360 keeps freezing on me!!

[quote]Epic president Mike Capps guesses the next console generation will begin anywhere between 2012 and 2018 — and when it does, Unreal Engine 4 will be already waiting for it. At least, that's what Capps told an audience Microsoft's Gamefest 2008 in Seattle this week, according to a Gamasutra report.

Said Capps:

"We've got Unreal [Engine] 4 in production right now... it's going to be in the next console generation - our rough guess is 2012 [to] 2018."

Tim Sweeney also has a guess about what the platforms will be at that time, and in what order Epic will address them:[/quote]

[quote name='whodey319' post='681109' date='Jul 24 2008, 07:30 AM']2010 is to early. I would guess 2012 is when to look for[/quote]

hmm, i swear i read something about how Microsoft was hoping to throw the new system out in november 2010 just in time for xmas cuz i was pissed that it was going to come out so quickly.

ok i found a similar article. stating that time in 2010 as the earliest at best. most likely looking at 2011.

[quote]3rd Generation Xbox Specs for 2011
Published: November 9, 2007, 5:54 PM CST
By chairmansteve

It's early enough to start speculating on the next Xbox (Xbox 3, Xbox 720). [b]We'll need a timeframe for the launch before estimating specs. Q4 2010 would be the earliest, while Q4 2011 I think is the most likely. So let's say Q4 2010 to Q4 2012.[/b] Anything in that range would have similar specs.

The goals should be (1) low-cost reliable hardware with enough performance and (2) great tools for game developers. In other words, don't put a furnace in the box, don't stuff it with costly unnecessary features, and don't expect developers to fumble with a million threads each with its own 1K local memory. Keep it simple on both ends.

I think Microsoft will stick with PowerPC CPU and ATI GPU. There is no reason to switch unless another solution allows lower cost for the hardware and/or software. Maybe AMD could offer a nice deal for a CPU/GPU combo, but PowerPC would allow simple backward compatibility with Xbox 360.

The Main Processor

The CPU will obviously be multi-core and at least triple-core. I think quad-core is enough with 2MB L2 shared cache. Combine that with an array of smaller cores accessed via an API similar to a PPU or GPU. 16MB eDRAM (or Z-RAM) cache may be something to consider to meet the bandwidth requirement of all those cores.

The alternative would be 8 main cores, 4MB L2, and no smaller cores.

The Graphics Processor

An evolution of Radeon HD (R600) and the Xbox 360 GPU (Xenos) would be fine. Add more shader and texture pipes/processors. Increase the clock speed. And update the shader model (6.0?). eDRAM should be enough to fit 1920x1080 32-bit with 2x MSAA without tiling. That's 32MB.

Memory

Advancing memory is simple. Increase capacity and bandwidth. We'll need 2GB to 4GB of high-speed main memory. 2GB fast GDDR5/GDDR6 plus 512MB (or 1GB) slower RAM could be interesting. Not everything needs blistering speed. A relatively slow auxiliary memory could be a cost-effective way to maximize the use of main memory.

Storage Drives

Next generation big budget games could use more space than DVD, and HD-DVD with a speed of 4x or 6x should be economical in 2011. A holographic format is doubtful but would please the tech nerds on the Net.

As for disc bandwidth, 6x HD-DVD would be the equivalent of 19.5x DVD and not a large leap over 12x DVD from Xbox 360. Too slow for the load time nerds? Games may need large RAM, some auxiliary RAM, or a drive cache to help decrease the number of disc accesses. An option to "install" to the HDD could be nice.

A hard disk drive I expect will be optional and swappable again, but all systems may come with some storage, HDD or Flash. HDD sizes may start at 250GB, while an "Elite" model has 750GB.

Communication

Ethernet and WiFi for networking should be standard. USB is the obvious choice for wired peripherals. What about wireless devices (controllers, etc.)? They could use the same proprietary protocol from Xbox 360 and/or Wireless USB.

Controller

Were you waiting for this part? The decision for what will be the standard controller can wait. Microsoft has time to gauge what consumers want. For now, I'll pencil in a wireless traditional game controller with some improvements such as TouchSense Vibration. A motion sensing wand could also be available separately packed with a casual game.

Spec Summary
32nm Chip Process Technology
IBM CPU at 4.8GHz (4 Main Cores + Many Small Cores)
ATI GPU at 800MHz
2GB GDDR5 Main RAM (~80 GB/sec)
512MB Auxiliary RAM
HD-DVD 6x Drive (216Mbps)
250GB 2.5-inch HDD
Ethernet, WiFi, USB
Flash Memory Unit Slots[/quote]

[url="http://vision.pcvsconsole.com/xbox-2011-specs/"]http://vision.pcvsconsole.com/xbox-2011-specs/[/url]

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='681226' date='Jul 24 2008, 03:30 PM']ok i found a similar article. stating that time in 2010 as the earliest at best. most likely looking at 2011.

[url="http://vision.pcvsconsole.com/xbox-2011-specs/"]http://vision.pcvsconsole.com/xbox-2011-specs/[/url][/quote]
with those estimates im guessing the 2012 date is 70% chance, 2011 is 29% and 2010 is 1%

• 3 months later...
ok so i ended up not sending it in i just usually play it till it fucks up on me..usually about 45 minutes in to it...I'm looking on here and its saying i will have to pay a 94 dollar fee because its out of warranty..I don't understand it..How can I get it for free? I really dont feel like dropping that much on it

[quote name='CJ4MVP85' post='723458' date='Nov 13 2008, 06:37 PM']ok so i ended up not sending it in i just usually play it till it fucks up on me..usually about 45 minutes in to it...I'm looking on here and its saying i will have to pay a 94 dollar fee because its out of warranty..I don't understand it..How can I get it for free? I really dont feel like dropping that much on it[/quote]
RROD = free

all other problems = warranty coverage or pay

[quote name='CJ4MVP85' post='723615' date='Nov 14 2008, 03:44 PM']I dont' have the reciept though from when I originally purchased it..Does that matter?[/quote]

Did you buy an extended warranty?

If not, why the hell would it matter if you have your receipt?

Face it, you're going to have to spend some money.

Archived