Tank returns to practice....

[quote]TANK RETURNS . . . TO PRACTICE

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that Commissioner Roger Goodell has informed Cowboys defensive tackle Tank Johnson that he can immediately return to practice, but that he will not be permitted to play until November 11.

This means that Johnson's eight-week suspension has not been reduced. However, by allowing him to come back to practice, the NFL is giving Johnson a chance to be ready to play upon the expiration of the ban.

Johnson's eight-game suspension could have been reduced to six games. A subsequent arrest for suspicion of DUI likely blocked his early return to game action.[/quote]

...per PFT

No word on Chris Henry? God I just know it's going to be bad. <_<

I don`t think that necessarily means anything about Henry
not being reinstated when he is supposed to be.

Tank Johnson was waived by the Bears in June.
And wasn`t able to play in preseason or work
out at the team`s facilities and attend meetings
with any team like Henry did and has been able to do.

Still don't think player A, suspended for 8 games, should be able to start practicing after game 6. This allows him to get to game speed again while Player B, suspended for 8 games, but gets to work in the preseason, has to sit for 8 games with no lead time with the team will take at least a couple weeks to get game speed back, etc. and probably isn't a usable player until probably week 10 or 11.

It needs to be an across the board standard - suspended players are allowed to come back, for practice only, 2 weeks (or whatever period of time they decide) prior to their suspension ending. This provision obviously would be based on the premise that the player has met all provisions set out for his return. But, the biggest thing is it needs to be an across the board type of thing.

Since it is an 8 game suspension and we've had our bye week theoretically allowing 2 weeks to practice like the Johnson was means Henry should be cleared for next week. Dallas hasn't had their bye yet so they've played 6, we've only played 5. I guess, though, the flip-side of that is their bye is week 8 which means Tank can't come back until after week 9 so with the way their bye week works he actually gets to practice for 3 weeks...

If Henry isn't cleared to start practice by this time next week, we as Bengal fans, and Henry as the player, better go ahead and pull our pants down and bend over and grab the ankles because we're getting ready to take one in the ass... without any lube or a complimentary reach-around.

[quote][size=5][b]Cowboys' Tank Johnson ready to roll in practice[/b][/size]
[size=3][b]Eight-game suspension isn't reduced, but DT can practice with team[/b][/size]
08:35 PM CDT on Thursday, October 18, 2007
By TODD ARCHER / The Dallas Morning News
tarcher@dallasnews.com

IRVING – Tank Johnson is closer to joining the Cowboys on the field.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell did not reduce Johnson's eight-game suspension for violating the league's personal conduct policy, but he will allow Johnson to practice with the Cowboys starting today.

Johnson, a defensive tackle, will be eligible to play Nov. 11 at the New York Giants.

"Although we were hoping his suspension would be reduced, certainly we feel the commissioner has been fair in allowing him to practice," Johnson's agent, Jerrold Colton, said. "He's appreciative that he will be able to practice before the suspension is up, so when it does run its course, he can immediately contribute."

Johnson has been working out by himself at Valley Ranch for the last three weeks, but the suspension prevented him from being in meetings with teammates and coaches.

The Cowboys will have a roster exemption until Nov. 5, when they will have to release a player to fit Johnson under the 53-man limit.

"It'll be good to get him out on the field and in the meeting rooms, too, so we can meet with him and he can learn the defense and so forth," coach Wade Phillips said.

The Cowboys did not give Johnson a signing bonus when he signed a two-year deal Sept. 18. He will earn $270,000 as part of a pro-rated $510,000 base salary this season and will be paid for the bye week.

In 2008, he is scheduled to earn a $605,000 base salary and can earn $995,000 in incentives and workout bonuses.

In addition to working out at Valley Ranch, Johnson has frequently met with player program director Bryan Wansley and consultants Calvin Hill and Jacqualene Stephens. He officially applied for reinstatement last week and talked with Goodell over the phone.

In the letter denying Johnson's bid to return early, Goodell also expressed hope that this stage of Johnson's career would be more successful than his stint in Chicago, where several brushes with the law led to his suspension.

"He really is enjoying everything about Dallas," Colton said. "He's enjoying living there and getting to know the people he has been around, like Calvin Hill."

The Cowboys' need for Johnson increased when they lost starting nose tackle Jason Ferguson for the year with a torn biceps in the season opener against the New York Giants. Jay Ratliff has started the five games since Ferguson's injury and has 14 tackles, 1 ½ sacks and a fumble recovery. Remi Ayodele, who spent two stints on the practice squad last year, has four tackles as the backup nose guard.

Phillips said he is not sure how much Johnson will be able to play once he is activated, but he expects to use Johnson in a rotation, much the way Greg Ellis worked his way into the lineup after missing the first four games because of his torn Achilles.

Having spent his first three seasons in Chicago, Johnson, 6-3, 300 pounds, is not completely familiar with Phillips' 3-4 scheme, but the techniques used in both defenses are similar.

"Whoop the guy in front of you and go get the ball," Phillips said. "He's played all the techniques. We have to make sure what we want to do with him and what kind of techniques we want to play with him. They'll be different than what Ratliff plays, for sure."

In 46 games with the Bears, Johnson had 63 tackles and nine sacks, but [b]he has not played since Super Bowl XLI and has not been around a team since his release by Chicago.[/b]

"I want to see him out there, see what he does," Phillips said. "It depends on what kind of football shape he is in I guess."[/quote]

[url="http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/cowboys/stories/101907dnspocowboystank.182b92f16.html"]http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw....182b92f16.html[/url]

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='573042' date='Oct 19 2007, 08:35 AM']Still don't think player A, suspended for 8 games, should be able to start practicing after game 6. This allows him to get to game speed again while Player B, suspended for 8 games, but gets to work in the preseason, has to sit for 8 games with no lead time with the team will take at least a couple weeks to get game speed back, etc. and probably isn't a usable player until probably week 10 or 11.

It needs to be an across the board standard - suspended players are allowed to come back, for practice only, 2 weeks (or whatever period of time they decide) prior to their suspension ending. This provision obviously would be based on the premise that the player has met all provisions set out for his return. But, the biggest thing is it needs to be an across the board type of thing.

Since it is an 8 game suspension and we've had our bye week theoretically allowing 2 weeks to practice like the Johnson was means Henry should be cleared for next week. Dallas hasn't had their bye yet so they've played 6, we've only played 5. I guess, though, the flip-side of that is their bye is week 8 which means Tank can't come back until after week 9 so with the way their bye week works he actually gets to practice for 3 weeks...

If Henry isn't cleared to start practice by this time next week, we as Bengal fans, and Henry as the player, better go ahead and pull our pants down and bend over and grab the ankles because we're getting ready to take one in the ass... without any lube or a complimentary reach-around.[/quote]

Completely agree, so what Tank didnt get to play in the preseason and henry did, its a bit unfair when a guy is talking about getting back into game shape by practicing early vs playing so many weeks ago in preseaon.

Im telling you though, no chance henry gets the same treatment. NONE.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='573054' date='Oct 19 2007, 08:07 AM']Completely agree, so what Tank didnt get to play in the preseason and henry did, its a bit unfair when a guy is talking about getting back into game shape by practicing early vs playing so many weeks ago in preseaon.

Im telling you though, no chance henry gets the same treatment. NONE.[/quote]

I don`t really agree. Henry was able to participated in OTA`s,
All of Training Camp, played a ton in Preseason games and
has been allowed to work out at the team`s facilities and
attend meetings. I`d say Henry is in game shape already.
He might be a little rusty as far as not being able to
practice with Carson and company. But I think a week`s
worth of practice should be able to knock of the rust.

[quote name='oldschooler' post='573055' date='Oct 19 2007, 09:12 AM']I don`t really agree. Henry was able to participated in OTA`s,
All of Training Camp, played a ton in Preseason games and
has been allowed to work out at the team`s facilities and
attend meetings. I`d say Henry is in game shape already.
He might be a little rusty as far as not being able to
practice with Carson and company. But I think a week`s
worth of practice should be able to knock of the rust.[/quote]

By game shape, I dont just mean physically, but his timing with Carson, and other mental aspects of the game.

Archived