Patriots Cheating?

FloridaBengal

[quote name='bengalrick' post='547472' date='Sep 14 2007, 12:15 PM']when presented with the "the colts win in a classy way" today, jamie's boy randy cross said "don't even go there.. trust me, you don't want to go there. I could mention many names that would surprise you" but said he wasn't going to do that... but the impression i got from him, is tony dungy isn't as clean as people make him out to be...[/quote]
Randy Cross is an asshat... He's worthless as an announcer and he's been out of the league for what 15 years or so but he knows all about what coaches are doing? Dungy's not been a head coach even that long... I'd lay odds he's only repeating / working off of what he's heard others saying.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='547480' date='Sep 14 2007, 12:25 PM']Randy Cross is an asshat... He's worthless as an announcer and he's been out of the league for what 15 years or so but he knows all about what coaches are doing? Dungy's not been a head coach even that long... I'd lay odds he's only repeating / working off of what he's heard others saying.[/quote]

that is your opinion, but considering he is still an announcer and works for nfl radio, i have a feeling he has some "ears" around the league...

Aside from the videotaping and intermiitent failure with opposing teams losing their coach to QB communications while playing the Patsies at home, I still want to hear about what was reported by ESPN:

[quote][i]"The league also was reviewing a possible violation into the number of radio frequencies the Patriots were using during Sunday's game, sources said. The team did not have a satisfactory explanation when asked about possible irregularities in its communication setup during the game. " [/i] [url="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3014677"](ESPN)[/url][/quote]

The rule is that the communications are shut off between coach and the QB at/with 15 seconds remaining on the play clock. I found this tidbit from [url="http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/askthereferee/cs-061212askjerrymarkbreit,1,2292725.story?coll=cs-bears-asktheref-headlines"]ChicagoSports.com [/url] in a Q&A:

[quote][i]Would you please clarify what the rules are regarding the communication between the offensive coordinator and the quarterback by the way of the offensive coordinator's headset and the radio in the quarterback's helmet? If I understand correctly, communication is allowed until 15 seconds remain on the play clock. If this is correct, how is the communication cut off between the two? What is the penalty if it is discovered communication continues between the offensive coordinator and the quarterback go past the 15-second mark on the play clock? --Adam, Cedar Falls, Iowa

[b]At each NFL game there is a game clock operator, a play clock operator, and a coach-to-quarter back operator. The coach-to-quarterback communication is controlled by the coach-to-quarterback operator via a switch. When a play ends, the operator opens the channel by turning the switch, thus allowing the coach to communicate with the quarterback. You are correct that at 15 seconds the switch is turned off and communication between the coach and quarterback is suspended. The teams have no control and mistakes are never made in this area. Good question[/b].[/i][/quote]

Could the violation in the number of radio frequencies being used by the Patriots enabled them to keep communications open between coach and qB open at all times. If the NFL is turning off one frequency but there are mulitple frequencies being used, this goes well beyond the video spying shit. This would be a mucher bigger deal in my opinion.

Actium could be right on this entire coverup theory!

[quote name='Phatcat' post='547504' date='Sep 14 2007, 12:52 PM']Aside from the videotaping and intermiitent failure with opposing teams losing their coach to QB communications while playing the Patsies at home, I still want to hear about what was reported by ESPN:

[i]"The league also was reviewing a possible violation into the number of radio frequencies the Patriots were using during Sunday's game, sources said. The team did not have a satisfactory explanation when asked about possible irregularities in its communication setup during the game. " [/i] [url="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3014677"](ESPN)[/url]

The rule is that the communications are shut off between coach and the QB at/with 15 seconds remaining on the play clock. I found this tidbit from [url="http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/askthereferee/cs-061212askjerrymarkbreit,1,2292725.story?coll=cs-bears-asktheref-headlines"]ChicagoSports.com [/url] in a Q&A:

[i]Would you please clarify what the rules are regarding the communication between the offensive coordinator and the quarterback by the way of the offensive coordinator's headset and the radio in the quarterback's helmet? If I understand correctly, communication is allowed until 15 seconds remain on the play clock. If this is correct, how is the communication cut off between the two? What is the penalty if it is discovered communication continues between the offensive coordinator and the quarterback go past the 15-second mark on the play clock? --Adam, Cedar Falls, Iowa

[b]At each NFL game there is a game clock operator, a play clock operator, and a coach-to-quarter back operator. The coach-to-quarterback communication is controlled by the coach-to-quarterback operator via a switch. When a play ends, the operator opens the channel by turning the switch, thus allowing the coach to communicate with the quarterback. You are correct that at 15 seconds the switch is turned off and communication between the coach and quarterback is suspended. The teams have no control and mistakes are never made in this area. Good question[/b].[/i]
Could the violation in the number of radio frequencies being used by the Patriots enabled them to keep communications open between coach and qB open at all times. If the NFL is turning off one frequency but there are mulitple frequencies being used, this goes well beyond the video spying shit. This would be a mucher bigger deal in my opinion.

Actium could be right on this entire coverup theory![/quote]

If this is true the coach should be banned from the NFL forever. Who says he didn't do this all those games in Foxboro through all of their playoff runs. Atleast Chris Henry and the other players that were suspended did their crimes outside of the NFL. Bill was breaking the rules inside the NFL, which imho is worse than what Henry or Odell ever did.

[quote][/quote]

Excuse me? Before the 'stiff penalties' were handed down? To quote the caveman in the geico commercial; "Uh, what?" The cheater got a slap on the wrist, further demonstrating Goodell's incompetence, inconsistency and outright bullshit attitude that he is 'cleaning up the league and restoring integrity." Goodell lost credibility, respect and his inconsistency is now a matter of public record. He talked the talk but REFUSED to walk the walk.

[quote name='bengalrick' post='547517' date='Sep 14 2007, 01:35 PM']losing a first round pick is a stiff penalty... maybe not stiff enough, but it isn't probation or something that will not directly effect their team...[/quote]

They still have another first round pick anyways.

Slap on the wrist.

[quote name='joshua' post='547519' date='Sep 14 2007, 01:38 PM']They still have another first round pick anyways.

Slap on the wrist.[/quote]

so what? should the pats be forced to back out of the trade that gave them that pick? I don't care what anyone says, losing one of the top 30 players in the draft, [b]reguardless of whether you have another one or not[/b], WILL HURT YOUR TEAM....

the trade that got the additional pick was: [i]The 49ers dealt their 2008 first-round selection to the Patriots, as well as the 110th overall pick in April (John Bowie) for the 28th choice in the 2007 Draft (Joe Staley).[/i]

the patriots traded a first round pick to get the additional first rounder, so its not like they got that pick for nothing... are you saying that if this trade didn't happen in the first place, it would be OK b/c it "hurts the team more"?

[quote name='bengalrick' post='547472' date='Sep 14 2007, 12:15 PM']when presented with the "the colts win in a classy way" today, jamie's boy randy cross said "don't even go there.. trust me, you don't want to go there. I could mention many names that would surprise you" but said he wasn't going to do that... but the impression i got from him, is tony dungy isn't as clean as people make him out to be...[/quote]

i just heard something more about this, and thought i'd add on.. pat kirwin just mentioned something about dungy that made this make more sense... he said that the colts D cordinator has been to the commish office a few times in the past for "dirty tactics"... not sure what exactly that means, but it does make what i posted sound more reasonable...

and kirwin is a better source than cross... for some people :)

[quote name='bengalrick' post='547517' date='Sep 14 2007, 01:35 PM']losing a first round pick is a stiff penalty... maybe not stiff enough, but it isn't probation or something that will not directly effect their team...[/quote]

If everyone harps on the athletes being role models for children, then the coaches are role models for the athletes. This so-called stiff penalty sends a message to the league and the players. It isn't what you know, what you do but who gets screwed!

[quote name='BengalMom' post='547526' date='Sep 14 2007, 01:57 PM']If everyone harps on the athletes being role models for children, then the coaches are role models for the athletes. This so-called stiff penalty sends a message to the league and the players. It isn't what you know, what you do but who gets screwed![/quote]

i've mentioned it a few times on this thread, but not specifically to you, so i'll give my reasoning...

i think that they should have lost more picks than they did, but to me at least, losing a first round pick is much more harmful for the team (long term) than losing the coach a few games... my reasoning is b/c billichek is known as someone that breaks down teams on tape and then puts together a game plan specific for them... even if he is banned from practice, that expertise could still be passed along via phone, "friends" (aka coaches) visting to "check" on him, etc... to me, suspending him is a good penatly, but taking picks from the team will hurt even more...

i hope the point that i think the penatly was too weak has gotten acrossed to everyone, but also that i don't think a small suspension would be a more suitable penalty... take the first and second pick for non playoffs and first, second, and third if they do make the playoffs... that seems more fair to me...

[quote name='bengalrick' post='547528' date='Sep 14 2007, 02:02 PM']i've mentioned it a few times on this thread, but not specifically to you, so i'll give my reasoning...

i think that they should have lost more picks than they did, but to me at least, losing a first round pick is much more harmful for the team (long term) than losing the coach a few games... my reasoning is b/c billichek is known as someone that breaks down teams on tape and then puts together a game plan specific for them... even if he is banned from practice, that expertise could still be passed along via phone, "friends" (aka coaches) visting to "check" on him, etc... to me, suspending him is a good penatly, but taking picks from the team will hurt even more...

i hope the point that i think the penatly was too weak has gotten acrossed to everyone, but also that i don't think a small suspension would be a more suitable penalty... take the first and second pick for non playoffs and first, second, and third if they do make the playoffs... that seems more fair to me...[/quote]

Given the seriousness of the CRIME, using the same logic he used against other players about ethics, integrity, etc., Belicheat should have been suspended for the rest of the season, denying him any communication with the team and further denying the Patriots a playoff berth if they make it that far. You just don't go from being a mediocre coach with a mediocre QB and accomplish the achievements Belicheat has made. There's a stench in the NFL at the moment and it's coming from the office of the Commissioner and permeating everything.

Right now, if I were Odell and Henry, I would play the race card!

[quote name='BengalMom' post='547530' date='Sep 14 2007, 02:13 PM']Given the seriousness of the CRIME, using the same logic he used against other players about ethics, integrity, etc., Belicheat should have been suspended for the rest of the season, denying him any communication with the team and further denying the Patriots a playoff berth if they make it that far. You just don't go from being a mediocre coach with a mediocre QB and accomplish the achievements Belicheat has made. There's a stench in the NFL at the moment and it's coming from the office of the Commissioner and permeating everything.
[b]Right now, if I were Odell and Henry, I would play the race card![/b][/quote]
x2

[quote name='bengalrick' post='547472' date='Sep 14 2007, 11:15 AM']when presented with the "the colts win in a classy way" today, jamie's boy randy cross said "don't even go there.. trust me, you don't want to go there. I could mention many names that would surprise you" but said he wasn't going to do that... but the impression i got from him, is tony dungy isn't as clean as people make him out to be...[/quote]

Maybe when this is all over the media will have to say it is the BENGALS that are the classiest organization in the NFL. Wouldn't that be ashes in their mouth?

:D

[quote name='BengalMom' post='547530' date='Sep 14 2007, 02:13 PM']Given the seriousness of the CRIME, using the same logic he used against other players about ethics, integrity, etc., Belicheat should have been suspended for the rest of the season, denying him any communication with the team and further denying the Patriots a playoff berth if they make it that far. You just don't go from being a mediocre coach with a mediocre QB and accomplish the achievements Belicheat has made. There's a stench in the NFL at the moment and it's coming from the office of the Commissioner and permeating everything.

Right now, if I were Odell and Henry, I would play the race card![/quote]

i think that THIS punishment fit this crime, but i wouldn't be surprised at all if other stuff starts to come out of this... and if that happens, your punishments will be very much likely...

[font="Arial Narrow"][size=3][b]- It is important for the fans of the NFL to keep the heat on Goodell on this one ... once he sees the peasants with torches are still outside the castle walls ... he will be forced to dig deeper most likely

- I think an additional fallout that will come from this is = [u]BELICHEAT WILL NOT BE INDUCTED IN THE HALL OF FAME.[/u] I can see this having a Pete Rose style effect on voters minds ... which at least will be nice to see ... Fucking cheater [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/30.gif[/img]

- I believe that the other 31 teams will continue their own investigations as well ... look for a mountain of evidence to pile up over the next month or so. I think when all is said and done the Patriots will be punished 2 more times ... possibly in a severe manner.

- Belicheats public image is FINISHED ! No organization, or school etc is going to pay this dick muncher to come and speak about the importance of hard work and ethics. He will soon become a pariah ... and it will be deserved.

[/b][/size][/font]

[quote name='bengalrick' post='547545' date='Sep 14 2007, 02:26 PM']like the other 31 teams don't do similar things...[/quote]

[font="Arial Narrow"][size=3][b]Do you have any evidence for this accusation ? Or are you just Ass u me ing ?

I don't think Marvin would ever cheat. [/b][/size][/font]

[center][img]http://media.scout.com/media/image/34/342659.jpg[/img]

[size=3][i]"Alright Tom ... it looks like the defense is going to be blitzing from the right side ... but don't worry they are going to be in a cover 2 ... so just drop it off to the TE in the middle of the field. If something changes ... I'll be sure to tell you on the snap of the ball" [/i][/size][/center]

[quote name='BlackJesus' post='547546' date='Sep 14 2007, 02:28 PM'][font="Arial Narrow"][size=3][b]Do you have any evidence for this accusation ? Or are you just Ass u me ing ?

I don't think Marvin would ever cheat. [/b][/size][/font][/quote]

i think that all teams try to steal signals... most home stadiums don't show replays for the visting team if it might help their head coach throw the red flag... most coaches talk about losing their headset connections at key times in the games...

i don't think it is "cheating" to steal signals in baseball, so i feel dirty saying i do for football...

[quote name='BlackJesus' post='547549' date='Sep 14 2007, 02:32 PM'][center][img]http://media.scout.com/media/image/34/342659.jpg[/img]

[size=3][i]"Alright Tom ... it looks like the defense is going to be blitzing from the right side ... but don't worry they are going to be in a cover 2 ... so just drop it off to the TE in the middle of the field. If something changes ... I'll be sure to tell you on the snap of the ball" [/i][/size][/center][/quote]

qb's don't have access to the headphones in their helmet when the play clock hits 15 seconds... almost no chance that this was helping him during this game... he was probably putting together a data base of signals to go through for their next game..

[quote name='bengalrick' post='547550' date='Sep 14 2007, 01:35 PM']i think that all teams try to steal signals... most home stadiums don't show replays for the visting team if it might help their head coach throw the red flag... most coaches talk about losing their headset connections at key times in the games...

i don't think it is "cheating" to steal signals in baseball, so i feel dirty saying i do for football...[/quote]

It is considered cheating in baseball if you do it with the aid of a camera or technology.

Same in football--if you see it, fine, but if you seek it using technological means, big difference.

Archived