So does this mean the Zombie Apocalypse started?

oldschooler

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1341785374' post='1138255']
Did you watch Walking Dead? Those zombies can move a distance. I wouldn't feel comfortable without a barrier.

You can be self-sustaining on an island as long as you don't grasshopper around. Farm for three seasons and shelter the fourth. You could always boat to land and go out on searches for anything you don't have and anything you may want.

I'm not talking a 25 yard island either... I'd think something a 2-4 miles wide and thick would be ideal. Well, I guess that would be pending how much people are there with you.
[/quote]
I'd definitely pick a farm with fencing. Would put another barrier around the house also. I think deep trenches would be effective. Have to steal a backhoe.

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1341785567' post='1138258']
And say it started... who would be the most valuable people?

Medical?
The hunter?
An athlete?

I would guess if you had one of each out there it would suffice. Your athlete would be your laborer and your runner/scout, the medical would medicate of course, and your hunter would feed you.

Any other must haves or close to must haves?
[/quote]
I'd want someone extremely mechanically inclined. Like an engineer or something. Someone to keep up with car problems and jerry rigging shit to work in the house, building shit, etc.

You don't have to be a hunter to kill zombies, they pretty much come to you and are slow moving. Anyone can be taught to shot, especially with a rifle or shotgun.

Who would your dream team be? Make it 5 people, 2 celebrities, 1 pro athlete, 2 wild cards

[quote name='akiliMVP' timestamp='1341795512' post='1138320']
I'd definitely pick a farm with fencing. Would put another barrier around the house also. I think deep trenches would be effective. Have to steal a backhoe.
[/quote]

You could make a moat... that would be an island as well as staying inland. Use a draw bridge to get in/out. Hopefully you'll have time to build yourself up before anything attacks. One thing I'm worried about is birds.... no matter what kind of force you have, those little suckers could fly above you, take a shit somewhere on your farm/island, and infect your entire place.

[quote name='akiliMVP' timestamp='1341796107' post='1138321']

I'd want someone extremely mechanically inclined. Like an engineer or something. Someone to keep up with car problems and jerry rigging shit to work in the house, building shit, etc.

You don't have to be a hunter to kill zombies, they pretty much come to you and are slow moving. Anyone can be taught to shot, especially with a rifle or shotgun.

Who would your dream team be? Make it 5 people, 2 celebrities, 1 pro athlete, 2 wild cards
[/quote]

I was thinking hunter for food, not zombie killer. Kill deer, rabbit, etc.

Not counting myself... ??? I'd hope I survived the initial outbreak.

[b]Celebrity - Octomom[/b] - Yeah, there is one good thing about her. You impregnate the woman and outside of being able to field an entire infield, you'll have tons of children to raise and help you defend your base of zombies in case the outbreak lasts for years. If the outbreak is only for a few years, then yes, I made a bad, bad decision.
[b]Celebrity - Bear Gryllis[/b] - is that how you spell his name? Here's my hunter/gatherer.
[b]Athlete - Ken Bekele[/b] - I Google'd fastest mile or something like that. Here's your supply gatherer/runner/scout. No way he gets caught. Plus, he won't eat very much. Here's what I found. "[color=#333333][font=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif][size=3]All world records except for the mile are in meters. The closest metric distance is 5k which is 3.1 miles. The current world record for 5k is 12:37 by Ken Bekele from Ethiopia. That is equivalent to 12:10 for 3 miles."[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif][size=3][b]Wild Card - My brothe[/b]r - I have to have the guy. He's fast, strong, instinctive. You need to have that guy that has your back as much as you have his. Plus, we wouldn't let one out do the other... we'd have our base set up in no time.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif][size=3][b]Wild Card - My dad[/b] - Same goes for him as my brother except for he's older and wore down. However, that guy is as resourceful as they come and can fix anything (good point with adding a mechanically inclined person).[/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1341841105' post='1138349']
You could make a moat... that would be an island as well as staying inland. Use a draw bridge to get in/out. Hopefully you'll have time to build yourself up before anything attacks. One thing I'm worried about is birds.... no matter what kind of force you have, those little suckers could fly above you, take a shit somewhere on your farm/island, and infect your entire place.

I was thinking hunter for food, not zombie killer. Kill deer, rabbit, etc.

Not counting myself... ??? I'd hope I survived the initial outbreak.

[b]Celebrity - Octomom[/b] - Yeah, there is one good thing about her. You impregnate the woman and outside of being able to field an entire infield, you'll have tons of children to raise and help you defend your base of zombies in case the outbreak lasts for years. If the outbreak is only for a few years, then yes, I made a bad, bad decision.
[b]Celebrity - Bear Gryllis[/b] - is that how you spell his name? Here's my hunter/gatherer.
[b]Athlete - Ken Bekele[/b] - I Google'd fastest mile or something like that. Here's your supply gatherer/runner/scout. No way he gets caught. Plus, he won't eat very much. Here's what I found. "[color=#333333][font=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif][size=3]All world records except for the mile are in meters. The closest metric distance is 5k which is 3.1 miles. The current world record for 5k is 12:37 by Ken Bekele from Ethiopia. That is equivalent to 12:10 for 3 miles."[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif][size=3][b]Wild Card - My brothe[/b]r - I have to have the guy. He's fast, strong, instinctive. You need to have that guy that has your back as much as you have his. Plus, we wouldn't let one out do the other... we'd have our base set up in no time.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif][size=3][b]Wild Card - My dad[/b] - Same goes for him as my brother except for he's older and wore down. However, that guy is as resourceful as they come and can fix anything (good point with adding a mechanically inclined person).[/size][/font][/color]
[/quote]
[size=4]Totally didn't even think about hunter as in gathering food... good point. Can't just live off veggies freal.

My dream team:
Celeb 1 - Jamie Hyneman, Mythbusters - Dude can build anything and has experience as a wilderness survival expert
Celeb 2 - Richard Machowicz, Deadliest Warrior, Future Weapons - Former US Navy Seal and weapons expert. BAMF.
Athlete - Jared Allen, Vikings - Avid hunter and outdoors man. Also a top athlete
Wild Card 1 - Chad Knaus, NASCAR crew chief - Widely known as the best NASCAR mechanic. He'll keep our vehicles/tractors/etc running. Will also be our driver for supply runs.[/size]
[left][size=4]Wild card 2 - [color=#000000]Michelle Viscusi - US Army MP, competitor on History Channel's Top Shot, and looks like this:[/color][/size][/left]
[left][img]http://cdn.glockforum.com/forum/attachments/f15/2952d1332262720-top-shot-season-4-michelle-viscusi-image-1844065848.jpg[/img][/left]

You guys are taking completely the wrong approach. Your tough guys like Jared Allen are going to take the ONE chick you brought along and you will be their bitch. Keep that top shot chick, add Eva Longoria and Hope Solo, another one to cook delicious food, and one like Danica Patrick that may know a thing or two about mechanical stuff, now you are king with a nice little harem as long as you can avoid a mutiny

[quote name='eva4ben-gal' timestamp='1342032205' post='1138563']
You guys are taking completely the wrong approach. Your tough guys like Jared Allen are going to take the ONE chick you brought along and you will be their bitch. Keep that top shot chick, add Eva Longoria and Hope Solo, another one to cook delicious food, and one like Danica Patrick that may know a thing or two about mechanical stuff, now you are king with a nice little harem as long as you can avoid a mutiny
[/quote]
I thought of this exact thing this morning and was going to post an edited dream team but I had training all day.

Revised:
Celeb 1 - Jamie Hyneman, Mythbusters
Celeb 2 - [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Richard Machowicz, Deadliest Warrior, Future Weapons[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Athlete - Jared Allen, Vikings[/font][/color]
[color=#ff0000][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Wild Card 1 - Mike Howe, Owner of Howe & Howe Technologies - brilliant mechanic/engineer of military and law enforcement vehicles. Picked him over NASCAR guy because they can not only fix vehicles, but pimp the shit out of them. [/font][/color]
[color=#ff0000][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Wild Card 2 - Sgt 1st Class John Maitha, US Army - Winner of 2011 Top Army Medic competition. Army Ranger so he can kill and his combat medic skills will be handy.[/font][/color]

[quote name='akiliMVP' timestamp='1341888833' post='1138410']
[size=4]Celeb 2 - Richard Machowicz, Deadliest Warrior, Future Weapons - Former US Navy Seal and weapons expert. BAMF.[/size]
[/quote]

No way. I'd get tired of him telling me he's a Former US Navy Seal every 2 minutes - "as a former US Navy Seal, I've had quite a few glasses of water" - and then he'd palm strike my septum into my frontal lobe or whatever.

• 7 months later...
[b] [size=6]KRTV's Emergency Alert System Hacked To Warn Of Fake Zombie Apocalypse (VIDEO)[/size][/b]

The zombie apocalypse hasn't happened yet, but a few thousand people in Great Falls, Mont., are to be forgiven if they thought it was.

On Monday, the emergency alert system at [url="http://www.krtv.com/"]KRTV-TV[/url] in Great Falls was hacked during the "The Steve Wilkos Show" to send out a message that "dead bodies are rising from their graves" in several counties.

The warning also told those watching [url="http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2013/02/someone-just-hacked-an-emergency-tv-system-to-tell-people-zombies-were-happening/"]not to try and apprehend the dangerous individuals,[/url] only to get to shelter and stay safe, Gizmodo.au reported.

Just in case you didn't know, there wasn't actually a zombie outbreak.

Nevertheless, KRTV-TV felt obliged to let viewers know both on the air and online that [url="http://www.krtv.com/news/bogus-emergency-alert-message-transmitted/"]the earlier report of zombies rising out of their graves was not accurate.[/url]

"This message did not originate from KRTV, and there is no emergency," the station explained. "Our engineers are investigating to determine what happened and if it affected other media outlets."

So far, [url="http://gawker.com/5983516/montana-tv-stations-emergency-alert-system-hacked-warns-of-zombie-apocalypse"]no one has been able to figure out who did the hacking[/url] or if it was some kind of viral marketing for the AMC series, "The Walking Dead," Gawker reported.

(Video in the link)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/11/krtv-fake-zombie-alert_n_2665469.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000003

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1360680279' post='1214041']
I've always felt on The Walking Dead they were incredibly lacking in securing a home against Zombies. Given that the zombies don't do any thinking and don't try to open doors or break windows, etc... It should be relatively easy to find a place, secure and fortify it.
[/quote]

They have the prison now. I guess there's a non-secured place in the back of it (per one of the new characters - black dude who looks like that street fighter guy).

If you ever got a place like the prison, you would think you're golden for a while, right? They seem to have so much freaking trouble. As slow and immobile as those zombies are, if you were ever cornered by one, you probably need to be bit because you weren't mean to survive.

Archived