Flag Football

Tigris

LV-Gridiron.png

My team Air Raid started the season with a win.  Last second 35 yard field goal.  I swear last second field goals are the most exciting plays ever.  

I've played in some leagues where you can kick FGs. I blocked an XP once. Off the edge and laid out for it. It was awesome.

Are you in a full contact league? 8v8?

Tell me about it.

I use to be in an offense like that. We practiced it one time and just went with it and it actually worked.

I literally meant "please tell me about your offense". If you don't want to share your secrets, it's okay...

Game day! Time to make it happen.

25-19 and another W

Came down to the wire again. I know this is overused, but we seem to play to the level of our competition. We're leaps and bounds more athletic, faster, stronger than any team out there yet we routinely find ways to keep it close. I threw an INT into the end zone today that would have put us up a couple scores. I don't know the statistics off hand but I know Akili had 4 sacks. Great game by our DL. The other blitzer for us had 5 sacks. The QB was decently mobile too but we got after it. Nice work Akili. I'll post stats later. Akili may know his... can't remember mine.

I watched that whole thing. Very interesting with the motioning QB. Impressive from the snapper.... putting those right on the money. One bad snap could kill a drive but he's on it. Big black dude in white can move for his size. Our league is set up a lot differently than this but your type of league is what we always played in before this. Full contact and no OL/DL formation restrictions are better BUT I'll be honest... older I get the more I like this non contact stuff. Don't get me wrong, I'd go full tilt blowing people up if I had to to win the game, but this league is definitely saving my body.

Nice league, sois. It looks like you made a good decision. BTW, financially, how's it looking for you?

I watched that whole thing. Very interesting with the motioning QB. Impressive from the snapper.... putting those right on the money. One bad snap could kill a drive but he's on it. Big black dude in white can move for his size. Our league is set up a lot differently than this but your type of league is what we always played in before this. Full contact and no OL/DL formation restrictions are better BUT I'll be honest... older I get the more I like this non contact stuff. Don't get me wrong, I'd go full tilt blowing people up if I had to to win the game, but this league is definitely saving my body.

Nice league, sois. It looks like you made a good decision. BTW, financially, how's it looking for you?

It seems like it will pay for itself in nine months or so.  I'm not one to try to get rich, I want to make the league fun so I will pump resources into it.  I will tell you this though... doing things "the right way" is a lot of work.  

And yes, the spread offense is much easier physically.  Unfortunately for me, I'm fat and slow right now so I would be useless in the spread.  Maybe if I slim down I can contribute more. 

• 3 weeks later...
Last week we won... numbers unknown right now. I don't remember them. We beat the second best team, record-wise, by 19+. The first half it was close but then the second half we took over. This has us the #1 seed in the playoffs.

Today was about the same. First couple drives they took it to us pretty good. I know they scored first and then I think score again right after. Anyway, went into half time up by 8 points and ended up winning by 15.

We play the #4 seed next week and then either the #2 or #3 after I believe... scheduling is still pending.

Perfect season. Dolphins are sad.

We balled out today. Our defensive unit is the rock. I also pulled a guy's pants and underpants down today. He did get injured on the play but he hammered me last fall so I didn't feel bad.

Awesome season. We had some crazy battles.

We had the semifinals and finals yesterday and while I've been really sore after games this year, this is the worst I've been, maybe ever after anything.

I feel like I just went 12 rounds with the champ. Head to toe... just ruined.

• 9 months later...
Played in a tourney last week and won. Played in a tourney this week and got our asses beat. We were short handed... can't play 6 games with 7 guys (5on5). The tourney was a best of three game series for each round (stupid) and we lost to the #1 D-League team in the state and #7 nationally (same team). We won the first game 6-6-5, lost 5-6, and lost 2 or 3-6. Hard fought game

Long shot here but we're looking for a couple guys who can ball. We found out we need to add a few more dudes. Games are in Xenia on Saturday mornings. Gotta be good. Like former collegiate player good, 4.7 or faster, football savvy, gotta be physical.

• 2 months later...
Our regular season just ended yesterday.

Breakdown:

Game 1: Played a defector team with some new guys. They have a bright future but we have tons of vets and they need to cut their slow guys. We won by a TD 27-20 I believe. 1-0.

Game 2: We played the defending champs from the fall (we didn't play in the fall league). Super fast guys but not many football smarts. Right game all the way through. We dropped 3 INTs. Won approximately 25-13 (can't remember) but it was way closer than the score indicates as we scored with only a few seconds left to seal the deal. 2-0.

Game 3: Played a real young team; some of them I don't think have ever played. Dominated them. It was like 42-6 or something. Think we had 3 defensive TDs. 3-0.

Game 4: Played a team that just finished the season as the #1 seed in their conference. They beat us after a defensive failure like 34-28 or something. Very uncharacteristic of us as we've beat these guys convincingly in the past. 3-1.

Game 5: I'm going to preface this with this team coming up was the only team that almost beat us last year. We were trailing with only a few minutes left. We were in some close ones but this was one I really thought we couldn't pull off during the game last season. Because of the short season this year, it was win this and finish with the #1 seed or lose and miss the playoffs by a game. We got the ball first, threw a pick, stopped em inside the 20. Got the ball back, threw another pick, stopped them inside the 20 again. We had to punt, punt failed to launch, they got te ball around their 30, got inside the 20, and we stopped them again. It was a defensive battle. We went into halftime tied 0-0. We opened up the second half the exact same way, struggling offensively. We punted back and forth, played some field positions with them. Our DL was playing possessed and our LBs and most of the DBs playing with attitude and toughness (dude thinks he broke his foot, played through it). We made a QB change, which changes our offensive entirely (different skill set) and their defense wasn't ready for it. We put in a couple drives in a row on maybe 4-5 plays total. They had about 2 mins to get two scores in as we were up 13-0. They ended up putting together a drive with about 40 seconds remaining making it 13-6. Although the refs gave them an extra timeout, which is crap, we still was able to run out the clock and end the season as the #1 seed in our conference.

There's a one day playoffs next Saturday.

Archived