How much "home field advantage" will the Jets have against the Giants?

Since this game has so much importance to the Bengals, I thought it might be a relevant discussion for this forum...

The discussion in [url="http://forum.go-bengals.com/index.php?showtopic=63055"]this thread[/url] got me thinking about something. This Saturday's Jets-Giants game is officially a home game for the Jets. But how much "home field advantage" will they really have? How much of "home field advantage" consists of players being able to sleep in their own homes and not have to travel, being familiar with the locker room, parking, field/turf, sidelines/bench area, etc and how much consists of having more fans cheering for their success?

If having the home "crowd" is important, how many Giants fans will be able to wiggle their way into the stadium, either through Jets fans giving up their tickets for Christmas Eve, or through corporations with no rooting interest owning season tickets and leaving Giants fans with just as good a chance to pounce on them as Jets fans? The Jets will certainly have the crowd, but how much of the crowd do players hear? How much does it influence them?

In the NFL, is it assumed that home teams get a three-point bump in the betting line. And I assume that home teams win more than road teams (Amish, you got some numbers you can pull up?). But how much of an advantage will the Jets actually have this Saturday?

[quote name='Bleeds Orange' timestamp='1324570856' post='1077981']
Since this game has so much importance to the Bengals, I thought it might be a relevant discussion for this forum...

The discussion in [url="http://forum.go-bengals.com/index.php?showtopic=63055"]this thread[/url] got me thinking about something. This Saturday's Jets-Giants game is officially a home game for the Jets. But how much "home field advantage" will they really have? How much of "home field advantage" consists of players being able to sleep in their own homes and not have to travel, being familiar with the locker room, parking, field/turf, sidelines/bench area, etc and how much consists of having more fans cheering for their success?

If having the home "crowd" is important, how many Giants fans will be able to wiggle their way into the stadium, either through Jets fans giving up their tickets for Christmas Eve, or through corporations with no rooting interest owning season tickets and leaving Giants fans with just as good a chance to pounce on them as Jets fans? The Jets will certainly have the crowd, but how much of the crowd do players hear? How much does it influence them?

In the NFL, is it assumed that home teams get a three-point bump in the betting line. And I assume that home teams win more than road teams (Amish, you got some numbers you can pull up?). But how much of an advantage will the Jets actually have this Saturday?
[/quote]

I would say it is less than average - no travel for either team, home facilities for both teams, familiar weather for both.

Insofar as familiarity with the field, weather conditions, and such...probably no advantage either way. The G-Men will have to dress in the visitor's locker room, but that shouldn't have much bearing.

One thing I will say about NY fans--which is much like Chicago fans in terms of Cubs/White Sox--there will be no neutral ground. Every Jet fan I know hates the Giants with a purple passion (just below that of the Pats), and vice-versa G-Men fans (just short of the Cowboys). It will be full of Fireman Ed's from every corner of the metro area, and I doubt seriously many Giant fans get in at all (unless they have some provision for them...I don't know, something in the stadium lease or whatnot).

Go Giants anyway!

[quote name='Le Tigre' timestamp='1324571634' post='1077993']
Insofar as familiarity with the field, weather conditions, and such...probably no advantage either way. The G-Men will have to dress in the visitor's locker room, but that shouldn't have much bearing.

One thing I will say about NY fans--which is much like Chicago fans in terms of Cubs/White Sox--there will be no neutral ground. Every Jet fan I know hates the Giants with a purple passion (just below that of the Pats), and vice-versa G-Men fans (just short of the Cowboys). It will be full of Fireman Ed's from every corner of the metro area, and I doubt seriously many Giant fans get in at all (unless they have some provision for them...I don't know, something in the stadium lease or whatnot).

Go Giants anyway!
[/quote]

I have no clue, but I would imagine the stadium actually has 3 locker rooms. One for each of the new york teams and then a visiting locker room. I can't imagine the teams have to clean out their lockers each week so that the other team can use it. I'd think they both have their own.

[quote name='Le Tigre' timestamp='1324571634' post='1077993']

Go Giants anyway!
[/quote]

Each team has their own 'Home' locker room on a permanent basis. So no need for either team to move anything.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1324571873' post='1077996']

I have no clue, but I would imagine the stadium actually has 3 locker rooms. One for each of the new york teams and then a visiting locker room. I can't imagine the teams have to clean out their lockers each week so that the other team can use it. I'd think they both have their own.
[/quote]

you are correct.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1324571873' post='1077996']

[/quote]

You are astute! Per Wiki:

[i]"MetLife Stadium includes a total of [b]four locker rooms: one for the Giants, one for the Jets and two for visiting teams[/b]. The home teams have locker rooms on opposite ends of the stadium with a visitor's locker room adjacent to it; the unused visitor locker room is also used as a spillover area by the home team on game days"[/i]

I live in the NY area and I'll bet a lot of Giant fans will get their hands on tickets for the game. Giant fans outnumber Jets fans by quite a bit and I'm sure they'll make their presence felt. If it was a Giant home game, you'd see a lot of Jets fans as well, but not as many.

[u]Broad[/u] generalization here:

Giants fans = family owned tickets for 50 years, well-off businessmen

Jets fans = fucking trash that probably stole the car they drove to the stadium that day

Jets fans will be louder because by nature they are more obnoxious/drunk but there will be plenty of Blue in the stands. IMO this game comes down to which Eli Manning shows up and do his WRs help him out more so than home field advantage.

[quote name='Bleeds Orange' timestamp='1324570856' post='1077981']In the NFL, is it assumed that home teams get a three-point bump in the betting line. And I assume that home teams win more than road teams (Amish, you got some numbers you can pull up?). But how much of an advantage will the Jets actually have this Saturday?[/quote]

I am NOT your stat bitch!

Okay, well, maybe I am....

Home teams are 126-98 this year
They score 23.41 points per game, visitors score 20.66. That's +2.75 for the home team.

I hope the Giants win for two reasons; obviously so the Bengals increase their chances of making the playoffs and so that Rex is one step closer to getting shit canned. I can't stand that guy, he's an assclown if ever there was one. How did he get a HC job, was it because of his old man? He's a sloppy, double gut having, toe sucking freak. He should be picking up garbage not leading a football team.

Also I used to live in NYC for a few years so I know there are plenty of Giants fans who will be at the game as the playoffs are on the line for them as well. Both teams have alot riding on this game as a loss will end both of their seasons. I would say the Giants have more fans as they have had more success recently, they have won 3 SuperBowls since the Jets have even played in the big game.

[quote name='The PatternMaster' timestamp='1324594658' post='1078106']
I hope the Giants win for two reasons; obviously so the Bengals increase their chances of making the playoffs and so that Rex is one step closer to getting shit canned. I can't stand that guy, he's an assclown if ever there was one. How did he get a HC job, was it because of his old man? He's a sloppy, double gut having, toe sucking freak. He should be picking up garbage not leading a football team.

Also I used to live in NYC for a few years so I know there are plenty of Giants fans who will be at the game as the playoffs are on the line for them as well. Both teams have alot riding on this game as a loss will end both of their seasons. I would say the Giants have more fans as they have had more success recently, they have won 3 SuperBowls since the Jets have even played in the big game.
[/quote]

He ran the Ravens defense for a while, plus his 'pedigree' as his father's son.

[quote name='The PatternMaster' timestamp='1324594658' post='1078106']

[/quote]

yeah rex ryan is the biggest ass wipe in the league even if the bengals were already elminatated from playoff contention i'd be pulling for the the Giants i hate that guy

Archived