for a private loan with you. But use private loans as a last resort.

I know it seems like a lot, but 9K isn't enough to keep you from fulfilling your dreams.[/quote]

Can't get a perkins loan since it's a federal loan which I already filled out my fafsa and got the maximum I could get.

Any my parents aren't paying because........they dont have the money I guess. And they never bothered to save. Yeah........they're pretty great.

[quote name='Fulcher_33' post='519058' date='Jul 30 2007, 11:49 PM']In my day we had these things called jobs. We talked to someone at school about working out a payment plan. Yes, we went to school and worked. Tough, I know, but someone's gotta do it. As you know, a credit history isn't going to grow on a tree. Get a job and go to school.
MULLY[/quote]

Oh, you thought I wasn't going to work when I was in college? I was going to get a job as soon as I got there. But that wouldn't have helped me pay for it since I'm going to need 9000 for the entire year. And my first tuition bill is due August 17. Even if I enrolled in a college payment plan I still wouldn't be able to afford with part time pay. I've had a summer job btw but that isn't anywhere near helping pay the bill.

[quote name='Fulcher_33' post='519058' date='Jul 30 2007, 11:49 PM']In my day we had these things called jobs. We talked to someone at school about working out a payment plan. Yes, we went to school and worked. Tough, I know, but someone's gotta do it. As you know, a credit history isn't going to grow on a tree. Get a job and go to school.
MULLY[/quote]
in your day the minimum wage was not at an all time low while the price of a college education was at an all time high. im not saying its impossible but unless you can get a hook up on a job either youre grades or your work will suffer. just what job do you think a person with no education outside of a high school diploma can get at the age of 18 that will also permit them to go to school full time? the closest realistic option to that would be to get a factory job for about 5 years and wait until you can get them to pay for your degree.

edit: i have never met a current 18 year old undergraduate student capable of paying off all of their tuition, lab fees, and book costs by simply holding down a full time job and having no loans. unless hes got some hookup or a family business he is going to need a loan if he wants to go to school full time this fall, period.

I spent 4 years in the USMC, took as many classes as I could while in there, since they pay for most of it. Mainly knocked out some of the pre-req's, Math classes, English classes, etc. Then afterwards, I used federal grants along with my GI Bill money from serving.

You're in NY? Have you tried the TAPS yet? NY money for college?

[quote name='ColorChanginClique' post='519060' date='Jul 30 2007, 10:53 PM']Can't get a perkins loan since it's a federal loan which I already filled out my fafsa and got the maximum I could get.

Any my parents aren't paying because........they dont have the money I guess. And they never bothered to save. Yeah........they're pretty great.[/quote]

I don't understand about the FAFSA--how could it show you needing to contribute that much?

And your parents need not actually pay--they just might have to serve as guarantors on the loan. It would be in your name, they'd just have to sign it too to allow you to get it.

[quote name='steggyD' post='519067' date='Jul 31 2007, 12:07 AM']I spent 4 years in the USMC, took as many classes as I could while in there, since they pay for most of it. Mainly knocked out some of the pre-req's, Math classes, English classes, etc. Then afterwards, I used federal grants along with my GI Bill money from serving.

You're in NY? Have you tried the TAPS yet? NY money for college?[/quote]

Yeah I got TAP. I got 500 dollars..........

And people in rochester dont have strong accents at all really. People in albany are a different story

The FAFSA figures out an ultimate "what you owe" for college amount. Any monies needed after that would be entirely up to you. However, there are loans that can be taken out after the FAFSA allowed loans.

I was accepted to SVA in NYC, and when I figured out the money needed to attend, after about 5 grand in loans for four years, and all the allowed GI Bill and the federal grants and state money, I still needed about 2 grand a year just to pay for tuition ... :(

[quote name='Actium' post='519075' date='Jul 31 2007, 12:13 AM']I don't understand about the FAFSA--how could it show you needing to contribute that much?

And your parents need not actually pay--they just might have to serve as guarantors on the loan. It would be in your name, they'd just have to sign it too to allow you to get it.[/quote]

Well the FAFSA determined 3500 was all they'd give me for the year. And I can't get a loan with my parents being guarantors or whatever because they have bad credit and my loan application will be denied. I've already applied at places and gotten denied and will continue to since all private loans are based on good credit

[quote name='ColorChanginClique' post='519076' date='Jul 31 2007, 12:15 AM']Yeah I got TAP. I got 500 dollars..........

And people in rochester dont have strong accents at all really. People in albany are a different story[/quote]
Ouch! What you need is to get out of your house and have a couple kids ... :D

Lol, R ahhh chester. C'mon! I do like Dinosaur BBQ though.

[quote name='ColorChanginClique' post='519079' date='Jul 30 2007, 11:17 PM']Well the FAFSA determined 3500 was all they'd give me for the year. And I can't get a loan with my parents being guarantors or whatever because they have bad credit and my loan application will be denied. I've already applied at places and gotten denied and will continue to since all private loans are based on good credit[/quote]

I thought the FAFSA determined total family contribution...?

this may be way off base, but maybe check again and make sure it doesn't say that the total amount you owe is $3500...and not the total amount they'll give you? It never hurts to be certain

also I thought the most you can get for federal stafford loans is $18,500. that's a mix of both subsidized and unsubsidized. that's how it was for grad school anyhow.

Did you get your financial aid package from the college? Maybe talk to them, as they may be able to give more helpful suggestions as they understand the situation better

Archived