Your top 5 favorite guitarists

BENGALS666

[quote name='Bunghole' post='529400' date='Aug 17 2007, 08:48 PM']This reminds me of an interesting point: the quantum shift in hard rock music AWAY from the verse/verse/chorus/verse/chorus/solo/chorus format.
What I liked about the early 1990's was the departure in hard rock from masturbatory solos as par for the course in a sometimes meaningless song, towards a more songwriting-oriented format that often lacked or didn't need a lengthy guitar solo to justify it's existence.
I think that Nirvana, Soundgarden and STP are perfect examples of that shift.
And I like it.[/quote]

Nothing against those bands but none of them did anything that dramatically out of left field. Cobain riffed off of the 70s and 80s Punk that he loved. Soundgarden aped 70's dinosaur guitar Rock (at least in the beginning) and STP was pretty traditional fare all the way around...
Speaking of STP, during thier heyday they brought their personal consensus favorite act on tour with them - a tight little unit called Jawbox, who absolutely did fit the bill that you describe.. If you have the resources to check out their self-titled record (itunes etc.) give it a shot.. Amazing songs with a very unique and up front guitar and songwriting approach.
[img]http://image.listen.com/img/170x170/4/7/1/7/527174_170x170.jpg[/img]

I would even go on to say that Rory Gallagher is a better blues guitar player than Eric Clapton.
He put together some good shows with Jack Bruce, and "Blueprint" is a good attempt at an Irish person trying to sing the black man's music.

[quote name='Homer_Rice' post='530350' date='Aug 19 2007, 11:29 AM']How about 5 very good, but perhaps under-appreciated, guitarists?

Rory Gallagher:
Robin Trower:
Gary Moore:
Mick Taylor:
Joe Walsh:[/quote]

Rory was a total beast on guitar. I loved that Bridge of Sighs record but Trower was such a Hendrix clone at times that it made me just wanna go put on Electric Ladyland.. Mick Taylor [i]made[/i] The Stones during his stretch with the band...
That list should have been rounded with Mick Ronson rather than an American guitarist - [i]esp Joe Walsh...[/i]

[quote name='Homer_Rice' post='530350' date='Aug 19 2007, 12:29 PM']How about 5 very good, but perhaps under-appreciated, guitarists?

Rory Gallagher:

Robin Trower:

Gary Moore:

Mick Taylor:

Joe Walsh:
[/quote]
glad to see someone recognize Garry Moore...

Archived