EA has exclusive rights to NCAA football now

Guest BengalsOwn

Guest BengalsOwn
[url="http://sports.ign.com/articles/603/603145p1.html"]http://sports.ign.com/articles/603/603145p1.html[/url]

That's getting out of hand.

Guest WHODEYNATION
thats some bullshit...nfl2k5 is soooo much better than madden....i hope EA takes a lot from sega and makes madden better than espn2k5...it will be hard to do

[quote name='fancywhodey' date='Apr 12 2005, 01:29 AM']madden kicks ass, ea makes the best sports games
[right][post="74286"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

well that may be your opinion... but watch out... it could possibly be that one day ea makes the ONLY sports games....

[quote name='fancywhodey' date='Apr 12 2005, 02:31 AM']that could be true, i think it is whatever your used to is whichever one you like the most, if you play espn 2k5 first then you'll like that more than madden 05
[right][post="74297"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Actually i had been playing madden for a long time before i started playing ESPN. The problem is, what incentive does EA have to make any improvements to the game now? Other than updating the graphics every year, i dont think we are going to see a new football game until i'm dead.

[quote name='Ben' date='Apr 12 2005, 09:05 AM']Actually i had been playing madden for a long time before i started playing ESPN.  The problem is, what incentive does EA have to make any improvements to the game now?  Other than updating the graphics every year, i dont think we are going to see a new football game until i'm dead.
[right][post="74318"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
because there is probably more to these contracts than we will ever know. you think the nfl is going to do this if there arent stipulations about improvements and keeping them up to date, dont be so naive.

[quote name='whodey319' date='Apr 12 2005, 09:03 AM']because there is probably more to these contracts than we will ever know.  you think the nfl is going to do this if there arent stipulations about improvements and keeping them up to date, dont be so naive.
[right][post="74329"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Madden could relabel this years copy and still sell 50million. Fanboys dont care.

btw, I didnt realize you were a video game industry insider. What else can you tell me. You know the release date on xbox 2?

[quote name='Ben' date='Apr 12 2005, 11:03 AM']Madden could relabel this years copy and still sell 50million.  Fanboys dont care.

btw, I didnt realize you were a video game industry insider.  What else can you tell me.  You know the release date on xbox 2?
[right][post="74336"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
doesnt have anything to do with being an insider, use common sense. What does the NFL have to gain if they give away exclusive rights and then a shitty product is made. Following your logic, EA just gave the NFL some cash and that is it and now they can do what they want. Your just pissed because you obviously like other NFL games over madden and now your games will be gone.

I think other football games will still be good. I know I'm looking forward to a Championship game between the Cincinnati Tigers and the Philadelphia Fighters [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img] . It essentially means that there will only be one of each kind of football game with actual likenesses, teams, and players.

[quote name='whodey319' date='Apr 12 2005, 10:26 AM']doesnt have anything to do with being an insider, use common sense.  What does the NFL have to gain if they give away exclusive rights and then a shitty product is made.  Following your logic, EA just gave the NFL some cash and that is it and now they can do what they want.  Your just pissed because you obviously like other NFL games over madden and now your games will be gone.
[right][post="74344"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

No... if madden sells 1 copy or 100 billion trillion copies, the NFL makes the same amount of money. The NFL only sold the right to use there name/players/etc...

I like compeition, competition is good for consumers. Competition fuels innovation. Competition usually ends up lowering prices for consumers. I'm not sure why your trying to make this about me, but I just cant understand why you think this is a good thing.

[quote name='whodey319' date='Apr 12 2005, 09:03 AM']because there is probably more to these contracts than we will ever know.  you think the nfl is going to do this if there arent stipulations about improvements and keeping them up to date, dont be so naive.
[right][post="74329"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

The NFL doesn't care about updates. They cared about the cash. A bad video game product means nothing to them. The only way I see it meaning anything to them is if they get a percentage of profits.

[url="http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/12/13/news_6114977.html"]http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/12/13/news_6114977.html[/url]

here is a link about the agreement and how it is odd for companies not to hold exclusive rights agreements with the NFL, how EA will most like bring out a new genre of game to go with the Madden and NFL Street Series, and how EA now feels everyone is looking at them to make the best game possible because they hold the exclusive rights.

[quote name='whodey319' date='Apr 12 2005, 02:25 PM'][url="http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/12/13/news_6114977.html"]http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/12/13/news_6114977.html[/url]

here is a link about the agreement and how it is odd for companies not to hold exclusive rights agreements with the NFL, how EA will most like bring out a new genre of game to go with the Madden and NFL Street Series, and how EA now feels everyone is looking at them to make the best game possible because they hold the exclusive rights.
[right][post="74413"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

It also talks about the disservice it does to the fans by not having competition.

I agree with Ben, no competition means no reason to make a better game, you can talk till your blue in the face about how EA has all eyes on them, bottom line when there is no other option and people want to play a football game with their favorite players playing on the teams they are currently on, what are they gonna by? hmmmmmm..... choice is gone, its a bum deal, period.

Guest BadassBengal
College football too? I don't even like college football, but damn! If they get the rights to NBA or College basketball, Imma be pissed da fuck off.

[quote name='BadassBengal' date='Apr 12 2005, 06:49 PM']College football too? I don't even like college football, but damn! If they get the rights to NBA or College basketball, Imma be pissed da fuck off.
[right][post="74550"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

NBA made a deal so that several game makers will still develop for it.

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='Apr 12 2005, 09:16 PM']NBA made a deal so that several game makers will still develop for it.
[right][post="74678"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
Im a big fan of all sports games and im always disappointed that the NBA games are so far behind the football games. they just never run as smooth

I have to agree with Ben 100%. The NFL does not make more money if EA sells more copies. The main factor that would drive EA to make a better game, is if they have to compete with someone else. Now that the competition is eliminated, EA could basically remake the same game it had last year, with new players included, a new cover and still make a ridiculous amount of money. Why dump a large sum of change into a bigger development team, when there is no competition, and it no longer matters if you are the best football game, because you are now the only football game?

EA buying up all the football rights is disturbing. I hope someone hits them up with a monopoly lawsuit, even though I doubt they will win, but just out of chance this could stop. Personally, I will not be buying the 2006 Madden, unless a Bengal is on the cover. I have a feeling it will be just a sorry replication of last years model, with 1 or 2 uninteresting new features.

[quote name='Dan_Bengals_NJ' date='Apr 16 2005, 11:05 AM']EA buying up all the football rights is disturbing. I hope someone hits them up with a monopoly lawsuit, even though I doubt they will win, but just out of chance this could stop. Personally, I will not be buying the 2006 Madden, unless a Bengal is on the cover. I have a feeling it will be just a sorry replication of last years model, with 1 or 2 uninteresting new features.
[right][post="76556"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
you guys love to over react. There is a common theme that most of the people worried about this are the ones that blasted Madden in other threads and love ESPN. Also, to think this is a monopoly is idiotic. If the NFL wants one manufacturer to produce their official game then that is their choice, just like they only have gatorade on the sidelines and reebok makes all the apparel.

[quote name='whodey319' date='Apr 16 2005, 12:34 PM']you guys love to over react.  There is a common theme that most of the people worried about this are the ones that blasted Madden in other threads and love ESPN. Also, to think this is a monopoly is idiotic. If the NFL wants one manufacturer to produce their official game then that is their choice, just like they only have gatorade on the sidelines and reebok makes all the apparel.
[right][post="76575"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

No, comparing Gatorade to video gaming is idiotic. Gatorade, still has to compete with other drinks. If their drink becomes shitty, I can buy powerade. Also, we desire for the jerseys to be reproduced the same year after year, while in a video game we want change. Also, by the way, I was more of a fan of Madden until this move. I own a copy of Madden 2005, while with the last other football game I bought was NFL 2K2.

For the consumer, competition is to be desired. To have two competing companies makes it much better for us. It means lower prices, and better product. By just having Madden, it means we will pay more and get less. Notice how Madden was forced to drop the game price down, after the ESPN game was gaining in sales. It just makes it better. Why you are so bent on supporting Madden, I do not know? I, however, know that this move is not one I support.

[quote name='Dan_Bengals_NJ' date='Apr 16 2005, 01:06 PM']No, comparing Gatorade to video gaming is idiotic. Gatorade, still has to compete with other drinks. If their drink becomes shitty, I can buy powerade. Also, we desire for the jerseys to be reproduced the same year after year, while in a video game we want change. Also, by the way, I was more of a fan of Madden until this move. I own a copy of Madden 2005, while with the last other football game I bought was NFL 2K2.

For the consumer, competition is to be desired. To have two competing companies makes it much better for us. It means lower prices, and better product. By just having Madden, it means we will pay more and get less. Notice how Madden was forced to drop the game price down, after the ESPN game was gaining in sales. It just makes it better. Why you are so bent on supporting Madden, I do not know? I, however, know that this move is not one I support.
[right][post="76583"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
you are 100% wrong on the gatorade compared to video game thing. No one is stopping any other company from producing football games, this is what people dont understand. You wont find powerade anywhere near an NFL field or event and you cant find an NFL jersey or apparel anywhere that isnt made by reebok and no one is in an uproar over this. The fact of the matter is, the NFL and no one else is in charge of who produces their products and they can do what they want. They are also the most controlling professional sport in history and there is no competition when it comes to the NFL. Video games were the last major item the NFL was associated with where there was no exclusivity agreement. I guarantee EA is going to produce high quality state of the art games because if they dont, the NFL has the ability to pull their agreements with these companies and go somewhere else.

[quote name='whodey319' date='Apr 16 2005, 04:53 PM']you are 100% wrong on the gatorade compared to video game thing.  No one is stopping any other company from producing football games, this is what people dont understand.  You wont find powerade anywhere near an NFL field or event and you cant find an NFL jersey or apparel anywhere that isnt made by reebok and no one is in an uproar over this.  The fact of the matter is, the NFL and no one else is in charge of who produces their products and they can do what they want.  They are also the most controlling professional sport in history and there is no competition when it comes to the NFL.  Video games were the last major item the NFL was associated with where there was no exclusivity agreement.  I guarantee EA is going to produce high quality state of the art games because if they dont, the NFL has the ability to pull their agreements with these companies and go somewhere else.
[right][post="76656"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

This is a absurd argument, while you dont get poweraid on the feild, and no one is stopping game makers from making a football game, the difference is that in a video game i get to play with a chad johnson or a carson palmer....there is no basis for comparison to gatorade...thats why this is a big deal, to be the offical nfl liscence means that while other game makers can make football games, they CANT use the players or their likeness.... who wants to buy a game that you cant play with your favorite player? .... thats why there will be no compitition, because the playing feild is no longer level.... what's so hard to understand about that?

[quote name='whodey319' date='Apr 16 2005, 03:53 PM']you are 100% wrong on the gatorade compared to video game thing.  No one is stopping any other company from producing football games, this is what people dont understand.  You wont find powerade anywhere near an NFL field or event and you cant find an NFL jersey or apparel anywhere that isnt made by reebok and no one is in an uproar over this.  The fact of the matter is, the NFL and no one else is in charge of who produces their products and they can do what they want.  They are also the most controlling professional sport in history and there is no competition when it comes to the NFL.  Video games were the last major item the NFL was associated with where there was no exclusivity agreement.  I guarantee EA is going to produce high quality state of the art games because if they dont, the NFL has the ability to pull their agreements with these companies and go somewhere else.
[right][post="76656"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

there has never been a more wrong post than this.

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='Apr 16 2005, 05:10 PM']This is a absurd argument, while you dont get poweraid on the feild, and no one is stopping game makers from making a football game, the difference is that in a video game i get to play with a chad johnson or a carson palmer....there is no basis for comparison to gatorade...thats why this is a big deal, to be the offical nfl liscence means that while other game makers can make football games, they CANT use the players or their likeness.... who wants to buy a game that you cant play with your favorite player? .... thats why there will be no compitition, because the playing feild is no longer level.... what's so hard to understand about that?
[right][post="76700"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

word.....

Archived