Offseason 2010

starkesn

[u][b]2010 Bengals Free Agents:[/b][/u]

[b]
Restricted Free Agents[/b]

David Jones, CB –Tendered, – (5th Round Pick Compensation)
Evan Mathis, OG – Tendered, – (3rd Round Pick Compensation)
Frostee Rucker, DE – Tendered, – (3rd Round Pick Compensation)
Rashad Jeanty, LB – Low Level Tender, – (2nd Round Pick Compensation)
Brandon Johnson, LB – Mid Level Tender, – (1st Round Pick Compensation)

[b]Unrestricted Free Agents[/b]

Jeremi Johnson, FB – I think he’ll be resigned, but Fui may beat him out in camp. (2 year deal)
Tank Johnson, DT – He was hampered by planter fasciitis all season and was still effective, we need him. (2 year deal)
Bobbie Williams, OG – He may have lost a step, but his leadership can’t be underestimated. (1 year deal)
Roy Williams, SS – He won’t cost much since he’s likely a backup. (2 year deal)
Reggie Kelly, TE – His leadership and knowledge of the offense is invaluable. (1 year deal)

[b]Extended[/b]

Jonathan Joseph, CB – I would love to resign both Hall & Joseph, but JJ needs to priority number one. (4 year deal)
Kyle Cook, C – He has been far better than anyone could have expected. (3 year deal)

[b]Released[/b]

Laverneous Coles, WR – I just don’t think he has anything left. If they sign T.O. I expect him to be released soon after.

[b]Free Agents[/b]

Matt Jones, WR – At near league minimum, he’s worth a flyer. (1 year deal)
Terrell Owns, WR – I think he actually would work out really well as long as we are winning. (1 year deal)

[size="2"][u][b]2010 NFL Draft[/b][/u][/size]

* Cincinnati trades the #21 overall pick to Dallas Cowboys for Martellus Bennett and the #27 overall pick.
Judging by our history in this range of the draft, we have a tendency to look to trade back. I think someone is going to drop in our lap that will have teams picking up the phones and I think Dallas is the team to move back with. I have Cincinnati moving back to #27 overall and picking up Martellus Bennett in the process to help solidify the Tight End spot behind Reggie Kelly & Chase Coffman.

[u][b]Round 1 (27) – Kyle Wilson, CB, Boise State – 5’10” 185lbs[/b][/u]
I completely think John Thornton is right about drafting secondary in the first round. While safety is certainly an option, I think this draft is much deeper at that position than at corner. Adding Wilson to the mix not only would solidify the corner position, but also provide management with protection in the event that they can’t retain both Hall & Joseph in the coming years. Wilson is stronger than you would anticipate given his size, but what really sets him apart is his ability to mirror his man and make plays on the ball. He is blessed with great foot quickness, balance and the acceleration to catch up when beaten on a double-move. In addition to all that, he’s a dynamic return man as well which brings extra value to his selection.

[u][b]Round 2 – Mardy Gilyard, WR, Cincinnati – 6’1” 180lbs[/b][/u]
Despite Gilyard’s small frame he has been one of the best receivers in the nation hauling in 161 receptions over the past 2 years. He has great hands and speed which keeps opposing defenses on their toes at all times. He also has a knack for making the incredible catch look easy and at times, has looked a little Ochocinco-esque with his excellent footwork along the sidelines. The best thing about Gilyard is that he always seems to have his best games when he’s needed the most. Not only is Gilyard one of the best receivers in the draft, but he also has the ability to instantly become one of the best return men in the NFL. If you thought Huber was a fan favorite in Cincinnati, wait until this guys suites up in stripes.

[u][b]Round 3 – Geno Atkins, DT, Georgia – 6’1” 290lbs[/b][/u]
After seeing him make Iupati look silly at times during the Senior Bowl, I really think this guy could be a steal at this point in the draft. He was just way too quick and explosive off the line against the larger interior linemen and was pushing the pocket against the run and the pass. He’s not going to be a big run-stuffer at his size, but his quickness and athleticism are first rate. He is explosive and powerful off the snap and is incredibly nimble for a guy his size. He may not be an every down starter, but he would be incredibly valuable as a rotational player to give Tank Johnson a blow.

[b][u]Round 3 (Comp) – Myron Rolle, S, Florida State – 6’2” 215lbs[/u][/b]
Myron Rolle is a complicated prospect. On paper he should be a first round lock. He’s big, 6-2 218, fast, mid 4.4s 40, smart and a great leader on the field from the safety position. There are no holes in his game, however, that year off is going to scare teams enough for him to drop to the 3-4 round range. At the senior bowl, he at least showed scouts he hasn’t lost a step physically, and his private workouts will go a long way to determining how high he might go. While he may need some time to step in immediately and claim the starting spot, Rolle could become the field general of the secondary. He would be a great compliment to the pieces we’ve already assembled on defense.

[u][b]Round 4 – Dan LeFeavor, QB, Central Michigan – 6’3” 238lbs[/b][/u]
If there is a dark horse of quarterback prospect for the 2010 NFL draft, this is the guy. Over the last 3 seasons, LeFeavor was the unquestioned leader of the Central Michigan Chippewas. In that span he has averaged nearly 3,000 yards and 25 touchdowns passing along with 700 yards and 10 touchdowns rushing playing in a spread offense that some worry won’t translate to the NFL. Even though I've only watched him play a few times he kind of reminds me of Matt Ryan because of his calmness in the pocket and his ability to throw outside of the pocket. It’s not like we need someone to come in tomorrow and take over for Palmer, so while he learns to adjust to a more pro-style offense, we can use him on gadget plays and he could be a great asset in the redzone with his ability to run and pass.

[u]Round 5 – Brandon Carter, OG, Texas Tech – 6’7” 354lbs[/u]
Carter showed off his skills in the East-West Shrine Game. Most scouts were impressed with how quick his feet were for somebody of his size. Though, it was more than his quickness that was impressive; Carter also proved that he has more than enough strength for the next level. Carter just simply mashes defenders and mauls them until the whistle on every snap. He’s surprisingly quick off the ball and in short spurts, but he’s never going to be described as being overly athletic. He looks and plays like a freak and could be a valuable back-up to Bobbie on the right side of the line.

[u][b]Round 6 – Leigh Tiffin, K, Alabama[/b][/u]
[u][b]Round 7 – Michael Hoomanawanui, TE, Illinois[/b][/u]

[u][b]2010 Roster[/b][/u]

Carson Palmer, QB
J.T. O’Sullivan, QB
Dan LeFeavor, QB

Cedrick Benson, RB
Jeremi Johnson, FB
Bernard Scott, RB
Brian Leonard, RB

Chad Ochocinco, WR
Terrell Owens, WR
Marshawn Gilyard, WR
Andre Caldwell, WR
Matt Jones, WR

Reggie Kelly, TE
Chase Coffman, TE
Martellus Bennett, TE

Andrew Whitworth, LT
Anthony Collins, LT
Nate Livings, LG
Evan Mathis, LG
Kyle Cook, C
Jonathan Luigs, C
Bobbie Williams, RG
Brandon Carter, RG
Andre Smith, RT
Dennis Roland, RT

Antwan Odom, DE
Robert Geathers, DE
Michael Johnson, DE
Jonathan Fanene, DE
Domata Peko, DT
Pat Sims, DT
Tank Johnson, DT
Geno Adkins, DT

Keith Rivers, LB
Dhani Jones, LB
Rey Maualuga, LB
Brandon Johnson, LB
Rashad Jeanty, LB
Abdul Hodge, LB

Leon Hall, CB
Jonathan Joseph, CB
Kyle Wilson, CB
Morgan Trent, CB
David Jones, CB

Chris Crocker, S
Chinadum Ndukwe, S
Myron Rolle, S
Roy Williams, S
Kyries Hebert, S
Tom Nelson, S

Leigh Tiffin, K
Kevin Huber, P
Clark Harris, LS

[quote name='akiliMVP' date='21 February 2010 - 12:53 AM' timestamp='1266731609' post='864574']
Worst 1st round pick ever.

Gilyard is decent but he's not a deep threat or a big target so doesn't fit in to what we need.
[/quote]

Gilyard is the future replacement for CHAD not Henry. T.O would fill the deep threat void in our offense. As for the first round, why is that a bad pick? He's the #2 rated corner on almost everyone list, had a great senior bowl, and shores up the corner situation in case we can't resign Hall or Joesph. Earl Thomas will be gone, Iupati will be gone, no other receiver or tight end is worth the pick, so who do you suggest we take? Actually come in with some decent criticism instead of just spouting off and adding no input what-so-ever.

[quote name='starkesn' date='21 February 2010 - 01:17 AM' timestamp='1266733072' post='864578']
Gilyard is the future replacement for CHAD not Henry. T.O would fill the deep threat void in our offense. As for the first round, why is that a bad pick? He's the #2 rated corner on almost everyone list, had a great senior bowl, and shores up the corner situation in case we can't resign Hall or Joesph. Earl Thomas will be gone, Iupati will be gone, no other receiver or tight end is worth the pick, so who do you suggest we take? Actually come in with some decent criticism instead of just spouting off and adding no input what-so-ever.
[/quote]
Fuckin TO isn't going to solve anything!! He's 37 years old and even if he can manage to play near the level he's used to he is nothing but a very short term "solution." We need youth on offense not an aging diva drama queen shell of his former self.

Why is drafting the 3rd 1st round corner in 5 years a bad idea? I don't know maybe because it's retarded to have 3 1st round corners on the team and we have 10 more needs than a nickel corner??!??! Benn and Tate fill actual needs and are more than worthy of the pick. You don't need to have a 1st round pick at corner for them to be good and both Hall and Joseph are signed for at least one more season. If you want to take a corner in round 3 that's more than fine but we don't need to reach for one in round 1. I can't even fathom a Bengals fan wanting to spend a 1st round pick on our strongest position.

Do I usually just spout off without adding input because I don't think I do thank you very much.

[quote name='akiliMVP' date='20 February 2010 - 10:25 PM' timestamp='1266733528' post='864580']
Fuckin TO isn't going to solve anything!! He's 37 years old and even if he can manage to play near the level he's used to he is nothing but a very short term "solution." We need youth on offense not an aging diva drama queen shell of his former self.

Why is drafting the 3rd 1st round corner in 5 years a bad idea? I don't know maybe because it's retarded to have 3 1st round corners on the team and we have 10 more needs than a nickel corner??!??! Benn and Tate fill actual needs and are more than worthy of the pick. You don't need to have a 1st round pick at corner for them to be good and both Hall and Joseph are signed for at least one more season. If you want to take a corner in round 3 that's more than fine but we don't need to reach for one in round 1. I can't even fathom a Bengals fan wanting to spend a 1st round pick on our strongest position.

Do I usually just spout off without adding input because I don't think I do thank you very much.
[/quote]

It's not like a rookie WR is going to do anything next season anyway. Drafting a corner is a great idea, IMO.

[quote name='sois' date='21 February 2010 - 01:32 AM' timestamp='1266733929' post='864581']
It's not like a rookie WR is going to do anything next season anyway. Drafting a corner is a great idea, IMO.
[/quote]
Yeah he may not but at some point you have to add and develop young talent at the position. You can't just not draft a WR every season because they aren't going to tear it up from day 1. How are you going to fill the obvious need of youth and talent at the WR position? Benn and Tate are MORE than worth the pick. Every single draft expert you can find has 1 or both rated higher than Wilson.

This draft is super deep at corner. Corner is not a need AT ALL with Hall and Joseph being two of our best defensive players. If they are so concerned about losing one they can draft one in round 3 after they take a WR and guard or safety, all MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH bigger needs. OR they can draft one in the 1st round next year when the position MAY become a need. Personally I think they will both be locked up long term.

[quote name='akiliMVP' date='21 February 2010 - 01:25 AM' timestamp='1266733528' post='864580']

[/quote]

So what's a rookie WR going to do in their first year? If you want a impact player in 2010, take TE.

I don't have no problem with another CB in round one. You draft 21st got to take the best player that drops to you. To be fair, he does have WR in round 2.

[quote name='scharm' date='22 February 2010 - 10:35 AM' timestamp='1266852954' post='864709']
So what's a rookie WR going to do in their first year? If you want a impact player in 2010, take TE.

I don't have no problem with another CB in round one. You draft 21st got to take the best player that drops to you. To be fair, he does have WR in round 2.
[/quote]
You don't draft a receiver for their first season. You draft them for what they do in year 2 or 3. We are not going to draft a tight end in round 1. Not in this offense. Kyle Wilson is far from the best player available. Need plays a part in BPA. A nickel CB is not a round 1 need AT ALL. Ignoring adding a talented receiver because they may not be great year 1 is pretty dumb. Also Gilyard is exactly like all the receivers we already have. We need a big guy or deep threat, he is neither.

[quote name='akiliMVP' date='22 February 2010 - 11:33 AM' timestamp='1266856384' post='864718']
You don't draft a receiver for their first season. You draft them for what they do in year 2 or 3. We are not going to draft a tight end in round 1. Not in this offense. Kyle Wilson is far from the best player available. Need plays a part in BPA. A nickel CB is not a round 1 need AT ALL. Ignoring adding a talented receiver because they may not be great year 1 is pretty dumb. Also Gilyard is exactly like all the receivers we already have. We need a big guy or deep threat, he is neither.
[/quote]

If you accept that a rookie WR is unlikely to make an impact, then why did you slam TO's impact?

Alot of what I see has Wilson in the 40 range so it's a reach at this point, but they haven't had the combine or school work outs either a player can move.

Bengals drafted a Nickel CB in round one with two recent pro bowlers on the roster and that player was ranked in the 30s the last time they won the division. Both Cbs are approaching the end of their rookie deals.

How did it ignore WR, the mock draft has one in the 2nd round? I still don't follow your logic on this. TO doesn't help. Yet Wr needs help, yet WR isn't likely to help in 2010 and a nickel CB (that plays alot anyway) is a dumb idea and then adding a 2nd round WR isn't adding youth????? You seem crabby.

[quote name='bengalsfan850' date='22 February 2010 - 08:32 PM' timestamp='1266888746' post='864806']
i fail to see jones beating out cosby considering the value cosby brings as a return man
[/quote]

Except for the fact that BOTH Wilson & Gilyard would be better in the return game than Cosby.

[quote name='sois' date='21 February 2010 - 01:32 AM' timestamp='1266733929' post='864581']
It's not like a rookie WR is going to do anything next season anyway.
[/quote]

Yeah, really, who would want any of these rookie WRs?
[u]
2009[/u]
Austin Collie......60 rec...11.3 avg...7 td
Percy Harvin.......60 rec...13.2 avg...6 td
Jeremy Maclin.....56 rec...13.8 avg...4 td

[u]2008[/u]
Eddie Royal.........91 rec...10.8 avg...5 td
DeSean Jackson....62 rec...14.7 avg...2 td

[u]2007[/u]
Dwayne Bowe.......70 rec...14.2 avg...5 td
Calvin Johnson....48 rec...15.8 avg...4 td

[u]2006[/u]
Marquise Colston..70 rec...14.8 avg...8 td
Santonio Holmes...49 rec...16.8 avg...2 td

[u]2004[/u]
Michael Clayton...80 rec...14.9 avg...7 td
Larry Fitzgerald....58 rec...13.4 avg...8 td
Roy Williams......54 rec...15.1 avg...8 td
Lee Evans...........48 rec...17.6 avg...9 td

[u]2003[/u]
Anquan Boldin....101 rec...13.6 avg...8 td
Andre Johnson.....66 rec...14.8 avg...4 td

[quote name='fredtoast' date='23 February 2010 - 02:00 PM' timestamp='1266951625' post='864929']
Yeah, really, who would want any of these rookie WRs?
[u]
2009[/u]
Austin Collie......60 rec...11.3 avg...7 td
Percy Harvin.......60 rec...13.2 avg...6 td
Jeremy Maclin.....56 rec...13.8 avg...4 td

[u]2008[/u]
Eddie Royal.........91 rec...10.8 avg...5 td
DeSean Jackson....62 rec...14.7 avg...2 td

[u]2007[/u]
Dwayne Bowe.......70 rec...14.2 avg...5 td
Calvin Johnson....48 rec...15.8 avg...4 td

[u]2006[/u]
Marquise Colston..70 rec...14.8 avg...8 td
Santonio Holmes...49 rec...16.8 avg...2 td

[u]2004[/u]
Michael Clayton...80 rec...14.9 avg...7 td
Larry Fitzgerald....58 rec...13.4 avg...8 td
Roy Williams......54 rec...15.1 avg...8 td
Lee Evans...........48 rec...17.6 avg...9 td

[u]2003[/u]
Anquan Boldin....101 rec...13.6 avg...8 td
Andre Johnson.....66 rec...14.8 avg...4 td
[/quote]

I'm not saying a rookie can't have an impact (I am taking one in the second round after all), I just think the value in this year's draft is not in the first round. In my opinion, the quicker, slot-type receivers tend to make a more immediate impact and that is why Gilyard in the second round makes more sense in my mind. If there was another receiver that I thought had a first round grade other than Bryant, I would consider it, but I don't think that's the case this year. This draft is similar to the one from 2008 where the value at the position was later in the draft (Jackson -2nd round pick & Royal 3rd round pick)

Archived