Windows Vista load slowly for everyone?

Ok, got the new PC together. Core 2 Duo 3 ghz cpu, 4 gigs of ram on a Vista 64 system. Why is my boot up time so damn long? Other than that, everything seems to be fine. Games maxed out look beautiful, run with no lag. Programs install damn near instantaneously. I can alt tab between programs with no pause. But the boot up time seems long. Anyone else experience this? Is it a Vista thing? Am I missing a setting perhaps?

[quote name='steggyD' post='644811' date='Mar 20 2008, 03:02 AM']Ok, got the new PC together. Core 2 Duo 3 ghz cpu, 4 gigs of ram on a Vista 64 system. Why is my boot up time so damn long? Other than that, everything seems to be fine. Games maxed out look beautiful, run with no lag. Programs install damn near instantaneously. I can alt tab between programs with no pause. But the boot up time seems long. Anyone else experience this? Is it a Vista thing? Am I missing a setting perhaps?[/quote]
mine halts at the hard drives, as i have 3 so it pauses there for 10-15 seconds.. aside from that its pretty darn quick...

what kind of boot time are we talking?

PS: if i remember correctly there was a gang of start up programs i didnt care for or need that i took off the boot/startup menu... perhaps check there.

but mine boots much faster than xp ever did...

• 2 weeks later...
Ok, back to my problem. I've been googling and shit and have found no solution. I've seen others with the same issue but no one has cured their ills.

There's the little green bar that runs across the bottom and then the black screen then the cool logo that pops up with the sound. That black screen takes forever. Everything else runs fine once inside Windows, but that pause is killing me.

I've run a bootlog and all drivers load fine but two ...

Did not load driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\kbdhid.sys

Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\srv.sys

I understand the kbdhid.sys has to do with the keyboard. I'm using a Saitek Eclipse USB keyboard. Came with no software, just a plug and play. It works in BIOS though. So I'm not sure why it's not loading this driver. The other one, I don't know.

Anyone have a direction to point me in?

[quote name='steggyD' post='644811' date='Mar 20 2008, 12:02 AM']Ok, got the new PC together. Core 2 Duo 3 ghz cpu, 4 gigs of ram on a Vista 64 system. Why is my boot up time so damn long? Other than that, everything seems to be fine. Games maxed out look beautiful, run with no lag. Programs install damn near instantaneously. I can alt tab between programs with no pause. But the boot up time seems long. Anyone else experience this? Is it a Vista thing? Am I missing a setting perhaps?[/quote]

I don't have any solutions, but there are some other specifics that might help others trouble shoot your issue. Did you do the install or did it come pre-loaded? Since you haven't had it that long you might be able to do a clean install and see if that helps. When you say others have had this problem, is it with that specific machine or with Vista in general? How many drives do you have? What do you have externally hooked to it? Are the drivers for things that you've added been MS certified or whatever (are they current?)

I know that Go asked how long of lag time, "forever" is a long time, but may not be the 10-15 seconds that Go is referring to.

[quote name='steggyD' post='647162' date='Mar 30 2008, 11:18 AM']Ok, back to my problem. I've been googling and shit and have found no solution. I've seen others with the same issue but no one has cured their ills.

There's the little green bar that runs across the bottom and then the black screen then the cool logo that pops up with the sound. That black screen takes forever. Everything else runs fine once inside Windows, but that pause is killing me.

I've run a bootlog and all drivers load fine but two ...

Did not load driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\kbdhid.sys

Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\srv.sys

I understand the kbdhid.sys has to do with the keyboard. I'm using a Saitek Eclipse USB keyboard. Came with no software, just a plug and play. It works in BIOS though. So I'm not sure why it's not loading this driver. The other one, I don't know.

Anyone have a direction to point me in?[/quote]

a few sources refer to an OS install issue maybe reinstall vista?

[url="http://www.vistax64.com/vista-installation-setup/1688-boot-hang-problem.html"]http://www.vistax64.com/vista-installation...ng-problem.html[/url]

[url="http://forums.cnet.com/5208-12546_102-0.html?forumID=133&threadID=272605&messageID=2634050"]http://forums.cnet.com/5208-12546_102-0.ht...ssageID=2634050[/url]

I did the install. My build, my install. Long time, no not any 10 second pauses. A wait as in I can go to the bathroom, run downstairs, grab a bottle of water, sit down and still wait for the password screen. It's not quite the 15 minutes one of Go's links mention, but it is a few minutes. Much longer than my XP build was, and that was a slower machine.

I wish there were an easier fix than a reformat. I just finished loading almost everything. Grrrr!!!

[quote name='steggyD' post='647226' date='Mar 30 2008, 06:25 PM']I did the install. My build, my install. Long time, no not any 10 second pauses. A wait as in I can go to the bathroom, run downstairs, grab a bottle of water, sit down and still wait for the password screen. It's not quite the 15 minutes one of Go's links mention, but it is a few minutes. Much longer than my XP build was, and that was a slower machine.

I wish there were an easier fix than a reformat. I just finished loading almost everything. Grrrr!!![/quote]

Was this a fresh install or upgrade?

Did you do a full (slow) format of the HDD prior to installation?

Have you run diskcheck and defrag to see if anything is amiss?

Brand new PC. I'm not sure about the format. Whenever I've installed XP, it gave me all those options but Vista, my first time installing it, it just took over and did its own thing. I may take the time tomorrow to reformat. I have done defrags but no disckchecks yet. I'll try one of those. But if nothing, I'm going to reformat.

[quote name='steggyD' post='647231' date='Mar 30 2008, 07:21 PM']Brand new PC. I'm not sure about the format. Whenever I've installed XP, it gave me all those options but Vista, my first time installing it, it just took over and did its own thing. I may take the time tomorrow to reformat. I have done defrags but no disckchecks yet. I'll try one of those. But if nothing, I'm going to reformat.[/quote]

let us know... seems like a strange problem to have...

certainly the first i have heard of it (tho clearly others have seen it as well).

[quote name='GoBengals' post='647254' date='Mar 30 2008, 11:19 PM']let us know... seems like a strange problem to have...

certainly the first i have heard of it (tho clearly others have seen it as well).[/quote]

I'm thinking it was a bad install, bad HDD, or he has "some" service that keeps getting hung on boot.

Interested in knowing what works, though...

My old emachines with XP used to take forever to load up.
The power supply eventually went out and I ended up smashing the tower and buying a new one.

My new computer has Vista and loads up pretty quick.

Well, reluctance kept me from reformatting. Oh, how I hate the time involved in reloading all my software.

So I did some troubleshooting. I tried switching out all my plug in devices in ways to see if anything improved my boot-up time, such as keyboards, mice, etc. And I found the culprit ... my external hard drive. When I have that boy unplugged, my machine boots up very, very quickly. Is there a way around this without having to unplug my external hd? Or should I just plug it in when I need it? I'm used to having it there plugged in all the time. It's a WD 250 gig ext hd.

[quote name='steggyD' post='647346' date='Mar 31 2008, 12:59 PM']Well, reluctance kept me from reformatting. Oh, how I hate the time involved in reloading all my software.

So I did some troubleshooting. I tried switching out all my plug in devices in ways to see if anything improved my boot-up time, such as keyboards, mice, etc. And I found the culprit ... my external hard drive. When I have that boy unplugged, my machine boots up very, very quickly. Is there a way around this without having to unplug my external hd? Or should I just plug it in when I need it? I'm used to having it there plugged in all the time. It's a WD 250 gig ext hd.[/quote]

Is booting from USB enabled in your BIOS? If so, turn that off and see if it still takes so long to boot.

It *sounds* like Vista is either indexing the drive contents on boot or attempting to boot off that drive.

Well, thanks for hearing me out as I locate the issue. I'm going to post on the abit forums and see if I can find som help there. Seems the particular mobo I'm using has not been friendly with all external hd's. Great !!!

Here's my setup:
abit IP35 pro
xeon 3110 3.0ghz cpu (wolfdale chip !)
4 gigs of corsair RAM
seagate 250 gig sata 3 drive
evga 8800gts 512 vid card
win vista 64
and my adversary ... a couple year old external hard drive, western digital my books 250 gig or some crap like that. I use it for backing up files, music, movies, etc. It is non-essential to the running of my PC.

Vista automatically tries to index all connected Hard Drives on initial boot-up. This is so files and directory structures can be retrieved easily and very quickly. I had the same problem when I connected my external HDD. This is a slow process, especially if your external HDD is not USB 2.0 capable or has older firmware. You need to get updated drivers and firmware for your drive, or bite the bullet and buy a new external drive and transfer the data.

Yeah, I found a site where many people were mulling it over and came to no acceptable conclusion. For now, I'm just going to turn it on when I need it and invest in a second internal hard drive for this pc. The external hard drive will then be handed down to the rest of the family. ;)

[quote name='steggyD' post='647853' date='Apr 1 2008, 09:56 PM']Yeah, I found a site where many people were mulling it over and came to no acceptable conclusion. For now, I'm just going to turn it on when I need it and invest in a second internal hard drive for this pc. The external hard drive will then be handed down to the rest of the family. ;)[/quote]

Glad you got things sorted out... :thumbsup:

Archived