Mock Draft

Assuming Carson stays

1. [b]DT Nick Fairley[/b] - disrupter in the middle of D
2. [b]OT/OG Marcus Cannon[/b] – underrated OL guy, plug him in at LG
3. [b]SS/FS Quinton Carter[/b] – leadership, scheme versatility, replacement for Roy Williams
4. [b]OLB Mason Foster[/b] – can play all 3 lb spots, good in coverage, SAM backer
5. [b]RB Roy Helu Jr[/b] – fast and tough runner, insurance in case Cedric leaves
6. [b]SS/FS Chris Prosinski[/b] – would provide solid depth to weakest part of team
7. [b]WR Dane Sanzenbacher[/b] – makes plays, tough after catch, best hands in draft
7b. [b]QB Scott Tolzien[/b] – very accurate, played in pro-style offense, ideal backup QB for Bengals

Assuming Carson stays

1. [b]DT Nick Fairley[/b]
2. [b]QB Christian Ponder[/b] – best fit for WCO
3. [b]OG John Moffitt[/b] – ideal LG for the team, fits AFC North style
4. [b]SS Robert Sands[/b] – good against run, can cover, replacement for Roy Williams
5. [b]OLB Jonas Moulton[/b] – can play MLB and SAM, makes plays in coverage
6. [b]SS/FS Chris Prosinski[/b]
7. [b]WR Dane Sanzenbacher[/b]
7b. [b]QB Scott Tolzien[/b]

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1301155513' post='980152']
I think you might be putting too much emphasis on FS/SS though. Reggie Nelson came on last year and Crocker should be healthy and ready to go.
[/quote]
Crocker is broken down man. Even before he got hurt, he was toast all over the field. He is just simply not good enough in run support to be put at the strong safety position. Roy is never healthy. They need a bruiser back there. Have to imagine that will be a possible round 2, certain round three selection. Couple of big bruisers in this draft.

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1301157401' post='980156']
Crocker is broken down man. Even before he got hurt, he was toast all over the field. He is just simply not good enough in run support to be put at the strong safety position. Roy is never healthy. They need a bruiser back there. Have to imagine that will be a possible round 2, certain round three selection. Couple of big bruisers in this draft.
[/quote]I love Crocker back there. I cant recall an instance where it looked like Crocker was solely to blame for a long pass play (not saying he wasn't, just saying it must not have happened too much because I definitely dont remember). I wouldn't be opposed to taking a safety, but I wouldnt take 2 of them. I'd rather dig into the ranks of RBs and try to find our very own Ahmed Bradshaw.

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1301157401' post='980156']
[/quote]

We need a starting SS. I don't trust Roy to stay healthy and Ndukwe is backup material and probably a free agent. There isn't much talent at safety in this draft however so I'd look for a free agent SS. We're probably ok with Nelson at FS. I'd like to see Trent moved there as the backup. Let Crocker and Roy go, add a veteran SS like Whitner or Landry and we'd be set there.

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1301162429' post='980183']
I love Crocker back there. I cant recall an instance where it looked like Crocker was solely to blame for a long pass play (not saying he wasn't, just saying it must not have happened too much because I definitely dont remember). I wouldn't be opposed to taking a safety, but I wouldnt take 2 of them. I'd rather dig into the ranks of RBs and try to find our very own Ahmed Bradshaw.
[/quote]
I can remember 2-3 instances atleast in one game I was watching last year where Crocker was toast. He's adequate in coverage at best. Depth wise the safety position, apart from Nelson imo, is dangerously bad and has it has been the one major weakpsot for the D that opposing teams have been able to exploit consistently. It's no secret the D still has trouble covering good TE's.

I say, the safety depth chart could look like this...

SS
Quentin Carter
Chris Prosinski

FS
Reggie Nelson
Chris Crocker

Which would be a heck of lot better than it has been in recent memory. 3 of those 4 guys (Nelson being the odd one out) can play either spot, which is what ML craves from his safeties. Also, I selected Quentin Carter also because of his leadership qualities. You can never have too many of those guys on D. Also the Bengals coached Carter at the senior bowl.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1301157086' post='980154']
like them both, though while I love Dane, the Bengals need a different sort of WR. Also, Sooner fans don't seem high on Carter, but I don't know a lot about him personally.
[/quote]
Think of Carter as another Roy Williams, but with better coverage ability. He's played all over the field, and apparently also plays WILL in Oklahoma's nickel packages. That sort of scheme versatility is something Zimmer always seems to crave in his players. He is also regarded as a leader who is regularly geeing up and lining up players on the field and leads by example. Opposing teams have to be aware of him because he is a big hitter and solid tackler in open field. He runs in about the 4.55 range which about average for a safety. His intangibles are top notch. The only major knock has been some injuries in the past.

Here's some highlights:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecbU_IsFxWk&feature=player_detailpage[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgSi1nG-hkc&feature=player_detailpage[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwo9_opHl_c&feature=player_detailpage[/media]

[quote name='sparky151' timestamp='1301163438' post='980185']
We need a starting SS. I don't trust Roy to stay healthy and Ndukwe is backup material and probably a free agent. There isn't much talent at safety in this draft however so I'd look for a free agent SS. We're probably ok with Nelson at FS. I'd like to see Trent moved there as the backup. Let Crocker and Roy go, add a veteran SS like Whitner or Landry and we'd be set there.
[/quote]

whitner...brother i wish! that would answer the problem for a long time here on in. if i could draw one up on paper, you just mentioned his name.

Archived