Does the drafting of Dalton give Carson more or less leverage?

[quote name='Oldcat' timestamp='1304194480' post='989514']
Its not a lot more likely that a smart feller would decide, right after his worst season ever, and after the owner had spent millions on WR FAs just to please you, to act like a whiny jerk in public against the one owner in football least likely to be concerned about his public image, and the one known for not giving in to these kinds of out of turn contract demands.

So either Carson and his agent are the dumbest fucks on the planet, [b]or there's another player in the equation.[/b]
[/quote]

Palmer and #85 plan to start a beach football team in California.

:ph34r:

[quote name='Oldcat' timestamp='1304194480' post='989514']
Its not a lot more likely that a smart feller would decide, right after his worst season ever, and after the owner had spent millions on WR FAs just to please you, to act like a whiny jerk in public against the one owner in football least likely to be concerned about his public image, and the one known for not giving in to these kinds of out of turn contract demands.

So either Carson and his agent are the dumbest fucks on the planet, or there's another player in the equation.
[/quote]

I have never denied that the wife is a factor.. And likely a major one.. But i don;t buy the "pussywhipped" BS. I also don't think anyone knows for sure how this became a public matter. Making it public doesn't seem to help either party, and if "insiders" are to be believed he was very upset with Mike Brown acknowledging it in the press conference. Also, supposedly Carson didn't mention retirement (backed by Brown's statement). It seems that only became a factor [i]after[/i] Mike acknowledged the trade request and Carson felt bridges had been burnt as a result.

I'm not trying to defend him. Personally I think he needs some perspective. But I don't think he deserves to be crucified, or have his family slandered either.

[quote name='Lucid' timestamp='1304194891' post='989526']
I have never denied that the wife is a factor.. And likely a major one.. But i don;t buy the "pussywhipped" BS. I also don't think anyone knows for sure how this became a public matter. Making it public doesn't seem to help either party, and if "insiders" are to be believed he was very upset with Mike Brown acknowledging it in the press conference. Also, supposedly Carson didn't mention retirement (backed by Brown's statement). It seems that only became a factor [i]after[/i] Mike acknowledged the trade request and Carson felt bridges had been burnt as a result.

I'm not trying to defend him. Personally I think he needs some perspective. But I don't think he deserves to be crucified, or have his family slandered either.
[/quote]

Is Carson a man or a junior high school girl? You don't blow up your career over crap like that, even if the insider version isn't utter crap, like it usually is.

[quote name='Oldcat' timestamp='1304195090' post='989530']
Is Carson a man or a junior high school girl? You don't blow up your career over crap like that, even if the insider version isn't utter crap, like it usually is.
[/quote]

The NFL isn't a career. It's an opportunity. Is it a decision I would make? I don't know. I have no idea where my head would be at if I had that much money in the bank and kids to boot.

I think it's safe to say football isn't at the top of his priorities list. Does that really make him a bad person? I don't think so. Probably someone you don't want to hand the keys to the franchise to though.

He has actually played it pretty smart.

He hasn't said a public word at all as to his intentions. The only "information" has been back door stuff from unconfirmed sources. Yeah ML alluded to something, but even he is as verifiable officially as the real estate agent.

All CP has to do now is just report when it comes time to report. When asked, all he has to say is: "There is nothing to whatever you have heard or assumed. Yes, I asked Mr. Brown to look into a trade possibility, but it wasn't available, so here I am--ready to help get the Cincinnati Bengals back into the playoffs." He can play innocent, and without any public utterances (like Chad did) to impeach him, he can sidestep it all.

And maybe, that is exactly how he intended it to be all along if he couldn't get his immediate trade.

[quote name='Lucid' timestamp='1304195539' post='989539']
The NFL isn't a career. It's an opportunity. Is it a decision I would make? I don't know. I have no idea where my head would be at if I had that much money in the bank and kids to boot.

I think it's safe to say football isn't at the top of his priorities list. Does that really make him a bad person? I don't think so. Probably someone you don't want to hand the keys to the franchise to though.
[/quote]

Yeah, and his next career will be golfing twice a week.

He's pulled in what, fifty million? Good luck doing that in your career.

[quote name='Lucid' timestamp='1304192653' post='989481']
How do you know this? I'm making my assumption on what is most likely all things considered.. You really think Carson is happy and wants to keep playing here and his wife is forcing him to do something he doesn't want to do?

It's not impossible, but seems sort of unlikely.
[/quote]

When Carson's wife isn't happy....Carson isn't happy

[quote name='Le Tigre' timestamp='1304195666' post='989541']
He has actually played it pretty smart.

He hasn't said a public word at all as to his intentions. The only "information" has been back door stuff from unconfirmed sources. Yeah ML alluded to something, but even he is as verifiable officially as the real estate agent.

All CP has to do now is just report when it comes time to report. When asked, all he has to say is: "There is nothing to whatever you have heard or assumed. Yes, I asked Mr. Brown to look into a trade possibility, but it wasn't available, so here I am--ready to help get the Cincinnati Bengals back into the playoffs." He can play innocent, and without any public utterances (like Chad did) to impeach him, he can sidestep it all.

And maybe, that is exactly how he intended it to be all along if he couldn't get his immediate trade.
[/quote]

lol. heads would blow up if that happened. people would just have no clue what to do haha

[/quote]

I think all that played in the Bengals decision of WHEN to draft their QB.

Really shouldn't turn this into another why did carson want to leave thread. The answer is no. His only real leverage is to retire, which means losing money. I can see the boomer scenario here. It is not like Mama Palmer has to come back to Cincy. Likely she would, but who knows. Palmer spends half his season on the road anyway, so who knows. At this point, it is smart for him to come back for a year and try to boost his stock, but it may be a smart time to deal him too. Seattle, San Fran and Arizona still didn't do a ton to improve their situation.

[quote name='Lucid' timestamp='1304201005' post='989596']
So your a "my way or the highway guy"? Ok, whatever works for you.
[/quote]

Pot meet kettle

You admit "his wife is a major factor" why he is a quitter, and yet pretending that is really different than he is "pussywhipped". Again....a rose by any other name. Call it whatever makes you happy. It's the same thing.

All CP has to do now is just report when it comes time to report.
[/quote]

And then watch his brother get fired.

That very well may happen this season any way.
I'd rather they get an experienced QB that can help groom Dalton and keep LeFevour as the #3.

I was surprised 2 NFC teams---Arizona and Seattle did not take QBs this draft----and they need them. I have a gut feeling one or both of them will at least attempt to get soP to trade Palmer. I understand playing hard ball, but if you can get some high 2012 draft picks, it may be worth the trade.

Personally, I think Palmer is on the downside anyway and not taking any team to the Superbowl.

Why is it so hard to believe that this isn't a Palmer family decision? He's probably sick of the losing, the bullshit (alleged, true or untrue about the dysfunctional organization practices), causes stress at home, stupid hillbillies throwing garbage on their lawn, etc etc.

All of this probably affecting their home lives, a new family, mucho stress in their household. Wife probably says "these people don't appreciate you, and you are going nowhere with this group, we should get the hell out of here. We have plenty of of money, let's start the new chapter of our lives."

That may or may not be what happened, but I think that's (or something along these lines) far more than believable than his wife saying "you will request a trade now!" and him doing it.

[quote name='Cat' timestamp='1304217985' post='989693']
Why is it so hard to believe that this isn't a Palmer family decision? He's probably sick of the losing, the bullshit (alleged, true or untrue about the dysfunctional organization practices), causes stress at home, stupid hillbillies throwing garbage on their lawn, etc etc.

All of this probably affecting their home lives, a new family, mucho stress in their household. Wife probably says "these people don't appreciate you, and you are going nowhere with this group, we should get the hell out of here. We have plenty of of money, let's start the new chapter of our lives."

That may or may not be what happened, but I think that's (or something along these lines) far more than believable than his wife saying "you will request a trade now!" and him doing it.
[/quote]
So you're saying equal parts frustration and pussywhipped...i can get down with that.

[quote name='Cat' timestamp='1304217985' post='989693']

[/quote]

Since a good part of the losing is because we have tried too hard to please him with vet FA WRS who don't pan out, and because he played badly at critical times, he hardly can go pointing fingers at the administration without getting some blowback.

He can afford to hire armed guards to pop anyone trashing his house, and half the city would applaud him if he did. If he won some playoff games, they'd give him a medal for it.

Archived