Reserve Your 2010 Draft Pick Now!

[quote][size=5][b]Lewis pleased with experience[/b][/size]
By Joe Reedy • jreedy@enquirer.com • January 23, 2009

After five days of practices and interviews, college football’s top seniors get one more opportunity to display their skills Saturday in the Senior Bowl.

And for the second time in six years, Marvin Lewis and the Bengals’ coaching staff are coaching the North squad and have had an advantage of seeing the players up close.

“I think it’s gone really well. It’s been a good week and a good group,” Lewis said. “It’s the best look you have at anyone.”

When asked for a position group that he liked – Lewis said he has been pleased with the North’s defensive linemen. The standout of that group according to scouts and observers in Mobile, Ala., this week has been Boston College’s B.J. Raji, who has looked strong especially in pass-rushing situations.

As for the University of Cincinnati contingent, Conner Barwin has continued to impress everyone with his versatility. Barwin was invited as a tight end, but lined up some Wednesday on the defensive line, where he showed his strength in pass rushing.

While most observers are still projecting Barwin to play on defense, he has showed nice hands while running routes at tight end and has done a solid job blocking.

Offensive lineman Trevor Canfield struggled early in the week but has made progress, especially on Wednesday and Thursday, and defensive back DeAngelo Smith rebounded on Thursday in one-on-one coverages.

Punter Kevin Huber is also participating in the game while defensive back Mike Mickens will not play due to a lingering knee injury suffered late in the season.

For the South team, which is being coached by Jacksonville’s Jack Del Rio, Louisville center and Elder grad Eric Wood has struggled this week in pass protection.

As for what he wants to see in Saturday's game, Lewis said: “We want to see them go out and play hard. We have to be able to run the football effectively and make tackles on defense.”

Lewis is hoping that this game has a different result than in 2004, when the North lost 28-10. In that game, the South’s Philip Rivers, who would be drafted by San Diego, threw for 213 yards and two touchdowns.

Lewis would not comment today on reports that quarterbacks coach Ken Zampese will interview next week for Tampa Bay’s offensive coordinator opening.

Zampese, who has been with the team since 2003, was also thought to be a candidate for Jets offensive coordinator, but it appears that Brian Schottenheimer will stay in New York.

The team has repeatedly declined to comment on reports that Lewis is interested in bringing Hue Jackson to Cincinnati as offensive coordinator.[/quote]

[url="http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20090123/SPT02/301230075/1066/rss07"]http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2009012...0075/1066/rss07[/url]

[quote name='oldschooler' post='741972' date='Jan 23 2009, 08:47 PM'][url="http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20090123/SPT02/301230075/1066/rss07"]http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2009012...0075/1066/rss07[/url][/quote]

If there is no truth to the rumor that they want Hue then why not just deny the reports?

• 4 months later...
Yeah, yeah, I know, too early. We don't know where we will be drafting, or what we will need.

I don't care.

If you could pick any upcoming SENIOR to be the Bengals first round pick in 2010, who do you want and why?

For me it's Brandon Spikes. The thought of a LB corps of Rivers, Maualuga and Spikes is just sick.

[quote name='Jason' post='782041' date='Jun 23 2009, 07:27 PM']Yeah, yeah, I know, too early. We don't know where we will be drafting, or what we will need.

I don't care.

If you could pick any upcoming SENIOR to be the Bengals first round pick in 2010, who do you want and why?

For me it's Brandon Spikes. The thought of a LB corps of Rivers, Maualuga and Spikes is just sick.[/quote]
Taylor Mays, S, USC
Terrence Cody, DT, Alabama
or
Mark Herzlich, OLB, Boston College

[quote name='CrazyIrishman5' post='782209' date='Jun 25 2009, 12:03 AM']Taylor Mays, S, USC
Terrence Cody, DT, Alabama
or
Mark Herzlich, OLB, Boston College[/quote]
Herzlich was just recently diagnosed with a rare form of cancer and may never play football again. Hell of a football player though.

S Taylor Mays, USC - Huge, fast, can hit, can cover
TE Jermaine Gresham, Oklahoma - Great receiver and blocker
OLB Sergio Kindle, Texas - Extremely athletic pass rushing linebacker

The Cody kid from Alabama is definately a guy to watch this season. The ILB McClain is a guy I've watched for 2 seasons. Was starting MLB when he was a freshman.

A lot of DEs to keep eyes on as well. Juniors and Seniors. Hardy, Selvie, Wooten, Hughes, Kindle.

A number of QBs as well, but the Bengals should have no interest there. (IMO, Tebow won't be a good NFL QB)

• 1 month later...

Archived