Baker to be offered a contract extension

Go Skins

[url="http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/10/reds-to-offer-baker-contract.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter"]http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/10/reds-to-offer-baker-contract.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter[/url]

The Reds want manager Dusty Baker back for the 2013 season. General manager Walt Jocketty planned to meet with Baker and offer him a short-term contract this morning, Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports (on [url="https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/256723040522608640"]Twitter[/url]).

The Reds were eliminated from the playoffs yesterday, ending a season that saw the team win 97 games and the NL Central title. Baker, who has managed the Reds since 2008, recently missed some time after suffering a mini-stroke. However, he [url="http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/10/managerial-notes-ausmus-rockies.html"]recently said[/url] he's [i]"not through managing,"[/i] an indication that he expects to return for at least one more season.

[quote name='gatorclaws' timestamp='1350060273' post='1169322']
Feels like a divorce to me. Both sides say they want it done but can't get it done. I've heard rumors of issues between Jockety and Dusty. Wondering if they offer a short, bad contract that they know Dusty will decline so that they can claim they tried.
[/quote]

If they can't sign Dusty back, they have Chris Speier to take his place. Billy Hatcher might even get the nod. The Red's have a good coaching staff. I am kind of surprised they want Dusty back. One of the knocks on Dusty is his teams under-perform in the playoffs. He's taken his teams to the playoffs lots of times but could never get a World Series ring. I guess that would make him the baseball version of Marty Schottenheimer?

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1350061756' post='1169329']
Would you want LaRusa?
[/quote]

Nope, I'd take Valentine before LaRusa. Valentine has some ties to Cincinnati already. He was an adviser for them before he went back to Japan this last time. I would even give Sweet Lou a call.

[quote name='BigDawgBengal' timestamp='1350061293' post='1169327']
I hope Dusty takes his health into consideration. He has had a long career in the majors. Heart problems and a stroke are nothing to screw around with.
[/quote]

x2

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1350061756' post='1169329']
Would you want LaRusa?
[/quote]

It might mean Cueto would get the all star nod. :lol:

[quote name='gatorclaws' timestamp='1350060273' post='1169322']
Feels like a divorce to me. Both sides say they want it done but can't get it done. I've heard rumors of issues between Jockety and Dusty. Wondering if they offer a short, bad contract that they know Dusty will decline so that they can claim they tried.
[/quote]

From what I have heard, Dusty really likes the team and the organization but was waffling on Cincinnati itself. Apparently he feels the fans are very hard on him, and expected a better reaction than he was getting for such a great season.. The quote that was relayed to me was (paraphrasing because this is 2nd hand) "I don't really understand why they react the way they do sometimes.. Frankly it's not something I have ever had to deal with before in any of the other places I have been."

It's nice to know the deal got done.... I had heard that it was just a matter of time.

[quote name='Lucid' timestamp='1350071663' post='1169427']
From what I have heard, Dusty really likes the team and the organization but was waffling on Cincinnati itself. Apparently he feels the fans are very hard on him, and expected a better reaction than he was getting for such a great season.. The quote that was relayed to me was (paraphrasing because this is 2nd hand) "I don't really understand why they react the way they do sometimes.. Frankly it's not something I have ever had to deal with before in any of the other places I have been."

It's nice to know the deal got done.... I had heard that it was just a matter of time.
[/quote]

Yeah there was a an article with a quote from Marvin. He said he gave Dusty some well wishes, and made a comment about how hard the fans and media were on Dusty in May.

[quote name='gatorclaws' timestamp='1350065977' post='1169373']
Marty says a 1 year deal has been signed, per Lance.
[/quote]

Its contingent on a couple things:

pull your starting pitcher in a game 5 playoff game when he's clearly melting down and facing the best hitter in baseball with the bases loaded
NEVER again use a hit and run in a playoff situation
pay for your own toothpicks
tell Scott Rolen to beat it
never mention the name "Corey Patterson" again, even in jest

I hope they bring some 'consultants' this year to help him. Pinella, Davey Johnson, and Bobby Valentine, all have done well with the Reds. Davey Johnson is coaching the Nats isn't he? I think he is on a one year deal though. So who knows if he'll be back.

Archived