Bengals Draft Board

I enjoy looking at mock drafts but they are a little less interesting this year as far as the first round because I think 99% of Bengals fans agree that if Ellis is there, the Bengals should take him. The more interesting conversation may be a ranking of the players since we don't know who will be there. If I was Mike Brown, here is how my draft board would read:

[b]1. Glenn Dorsey[/b]- My top guy in the draft and our biggest position of need. Not too worried about the injuries. Easy choice.
[b]2. Sedrick Ellis[/b]- A top talent at a huge position of need. Very hard to get DTs who are so well rounded and have so few questions.
[b]3. Chris Long[/b]- Great athlete with a lot of versatility who would be a good leader on D as well. Unlike Justin Smith, he has a lot of different pass rush moves and I think would be a more consistent pass rusher.
[b]4. Darren McFadden-[/b] I'm sure I have him higher than most but I think he is the only offensive player in this draft who would transform our offense. Tougher than he gets credit for.
[b]5. Vernon Gholston-[/b] Need to improve on the 22 sacks.
[b]6. Derrick Harvey[/b]- Again, can never have too many pass rushers. I'm a bit higher on him than other people may be.
[b]7. Jake Long-[/b] OL isn't a huge need but I think Long has more value than the next 2 guys on my list.
[b]8. Keith Rivers[/b]- Value is about right and LB is definitely a need. He had 0 sacks last year though and isn't as valuable as the pass rushers.
[b]9. Philip Merling-[/b] Perhaps a bit of a reach but I'd prefer to take a lower rated D lineman than any of the OT, RB or WR still on the board.

[quote name='happyrid' post='649275' date='Apr 4 2008, 11:31 PM']I enjoy looking at mock drafts but they are a little less interesting this year as far as the first round because I think 99% of Bengals fans agree that if Ellis is there, the Bengals should take him. The more interesting conversation may be a ranking of the players since we don't know who will be there. If I was Mike Brown, here is how my draft board would read:

[b]1. Glenn Dorsey[/b]- My top guy in the draft and our biggest position of need. Not too worried about the injuries. Easy choice.
[b]2. Sedrick Ellis[/b]- A top talent at a huge position of need. Very hard to get DTs who are so well rounded and have so few questions.
[b]3. Chris Long[/b]- Great athlete with a lot of versatility who would be a good leader on D as well. Unlike Justin Smith, he has a lot of different pass rush moves and I think would be a more consistent pass rusher.
[b]4. Darren McFadden-[/b] I'm sure I have him higher than most but I think he is the only offensive player in this draft who would transform our offense. Tougher than he gets credit for.
[b]6. Derrick Harvey[/b]- Again, can never have too many pass rushers. I'm a bit higher on him than other people may be.
[b]7. Jake Long-[/b] OL isn't a huge need but I think Long has more value than the next 2 guys on my list.
[b]8. Keith Rivers[/b]- Value is about right and LB is definitely a need. He had 0 sacks last year though and isn't as valuable as the pass rushers.
[b]9. Philip Merling-[/b] Perhaps a bit of a reach but I'd prefer to take a lower rated D lineman than any of the OT, RB or WR still on the board.[/quote]

I agree with your top picks but would add Mendenhall in there and maybe even a CB. I wouldn't have Harvey, Jake Long, Rivers, or Merling in my top 9.

[quote name='sparky151' post='649287' date='Apr 5 2008, 03:01 AM']I agree with your top picks but would add Mendenhall in there and maybe even a CB. I wouldn't have Harvey, Jake Long, Rivers, or Merling in my top 9.[/quote]
I agree with you on Mendenhall, especially if we're talking about BPA. I disagree on not having Rivers there but understand that he's borderline, but what's your reasoning on Jake Long? Just curious.

[quote name='sparky151' post='649287' date='Apr 5 2008, 03:01 AM']I agree with your top picks but would add Mendenhall in there and maybe even a CB. I wouldn't have Harvey, Jake Long, Rivers, or Merling in my top 9.[/quote]

I'm actually not quite as high on Rivers as most people are but there is no way I would take a CB over him. That just doesn't make much sense when looking at the strengths and weaknesses of our roster. Just out of curiousity, if you got rid of 4 guys off that list, which 4 guys would you replace them with (obviously Mendenhall would be one of your 4)?

Also, I just threw this list out there to generate some discussion. I'd be curious to see some other people's lists.

[quote name='ChicagoBengal' post='649357' date='Apr 5 2008, 11:56 AM']I agree with you on Mendenhall, especially if we're talking about BPA. I disagree on not having Rivers there but understand that he's borderline, but what's your reasoning on Jake Long? Just curious.[/quote]

I think Jake Long is a fine player and will certainly be drafted before pick 9. I wouldn't have him on the Bengals draft board for their first pick because we're already deep at OT. We've got a solid left tackle, a formerly solid right tackle near the end of his career, and two other good tackles, one franchised to find spots for. If Willie retires after this season and they don't get a long term deal done with Andrews, we still have Whitworth to start at right tackle. Hell Kooistra is adequate for a few plays at a time.

Harvey and Rivers aren't among the 9 best players so they have no business being drafted that high.
Rivers is a classic complementary player. Ellis and Maualuga are the difference makers on the USC defense while Jackson and Rivers are decent players whose game won't translate as well to the NFL.

Harvey dominated Boone in the title game two years ago but hasn't done a whole lot since. IMO he underachieved this past season.

[quote name='sparky151' post='649499' date='Apr 5 2008, 11:18 PM']I think Jake Long is a fine player and will certainly be drafted before pick 9. I wouldn't have him on the Bengals draft board for their first pick because we're already deep at OT. We've got a solid left tackle, a formerly solid right tackle near the end of his career, and two other good tackles, one franchised to find spots for. If Willie retires after this season and they don't get a long term deal done with Andrews, we still have Whitworth to start at right tackle. Hell Kooistra is adequate for a few plays at a time.

Harvey and Rivers aren't among the 9 best players so they have no business being drafted that high.
Rivers is a classic complementary player. Ellis and Maualuga are the difference makers on the USC defense while Jackson and Rivers are decent players whose game won't translate as well to the NFL.

Harvey dominated Boone in the title game two years ago but hasn't done a whole lot since. IMO he underachieved this past season.[/quote]

Who would you have up there instead though? I kind of agree that Harvey and Rivers aren't top 9 caliber in most years, but with this year's group, I'm not so sure. Who would you have higher if you were the Bengals?

[quote name='akiliMVP' post='649435' date='Apr 5 2008, 04:31 PM']My best guess:
1. Chris Long
2. Darren McFadden
3. Vernon Gholston
4. Jake Long
5. Glenn Dorsey
6. Sedrick Ellis
7. Rashard Mendenhall
8. Derrick Harvey
9. Keith Rivers[/quote]

You think the Bengals would/should take J. Long and Gholston ahead of both of the D tackles? I don't see that. Also is this your list or your best guess as to what the Bengals' actual board looks like?

[quote name='happyrid' post='649275' date='Apr 5 2008, 12:31 AM']I enjoy looking at mock drafts but they are a little less interesting this year as far as the first round because I think 99% of Bengals fans agree that if Ellis is there, the Bengals should take him. The more interesting conversation may be a ranking of the players since we don't know who will be there. If I was Mike Brown, here is how my draft board would read:

[b]9. Philip Merling-[/b] Perhaps a bit of a reach but I'd prefer to take a lower rated D lineman than any of the OT, RB or WR still on the board.[/quote]

This is a pretty good list. I wouldn't change the Top 5 at all. I would move Harvey down to 8, and everyone else up one notch. And I think I would switch Mendenhall for Merling.

Archived