Prospect of the Week: LG John Moffitt

6'5 323lbs

4 year starter at Wisconsin

All-American

[quote]2010 Midseason: Named first-team All-American by SI.com and third-team All-American and first-team All-Big Ten by Phil Steele ... Preseason: Named second-team All-American by Lindy's, Athlon Sports and Consensus Draft Services ... chosen first-team All-Big Ten by Athlon and Blue Ribbon ... second-team All-Big Ten by Phil Steele ... named to Rotary Lombardi Award Watch List
2009: First-team All-Big Ten (coaches and media) ... preseason second-team All-Big Ten selection by Phil Steele ... Rimington Trophy and Lombardi Award Preseason Watch Lists

2010: Started at left guard in all 11 games this season ... named UW's co-offensive player of the week for the Michigan game ... along with rest of starting offensive line and Bill Nagy, named UW's co-offensive player of the week for the Minnesota game

2009: Earned third letter ... played in 11 games, starting 10 (eight at left guard, two at center) ... started at center against Miami in Champs Sports Bowl on Dec. 29 ... slid over and started at center against Hawaii after Peter Konz went down with an injury ... started at left guard in eight games ... made season debut against Wofford on Sept. 19 after missing first two games of season due to injury[/quote]

Great run blocker, often was a pulling guard at Wisconsin

Also started 14 games for Wisconsin at center before becoming an All-American LG.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8SfDAkdVl4[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IB-4badV0JY[/media]

I know we need help on the offensive line. But unless you are a
Steve Hutchinson type I would never draft a guard before the 4th round.
The best guard in the league right now is Jahri Evans and he was drafted
in the 4th. Leonard Davis considered a great guard was drafted as a tackle
and Brandon Moore was a UFA. These three are considered three of the top
5 at their position. Anyway, Moffitt, in my mind, would be no upgrade to our current
guard situation. To me there's not a guard in the draft that would upgrade what we
currently have.

[quote name='nkywestside' timestamp='1292079060' post='949558']
5 at their position. Anyway, Moffitt, in my mind, would be no upgrade to our current
guard situation. To me there's not a guard in the draft that would upgrade what we
currently have.
[/quote]

I think Pouncey, Cannon, Moffit, and Benjamin Ijalana would all be instant upgrades over the guys we have now, and all would be worth taking before round 4.

[quote name='nkywestside' timestamp='1292079060' post='949558']
currently have.
[/quote]

From a personal standpoint, I prefer offensive tackles than can move inside and can play guard. It gives you versatility and depth.

But I really like Moffitt.

And I'll be surprised if he makes it out of the 2nd round.

We need that pulling guard. That run game with Steinbach and Jeremi Johnson in 05 was lethal. Run behind Bobbie and Wiliie and push two other 270+ guys through the hole. That was with Rudi. If we can retain Cedric and get to running behind Andre and Bobbie again with Pressley and Cedric, I think we can see that 5 man run line again.

I would be down for it. I want would ideally get Pouncey though. Just don't play him at center.

i really like moffitt and think he's going to have a good career. he lumbers a bit, when trying to pull, but he gets there. i don't know if that will limit him LG wise at the next level, but that's something taht can alwasy be worked on. he seems to have the foot speed, just a bit slow getting out of his set, sometimes. but a lot of college players are like that. i really like this guy's thick trunk! he has an NFL base, and it doesn't seem like any of that's wasted. although you will see him make the highlight film "big block", you also see the maturity where he rides off his first man to get to the 2nd level making that second block that really opens up a big play. there's a lot to like with this guy.

this brings about another question:

i feel like benson is all but gone, so we might need a workhorse type back to go along with our scatback bernard scott. i wonder if john clay comes out, and if so, where he'll be drafted? he seems like he'd be a perfect match with scott and a solid pick.

any ideas on this?

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1292096521' post='949585']
I'd be fine with Clay, but I really don't want to use a 1st or 2nd rounder on a RB. Probably not even a 3rd.
[/quote]

oh no!!!!!!!!!!!! that's not what i was thinking at all. let me try to explain better.

with clay having 2 different ankle surgeries, and now the sprained MCL his stock would have to drop due to injury factors. when you take into consideration that he's questionably a product of that system, and is also virtually a one-dimensional back, along with a history of weight issues, you have all the ingredients for a guy dropping. agreed?

of course you counter those concerns with an interest for all the positives he brings to the table...tough, can run 30 times a game, is virtually impossible to stop for a negative yardage gain, good nose for the hole for a north/south type guy, great statistical history.

mix it all up and you have a confusing guy to grade, but one you might be able to steal in the 3rd or 4th round.

he seems like a perfect AFCN running back, and one that could expand carson's career, if he stays.

can you see jim anderson's eyes lighting up, with daydreams of a big power back like ickey woods or pete johnson?

clay once was quoted... "my all time idol is jim brown, that's why i wear his number. i model my game after him and try to play that way". that shit sounds good enough to me!

I'd say Mike Bush would be a definite possibility. I remember reading rumors a season or two back that they were trying to pull a trade off for him.

He can come here, be close to home and be the man in division better suited for running the ball then airing it out. Can't see Oakland shelling out huge money to two running backs.

Archived