Cowher Says Cincy and Balt Class of Division

Interesting. Sorta.

[quote]POSTED 11:46 a.m. EDT, September 6, 2007

COWHER THINKS CHINLESS STEELERS WON'T WIN

Former Steelers coach Bill Cowher now gets paid to talk about football for a living, and presumably to do so without spitting all over Boomer Esiason.

Cowher's most recent comments might have caused folks in pissburgh to spit their Iron City beer all over the newspaper on Thursday morning. (At least, you know, the ones who drink Iron City beer on a Thursday morning. The Rolling Rock crowd knows not to waste any of it.)

Ed Bouchette of the pissburgh Post-Gazette writes that Cowher recently declared the Baltimore Ravens and the Cincinnati Bengals to be the top two teams in the AFC North.

"Those two teams, I think they're still the top two," Cowher said on NFL Network. "And still I think pissburgh, they've got a chance with their schedule to get off to a good start, they've got a chance to be a team to be contended with."

Of course, one of the reasons that the Ravens and the Bengals were the top two teams in the division in 2006 is that Cowher failed to keep the team properly focused on the task at hand after finally winning the Super Bowl, possibly because he was too focused on leaving the team. Regardless, Cowher shouldn't act like his old team isn't still one of the elite franchises in the AFC based on the 8-8 record to which he led them a year ago. Many of the guys who helped Cowher win his only Super Bowl were on that team, and are still there now.

Then again, maybe Cowher is implying that 2005 was the aberration, and that it was his efforts as the head coach that carried a band of overachievers to the championship. Maybe Cowher thinks that, without him there to bring them all together, there's no way his old team can compete.[/quote]

I ran across it this morning, but there wasn`t much there to warrant a thread . .

[quote][size=5][b]Steelers Notebook: Ravens, Bengals top division according to Cowher[/b][/size]
Thursday, September 06, 2007
By Ed Bouchette, pissburgh Post-Gazette

Now that he's no longer coach of the Steelers, Bill Cowher apparently feels free to play the what-if game.

He predicts the Steelers will finish third in the AFC North behind Baltimore and Cincinnati.

"Those two teams, I think they're still the top two," Cowher said Tuesday on the NFL Network. "And still I think pissburgh, they've got a chance with their schedule to get off to a good start, they've got a chance to be a team to be contended with."[/quote]

[url="http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07249/815045-66.stm"]http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07249/815045-66.stm[/url]

[quote name='oldschooler' post='541316' date='Sep 6 2007, 02:20 PM']I ran across it this morning, but there wasn`t much there to warrant a thread . .
[url="http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07249/815045-66.stm"]http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07249/815045-66.stm[/url][/quote]

Are you saying this is a worthless thread?

Well, you'd be right. Like most of the ones I start.

:D

Gotta love it when Florio flies his Steeler colors. It's pretty blatant he's personally insulted by Cowhers comments.. He even goes so far as to belittle his accomplishments and tries to make him out to be some sort of hack that was magically lifted to championship heights on the shoulders of Big Ben and the Bus.

So who's worse? The Hack that couldn't get it done, or the people that paid that hack for 15 years.

Get a life Florio.

[quote name='Tigris' post='541353' date='Sep 6 2007, 04:14 PM']i just read somewhere that the steeler's players think cowher will coach cleveland when/if he comes back[/quote]
I heard he's in line for the Big Apple job when Coughlin gets the pink slip...
I also heard he'd never coach Cleveland out of respect for the Rooney family.
who knows.

[quote name='schotzee' post='541360' date='Sep 6 2007, 04:21 PM']Why would he want them to be good now?I would think as a recent ex coach he might want to see them stumble.[/quote]

Rooneys were good to Cowher... why would he want them to stumble?
I think he's anwering the question as honestly as he can ..
Hey whats wrong with picking them thired if thats how you see it?

[quote name='claptonrocks' post='541363' date='Sep 6 2007, 04:24 PM']Rooneys were good to Cowher... why would he want them to stumble?
Hey whats wrong with picking them thired if thats how you see it?[/quote]

I think he is answering it honestly as well,that is why I don't see him saying it as motivation.As far as wanting them to stumble,I just said that because of ego maybe.

[quote][size=5][b]Cowher reiterates he has no plans to coach in NFL anytime soon[/b][/size]
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, September 6, 2007

Bill Cowher reiterated today that he doesn't plan to return to coaching in the NFL anytime soon.
Cowher resigned as coach of the Steelers last January after 15 years at the helm and has taken a job as an analyst for the Sunday pre-game show "The NFL on CBS."

During a conference call with reporters Cowher said he won't consider a return to coaching until at least after his youngest daughter has graduated from high school (she is currently a junior) and that there is a good chance he will never return to the NFL as a head coach.

"The only reason why I've (never) said never is I don't want to become a hypocrite because I can never foretell the future," said Cowher, who led the Steelers to a World Championship and six AFC title games. "But I don't have any plans to coach again."[/quote]

[url="http://pissburghlive.com/x/pissburghtrib/news/rss/s_526077.html"]http://pissburghlive.com/x/pissburghtrib...s/s_526077.html[/url]

[quote name='Lucid' post='541355' date='Sep 6 2007, 04:15 PM']Gotta love it when Florio flies his Steeler colors. It's pretty blatant he's personally insulted by Cowhers comments.. He even goes so far as to belittle his accomplishments and tries to make him out to be some sort of hack that was magically lifted to championship heights on the shoulders of Big Ben and the Bus.

So who's worse? The Hack that couldn't get it done, or the people that paid that hack for 15 years.
Get a life Florio.[/quote]

By no means am I a fan of Florio, but admittedly I like reading his opinion on the legal stuff - he was certainly deadon with the whole Vick saga from the very beginning and ripping ESPN all the way. But anyway, Florio has picked the Bengals to win the division. Both on his website and his weekly visit to 1530 during the Mo and Curly 9 to Noon segment. He was on today and just thinks Palmer is the class of the division and as long he is healthy, the Bengals are the team to beat. Also picked the Bengals over Baltimore this Monday.

[quote name='Phatcat' post='541431' date='Sep 6 2007, 05:54 PM']By no means am I a fan of Florio, but admittedly I like reading his opinion on the legal stuff - he was certainly deadon with the whole Vick saga from the very beginning and ripping ESPN all the way. But anyway, Florio has picked the Bengals to win the division. Both on his website and his weekly visit to 1530 during the Mo and Curly 9 to Noon segment. He was on today and just thinks Palmer is the class of the division and as long he is healthy, the Bengals are the team to beat. Also picked the Bengals over Baltimore this Monday.[/quote]

That's cool and all.. But it;s irrelevant to this particular piece.

BTW. I don't hate him... I do think he is a hack.

[quote name='claptonrocks' post='541363' date='Sep 6 2007, 04:24 PM']Rooneys were good to Cowher... why would he want them to stumble?
Hey whats wrong with picking them thired if thats how you see it?[/quote]

I don't think he holds any allegiance or loyalty to the Rooney family. I believe he feels shafted by them and their failure to give him a decent contract after the SB win. Plug into that equation the fact that Marvin and his coaches got raises before they went to the playoffs that year and it was a volatile atmosphere in Stoolertown his last year. There was certainly an icy chill in the air that summer leading into the season.

Archived