Your top 5 favorite guitarists

BENGALS666

I'll throw 4 guys out here
I generally get sick of hearing Clapton, SRV, etc. play 60 year-old blues licks stacked on top of each other. They are good, but boring and formulaic. So, my 5 favorites will be guys that are original. None of this metal shit or technical prowess guitar players who can't keep a beat to save their lives.

1.) Jimi Hendrix-Anyone who doesn't think he is the best of all time is functionally retarded.
2.) Richard Thompson-England's best guitar player. Hard to find videos of him kicking ass on a solo, but I've seen him live and the rumors are all true.
3.) Dickie Betts-Not a popular opinion, but Betts was the best guitar player in the Allman Brothers Band.
4.) Mark Knopfler-Really innovative and interesting stuff.

[quote name='Actium' post='529212' date='Aug 17 2007, 07:53 PM']I'll add a #6 to mine--if Niccolo Paganini could be resurrected and his body reformed, and he had a solid week to learn the electric guitar (whammy bar) and the style of rock.

Here's one of his guitar compositions:

[/quote]
Not my typical style of music, but that wast the most amazing guitar work I have ever seen.

More details, please.

[quote name='WhoDeyUK' post='529241' date='Aug 17 2007, 02:19 PM']Not my typical style of music, but that wast the most amazing guitar work I have ever seen.

More details, please.[/quote]

I don't know who that guitarist is, but Paganini was a 19th century virtuoso who played the violin, guitar, and other string instruments. He was so good that people literally believed he sold his soul to the devil for the ability to perform. There was a movement to deny his a Christian burial. I don't believe it succeeded. Anyway, he's famous for composing things so difficult that only the elite can even begin to think about playing them.

here's his wiki article:

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niccolo_Paganini"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niccolo_Paganini[/url]

It seems that there is a debate on the youtube site as to the identity of the mystery guitarist--the only things established that I can see is that she is from China or something. That narrows it down.

Also after listening to it, the piece sounds like one of his violin pieces arranged for guitar. I think anyway.

[quote name='Actium' post='529212' date='Aug 17 2007, 02:53 PM']I'll add a #6 to mine--if Niccolo Paganini could be resurrected and his body reformed, and he had a solid week to learn the electric guitar (whammy bar) and the style of rock.

[/quote]

It has been a few years, but the kennedy center has free concerts every day but christmas, in their atrium, and I went up there for a music appreation class I had to take and the preformer was one of these guys, like this. Like I said it has been a few years so I dont remember who it was, but it was pretty damn amazing and very east to lose youself in. I have so much more respect musicly for something like this than the standard electric stuff.

[quote name='Actium' post='529212' date='Aug 17 2007, 12:53 PM']I'll add a #6 to mine--if Niccolo Paganini could be resurrected and his body reformed, and he had a solid week to learn the electric guitar (whammy bar) and the style of rock.

[/quote]
This is one of the reasons I liked Yngwie, but he only showed glimpses of his technical ability and mastery of Paganini-inspired stuff in his earliest recordings. Aside from his instrumental recordings, he was mostly flas without substance.
Simply put, while some call it soulless, that is some of the most demanding technical guitar playing there is. If you watch this video, and have ever played a guitar, pay close attention at around 1:10 left in the video...her scale and chording work is flawless and unbelievable.
Thanks Actium. That chick can wail in goddess-like fashion.
If you cannot appreciate that, then you don't appreciate the guitar.
Unreal.

[quote name='Farbeyonddriven' post='529392' date='Aug 17 2007, 07:38 PM']"...1: Kurt Cobain"

you're joking? right? ;)
proficient? yeah, great? not by any means.
-E[/quote]
This reminds me of an interesting point: the quantum shift in hard rock music AWAY from the verse/verse/chorus/verse/chorus/solo/chorus format.
What I liked about the early 1990's was the departure in hard rock from masturbatory solos as par for the course in a sometimes meaningless song, towards a more songwriting-oriented format that often lacked or didn't need a lengthy guitar solo to justify it's existence.
I think that Nirvana, Soundgarden and STP are perfect examples of that shift.
And I like it.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='529358' date='Aug 17 2007, 08:05 PM']This is one of the reasons I liked Yngwie, but he only showed glimpses of his technical ability and mastery of Paganini-inspired stuff in his earliest recordings. Aside from his instrumental recordings, he was mostly flas without substance.
Simply put, while some call it soulless, that is some of the most demanding technical guitar playing there is. If you watch this video, and have ever played a guitar, pay close attention at around 1:10 left in the video...her scale and chording work is flawless and unbelievable.
Thanks Actium. That chick can wail in goddess-like fashion.
If you cannot appreciate that, then you don't appreciate the guitar.
Unreal.[/quote]

Anyone that would call that soulless doesnt know much about music.

[quote name='Farbeyonddriven' post='529419' date='Aug 17 2007, 08:05 PM']Don't get me wrong I love Nirvana, STP, and Soundgarden, but I just don't see Cobain as a great guitar player, rather a great frontman on the otherhand, and I guess his playing fit the style. Now there is a shift bringing solos back and I dig that too.

-E[/quote]
Oh, I agree, Cobain was certainly no technical master, but this hearkens back to our Elimination Game and what really is rock music opinions/defenitions.
I was merely pointing out that the cirulated bands of the hard rock genre certainly changed for the good by focusing more on lyrics that meant something and a power sound (a lot of it processed) rather than folowing the 1980's early 1990's hair band model.
I would argue that it made for some of the most melodic rock music ever recorded, with subject matter that transcended not only normal rock fare, but spoke to several generations at once.
I still like a lot of sheer-guitar oriented music with either none or any sensible lyrics...sometimes I just gotta listen to the guitar....

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='529423' date='Aug 17 2007, 08:11 PM']Anyone that would call that soulless doesnt know much about music.[/quote]
I didn't think it was, but there are plenty of people out there that would call it the technical mastery of scales and nothing more....then again, they are right sometimes when it comes to Paganini's music, which was often written as nothing more than that....technician music. He was Rush before Rush was Rush.

"Oh, I agree, Cobain was certainly no technical master, but this hearkens back to our Elimination Game and what really is rock music opinions/defenitions.
I was merely pointing out that the cirulated bands of the hard rock genre certainly changed for the good by focusing more on lyrics that meant something and a power sound (a lot of it processed) rather than folowing the 1980's early 1990's hair band model.
I would argue that it made for some of the most melodic rock music ever recorded, with subject matter that transcended not only normal rock fare, but spoke to several generations at once.
I still like a lot of sheer-guitar oriented music with either none or any sensible lyrics...sometimes I just gotta listen to the guitar.... "

Agreed 100%

-E

[quote name='Bunghole' post='529426' date='Aug 17 2007, 10:14 PM']I didn't think it was, but there are plenty of people out there that would call it the technical mastery of scales and nothing more....then again, they are right sometimes when it comes to Paganini's music, which was often written as nothing more than that....technician music. He was Rush before Rush was Rush.[/quote]I dont know man, I could feel the soal in it.[quote name='Farbeyonddriven' post='529430' date='Aug 17 2007, 10:21 PM']"Oh, I agree, Cobain was certainly no technical master, but this hearkens back to our Elimination Game and what really is rock music opinions/defenitions.I was merely pointing out that the cirulated bands of the hard rock genre certainly changed for the good by focusing more on lyrics that meant something and a power sound (a lot of it processed) rather than folowing the 1980's early 1990's hair band model.I would argue that it made for some of the most melodic rock music ever recorded, with subject matter that transcended not only normal rock fare, but spoke to several generations at once.I still like a lot of sheer-guitar oriented music with either none or any sensible lyrics...sometimes I just gotta listen to the guitar.... "Agreed 100%-E[/quote]It's the " Reply button now.

[quote name='Farbeyonddriven' post='529430' date='Aug 17 2007, 08:21 PM']"Oh, I agree, Cobain was certainly no technical master, but this hearkens back to our Elimination Game and what really is rock music opinions/defenitions.
I still like a lot of sheer-guitar oriented music with either none or any sensible lyrics...sometimes I just gotta listen to the guitar.... "

Agreed 100%

-E[/quote]
:lol:
Only you will know why you didn't quote...I see the button, and I swear that I'm not crazy....yet

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='529432' date='Aug 17 2007, 08:23 PM']I dont know man, I could feel the[b] soal[/b] in it.It's the " Reply button now.[/quote]
:lol: :lol: :lol: Your spelling
<_< <_< <_< Your response

I was saying that I felt the soul in it too, but there are many Paganini pieces that are pretty technical for the sake of being technical....and there are plenty of people that would view this kind of guitar playing as a technical masterpiece and nothing more. It is both.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='529435' date='Aug 17 2007, 10:27 PM']:lol: :lol: :lol: Your spelling
<_< <_< <_< Your response

I was saying that I felt the soul in it too, but there are many Paganini pieces that are pretty technical for the sake of being technical....and there are plenty of people that would view this kind of guitar playing as a technical masterpiece and nothing more. It is both.[/quote]

<_<

and got yeah

[quote name='Bunghole' post='529426' date='Aug 17 2007, 09:14 PM']I didn't think it was, but there are plenty of people out there that would call it the technical mastery of scales and nothing more....then again, they are right sometimes when it comes to Paganini's music, which was often written as nothing more than that....technician music. [b]He was Rush before Rush was Rush.[/b][/quote]

:lol:

Imagine if he sang too in a falsetto...that would be....awesome!

Archived