Biggest Needs seem to be OL, S, LB

Looking at the roster again I really feel that these 3 needs are still clearly the biggest 3 needs with the secondary needs of DE and WR. I am not real sure how we can reasonably take a DE or WR with our first pick if an OL, SLB or S grades up that high. The only argument that I find compelling is that looking at where we draft it is unlikely that an OL, SLB or S will grade up to us. We have capable starters or Up and comers at both WR and DE.
WR: Ocho, Owens, Shipley
DE: Geathers, Fanene, Johnson, Dunlap

Are there questions? Of course, but these are not the gaping holes we have at SLB (where we will have no one), OL (Where we have gaping holeS) and S (where we have no real FS). At DE and WR we might have duct tape but its better then an open hole.

In another post I outlined where 5 different mockers have outlined the top ten draft picks.

Walter GBN Rang-CBS Reuter-CBS Draft Countdown
1 QB Luck QB Luck QB Luck QB Luck QB Luck
2 CB Peterson QB Locker CB Peterson DE Quinn CB Peterson
3 WR Green WR Green CB Amukamara CB Peterson QB Locker
4 CB Amukamara CB Peterson DE Bowers CB Amukamara DT Dareus
5 DT Dareus QB Mallett WR Green WR Green QB Mallett
6 DE Quinn DE Clayborn DT Dareus DT Dareus WR Green
7 DE Bowers WR Jones DE Heyward DT Fairley CB Amukamara
8 QB Mallett QB Foles QB Locker QB Mallett DE Quinn
9 DT Fairley DE Quinn DE Quinn DE Clayborn DE Clayborn
10 DE Bailey RB ingram WR Jones WR Jones RB ingram

Not one S, OL or LB. How likely is that to change? I am guessing pretty likely.

Top 10 in recent drafts:
2010 2 OL, 1 S, 1 LB
2009 3 OL, 1 LB
2008 1 OL, 3 LB
2007 2 OL, 1 S
2006 1 OL, 2 S, 2 LB

Most likely risers? Ignoring your entire desire to say we need to take a WR or DE who would they be? Who are the playmakers and athletes who could rise up? CBS Sports has in their top 20 for 2011 and 2012 (Basically Srs and Jrs). Probably not the best place to start but atleast its a place to start.
SRS
OL
1. T Derek Sherrod-Mississippi State
2. T DeMarcus Love-Arkansas
3. T Nate Solder-Colorado
4. T Anthony Costanzo-BC
5. T Gabe Carimi-Wisconsin
S
1. SS DeAndre McDaniel-Clemson (SS)
2. CB Jimmy Smith-Colorado (At 6-2 205 he has safety size)
LB
1. LB Bruce Carter-NC (I feel like someone said he is more of a WLB, If he is that special could Rivers play MLB or SLB)
2. LB Von Miller-A&M
3. OLB Jeremy Beal-Oklahoma
JRS
OL
1. G Stephen Good-Oklahoma
2. T Tyron Smith-USC
S
1. FS Rahim Moore-UCLA
LB
1. LB Martez Wilson-Illinois
2. LB Akeem Ayers-UCLA

Of those guys Akeem Ayers seems to stand out to me but I trust you guys over my very superficial glance.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1289569937' post='940211']
IMO you kind of alluded to why people are saying DE or WR in the first round. While Safety, OLB, or OL may be our biggest needs (I don't quite agree), there's no prospects at those positions that warrant a top 10 pick.
[/quote]

Thoughts on Ayers?

I don't see the "need for a saftey" as much as some. A moderate pass rush coupled with our CBs and Ndukwe, Crocker, whoever can man the fort.

I do see the need for a Polamalu or a Reed and I wouldn't argue against taking a can't miss prospect like that, but you'd have a hard time convincing me that our D would be more successful with what a top 5 safety (should) bring vs what a top 5 pass rusher (should) bring.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1290279988' post='942903']
Gabe Carimi is the OT I want.
[/quote]

started a new thread about this before I saw yours feel free to respond here or there. I have not watched a ton of him but I get the feeling he is more stable then stud. What I mean he is going to be in the right place and might be a great Rt, Lg etc but might never have the athleticism to be a great LT. Have not seen him much...whats your take?

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1290280656' post='942905']
started a new thread about this before I saw yours feel free to respond here or there. I have not watched a ton of him but I get the feeling he is more stable then stud. What I mean he is going to be in the right place and might be a great Rt, Lg etc but might never have the athleticism to be a great LT. Have not seen him much...whats your take?
[/quote]

I had him in my initial mock 2 weeks or so ago as a 2nd rounder. Have no idea if that's accurate, I could see him as a first rounder too (not where we pick).

In my mock I said make an open competition between him, Whit, and Collins for LT. 2 of the 3 could fill LT and LG.

IMO Carimi is talented enough to be a LT in the NFL. I also think Whit is doing well at LT and doesn't necessarily need to be moved. He and Carimi could be a devastating duo on the left side.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1290279988' post='942903']
Gabe Carimi is the OT I want.
[/quote]

yeah, i'm sitting here watching him, too...with drool all over my keyboard, i might add. there's no fucking way he slides to the second round, like the pipe dream i previously had hoped for. what a monster, especially in the run game. he's moving up with every game and i bet before it's all said and done, he ends up the top LT in the draft. i think he looks better than the costanzo kid, but i've only seen him (costanzo) once this year, so maybe that isn't fair. then again, i'm sure i don't see the same things the scouts see. the only concerns i would have is that wisconsin doesn't throw the ball enough to get an accurate read on just how good he is as a pass blocker. on the rare times when they do throw, he's been moving his feet fast enough to control the edge, then when he gets his hands on the guy the deal is pretty much all over. i've seen five of their games this year and he just continues to impress me more and more. wouldn't he look nice next to whit? who cares who's the guard and who's the tackle, lol.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1290280951' post='942906']
I had him in my initial mock 2 weeks or so ago as a 2nd rounder. Have no idea if that's accurate, I could see him as a first rounder too (not where we pick).

In my mock I said make an open competition between him, Whit, and Collins for LT. 2 of the 3 could fill LT and LG.

IMO Carimi is talented enough to be a LT in the NFL. I also think Whit is doing well at LT and doesn't necessarily need to be moved. He and Carimi could be a devastating duo on the left side.
[/quote]

I really dont trust my own judgment on Whit. I have been saying since he was drafted he should be a RT or LG because his skill set was better for that so I have been biased from the start and probably see more of his bad plays then good. I think he is a capable LT at least.

*My theory is that whenever I hear a guy started out as a TE first and then moved to LT I like him. Always leads me to beleive he has quick feet and will be athletic enough for the position.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1290282802' post='942910']

*My theory is that whenever I hear a guy started out as a TE first and then moved to LT I like him. Always leads me to beleive he has quick feet and will be athletic enough for the position.
[/quote]

I have no idea who you're talking about.

Another guy I plan on watching that Akili recommended is the LT from Iowa.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1290280951' post='942906']

[/quote]

here's what walterfootball has to say about carimi...

Weaknesses:
# Bends at waist too much - not a natural knee bender
# Lacks agility
# Not a smooth athlete - a little stiff
# Poor footwork
# On the ground a lot - gets unbalanced
# Struggles in space
# Lacks knee/ankle flexion
# Hands need work
# Lets linemen get in his pads
# Very raw - relies heavily on size/strength

Summary: Carimi will play in the NFL for some team and start at right tackle. He is by no means a left tackle and I will be shocked if he is drafted in the first round next year. Carimi has size and he is a powerful run blocker, but lacks the athleticism, technique and consistency for him to be even discussed as a first-round talent. I think he is a second- or third-round pick in the 2011 NFL Draft, and I currently have a third-round grade on Carimi.

Player Comparison: Jeremy Trueblood: Trueblood and Carimi both have similar body types and are punishing run blockers. However, Trueblood is just a solid starter at right tackle for Tampa Bay, and I think that is the most we can hope for out of Carimi in

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1290286776' post='942924']
here's what walterfootball has to say about carimi...

Weaknesses:
# Bends at waist too much - not a natural knee bender
# Lacks agility
# Not a smooth athlete - a little stiff
# Poor footwork
# On the ground a lot - gets unbalanced
# Struggles in space
# Lacks knee/ankle flexion
# Hands need work
# Lets linemen get in his pads
# Very raw - relies heavily on size/strength

Summary: Carimi will play in the NFL for some team and start at right tackle. He is by no means a left tackle and I will be shocked if he is drafted in the first round next year. Carimi has size and he is a powerful run blocker, but lacks the athleticism, technique and consistency for him to be even discussed as a first-round talent. I think he is a second- or third-round pick in the 2011 NFL Draft, and I currently have a third-round grade on Carimi.

Player Comparison: Jeremy Trueblood: Trueblood and Carimi both have similar body types and are punishing run blockers. However, Trueblood is just a solid starter at right tackle for Tampa Bay, and I think that is the most we can hope for out of Carimi in
[/quote]

while I use them often to find new names, get measurables, and other random info, I would not trust a damn thing Walterfootball.com has to say with regards to analysis or rankings.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1290283715' post='942920']
I have no idea who you're talking about.

Another guy I plan on watching that Akili recommended is the LT from Iowa.
[/quote]

Seems pretty clear. Guys who move from TE seem to be more athletic. Eric Winston, Joe Staley. etc. Lots of guys start their careers at TE's and then as they bulk up move over.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1290290393' post='942925']
while I use them often to find new names, get measurables, and other random info, I would not trust a damn thing Walterfootball.com has to say with regards to analysis or rankings.
[/quote]

They had a very interesting read about LT Barksdale from LSU who I knew nothing about. Have him listed as a first round talent. Most other places are saying late rounds. What they have makes him sound great.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1290301985' post='942948']
They had a very interesting read about LT Barksdale from LSU who I knew nothing about. Have him listed as a first round talent. Most other places are saying late rounds. What they have makes him sound great.
[/quote]

there's little about their website and operation that is respectable and professional.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1289536697' post='940149']
Looking at the roster again I really feel that these 3 needs are still clearly the biggest 3 needs with the secondary needs of DE and WR. I am not real sure how we can reasonably take a DE or WR with our first pick if an OL, SLB or S grades up that high. The only argument that I find compelling is that looking at where we draft it is unlikely that an OL, SLB or S will grade up to us. We have capable starters or Up and comers at both WR and DE.
WR: Ocho, Owens, Shipley
DE: Geathers, Fanene, Johnson, Dunlap

Are there questions? Of course, but these are not the gaping holes we have at SLB (where we will have no one), OL (Where we have gaping holeS) and S (where we have no real FS). At DE and WR we might have duct tape but its better then an open hole.

In another post I outlined where 5 different mockers have outlined the top ten draft picks.

Walter GBN Rang-CBS Reuter-CBS Draft Countdown
1 QB Luck QB Luck QB Luck QB Luck QB Luck
2 CB Peterson QB Locker CB Peterson DE Quinn CB Peterson
3 WR Green WR Green CB Amukamara CB Peterson QB Locker
4 CB Amukamara CB Peterson DE Bowers CB Amukamara DT Dareus
5 DT Dareus QB Mallett WR Green WR Green QB Mallett
6 DE Quinn DE Clayborn DT Dareus DT Dareus WR Green
7 DE Bowers WR Jones DE Heyward DT Fairley CB Amukamara
8 QB Mallett QB Foles QB Locker QB Mallett DE Quinn
9 DT Fairley DE Quinn DE Quinn DE Clayborn DE Clayborn
10 DE Bailey RB ingram WR Jones WR Jones RB ingram

Not one S, OL or LB. How likely is that to change? I am guessing pretty likely.

Top 10 in recent drafts:
2010 2 OL, 1 S, 1 LB
2009 3 OL, 1 LB
2008 1 OL, 3 LB
2007 2 OL, 1 S
2006 1 OL, 2 S, 2 LB

Most likely risers? Ignoring your entire desire to say we need to take a WR or DE who would they be? Who are the playmakers and athletes who could rise up? CBS Sports has in their top 20 for 2011 and 2012 (Basically Srs and Jrs). Probably not the best place to start but atleast its a place to start.
SRS
OL
1. T Derek Sherrod-Mississippi State
2. T DeMarcus Love-Arkansas
3. T Nate Solder-Colorado
4. T Anthony Costanzo-BC
5. T Gabe Carimi-Wisconsin
S
1. SS DeAndre McDaniel-Clemson (SS)
2. CB Jimmy Smith-Colorado (At 6-2 205 he has safety size)
LB
1. LB Bruce Carter-NC (I feel like someone said he is more of a WLB, If he is that special could Rivers play MLB or SLB)
2. LB Von Miller-A&M
3. OLB Jeremy Beal-Oklahoma
JRS
OL
1. G Stephen Good-Oklahoma
2. T Tyron Smith-USC
S
1. FS Rahim Moore-UCLA
LB
1. LB Martez Wilson-Illinois
2. LB Akeem Ayers-UCLA

Of those guys Akeem Ayers seems to stand out to me but I trust you guys over my very superficial glance.
[/quote]
Stephen Good's been a disappointment so far to me, & 99% of it's been due to his footwork. Substantial issues there, & in fact, he's been supplanted in the starting OL by a beefed up TE in Gabe Ikard. SG is hands down the strongest player on the team though, so if he can get the feet straightened out, he can be a player.

Archived