What are some of the best/cool/awesome smartphone apps available?

i dont personally like all kinds of apps, which is why i keep getting blackberry's, most apps i find amusing for 5 minutes then just take up space...

best bet tho is to look at the most popular or most downloaded, etc in the droid market...

i think im getting old...

I've got a Droid as well.

Here's a couple forums for Droid apps that I find helpful in learning about existing and new apps.

[url="http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-applications/"]http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-applications/[/url]

[url="http://androidforums.com/android-applications/"]http://androidforums.com/android-applications/[/url]

I just got a Droid last week as well. Here's what I've found that are worthwhile so far, all free (except one). I marked the ones I highly recommend with a *:

*DockRunner - fakes the phone into thinking it's in the multimedia dock. Perfect for a bedside alarm clock/radio.
*Pandora - If you don't know Pandora yet, where the hell have you been?
Flixter - Movie reviews and times, contains content from RottenTomatoes.com, my favorite movie review site.
gStrings - Guitar Tuner
TV.com - streams TV shows to your phone, run by CBS.
*Google Voice - get it, if for no other reason than it allows texting to and from your GV number for free. No more $5/month fee.
Adobe Reader - for viewing pdfs (duh)
Mint.com - bank account tracking, need to set up account at the website. Now owned by Intuit, makers of Quicken.
Astrid - to do list
Gmote - haven't tried it yet, but supposed to be able to control your PC media center from your phone like a remote control.
PdaNet - tether your PC without rooting your phone
*ASTRO - file manager (must have)
*Advanced Task Killer - Kills apps running in the background (another must have). Helps save battery power, keeps things running efficiently when used properly.
Death Star clock - It's a clock that looks like the Death Star. Do I have to explain any further?
Battery Widget - Clearer display of your remaining battery life.
Power Control - nice widget that allows easy access for turning on/off bluetooth, wifi, GPS, syncing, and screen brightness. Helps save battery power if you turn things off you don't need all the time.
DinoDyno - uses the accelerometer to simulate a dynomometer to measure your car's performance.
Bubble - a bubble level
Talk to Me - Translator with voice recognition. Speak a phrase, it translates and speaks it back to you in the new language.
*Gmail Unread Count - Widget that shows number of unread messages
Ringtone Shuffler ($2.99) - my wife uses it and it seems pretty cool. Changes your ringtone on each call
*Barcode Reader - reads barcodes and links to Google Shopper.
ShopSavvy - another barcode/shopping app that my wife swears by. Claims the barcode reader is better. I'm not sure.
Race Ace - uses GPS to keep track of your lap times, among other things. Great if you race autocross.
3banana - note taking app. you can link photos and other things to your notes.
Phone - it comes with your Droid and allows you to make phone calls!

Now the fun stuff:
Flight Director or AirTraffic Control - both very similar but slightly different, highly addictive. My current addiction.
Abduction - bouncing cows!
Toss It - toss papers in trash can. Mildly amusing.
Winds of Steel - WWII air combat. Paid version available, too.

Let us know what cool stuff you find, too!

[img]http://www.droidforums.net/forum/images/smilies/dancingDroid.gif[/img]

^^^ Many of what he said, plus these ...

NFL Mobile, of course, if you have a VZW Droid.

Games:
IMobster, and if you get it, I need your code, so you can be in my Mafia.
The Elements, stupid fun, but hella neat.
Mystique games.
Tower Raiders
Laser Reflections

Apps:
WeatherBug
Google Sky
Live Scores (for keeping up on sports scores)
Rhapsody (if you have an account with them already)
3D Level (I have actually used this in real life situations)
Color Note (like little sticky notes in your phone)
Movies (find what's playing where and when, also shows latest on DVD)
PhoneFlicks (if you have a netflix subscription)
Car Locator

• 1 month later...
[quote name='steggyD' date='19 July 2010 - 12:47 PM' timestamp='1279558055' post='897634']
Superfan, from DirecTV, is now in the android library. Supposedly, all Superfan subscribers get all the Sunday Ticket games streamed through the phone. Can't wait to try this out!!!
[/quote]

sweeeeet

[quote name='GoBengals' date='19 July 2010 - 07:39 PM' timestamp='1279582795' post='897718']
and youll actually get a decent picture on your 4G phone.
[/quote]

once 4G is implemented in DC

btw, I got a question, today I noticed that I was getting a back and forth flicker between the 3G and 4G icons.

likely testing the 4G or what is going on with that?

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='19 July 2010 - 08:18 PM' timestamp='1279592316' post='897767']
once 4G is implemented in DC

btw, I got a question, today I noticed that I was getting a back and forth flicker between the 3G and 4G icons.

likely testing the 4G or what is going on with that?
[/quote]

exactly, its been going on in denver too, the 4g will be in and out. there are a few square blocks in denver that the 4g actually works fully on, i expect october launch here.. DC is a higher priority market, so september / ctober is likely.. and thatll be the prime market, the sub dc markets will fill in slowly but consistently after..

youll probably see another firmweare/software update for the EVO in the next 2-3 weeks.. bug fixes, mostly with the moble hotspot and certain types of apps causing power cycling, etc..

best advice is keep your apps in check.. 30-ish isa safe number.. had a guy with over 220 apps on his evo today, wondering why it was running slow and crashing...

and it was dumb stuff, like al bundy sound boards, drug apps, etc.. i opened the app killer, realized it was useless, downloaded the free advnaced task killer.. and over 75 of the apps constantly run in the background..

use the advanced taks killer, set the auto kill to aggressive. and whitelist your favs and youll be fine pretty much..

once they approve android 2.2 that device will get even sweeter...

but back to the point, if your flickering between 3g/4g. youll probably be in the initial launch.. sounds like both networks are running but the 4g keeps kicking you out...probably not doing great things for your battery life in the meantime..

Yeah I'm getting 4g at work about 15 min from dc and 3 at home 30 min from.

This phone is cool with its volume control I can turn volume up a.d down based on functions like multimedia vs ringer rather than overall volume

Oh ant the boards wireless skin is niiiice (though if you have time, maybe make it black and orange as opposed to the blue?)

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='21 July 2010 - 10:59 AM' timestamp='1279731550' post='898097']
Yeah I'm getting 4g at work about 15 min from dc and 3 at home 30 min from.

This phone is cool with its volume control I can turn volume up a.d down based on functions like multimedia vs ringer rather than overall volume

Oh ant the boards wireless skin is niiiice (though if you have time, maybe make it black and orange as opposed to the blue?)
[/quote]

yea, the newer version has more features, but they claim, a soon to be released, that supposedly grabs your CSS from the main skin and dubs it to the mobile one, just not all iamges, but color scheme does.. so ill probably wait on that for a while before devoting any time to it myself...

[quote name='GoBengals' date='21 July 2010 - 05:22 PM' timestamp='1279747378' post='898163']
yea, the newer version has more features, but they claim, a soon to be released, that supposedly grabs your CSS from the main skin and dubs it to the mobile one, just not all iamges, but color scheme does.. so ill probably wait on that for a while before devoting any time to it myself...
[/quote]

cool cool

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='23 July 2010 - 01:21 PM' timestamp='1279905680' post='898595']
So I read that froyo will allow tethering through the OS does anyone know when it should be available to the evo's? If true I will just wait on it rather than go with PdaNet.
[/quote]
Nobody knows for sure. It's likely to be a few months. PdaNet is probably your best bet until then. You can always uninstall it after the Froyo update.

[quote name='CatScratchFever' date='23 July 2010 - 10:26 PM' timestamp='1279938395' post='898699']
Nobody knows for sure. It's likely to be a few months. PdaNet is probably your best bet until then. You can always uninstall it after the Froyo update.
[/quote]

30 bucks or free? it's not hugely pressing that i cant afford to wait for now, if it isnt free ill pay the 30

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='23 July 2010 - 11:22 PM' timestamp='1279941732' post='898714']
30 bucks or free? it's not hugely pressing that i cant afford to wait for now, if it isnt free ill pay the 30
[/quote]
The free version is plenty good. That's what I use. I didn't even know they had a pay version.

You might also try EasyTether. I've heard it's, well, easier. But I haven't tried it.

The free version of PDANet will get you everything up to, uhh, https servers, I think. I forget, but there was some kind of limitation. And I only paid $15 for the full version of PDANet. It's worth it.

[quote name='steggyD' date='19 July 2010 - 12:47 PM' timestamp='1279558055' post='897634']
Superfan, from DirecTV, is now in the android library. Supposedly, all Superfan subscribers get all the Sunday Ticket games streamed through the phone. Can't wait to try this out!!!
[/quote]
Jizz.

Archived