TV Internet question

Im planning on buying a new tv soon. Planning on going with an LCD unless someone has a good reason not to. My main question is I want one that has internet connectivity so I can get Netflix, Pandora, Facebook, etc is it really worth it? It sounds really cool but when technology moves on do you know if they will update the firmware on the tv to accept new features?

Looking at somewhere around a 40" tv. Got any recommendations? Looking at LG and Samsung right now.

why not go LED? aside from cost of course, led is more energy efficient, brighter picture, lighter, easier to move/hang/mount, etc..

go INTO a best buy online their prices are more expensive it seems for some reason.. the 46" led i just bought was $1699 online.. it was $1299 in store, and had a $1199 floor model..

i have 2 LCD and 1 LED.. cant wait to get rid of my LCD's.. they put off a buncha heat and are big and heavy...

amazon.com has great samsung LED prices as well...

[quote name='soundstreamer' date='24 May 2010 - 10:47 PM' timestamp='1274755655' post='889891']
Im planning on buying a new tv soon. Planning on going with an LCD unless someone has a good reason not to. My main question is I want one that has internet connectivity so I can get Netflix, Pandora, Facebook, etc is it really worth it? It sounds really cool but when technology moves on do you know if they will update the firmware on the tv to accept new features?

Looking at somewhere around a 40" tv. Got any recommendations? Looking at LG and Samsung right now.
[/quote]
LED is the way to go if you have the extra money, the picture quality is better but you pay more for it. Extra money = LED, less money = LCD.

As for the web connectivity I'm not sure what the price difference is on a tv with and without it but blu-ray players connect and also play movies.
If it was me I would grab a tv without web and grab a blu-ray player that connects. Simple reason that the blu-ray plays movies where the tv does not.

Don't know if you're a make your movies at home kinda guy, but if you are I recommend getting the LG bd390 since it supports MKV format, which the large majority or blu-ray rips are, and streams netflix as well.

ETA: NEVER EVER EVER EVER buy HDMI cables from places like best buy. They are probably the biggest rip off in the history of home electronics. Hit up Amazon and get one for around $3. I recently bought 2 from Amazon for 5.10 total for both.

Price is the main reason I am looking at a LCD but if I can find a LED for $1299 I will probably do it. Go what is the refresh rate on the LED you got 120hz or 240hz? Do you know how big of a difference that makes in picture quality? I was at best buy the other day but was really my first time looking so I need to go back. Plus I have a friend at another retail store that will price match whatever price I can find.

I will have to check out the blu-ray players that have internet connection. I havent looked at the players much yet. BengalRep I really like that player and I do make some of my own movies. Thats nice to know about the MKV format I will have to keep an eye about that.

I already know not to buy cables at the big box stores. I worked at Radio Shack many years ago and always laughed at the markup on them.

[quote name='soundstreamer' date='25 May 2010 - 06:08 PM' timestamp='1274832523' post='890061']
Price is the main reason I am looking at a LCD but if I can find a LED for $1299 I will probably do it. Go what is the refresh rate on the LED you got 120hz or 240hz? Do you know how big of a difference that makes in picture quality? I was at best buy the other day but was really my first time looking so I need to go back. Plus I have a friend at another retail store that will price match whatever price I can find.

I will have to check out the blu-ray players that have internet connection. I havent looked at the players much yet. BengalRep I really like that player and I do make some of my own movies. Thats nice to know about the MKV format I will have to keep an eye about that.

I already know not to buy cables at the big box stores. I worked at Radio Shack many years ago and always laughed at the markup on them.
[/quote]

mine is 120, none of my HD channels are higher than 60, so blu ray(or video games?) is the only potential to go over 120, and i have doubts that I would notice a difference...

also, if you go to the post office and tell them you need an address change packet, you get a 10% off at best buy coupon (wont work on clearence tho) in case you buy from there..

with the in store deals it was the cheapest place by far.. i was shocked.. i shopped for 4 weeks honestly..

the biggest difference youll notice is the brightness, which makes it look more crisp and clear, the LED's are SOO much brighter the picture is just great..

i only wanted a LED so i didnt have to anchor huge bolts into my brand new house, i didnt think i would notice a picture difference... but it was shockingly better..

and honestly, it sounds dumb, but the price of 3-4 LED's was WAAAY cheaper in store than online at besy buy... still are.. i am going to hit up best buy again tomorrow looking for a 32"-40" for our master bedroom... and a 32" for our movie room(kids movie room/Wii room)

everytime i see my LCD i dislike it more and more, as silly as it sounds..

LED is already a few year old technology.. the kinks are worked out.. and the prices are dropping like mad especially since samsung launched the 9000 series thats like 1/4" thick (shits amazing) but its $5,999 for a 46"

may also want to make friends with a best buy employee.. a friend got a badass $250 blu ray with wifi/netflix, etc for $85 from a hookup there..

another note on the TV web/media...

i havent bothered on mine since my xbox and blu ray do netflix, but my sisters tv is SLOW AS FUCK with media streaming.. the menus takes lik15 seconds to respond.. and hers is a level up from mine...

id go blu ray..

and mine also plays movies from a thumb drive on the usb in front.. mkv (some no sound tho) and all normal formats.. i THINK its a 5300 or 6400 series samsung blu ray..

i downloaded entire seasons of dexter and watched from the drive..

just my experiences thus far...

ill post any deals i see at my local best buy, probably similar near you..

[quote name='GoBengals' date='25 May 2010 - 11:36 PM' timestamp='1274841382' post='890107']
mine is 120, none of my HD channels are higher than 60, so blu ray(or video games?) is the only potential to go over 120, and i have doubts that I would notice a difference...

also, if you go to the post office and tell them you need an address change packet, you get a 10% off at best buy coupon (wont work on clearence tho) in case you buy from there..

with the in store deals it was the cheapest place by far.. i was shocked.. i shopped for 4 weeks honestly..

the biggest difference youll notice is the brightness, which makes it look more crisp and clear, the LED's are SOO much brighter the picture is just great..

i only wanted a LED so i didnt have to anchor huge bolts into my brand new house, i didnt think i would notice a picture difference... but it was shockingly better..

and honestly, it sounds dumb, but the price of 3-4 LED's was WAAAY cheaper in store than online at besy buy... still are.. i am going to hit up best buy again tomorrow looking for a 32"-40" for our master bedroom... and a 32" for our movie room(kids movie room/Wii room)

everytime i see my LCD i dislike it more and more, as silly as it sounds..

LED is already a few year old technology.. the kinks are worked out.. and the prices are dropping like mad especially since samsung launched the 9000 series thats like 1/4" thick (shits amazing) but its $5,999 for a 46"

may also want to make friends with a best buy employee.. a friend got a badass $250 blu ray with wifi/netflix, etc for $85 from a hookup there..

another note on the TV web/media...

i havent bothered on mine since my xbox and blu ray do netflix, but my sisters tv is SLOW AS FUCK with media streaming.. the menus takes lik15 seconds to respond.. and hers is a level up from mine...

id go blu ray..

and mine also plays movies from a thumb drive on the usb in front.. mkv (some no sound tho) and all normal formats.. i THINK its a 5300 or 6400 series samsung blu ray..

i downloaded entire seasons of dexter and watched from the drive..

just my experiences thus far...

ill post any deals i see at my local best buy, probably similar near you..
[/quote]

Wow thanks for all the info Go! You have convinced me to go with LED if I can find a good deal.

I need to do some more shopping around to figure out what I want. Still might get a tv with netflix if it works out since I dont have a blu-ray yet.

damn nice deal will have to check it out tomorrow.

[quote name='soundstreamer' date='26 May 2010 - 09:38 PM' timestamp='1274931517' post='890308']
Wow thanks for all the info Go! You have convinced me to go with LED if I can find a good deal.

I need to do some more shopping around to figure out what I want. Still might get a tv with netflix if it works out since I dont have a blu-ray yet.

damn nice deal will have to check it out tomorrow.
[/quote]

looks like that model in particular does have netflix, but youll need a wired connection to it, orbuy the wireless adapter i think its $80 if it exists..

good luck.

Go to a store, whether it is Best Buy or whomever, that has a setup with an LCD, LED, and Plasma sets so you can actually watch the same video on all three screens...

Get a look at actual sporting events on the TV, scrolling text, etc. and make a decision on which you like the best.

Because every time I've shopped for a flat panel (LED had JUST been released and crazy expensive) the Plasma was nicer than the LCD... particularly when you look at text on the screen. The refresh rate on LCD is quite a bit less so you have a lot of ghosting... especially in fast paced action / sporting events.

just my .02. and, I'm able to pull Netflix, etc. through my Blu-Ray player so that is how we do that. It stores them on it.

Moral of the story - do your research online, but go into a store and see the same video on all three sets... then balance your like list against your price point.

Think I have found the tv I am going to buy. What do you think?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+46%22+Class+/+1080p+/+120Hz/+LED-LCD+HDTV/9784408.p?id=1218173775165&skuId=9784408

Best buy has it for $1399. Going to see if my friend at the other store can price match it for me.

What do you think about doing the tv calibration? They want $300 at best buy. They had a display up with and without calibration and it was a pretty drastic difference. But they of course could easily make the one without look worse on purpose.

[quote name='soundstreamer' date='29 May 2010 - 06:04 PM' timestamp='1275177856' post='890764']
Think I have found the tv I am going to buy. What do you think?

[url="http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+46%22+Class+/+1080p+/+120Hz/+LED-LCD+HDTV/9784408.p?id=1218173775165&skuId=9784408"]http://www.bestbuy.c...5&skuId=9784408[/url]

Best buy has it for $1399. Going to see if my friend at the other store can price match it for me.

What do you think about doing the tv calibration? They want $300 at best buy. They had a display up with and without calibration and it was a pretty drastic difference. But they of course could easily make the one without look worse on purpose.
[/quote]

uhm... i have never heard of calibration, and mine looks fucking unreal fantastic...

it seems they just adjust the color/braightness etc after googling it...

like any other tv ever.... you can just go into settings and do it yourself..

if you pay for the calibration, be sure to pick up a $90 6 foot hdmi cable, too :Harassment_emoticon:

:whistle:

so skip the calibration.. and nice tv...youll be very happy with it!

[quote name='GoBengals' date='29 May 2010 - 10:43 PM' timestamp='1275183836' post='890769']
uhm... i have never heard of calibration, and mine looks fucking unreal fantastic...

it seems they just adjust the color/braightness etc after googling it...

like any other tv ever.... you can just go into settings and do it yourself..

if you pay for the calibration, be sure to pick up a $90 6 foot hdmi cable, too :Harassment_emoticon:

:whistle:

so skip the calibration.. and nice tv...youll be very happy with it!
[/quote]

Figured so about the calibration shit. Any ideas about a good stand to hold my surround sound equipment and additional stuff?

Monster Cable is the best shit around the shielding prevents any interference even from Gremlins.

[quote name='soundstreamer' date='29 May 2010 - 09:24 PM' timestamp='1275189870' post='890777']
Figured so about the calibration shit. Any ideas about a good stand to hold my surround sound equipment and additional stuff?
[b]
Monster Cable is the best shit around the shielding prevents any interference even from Gremlins.[/b]
[/quote]

i laughed out loud in the middle of watching law and order with wife over that one..

as for stand.. i dunno, i went with book cases so no wires are seen anywhere.. the generic samsung mount on amazon is great, just use toggle bolts instead of the cheap plastic anchor they supply.

my setup:

Generic samsung slim mount: $40 delivered
new recessed plug in wall tapped off lower one so its not seen: $17 counting wire
15' FLAT HDMI cables from monoprice - $7/ea fed into wall to basement and up into book case from baseboard

we love it!

they do make wall mounted shelves with a hollow basepole thing to hide wires, so it looked like its just a flat pole and two floating shelves.... saw a cheap one at target, im sure many others make them too..

here is the final product...

[attachment=718:tv2.jpg]

Thanks for the monoprice site great prices need to order from them.

I might buy the tv tomorrow just depends when I get done golfing.

Go, do you not have a surround sound system with your setup? Its a shame to have that nice tv and using the internal speakers. My receiver is pretty old but my 5.1 still sounds amazing. You really need it to complete your room.

[quote name='soundstreamer' date='30 May 2010 - 09:10 PM' timestamp='1275275418' post='890862']
Thanks for the monoprice site great prices need to order from them.

I might buy the tv tomorrow just depends when I get done golfing.

Go, do you not have a surround sound system with your setup? Its a shame to have that nice tv and using the internal speakers. My receiver is pretty old but my 5.1 still sounds amazing. You really need it to complete your room.
[/quote]

yea, turns out they want money for that kinda stuff these days.... and i dont have any....

i have been eyein some simple 5.1 systems, as itll be super easy to put the two front speakers on the bookcases, and the rear ones under the baseboard and behind my chair and couch, and sub next to book case..

a new samsung is coming out with a blu ray that a new version of what i have, so ill probably grab it its like $599, and i can hand-medown my other two blu rays to other rooms..

but im probably 4-5months away from it... the sound from the led tv speakers is lame with other background noise,

so yea.. im dying to get one.. o HAD an oooooold one which i pitched when i moved, so im waiting for some cash to do the upgrade to surround sound..

Read this before buying any new TV:

[url="http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/display_myths_shattered"]http://www.maximumpc...myths_shattered[/url]

nice article, i was wondering about the ridiculous contract ratio numbers, knew they were fluffed some sort of way...

but it doesnt really change my buying expectations, basically just points out all of the fluff stats most post..

[quote name='CatScratchFever' date='31 May 2010 - 06:57 AM' timestamp='1275303434' post='890881']
Read this before buying any new TV:

[url="http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/display_myths_shattered"]http://www.maximumpc...myths_shattered[/url]

nice article, i was wondering about the ridiculous contract ratio numbers, knew they were fluffed some sort of way...

but it doesnt really change my buying expectations, basically just points out all of the fluff stats most post..
[/quote]

which goes back to my original post. Go to a store that has different technologies set up side by side with the same video and pick out the one that has the picture quality you like best balancing against price.

And, echoing what Go said regarding the HDMI cables... dude, don't buy that stuff from them. It is nothing but profit margin. You can get the same shit for like $15-20, tops online. Calibration? Extended Warranties?... all nothing but profit margin.

I bought my new tv! Got a 46" Toshiba http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/dvd/product.asp?model=46SV670U. Got a good deal on it and I cant be happier with it from my limited use of it. From standard DVD's it has really good black levels. Since Comcast blows and doesnt have a box with HDMI output(WTF is up with that) I ordered cables from monoprice for component input. I dont have HD yet and refuse to pay the prices in big box stores. Also ordered along with it a DVI to HDMI to hook my PC up to it to mess around with.

cool, i love my other two toshiba LCD's, but an being a LED snob about their thickness... i like the menu and screen stretch options better on the toshibas...

as long as you love it, thats all that matters... enjoy!

PS: im thinking i have no reason NOT to buy a mac mini and hook it up via HDMi to my led, i have an extra hdmi cable fed through the wall "just in case".. and keep the mac mini on the book case for torrent downloads and such.. and watch movies right from it..your dvi hookup reminded me of this..

[quote name='soundstreamer' date='02 June 2010 - 10:51 PM' timestamp='1275533475' post='891321']
I bought my new tv! Got a 46" Toshiba http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/dvd/product.asp?model=46SV670U. Got a good deal on it and I cant be happier with it from my limited use of it. From standard DVD's it has really good black levels. Since Comcast blows and doesnt have a box with HDMI output(WTF is up with that) I ordered cables from monoprice for component input. I dont have HD yet and refuse to pay the prices in big box stores. Also ordered along with it a DVI to HDMI to hook my PC up to it to mess around with.
[/quote]

Sweet... as long as you got what you wanted - that is all that matters...

Comcast doesn't have HD and receivers with HDMI outputs in your area??? I have Comcast in Knoxville and ordered the HD receiver through them for my flat panel and it has HDMI outputs...

www.avsforums.com will have most calibration settings for new TV's.

www.slickdeals.net will have the best deals available for TV's.

I went from a 4 year old plasma to a new 120Hz Samsung LCD and I love it...

and Blu-ray is totally worth it...

[quote name='BengalsOwn' date='04 June 2010 - 01:26 AM' timestamp='1275629202' post='891535']
www.avsforums.com will have most calibration settings for new TV's.

www.slickdeals.net will have the best deals available for TV's.

I went from a 4 year old plasma to a new 120Hz Samsung LCD and I love it...

[b]and Blu-ray is totally worth it...[/b]
[/quote]

No doubt about it...

feels like you're "in" the movie... especially when you have a sweet ass surround system...

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' date='03 June 2010 - 01:39 PM' timestamp='1275583144' post='891397']
Sweet... as long as you got what you wanted - that is all that matters...

Comcast doesn't have HD and receivers with HDMI outputs in your area??? I have Comcast in Knoxville and ordered the HD receiver through them for my flat panel and it has HDMI outputs...
[/quote]

Cant be happier so far with my LED. Plus it has 240hz for the price I paid im very happy. I dont know whats up with Comcast here. I returned the original box because the DVR didnt work and asked for one with HDMI and they said they didnt have one.

I just got the HD hooked up this evening. Got my cables from monoprice and great quality for a great price. Got component video, DVI to HDMI, and toslink cables with shipping for about $23.

Own I check out AVS some but will have to look closer for the settings for my tv. Much appreciated.

Archived