I know it's way early, but I'm bored... so here's my attempt:

1. Brian Orakpo, DE, Texas
2. Brian Cushing, OLB, USC
3. Antoine Caldwell, C, Alabama
4. Cedrick Dockery, G, Texas
5. Conredge Collins, FB, Pittsburgh
6. Tyrell Sutton, RB, Northwestern
7. Chase Daniel, QB, Missouri

Caldwell in the 3rd probably isn't going to happen... but one can hope!

it probably wouldn't be too terribly different than yours. I don't think you address the oline well though. We need to grab a tackle somewhere high, whether its a LT or a RT. I love the Cushing pick, but he may not drop that far. Also like the Sutton pick, and like that you took a FB somewhere. Don't care too much for the Chase Daniel pick as that's a pick we can use on a more pressing position. Definately have to grab a tackle somewhere though. Protecting Carson is priority number 1. Ideally:

Rd. 1 LT Oher (I'm liking him a little more than Smith at this point, though I'd take Smith or Curry as consolation)
Rd. 2 SLB Brian Cushing
Rd. 3 The best center still on the board (starter in free agency)
Rd. 3 comp RB Jeremiah Johnson
Rd. 4 Brannan Southerland, FB
Rd. 5 Kevin Huber, P
Rd. 6 DE prospect
Rd. 7 whoever

Just off the top of my head.

1. Rey Maualuga (ILB)
2. Alex Mack/Max Unger ©
3. Rashaad Jennings/Devin Moore/Aaron Brown (RB)
3. Alex Boone (OT)
4. Brandon Underwood/Coye Francies/Morgan Trent (CB)
4. Sammie Stroughter/Pat White (WR)
5. Nick Reed (OLB/DE tweener)
6. Rudy Carpenter/Todd Boeckman (QB)
7. Kenny Mainor (DE)
7. Scott Burley/Sean Sester (OT)

[quote name='eva4ben-gal' post='737626' date='Jan 4 2009, 09:44 PM']1. Rey Maualuga (ILB)
2. Alex Mack/Max Unger ©
3. Alex Boone (OT)
7. Kenny Mainor (DE)
7. Scott Burley/Sean Sester (OT)[/quote]

please no. I want Alex Boone as far away as possible from Cincinnati.

[quote name='eva4ben-gal' post='737626' date='Jan 4 2009, 09:44 PM']1. Rey Maualuga (ILB)
2. Alex Mack/Max Unger ©
3. Alex Boone (OT)
7. Kenny Mainor (DE)
7. Scott Burley/Sean Sester (OT)[/quote]

No to Maualuga that early, and we are not getting that many comp picks.

[quote name='Tigris' post='737682' date='Jan 5 2009, 07:23 AM']First two picks were sweet. I don't know much about the rest of the players in your draft besides Boone and and 3 QBs.

By the way, I don't think I'd want to toy with the moving a QB to WR thing again after McNeal.[/quote]
The problem with McNeal was that he was a thug and he was lazy. I don't get that impression from White.

Honestly, I don't know ton about a lot of those guys either, but Alex Brown was a beast in the bowl game I saw him play in, a real bruiser with some speed and Nick Reed is a sack master but might be too small to play DE and too slow to play LB- his draft stock depends entirely on the combine and Sammie Stroughter is another OSU receiver with great hands and good route running -could be the next TJ

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='737627' date='Jan 5 2009, 12:48 PM']please no. I want Alex Boone as far away as possible from Cincinnati.[/quote]
No shit. Why in the hell would we want this guy? He's gotten torched by top competition consistently.

If the Bengals draft him, my head is going to explode.

[quote name='Tigris' post='737919' date='Jan 6 2009, 07:38 AM']How'd Boone and Orakpo look last night? I watched a series each and went to bed.[/quote]

Boone looked like he usually does (crappy) and Orakpo pretty much had him beat every time one-on-one, though Orakpo never actually made it to the QB. Most of the game they had a TE helping Boone, which completely shutdown Orakpo.

I actually saw the TE's shut down Orakpo a couple times one-on-one better than Boone did. Boone just has no quickness to him.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='737923' date='Jan 6 2009, 07:48 AM']Boone looked like he usually does (crappy) and Orakpo pretty much had him beat every time one-on-one, though Orakpo never actually made it to the QB. Most of the game they had a TE helping Boone, which completely shutdown Orakpo.

I actually saw the TE's shut down Orakpo a couple times one-on-one better than Boone did. Boone just has no quickness to him.[/quote]
That's not really accurate at all. Boone started out playing Orakpo one on one and allowed one QB hurry and got called for holding once but it wasn't until Texas shifted Orakpo to the other side of the line that he started getting to the QB every other snap.
Boone did get off the line slow a couple of times, but once he got Orakpo in front of him he was smothering him. Orakpo wasn't much of a factor in the pass rush until the second half.
Also, Boone was good in run blocking as many of Wells' first-half runs and then Herron in the second half were to the left side.
Also, Orakpo didn't show anything other than a quick burst and a bull rush. I really think he looks like a clone of Justin Smith and would be a terrible pick at No. 6. Remember Smith had about 11 sacks his senior year and was a workout warrior just like Orakpo.

[quote name='eva4ben-gal' post='737930' date='Jan 6 2009, 08:06 AM']That's not really accurate at all. Boone started out playing Orakpo one on one and allowed one QB hurry and got called for holding once but it wasn't until Texas shifted Orakpo to the other side of the line that he started getting to the QB every other snap.
Boone did get off the line slow a couple of times, but once he got Orakpo in front of him he was smothering him. Orakpo wasn't much of a factor in the pass rush until the second half.
Also, Boone was good in run blocking as many of Wells' first-half runs and then Herron in the second half were to the left side.
Also, Orakpo didn't show anything other than a quick burst and a bull rush. I really think he looks like a clone of Justin Smith and would be a terrible pick at No. 6. Remember Smith had about 11 sacks his senior year and was a workout warrior just like Orakpo.[/quote]

I saw Orakpo beat Boone one-on-one 3 times in the first half alone.

I don't really like Boone too much as a Bengal pick due to his attitude. However, physically he isn't bad for a mid round guy.

You have to consider that he is playing LT and has done pretty well except against first round talent type opponents. If you move him to guard in the NFL, I think he's a solid guy in the mold of Andrew Whitworth. Basically, he's shown enough and has enough size/athleticism that he could be a good guard in the NFL and might have a shot as a RT if he improves a bit.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='737935' date='Jan 6 2009, 09:12 AM']I saw Orakpo beat Boone one-on-one 3 times in the first half alone.[/quote]
One of those was on a designed screen, one he got a QB hurry and the other was probably when Boone was called for holding. Orakpo didn't line up against Boone in the second half. I think that's a pretty good showing for a guy you seem to think is garbage against a guy you think is a Top 10 pick.

Is there any chance we can get Mohammad Massaquoi in the late rounds of the draft? I haven't seen any real ranking on him. I would guess he is a second day pick but you never know. He was pretty productive at UGA though.

[quote name='JC' post='738112' date='Jan 6 2009, 11:09 PM']Is there any chance we can get Mohammad Massaquoi in the late rounds of the draft? I haven't seen any real ranking on him. I would guess he is a second day pick but you never know. He was pretty productive at UGA though.[/quote]
That would be nice. He'd definitely need to add some muscle.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='Tigris' post='740616' date='Jan 17 2009, 11:01 AM']Are we even going to have any comp picks?

Who all left? Madieu Williams is all I can think of...

And when do we find out?

I say we get a 4th for Madieu.[/quote]

We lost Madieu, Justin and Landon, and signed Odom.

In my opinion we get a 4 and a 7.

Offensive focused Draft... meaning we go D in FA:

1. Michael Oher, T, Ole Miss
2. Herman Johnson, G, LSU
3. Donald Brown, RB, UConn
3b. Edwin Williams, C, Maryland
4. Antonio Appleby, ILB, Virginia
5. Ramon Foster, T, Tennessee
6. Quinn Johnson, FB, LSU
7. John Parker Wilson, QB, Alabama

Defensive Draft... Go O in FA...

1. Aaron Curry, OLB, Wake
2. Jasper Brinkley, ILB, South Carolina
3. Connor Barwin, DE/OLB, Cincinnati
3b. Cedric Dockery, G, Texas
4. Glenn Coffee, RB, Alabama
5. Domonique Johnson, CB, Jackson St.
6. Dorell Scott, DT, Clemson
7. Anthony Scirrotto, S, Penn St.

[quote name='Jason' post='740647' date='Jan 17 2009, 11:05 PM']We lost Madieu, Justin and Landon, and signed Odom.

In my opinion we get a 4 and a 7.[/quote]
Playing also goes into this I believe, not just contracts.

I think Madieu and Odom might cancel each other out, or they might not have even played enough to qualify. I dont think Uthect played enough to qualify and Landon didnt play that much either, he had something like 14 ST tackles and I am not sure how much run he got on defense.

Justin might be the only one that gets us anything.

This is the toughest year to figure out and I am not sure what I will do for my mock draft

Archived