No New Chappelle Show

Guest Bengal_Smoov

[quote name='Bengals_12th_Man' date='May 12 2005, 11:09 PM'][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v461/brad3261/forum/Bump.jpg[/img]

Has anyone heard any news on this???
[right][post="91738"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Not any more than whats been posted, its a weird situation, I hope he's ok, the dude is hella funny.

[quote name='BengalBeotch' date='May 12 2005, 11:44 PM']They were definately talking about him in a mental hospital in Africa
on the radio this morning....bizarre stuff...wonder what made him [b]crack?[/b][right][post="91772"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

[img]http://archive.aiesec.ws/www.aieseconline.net/blogs/images/drake/tyrone.jpg[/img]

Crack?!?!? ..... Did someone say Crack?!?!

It seems awfully fucking odd that he would be in South Africa and not Europe. South Africa is still a very racist nation. I can understand that he doesn't want very much media attention, but why he isn't in a better institution is beyond me.

Unless he is there against his will or against his judgement.

[quote name='#22' date='May 13 2005, 12:03 AM']It seems awfully fucking odd that he would be in South Africa and not Europe. South Africa is still a very racist nation. I can understand that he doesn't want very much media attention, but why he isn't in a better institution is beyond me.
[b]Unless he is there against his will or against his judgement.[/b]
[right][post="91786"][/post][/right][/quote]

How completly ironic would that be if it were true with the picture of him in chains at the end of his show...during the "im rich beotch" sound bite??

:wacko:

[url="http://www.drudgereport.com/flash1.htm"]Drudge[/url] is saying that there will be an article about him in "Time Magazine" tomorrow, where he says he's not in a mental-health clinic or a rehab.

[quote]COMEDY CHAPPELLE SPEAKS: WHAT I DID FOR $50 MILLION
Sat May 14 2005 19:48:54 ET

**Exclusive**

Dave Chappelle Found! Talks Exclusively with TIME Magazine in South Africa

"I figured, Let me just cut myself off from everybody, take a minute and pull a Flintstone-stop a speeding car by using my feet as the brakes. I am surprised at what I would do for $50 million. I am surprised at what people around me would do for me to have $50 million," Dave Chappelle tells TIME's Christopher John Farley in an exclusive interview.

CHAPPELLE tells TIME he's not in mental hospital or drug rehab, debunking earlier reports in ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY and elsewhere.

The full story, as well as exclusive photos of Chappelle in South Africa, will appear on TIME.com Sunday morning and in the issue that hits newsstands Monday.

Developing...[/quote]

Guest BengalBacker
This is in today's Dayton Daily. I had no idea he was from Yellow Springs and has a farm there that he stays at half the year. Yellow Springs is real close to Dayton for those who don't know.

Fans, friends concerned for Chappelle
Comedian's status uncertain with hit show in limbo
By Laura Dempsey and Margo Rutledge Kissell

Dayton Daily News

Dave Chappelle used to skateboard in the parking lot at Wiley's, killing the downtime surrounding his shows at the Oregon District comedy club.

Fans, friends concerned for Chappelle

That was then — years ago — when headlining a small city's comedy club was a good job for Chappelle, before the otherworldy adoration, the uncontrollable fame and the unfathomable amounts of money thrown at him as his half-hour sketch-comedy tour de force, Comedy Central's Chappelle's Show, grew in acclaim and popularity. That was then, before anybody cared that Dave Chappelle was skateboarding in a downtown Dayton parking lot.

Today, everybody seems to care about where Chappelle is. Everybody cares, but nobody seems to know. What is known is that production of Chappelle's Show's third season was mysteriously halted late last year, its premiere moved from mid-February to May 31, before just-as mysteriously being pulled from Comedy Central's schedule and "indefinitely postponed" in a statement issued May 4.

It's become big news not just for the mystery, but because Chappelle, who grew up in Yellow Springs and still spends half the year at his farm there, went from working clubs like Wiley's to last August's reported $50 million contract with Comedy Central in what felt like a heartbeat, all while refusing to add even a drop of dilution to his laser-like vision of funny. Edgy doesn't begin to describe him.

According to Wiley's owner Rob Haney, neither do the words being used to describe Chappelle today, as rumors swirl about drug rehab, mental health problems, a sojourn to South Africa and bitter creative differences with Comedy Central.

Haney said he doesn't know what's going on with his friend, and refused to add to the speculation.

"Our biggest concern is he's OK and is taking a little break," Haney said. "I've never seen anything indicating Dave had any kind of a drug problem at all. I would find that shocking if that was the case."

For four years now, Chappelle has done a Wiley's Thanksgiving show, honoring his hometown knew-him-when venue while selling out places such as the Schuster Center, where he performed in June.

"Once he got the new show, it ratcheted up an additional notch in popularity," said Haney. "I felt enormous stress just fielding all the people — charity organizations; people claiming they were close friends but, of course, didn't have his phone number; people dropping off scripts — just a myriad of bizarre requests."

Haney said that when asked how he handled the stress, Chappelle shrugged it off with a, "Yes, it can be hard."

"He didn't seem as stressed as me, but then again, he's probably used to it. Everyone wants a piece of him."

Right now, nobody's getting anything — not even Comedy Central and its $50 million deal, signed with Chappelle as his show was the hottest thing going. The deal was struck to ensure two more seasons of Chappelle's Show and a development deal for other programs, according to published reports. It also gave the comedian a slice of DVD sales, the icing that could overwhelm the cake: First season DVD sales of Chappelle's Show, at 2.8 million, make it the biggest selling TV show DVD to date. Season Two goes on sale May 24.

Rumors, of course, are flying. Talk of network, drug and mental health problems are making the rounds, but Chappelle himself has been officially silent and equally invisible. His publicist, Matt Labov, told The New York Times that drugs aren't an issue; other than that, Chappelle's real reps aren't talking. But friends and acquaintances are, most notably in Newsweek's May 16 issue that quotes a "source close to Chappelle," a "celebrity friend" and a "music-industry pal" who speak of concerns about drug abuse, personal trauma and just plain pressure.

Entertainment Weekly quoted an unidentified source Wednesday as saying that Chappelle checked himself into a South African mental health facility on April 28. Official sources did not comment.

Last September, Chappelle took 94 members of Central State University's marching band to New York City, where they were filmed with hip-hop star Kanye West while performing his song, Jesus Walks. The footage was for a documentary Chappelle was making, said to be a celebration of the black community.

Band director Brian Millsapp hasn't heard anything about the status of the film, but said the experience was wonderful for the students and adults who accompanied them.

"I'm very much concerned and sincerely hoping he gets the proper treatment so he can get back on the circuit."

In Yellow Springs, where Chappelle maintains a farm with his wife and two sons, the mood is one of protective interest.

Ye Olde Trail Tavern waitress Rachael Urschel, 26, notes a quiet buzz when Chappelle is spotted walking along Xenia Avenue.

"People are pretty good about not bothering him," she said.

"Nobody ever bugs him. I think that's why he comes here (to the village)," said Jennifer Duvall, 20, a clerk at Tom's Market where Chappelle sometimes shops.

Tad Cleveland, manager of Dark Star Books & Comics, said he's a big fan of Chappelle's Show.

"I like a lot of stuff he has on that show," said Cleveland, 28. "It is kind of cool to see him."

Cleveland would love to see the show return to the air but only if that's what's best for Chappelle.

"I think the main thing is he's healthy and doing well," he said. "It's a great show that I hope continues but I don't want something like that to continue to be a detriment to his health."

From yahoo...

Dave Chappelle Says He's Not Crazy
Sunday May 15 10:06 AM ET

Comedian Dave Chappelle wants to set things straight: "I'm not crazy, I'm not smoking crack," he tells Time magazine in an interview more than a week after his hit Comedy Central show was suspended and the rumors started to fly.

"I'm definitely stressed out," said Chappelle, who took off last month to South Africa for a "spiritual retreat," leaving his fans and even his agent and publicist wondering where he went.

"You hear so many voices jockeying for position in your mind that you want to make sure that you hear your own voice," he said. "So I figured, let me just cut myself off from everybody, take a minute and pull a Flintstone stop a speeding car by using my bare feet as the brakes."

After Comedy Central announced that the planned May 31 debut of the third season of "Chappelle's Show" had been postponed, the magazine Entertainment Weekly reported that Chappelle had checked himself into a mental health facility in South Africa.

"I'm not in a mental facility," said Chappelle, who also said he did not have a drug problem but had consulted a psychiatrist for one 40-minute visit.

The 31-year-old comedian said he fled to stay with friends in Durban because he wasn't happy with the direction of the show, which is behind only "South Park" as Comedy Central's most-watched program.

"There's a lot of resistance to my opinions, so I decided, 'Let me remove myself from this situation,'" Chappelle said.

Comedy Central president Doug Herzog told Time that the star has "complete creative freedom." He has told staff he believes there won't be a "Chappelle's Show" in 2005, but leaves the option open for the comedian's return.

Chappelle, whose wife and two children live in Ohio, said he hopes to start up the show again, but did not indicate when he would return.

Comedy Central had inked a reported $50 million deal to keep "Chappelle's Show" for two more seasons, and the comedian hinted to Time about struggles associated with the power and fame that come with that kind of success.

"If you don't have the right people around you, and you're moving at a million miles an hour, you can lose yourself," he said. "Everyone around me says, 'You're a genius, you're great, that's your voice,' but I'm not sure that they're right."

Guest BengalBacker
Today's DDN

Chappelle seen in Yellow Springs
By Amelia Robinson

Dayton Daily News

YELLOW SPRINGS | Days after reports that he retreated to South Africa to escape the stresses of national fame, area residents said they've spotted outspoken comedian Dave Chappelle tooling around a community where his presence draws relatively little attention.

"He comes here because he's from here and he feels comfortable, and nobody makes a big deal about it," said Shelly Williams, an employee of Ye Old Trail Tavern in Yellow Springs.

"You can see him (go by) if you stand outside."

Co-worker Cole Lindenmuth said he saw Chappelle, host of Comedy Central's Chappelle Show in Yellow Springs on Thursday.

"He was just chilling and walking around with his friend," Lindenmuth said.

Rumors about Chappelle's state-of-mind began to fly after Comedy Central said his show's production was "indefinitely postponed."

More than a week later, Chappelle, who grew up in Yellow Springs and still spends part of the year at his farm outside of town, told Time magazine that he was not mentally ill and not "smoking crack."

Instead, Chappelle, who signed a $50 million deal with the cable network last year, said he went to South Africa because he was stressed out.

"There were things that overwhelmed me," he said in the Time article.

"But not in the way that people are saying. I haven't spent any of the money. All that stuff about partying and taking crack is not true. Why do I live on a farm in Ohio? To support my partying lifestyle?"

Cyndee Perkins, manager of the Import House on Dayton Street, said employees told her Chappelle came into the business on Wednesday and bought American Spirit cigarettes.

Perkins said she couldn't blame Chappelle for feeling stressed. She said the community was concerned when Chappelle's whereabouts weren't widely known just as it would have been if any other member was troubled.

Perkins said Chappelle is always friendly to fans, signing autographs and talking to them."

He's from here, and he's part of the community," she said.

[url="http://www.jokaroo.com/funnyvideos/gayamericachappelle.html"]http://www.jokaroo.com/funnyvideos/gayamericachappelle.html[/url]

Gay America skits from Dave! Hilarious!

BTW, didn't know he was from Yellow Springs, never missed the opportunity to pass thru there myself when I used to travel between Xenia and Springfield very beautiful town

[quote name='Bengal_Smoov' date='May 26 2005, 08:30 PM']Anybody buy Season 2???
[right][post="96709"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Not yet, but I was gonna pick it up this weekend. After I get back from NYC.

Guest Bengal_Smoov

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='May 26 2005, 08:06 PM']Not yet, but I was gonna pick it up this weekend. After I get back from NYC.
[right][post="96720"][/post][/right][/quote]

Comin to NYC..the weather should get better..but it's been in the 50's and raining all week :angry: ....NYC's weather SUCKS...It's only warm for 3 months..Did you talk the misses into seeing Dirty Rotten Scoundrals....

[quote name='Bengal_Smoov' date='May 26 2005, 09:52 PM']Comin to NYC..the weather should get better..but it's been in the 50's and raining all week :angry: ....NYC's weather SUCKS...It's only warm for 3 months..Did you talk the misses into seeing Dirty Rotten Scoundrals....
[right][post="96735"][/post][/right][/quote]

Oh not the Misses, just a close friend (I'm single)....we went up and down on that rollercoaster...and sometimes still do, but in the end nothing will change on that front...Im sure weve all been there. Actually were gonna see Mama Mia (her choice) had I known it was Abba music when I got the tickets I may have objected....ah well hinesight and all. Yeah I checked the weather report, it says its gonna be raining off and on all day. (She's going to school in Jersey, and lives an hour outside the city, were only gonna be there on sat.)

Thanks again for the help.

Guest BengalBacker
Chappelle fans click this.

[url="http://www.funfry.com/showphoto.php/photo/2510"]http://www.funfry.com/showphoto.php/photo/2510[/url]

Guest BengalBacker
more.

[url="http://www.negative-shock.net/index.php?ns=view_vid&id=400"]http://www.negative-shock.net/index.php?ns=view_vid&id=400[/url]

Archived