Starship Troopers

CincyInDC

I've been playing Starcraft lately, which to a certain extent is a ripoff of Starship Troopers, so I thought I'd query the board. Who's seen it? Beyond its nice eye candy (Denise Richards, and oh yeah, special effects) the story is actually pretty compelling if you know what it's actually about.

[quote name='Montana Bengal' post='641167' date='Mar 6 2008, 10:32 PM']I wouldn't say great flick, but it wasn't bad. I've heard the book is better.

The biggest issue I had with it was the acting; I'm not a Casper Van Dien, Neil Patrick Harris, or Jake Busey fan.

I do dig on Dina Meyer....which I've gotten shit for on this board.[/quote]

don't sweat it...she's plenty do-able [i]and[/i] she gets naked in this flick. She's not centerfold material but her down-to-earthness is mighty fine. Denise Richards is wayyy hotter, though.

Of course the book is probably better, but who reads anymore?

:ninja:

oh, and Starcraft II is in development, which is why I'm playing Starcraft again (for the umpteenth time).
[url="http://www.starcraft2.com/"]http://www.starcraft2.com/[/url]

The book is very good and the movie not so much. In the movie the infantry charges and has no mechanized vechiles, however in the book they have powered battle suits that an soldier uses and controls. If I remember correctly it is an required book to read in the military acadimes, and an very good military science fiction book. The technology and tactics detailed in the book supposedley led to the land warrior project, and pushed forward research into nightvision googles, infra googles, and introduced the concept of spaceborn assualts. It is has influemced alot of movies and RTS computer games, the most famous being Aliens, Command and Conquer, Star Craft just to name a few.

[quote name='Paul' post='641196' date='Mar 6 2008, 11:14 PM']The book is very good and the movie not so much. In the movie the infantry charges and has no mechanized vechiles, however in the book they have powered battle suits that an soldier uses and controls. If I remember correctly it is an required book to read in the military acadimes, and an very good military science fiction book. The technology and tactics detailed in the book supposedley led to the land warrior project, and pushed forward research into nightvision googles, infra googles, and introduced the concept of spaceborn assualts. It is has influemced alot of movies and RTS computer games, the most famous being Aliens, Command and Conquer, Star Craft just to name a few.[/quote]its required reading for all of the service academies and is on the army chief of staffs reading list

like its been pointed out before, the book and the movie are nowhere near the same story and from what ive heard starship troopers 3 will be almost identical to the book, which should be interesting...

the book is well worth the read and if thats not your bag you can do what i did and pick up the audio book off of the pirate bay for free and listen to it on long drives. its long but its worth it

anyways, im just disappointed the major theatrical release was so perverted it barely resembled the influential book, but thats all sour grapes now, i suppose.

Archived