Chick picks Michael Johnson as his 2010 Breakout Player

[url="http://cincinnati.com/blogs/ludwig/2010/06/04/no-challenge-too-big/"][b][size="5"]No challenge too big[/size][/b][/url][b][size="5"]
[/size][/b]Posted by [email="chickludwig@yahoo.com"]cludwig[/email] June 4th, 2010, 8:19 am

[i][b]BENGALS DE MICHAEL JOHNSON[/b][/i]

[i][b]IS MY 2010 'BREAKOUT' PLAYER[/b][/i]

The NFL is a sport that never sleeps and spring is the best time for digging, planting, cultivating, experimenting and tweaking.

That's what the Cincinnati Bengals are doing with second-year defender Michael Johnson.

They're sowing seeds, hoping to reap a harvest as the versatile Johnson expands his game.

Even though his natural position is defensive end, this long, lean, pass-rushing machine is getting repetitions at outside linebacker.

And come this fall, you'll likely see a lot of uniform 93 — rushing off the edge from either a two-point or four-point stance, even swinging inside to defensive tackle in the third-down "nickel" and "dime" packages because of his ability to swat passes with his massive wing span.

"Typing Away With Chick Ludwig" proudly proclaims Michael Johnson as my 2010 "Breakout Player."

I hit a home run a year ago when I picked cornerback Leon Hall, and I'm hoping to connect again — and go [i]d-e-e-p[/i] — with my selection of Johnson.

"I feel great," Johnson told me in Thursday's open locker room after OTA practice. "I've really been enjoying this spring. I'm ready to make things happen. I'm excited about what is to come."

There are plenty of other "Breakout" candidates such as wide receivers Andre Caldwell and Jerome Simpson, tailback Bernard Scott, tight end Chase Coffman, weakside linebacker Keith Rivers and offensive tackle Andre Smith.

(Click the link below for the entire article)

[url="http://cincinnati.com/blogs/ludwig/2010/06/04/no-challenge-too-big/"]http://cincinnati.com/blogs/ludwig/2010/06/04/no-challenge-too-big/[/url]

[quote name='Quaker' date='05 June 2010 - 04:11 AM' timestamp='1275725491' post='891744']
It's be nice for [i]anyone[/i] to have a breakout season pass-rush wise seeming as how the Bengals have been generally very poor in that area.
[/quote]

I completely agree. Pass rushing is still our defensive bugaboo.

[quote name='Mu Shu' date='05 June 2010 - 01:12 PM' timestamp='1275757947' post='891766']
On my Madden 2010, I used a 3-4 defense that had a LB core of Rivers, Jones, Maualuga, Johnson. Despite having a 57 rating for a OLB, Johnson led the team with 15 sacks.
[/quote]

Madden 2010 is probably why the Bengal coaches are looking at putting Johnson at LB.

:pooh_go:

[quote name='Mu Shu' date='05 June 2010 - 01:12 PM' timestamp='1275757947' post='891766']
On my Madden 2010, I used a 3-4 defense that had a LB core of Rivers, Jones, Maualuga, Johnson. Despite having a 57 rating for a OLB, Johnson led the team with 15 sacks.
[/quote]

Uhhhh... Yeah

OK

Archived