College Prospects of Interest

Marvin

As you point out, he's a large guy and therefore no ballerina. But similar to Glenn he's playing out of position and could move inside to RG and fill Bobbie's role. I've only seen 10-15 of ISU's offensive series this year, so I'll defer to your opinion but I've been impressed with his ability to move people when run blocking. Against pass rushers, his long arms and even longer kick step seem to mitigate some of the foot speed issues.

That is a sweet picture.

It'll be ironic, though, if we draft him, put him at SLB while he learns to stop over pursuing (which he does) and learns how to call the defenses and then call for his ouster seven games into his third season and first back at his natural position.

Give Rey a chance.

I just don't see linebacker as a big enough need to take Burfict where he is projected to go. Rey has been solid at MLB and getting better. Lawson played better and I expect him to continue improving. And we still have Moch. Plus we have not had a lot of success with position changes. If he somehow slides to our second round pick I'd think about it just for the value. But LB is low on my priority list, and would prefer a "natural" SLB if we do take one.

Just to stir the pot. Found this on another board. Very interesting metrics on our CB's this season:

[size=3]From STATS LLC,

Nate Clements:

Targets: 55
Completions: 23
Yards 299
TDs 2
YPA 5.43

Leon Hall:

Targets: 36
Completions: 21
Yards 300
TDs 2
YPA 8.33 [/size]

Contrary to popular opinion, and more in line with what my eyes have been telling me, Leon is our 2nd best corner.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1320438282' post='1055938']
I just don't see linebacker as a big enough need to take Burfict where he is projected to go. Rey has been solid at MLB and getting better. Lawson played better and I expect him to continue improving. And we still have Moch. Plus we have not had a lot of success with position changes. If he somehow slides to our second round pick I'd think about it just for the value. But LB is low on my priority list, and would prefer a "natural" SLB if we do take one.
[/quote]

agreed.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1320438282' post='1055938']
[/quote]

Well a lot Bengals fans didn't want AJ Green because we had Simpson, Caldwell, and Shipley, but that has turned out well. I think Rey is set in stone in the middle, but Burflict could be an upgrade at either outside linebacker position within a few seasons. Plus it would give us depth and a killer rotation right away, kind of like what we have with the D-line. Plus, he would give us some attitude like what Harrison gives the Steelers, or Ray gives Ravens, or Suh gives the Lions. I think he would be Burflict for our defense.

[quote name='Egg Shen' timestamp='1320456025' post='1056106']

Well a lot Bengals fans didn't want AJ Green because [b]we had Simpson, Caldwell, and Shipley,[/b] but that has turned out well. I think Rey is set in stone in the middle, but Burflict could be an upgrade at either outside linebacker position within a few seasons. Plus it would give us depth and a killer rotation right away, kind of like what we have with the D-line. Plus, he would give us some attitude like what Harrison gives the Steelers, or Ray gives Ravens, or Suh gives the Lions. I think he would be Burflict for our defense.
[/quote]

Simpson and Caldwell had done almost nothing, and Shipley isn't remotely a #1. WR was a need. LB is not.

Guard, RB, SS, and possibly CB are all ahead of LB on my list.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1320499226' post='1056192']

Simpson and Caldwell had done almost nothing, and Shipley isn't remotely a #1. WR was a need. LB is not.

[/quote]
Rey hasn't done too much yet either. Not that I would want to replace him, but Caldwell had about the same success as Rey.

If Vontaze is BPA, I think they take a long hard look. He brings some nastiness that we need.

Boom is running really good today and from everything I've heard, Boom is a GREAT kid. Big-time team player and really approachable on campus, the anti-Pryor.

Great vision. I just wish he had the size and speed to go with it.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1320499226' post='1056192']

[/quote]

Well I don't think you'll have to worry about Burflict anyway because unless the Raiders flop, I think we'll be drafting too late to get him. Besides that, I like Courtney Upshaw better anyway. He's somebody that can fill that Peter Boulware role that Marvin has been looking for.

anyone else stuck with crappy games this week? I haven't had a single SEC game and have had the likes of louisville/west virginia on TWO channels, ball state vs eastern michigan, no ESPN2, ABC or Fox game, Texas/Texas Tech on FX and I don't even know what was on fox sports ohio. Some division 3 game or something. Now I'm getting army/air force on CBS instead of a SEC game.

Do a lot of teams have byes this week?

Sure it could. Go off on the number 1 team in the nation to basically put your team into the Natty ship would put a lot more spotlight on him. Could make him the frontrunner for the heisman. Could solidify himself as a top 10 for sure.

Archived