Draft day surprise

The draft is always full of surprises and angst even for the teams. What if we offered to trade Carson Palmer to Denver for their first round pick. We could pick up Patrick Peterson and A.J. Green at the #2 and #4 spot.

I'm not done, ...then we could trade Chad for a latter 1st round pick again and pick up a QB.

The idea is to use the angst of the draft to pry away good picks in the first.

Why would Denver give up the 2nd pick of the draft for Palmer?

Does Kyle Orton and Tim Tebow ring a bell?

And we if somehow magically acquired the 2nd pick and didn't use it on a defensive lineman I'm going to be highly HIGHLY upset.

[quote name='Jeb' timestamp='1299679434' post='976018']
The draft is always full of surprises and angst even for the teams. What if we offered to trade Carson Palmer to Denver for their first round pick. We could pick up Patrick Peterson and A.J. Green at the #2 and #4 spot.

I'm not done, ...then we could trade Chad for a latter 1st round pick again and pick up a QB.

The idea is to use the angst of the draft to pry away good picks in the first.
[/quote]

this may be the biggest pipe dream I've ever seen.

[quote name='akiliMVP' timestamp='1299679645' post='976021']
Why would Denver give up the 2nd pick of the draft for Palmer?

Does Kyle Orton and Tim Tebow ring a bell?

And we if somehow magically acquired the 2nd pick and didn't use it on a defensive lineman I'm going to be highly HIGHLY upset.
[/quote]

You've given up on Peko? Don't tell me you're thinking DE because this is a deep draft for DE.

We need a "killer" Safety and we are bare bones at that position right now. Peterson is the best player at CB and Safety coming into this draft. He is superior to any Safety in this draft (tangibles).

As for Denver's offense, ...Orton isn't as good as Palmer and Tebow still isn't ready, ...plus there is the bonus that Denver's team "id" revolves around offense and with the help of Elway's input, ...we could pull off a trade.

[quote name='Jeb' timestamp='1299680322' post='976023']
You've given up on Peko? Don't tell me you're thinking DE because this is a deep draft for DE.

We need a "killer" safety and we are bare bones at that position right now. Peterson is the best player at CB and safety coming into this draft. He is superior to any safety in this draft (tangibles).

As for Denver's offense, ...Orton isn't as good as Palmer and Tebow still isn't ready, ...plus there is the bonus that Denver's "id" revolves around offense and with the help of Elway's input, ...we could pull off a trade.
[/quote]

Denver has already stated they're not listening to any more trade offers for Orton. Fox has named him the starter barring a training camp competition upset by Tebow.

I agree that we need a great player at safety, but the team had better be damn sure Peterson projects there before they pick him. They'd be passing on a lot of dominant talent on the D-line for him. And no offense to Peko, he is a good player, but he is not the dominant inside player that Fairley or Dareus could be. He doesn't command the extra attention that allows the DEs to get at the QB.

[quote name='Orange 'n Black' timestamp='1299680517' post='976025']
Denver has already stated they're not listening to any more trade offers for Orton. Fox has named him the starter barring a training camp competition upset by Tebow.

I agree that we need a great player at safety, but the team had better be damn sure Peterson projects there before they pick him. They'd be passing on a lot of dominant talent on the D-line for him. And no offense to Peko, he is a good player, but he is not the dominant inside player that Fairley or Dareus could be. He doesn't command the extra attention that allows the DEs to get at the QB.
[/quote]

I didn't want to swap for Orton, ...they can keep him.

I still say we shore up safety first then pick the line. The line is deep this year. Paea's not a bad pick and can be had in the 2nd.

[quote name='Jeb' timestamp='1299681227' post='976033']
I didn't want to swap for Orton, ...they can keep him.

I still say we shore up safety first then pick the line. The line is deep this year. Paea's not a bad pick and can be had in the 2nd.
[/quote]

you're still ignoring the part of you scenario where this all is absolutely insane and illogical.

In what fantasy world do you think they'll get a top 2 pick for Carson (not to mention from a team that doesn't need a QB) and a first rounder for Chad?

Hell, they should be happy if they get a 3RD rounder for Chad.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1299681438' post='976035']
you're still ignoring the part of you scenario where this all is absolutely insane and illogical.

In what fantasy world do you think they'll get a top 2 pick for Carson (not to mention from a team that doesn't need a QB) and a first rounder for Chad?

Hell, they should be happy if they get a 3RD rounder for Chad.
[/quote]

That's the beauty of it, ...draft day angst, ...is that player they are about to pick really that dominant or would they like a sure thing.

Also, Elway would like it, ...he'd go for it.

[quote name='Jeb' timestamp='1299681615' post='976037']
That's the beauty of it, ...draft day angst, ...is that player they are about to pick really that dominant or would they like a sure thing.
[/quote]

Even then there is just no way that Palmer is worth #2 overall straight up. Even the most optimistic talking head has him going for a mid-to-late 1st round pick. Not to mention MB would probably rather drink a jug of castor oil than pay two top 5 rookies in the same year.

It's way more likely that a deal with Palmer will involve San Fran, Tennessee, or Minnesota. Of course, that depends on his camp agreeing to play wherever they want to send him. I'd take a 2nd and a 4th from any of those teams, or Palmer straight up for Seattle's #25 overall.

If we have to package more of our picks to move him though, I'm against it. This is a really important draft and we need to amass as many picks as possible.

[quote name='Orange 'n Black' timestamp='1299682071' post='976040']
Even then there is just no way that Palmer is worth #2 overall straight up. Even the most optimistic talking head has him going for a mid-to-late 1st round pick. Not to mention MB would probably rather drink a jug of castor oil than pay two top 5 rookies in the same year.

It's way more likely that a deal with Palmer will involve San Fran, Tennessee, or Minnesota. Of course, that depends on his camp agreeing to play wherever they want to send him. I'd take a 2nd and a 4th from any of those teams, or Palmer straight up for Seattle's #25 overall.

If we have to package more of our picks to move him though, I'm against it. This is a really important draft and we need to amass as many picks as possible.
[/quote]

Don't forget the new rookie wage scale and we save a ton of money trading Carson which allows us to easily sign JJ, Ced, ...etc.

[quote name='Jeb' timestamp='1299682690' post='976045']
I'm convinced Elway would buy in.
[/quote]

why? Why would a team that doesn't need a QB "buy in" to trading for another QB and give up the #2 pick in the draft. Why would a VP who's given no indication of wanting a new QB, let alone Palmer, buy in?

Sell me Jeb.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1299682917' post='976046']
why? Why would a team that doesn't need a QB "buy in" to trading for another QB and give up the #2 pick in the draft. Why would a VP who's given no indication of wanting a new QB, let along Palmer, buy in?

Sell me Jeb.
[/quote]

Elway stated he wants to change that team into a winner. He'll never get there with Orton or Tebow (currently). He needs a QB that is clutch. A QB that can come back and win a game when you are down late in the 4th quarter. A QB that reminds him a little of himself. Orton isn't that quarterback but everybody knows Palmer is when in the no-huddle.

Also, Elway is offensive minded. I guarantee he's not excited about picking defense first this draft.

He's not desperate for a CB, ...he's desperate for a quarterback.

[quote name='Jeb' timestamp='1299683569' post='976049']
Elway stated he wants to change that team into a winner. He'll never get there with Orton or Tebow (currently). He needs a QB that is clutch. A QB that can come back and win a game when you are down late in the 4th quarter. A QB that reminds him a little of himself. Orton isn't that quarterback but everybody knows Palmer is when in the no-huddle.

Also, Elway is offensive minded. I guarantee he's not excited about picking defense first this draft.

[/quote]

and they'd give up the #2 pick, far more than Carson's worth, why?

And while we're at it, what makes you think ANY team would give up a first round pick for Chad?

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1299684083' post='976050']
and they'd give up the #2 pick, far more than Carson's worth, why?

And while we're at it, what makes you think ANY team would give up a first round pick for Chad?
[/quote]

Elway would have to want it that bad, ...we have to sell it to him.

Revis is selling Chad to the Jets as we type. Come on, ...who doesn't think Chad in the big apple is a natural fit? ...and with that blowhard Ryan? It's hard to say who would talk the most smack.

[quote name='Jeb' timestamp='1299683569' post='976049']

[/quote]

Nobody, especially not a good football mind like John Elway, is going to give up a crucial draft pick for a 31-year-old QB with two significant injuries when his team has one solid starting option in the stable and last year's first-round-pick in the mix too. Denver needs that #2 pick. They have huge needs on the D-line in a draft with 3-4 stud top picks available, plus another potential home run in Peterson. There is just no possible way they trade out of #2, and at any rate they are definitely not desperate for a quarterback. If Tebow flames out this season, then I'll buy that argument, but I don't see it. He has that Brady/Manning drive to be great, and that eclipses whatever measurable concerns you can have about him.

[quote name='Jeb' timestamp='1299684426' post='976051']
Elway would have to want it that bad, ...we have to sell it to him.

Revis is selling Chad to the Jets as we type. Come on, ...who doesn't think Chad in the big apple is a natural fit?
[/quote]

I wasn't aware the Jets didn't have 3rd, 4th, or 5th round picks.

I also wasn't aware Revis' opinion meant a damn.

[quote name='Orange 'n Black' timestamp='1299684472' post='976052']
Nobody, especially not a good football mind like John Elway, is going to give up a crucial draft pick for a 31-year-old QB with two significant injuries when his team has one solid starting option in the stable and last year's first-round-pick in the mix too. Denver needs that #2 pick. They have huge needs on the D-line in a draft with 3-4 stud top picks available, plus another potential home run in Peterson. There is just no possible way they trade out of #2, and at any rate they are definitely not desperate for a quarterback. If Tebow flames out this season, then I'll buy that argument, but I don't see it. He has that Brady/Manning drive to be great, and that eclipses whatever measurable concerns you can have about him.
[/quote]

Elway is going to want more of a change and sooner rather than later. Orton is not going to cut it for him. I say he'd be willing to do it.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1299684603' post='976053']
I wasn't aware the Jets didn't have 3rd, 4th, or 5th round picks.

[b]I also wasn't aware Revis' opinion meant a damn.[/b]
[/quote]

Did you pay attention to his last contract talks and the big fight, ...they pay attention.

[quote name='Jeb' timestamp='1299685054' post='976055']
Elway is going to want more of a change and sooner rather than later. Orton is not going to cut it for him. I say he'd be willing to do it.
[/quote]
Orton was better than Palmer last season and is 3 years younger.

The Broncos are not giving up the 2nd pick in the draft for Palmer. Even if they didn't have Orton and last year's 1st round pick Tebow.

Lay the pipe down.

Archived