Bengals Nightmare Draft Scenario

Jason

Well, maybe not nightmare, but...

Right now there are 6 defensive players that would be "worth taking" (based on ranking, not need) at #9. They are Chris Long, Glenn Dorsey, Sedrick Ellis, Vernon Gholston, Mike Jenkins, and Kenny Phillips.

Dorsey and Long are as close to locks to being gone as you can get.

What do we do if Ellis and Gholston are also gone? Mike Jenkins is a great player, but do we spend a third consecutive first round pick on a CB? I doubt it. Kenny Philips is an excellent player, but they like White and Ndukwe a lot, and don't generally draft first round safeties.

So, what do they do? Trade down? And take who?

If we can't trade down, do we reach for a defensive player? Who? Or take Ryan Clady, Malcom Kelley or DeSean Jackson?

trade down and take Chris Ellis. OR trade down and take Fred Davis. I'm not necessarily in favor of taking a TE in the 1st, but I'd feel better about it if we're also picking up 2 extra picks (a 2nd and a 3rd likely) in the process. That, and Davis is going to be a stud TE. He'd really open up our offense.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='622503' date='Jan 14 2008, 02:43 PM']trade down and take Chris Ellis. OR trade down and take Fred Davis. I'm not necessarily in favor of taking a TE in the 1st, but I'd feel better about it if we're also picking up 2 extra picks (a 2nd and a 3rd likely) in the process. That, and Davis is going to be a stud TE. He'd really open up our offense.[/quote]

Chris Ellis and Fred Davis are both late 1 to 2. I think we could trade down and still get better players than these guys. Although I would take either in 2 in a heartbeat.

[quote name='Jason' post='622509' date='Jan 14 2008, 02:53 PM']Chris Ellis and Fred Davis are both late 1 to 2. I think we could trade down and still get better players than these guys. Although I would take either in 2 in a heartbeat.[/quote]

Davis, yes. I think Ellis will go in the late teens, early 20's though.

[quote name='Jason' post='622478' date='Jan 14 2008, 01:57 PM']Well, maybe not nightmare, but...

Right now there are 6 defensive players that would be "worth taking" (based on ranking, not need) at #9. They are Chris Long, Glenn Dorsey, Sedrick Ellis, Vernon Gholston, Mike Jenkins, and Kenny Phillips.

Dorsey and Long are as close to locks to being gone as you can get.

What do we do if Ellis and Gholston are also gone? Mike Jenkins is a great player, but do we spend a third consecutive first round pick on a CB? I doubt it. Kenny Philips is an excellent player, but they like White and Ndukwe a lot, and don't generally draft first round safeties.

So, what do they do? Trade down? And take who?

If we can't trade down, do we reach for a defensive player? Who? Or take Ryan Clady, Malcom Kelley or DeSean Jackson?[/quote]

Add two more to that list [b]Darren McFadden [/b] and [b]Jake Long [/b].

If Gholston and Ellis are both gone, trade down. Those are the only 2 players that have the chance of being there when we draft that I would feel comfortable drafting. Of course this is just my opinion, the Bengals have the final decision, and I've been pretty happy with the past 5 years worth of first round picks, with the only exception being Perry and his grocery list of injuries.

By the way, anybody know that the draft format changed this year? A day one pick is now only rounds 1 and 2. The third through seventh round are all second day. Also the time given changed, first round choices are now 10 minutes (instead of 15), and the second round are only 7 minutes (as opposed to 10 in previous years). I might not get bored watching this year!!

[quote name='fredtoast' post='622841' date='Jan 15 2008, 11:01 AM']Remember that it takes two teams to trade down. So that is not an automatic option. There may not be another team interested in the players available at #9.[/quote]

Actually, I think there will be, but I get what you are saying. If a bunch of defensive players go ahead of us there will be teams salivating over the offensive players left at #9.

[quote name='Jason' post='622709' date='Jan 14 2008, 10:38 PM']They won't be there at 9. Both will be gone in the Top 5.[/quote]

This is why i think [b]Darren McFadden [/b] will fall.
[quote][b]Will Bill Parcells Consider Darren McFadden a 'Thug' or 'Hoodlum' After Latest Incident?[/b]
Posted Jan 10th 2008 12:11PM by Michael David Smith
Filed under: Dolphins, NFL Draft, Miami

New Dolphins boss Bill Parcells made clear when he took over the team that he would not be using the No. 1 overall draft pick on a troublemaker.

"I don't want thugs and hoodlums on the team," Parcells said of the types of players he'll try to acquire. "I really don't. I don't want bad-character guys. I don't want problem children."

As The Big Lead notes, that's a pretty good sign that the Dolphins will not be using the first pick in the 2008 NFL draft on the guy most people consider the top prospect, Arkansas running back Darren McFadden. Although he was not arrested, police handcuffed McFadden early this morning after a fight in an Arkansas bar. McFadden explains his side of it:

"They're talking about I struck a bouncer. I know that's wrong because I didn't strike anyone. I was trying to get out of the place when I saw everyone tussling and things," McFadden says.

Even if McFadden did nothing wrong, Parcells is one of an increasing number of NFL executives who not only won't tolerate players who get in bar fights, they don't even want players near bar fights. And McFadden's history -- in the summer of 2006 in a fight outside a Little Rock club, McFadden severely injured his toe -- means he's probably not a good fit for Parcells.

None of this makes McFadden a "thug" or a "hoodlum" -- he may be a fine young man who just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time on a couple of occasions. But increasingly, NFL teams aren't willing to give players the benefit of the doubt.[/quote]

[b]Jake Long[/b] is loosing ground quickly to Ryan Clady. I think Clady is a perfect LT and Long is more of a RT(Long play both LT and RT). LT are more valued then RT and I thank Clady will be the first O-lineman taken in the draft.

[quote]There's no fucking way we would take Jake Long anyways.[/quote]
Why not! Willie is getting old and Stacy is a free agent.

[quote name='CrazyIrishman5' post='622929' date='Jan 15 2008, 02:22 PM']Willie was taken 10th in 1996 as a [b]Right Tackle![/b][/quote]
That team was god awful, and needed help anywhere on the line. Anderson could have played left or right tackle, he just ended up as a right.

There's absolutely no way in hell we take a right tackle with a top 10 pick. Maybe as a late late round pick for depth, but with Anderson still taking up billions in cap space, no way. Also, I think resigning Andrews is top priority for the team this offseason.

[quote name='CrazyIrishman5' post='622886' date='Jan 15 2008, 12:21 PM']This is why i think [b]Darren McFadden [/b] will fall.

[b]Jake Long[/b] is loosing grown quickly to Ryan Clady. I think Clady is a perfect LT and Long is more of a RT(Long play both LT and RT). LT are more valued then RT and I thank Clady will be the first O-lineman taken in the draft.

Why not! Willie is getting old and Stacy is a free agent.[/quote]

It would take a felony to drop McFadden out of the Top 5.

Archived