"TREE HUGGER" manifesto

BlackJesus

22 members have voted

1. 1. Do you consider yourself a "Tree Hugger" ?

• Yes
    • No
    • A "Tree Chopper" maybe

[b][font="Arial Narrow"][size=3][color="#006400"][center][img]http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j318/Tredcrow/BatCountry/tree3.gif[/img]

[i]"If a man walks in the woods for love of them half of each day, he is in danger of being regarded as a loafer. But if he spends his days as a speculator, shearing off those woods and making the earth bald before her time, he is deemed an industrious and enterprising citizen." [/i]

~ Henry David Thoreau

[i]"The trees are God's great alphabet:
With them He writes in shining green
Across the world His thoughts serene."[/i]

~ Leonora Speyer

[i]"I never saw a discontented tree. They grip the ground as though they liked it, and though fast rooted they travel about as far as we do. They go wandering forth in all directions with every wind, going and coming like ourselves, traveling with us around the sun two million miles a day, and through space heaven knows how fast and far!"[/i]

~ John Muir

[i]"Who leaves the pine-tree, leaves his friend,
Unnerves his strength, invites his end."[/i]

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

[i]"God has cared for these trees, saved them from drought, disease, avalanches, and a thousand tempests and floods. But he cannot save them from fools." [/i]

~ John Muir

[i]"I think that I shall never see
A billboard lovely as a tree.
Perhaps, unless the billboards fall,
I'll never see a tree at all."[/i]

~ Ogden Nash, 'Song of the Open Road'

[img]http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j318/Tredcrow/BatCountry/tree2.jpg[/img][img]http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j318/Tredcrow/BatCountry/tree5.jpg[/img]

[i]"Trees are your best antiques." [/i]

~ Alexander Smith

[i]"The hills and groves were God's first temples, and the more they are cut down and hewn into cathedrals and churches, the farther off and dimmer seems the Lord himself." [/i]

~ John Muir

[i]"Except during the nine months before he draws his first breath, no man manages his affairs as well as a tree does."[/i]

~ George Bernard Shaw

[i]"Trees are poems that earth writes upon the sky,
We fell them down and turn them into paper,
That we may record our emptiness."[/i]

~ Kahlil Gibran

[i]"The true meaning of life is to plant trees, under whose shade you do not expect to sit." [/i]

~ Nelson Henderson

[i]"Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees, then names the streets after them." [/i]

~ Bill

[img]http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j318/Tredcrow/BatCountry/tree12.jpg[/img][img]http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j318/Tredcrow/BatCountry/tree8.jpg[/img]

[i]"If I knew I should die tomorrow, I would plant a tree today." [/i]

~ Stephen Girard

[i]"Trees are the earth's endless effort to speak to the listening heaven." [/i]

~ Rabindranath Tagore

[i]"To heal mine aching moods,
Give me God's virgin woods."[/i]

~ Clinton Scollard

[i]"A tree never hits an automobile except in self defense." [/i]

~ American Proverb

[i]"They kill good trees to put out bad newspapers." [/i]

~ James G. Watt

[i]"Plants are the young of the world, vessels of health and vigor; but they grope ever upward towards consciousness; the trees are imperfect men, and seem to bemoan their imprisonment, rooted in the ground." [/i]

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

[i]"Climb a tree - it gets you closer to heaven." [/i]

~ Author Unknown

[i]"We say we love flowers, yet we pluck them. We say we love trees, yet we cut them down. And people still wonder why some are afraid when told they are loved." [/i]

~ Author Unknown

[i]"I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.
A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the earth's sweet flowing breast;
A tree that looks at God all day
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;
A tree that may in Summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;
Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.
Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree."[/i]

~ Joyce Kilmer, 'Trees'

[img]http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j318/Tredcrow/BatCountry/tree1.gif[/img][/center][/color][/size][/font][/b]

If "tree hugger" means you'd rather save trees and green space before allowing money hungry developers mow the land down for personal gain or if it even means that your take envoronmental concerns seriously then I am [b]Certified 100% Tree Hugger. [/b]

[quote name='BENGALS666' post='531840' date='Aug 22 2007, 06:25 PM']If "tree hugger" means you'd rather save trees and green space before allowing money hungry developers mow the land down for personal gain or if it even means that your take envoronmental concerns seriously then I am [b]Certified 100% Tree Hugger. [/b][/quote]

:headbang:

I adore nature and the forests are my favorite scenery. Especially with a creek and little waterfalls. I wouldn't say I'm a tree hugger though as I think expanding civilization is more important. I'm all for preserves though. A city needs plenty of green zones.

[center][img]http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j318/Tredcrow/BatCountry/urban1.jpg[/img]

[color="#2F4F4F"][font="Arial Narrow"][size=3][b][i]" Will urban sprawl spread so far that most people lose all touch with nature ? Will the day come when the only bird a typical American child ever sees is a canary in a pet shop window ? When the only wild animal he knows is a rat - glimpsed on a night drive through some city slum ? When the only tree he touches is the cleverly fabricated plastic evergreen that shades his gifts on Christmas morning ? "[/i]

~ Frank N. Ikard , March 1968[/b][/size][/font][/color]

[img]http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j318/Tredcrow/BatCountry/urban3.jpg[/img][/center]

[quote name='Actium' post='531859' date='Aug 22 2007, 04:16 PM']I wouldn't say I'm a tree hugger though as I think expanding civilization is more important.[/quote]

Expanding civilization? Do you mean urban sprawl?
The only importance associated with that would be [i]stopping it[/i].

[quote name='BENGALS666' post='532050' date='Aug 22 2007, 09:37 PM']Expanding civilization? Do you mean urban sprawl?
The only importance associated with that would be [i]stopping it[/i].[/quote]

so what...leave all existing forests alone? or perhaps have developers who use trees within the context of building communities. Such as The Woodlands, TX.

[quote name='Actium' post='532129' date='Aug 23 2007, 12:07 AM']so what...leave all existing forests alone? or perhaps have developers who use trees within the context of building communities. Such as The Woodlands, TX.[/quote]

Without knowing too much about Woodlands - I'd say yes, if they are making a conscious effort not to land strip before building and leaving a [b]large[/b] percentage of green space.
Don't know how many people here spend time at their local city hall esp. mayor and alderman planning sessions - it's just unbelievable. Local elected officials who are in the development and real estate biz is a bad bad thing for the towns. These guys set up city and county land use plans that benefit nobody but the developers and it's like nobody is paying attention. Meanwhile these towns succumb to urban sprawl as the developer's pockets get deeep. Nowadays even city parks and preserves are getting flipped and turned into developments. 20lb of potatoes in a 5lb sack..
Even city appointed tree commissions are powerless against the developers. Ever wonder why they stopped saving old-growth trees in new neighborhoods being built? It's all because it's more profitable for them to tear everything out and start with stripped land. They plop in their minimum landscape requirements and move on and half the replacement greenery dies because it's not properly cared for. The cities have the power to stop this but since the elected officials are in the game too it's all good for them.
Vote the developers OUT!

[quote name='BENGALS666' post='532891' date='Aug 24 2007, 12:35 PM']Without knowing too much about Woodlands - I'd say yes, if they are making a conscious effort not to land strip before building and leaving a [b]large[/b] percentage of green space.
Don't know how many people here spend time at their local city hall esp. mayor and alderman planning sessions - it's just unbelievable. Local elected officials who are in the development and real estate biz is a bad bad thing for the towns. These guys set up city and county land use plans that benefit nobody but the developers and it's like nobody is paying attention. Meanwhile these towns succumb to urban sprawl as the developer's pockets get deeep. Nowadays even city parks and preserves are getting flipped and turned into developments. 20lb of potatoes in a 5lb sack..
Even city appointed tree commissions are powerless against the developers. Ever wonder why they stopped saving old-growth trees in new neighborhoods being built? It's all because it's more profitable for them to tear everything out and start with stripped land. They plop in their minimum landscape requirements and move on and half the replacement greenery dies because it's not properly cared for. The cities have the power to stop this but since the elected officials are in the game too it's all good for them.
Vote the developers OUT![/quote]

Local politics are just vehicles for local business contracts. It's all a scam.

The Woodlands is very, very nice. Green space everywhere--they still have the minimalls et al, but it's in the middle of a forest. I hope to live there one day. I can't stand open fields with no trees. I do despise those types of developments.

Archived