Flag Football

Tigris

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1359046546' post='1210591']
I played with a guy who got a football scholarship to MN as an athlete in a league in Columbus (the ghetto league). He supposedly dropped out right after attending. The dude was amazing. He was so fun to play against. Kind of lets you measure yourself up and see how far you are from being able to get looks, get a scholarship, etc.

Nathan Williams, from OSU, played in a game with us once in the same league. Dude was only 18 at the time but was still a monster. Big, fast... basically impossible to stop.

We have two 1st Team All Ohio guys on our team now. One got it as a punter (one of our blitzers) and the other as a WR (our QB). Punter played DII or III but the WR decided not to play college ball. I think he was on the same All-Ohio team as Mario Manningham.

I'm also the backup center.
[/quote]

Definitely have cool stories about who I've played with and against. A few NFL'ers and some who didn't stick. I actually had a scholarship to play in college but went to UC instead. Never tried to walk on.....my future was not in pro football. I'm only 6'0 175 (prob 190 back then) with good but not elite speed but good quickness, short burst. I can't gain weight to save my life unfortunately. Didn't want to risk my health plus the scholarships were BS, partial .... one to Thomas More and some other small schools. Georgetown College in KY was probably the biggest school I could have gone to.

Your backup center comment made me lose my shit,....that was good. Real good.

Hit me up though if you do need someone for a week ......or if akiliMVP sucks :ninja:

[quote name='Khatmandude' timestamp='1359049195' post='1210598']
Definitely have cool stories about who I've played with and against. A few NFL'ers and some who didn't stick. I actually had a scholarship to play in college but went to UC instead. Never tried to walk on.....my future was not in pro football. I'm only 6'0 175 (prob 190 back then) with good but not elite speed but good quickness, short burst. I can't gain weight to save my life unfortunately. Didn't want to risk my health plus the scholarships were BS, partial .... one to Thomas More and some other small schools. Georgetown College in KY was probably the biggest school I could have gone to.

Your backup center comment made me lose my shit,....that was good. Real good.

Hit me up though if you do need someone for a week ......or if akiliMVP sucks :ninja:
[/quote]

I think Thomas Moore was where the punter guy I was talking about went. I will if we need a sub for the week... which may definitely happen with everyone's work schedule and whatnot.

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1359049251' post='1210599']
So you guys were a cop/thug mix?

No wonder things didn't work out.
[/quote]
Yeah the guy that ran the team let a Xenia guy bring a bunch of "friends". It was a giant fail. Our original QB got tendinitis in his elbow and couldn't throw. We didn't have a playbook at all for the first game. I made the playbook (I'm a defensive lineman but know more about football than most everyone on the team) but everyone just wanted to run the "you run around and get open and I'll probably just take off running" offense. Our defense was good except for one stupid fuck who we told couldn't play D anymore. He didn't show up after that. He actually threatened to "cut" someone in the middle of the game. Idiot.

I wanted to play offense because I was one of the fastest guys on the team. Brandon was the fastest, then the skinny guy whose name escaping me was 2nd, I was 3rd fastest. We'll say I was the fastest white guy on the team hahaha. I played O sparingly, mostly in garbage time when someone quit.

[quote name='akiliMVP' timestamp='1359050921' post='1210610']
Yeah the guy that ran the team let a Xenia guy bring a bunch of "friends". It was a giant fail. Our original QB got tendinitis in his elbow and couldn't throw. We didn't have a playbook at all for the first game. I made the playbook (I'm a defensive lineman but know more about football than most everyone on the team) but everyone just wanted to run the "you run around and get open and I'll probably just take off running" offense. Our defense was good except for one stupid fuck who we told couldn't play D anymore. He didn't show up after that. He actually threatened to "cut" someone in the middle of the game. Idiot.

I wanted to play offense because I was one of the fastest guys on the team. Brandon was the fastest, then the skinny guy whose name escaping me was 2nd, I was 3rd fastest. We'll say I was the fastest white guy on the team hahaha. I played O sparingly, mostly in garbage time when someone quit.
[/quote]

Been there, done that. We lost to the dang grey team this year. It was our very first game, too many chiefs out there, we played like hell. After the game I asked the guy who ran it, our QB, if I could just take over the defense because they were pathetic. I switched them from a man to man (and not everyone was even covered, so someone was definitely not playing man like we were suppose to do) to a zone. We didn't lose another game until the championship. Some games our offense would only score 1 TD but we'd still find a way on defense. It took a couple of games to figure out who was good where (this was all on the fly basically) but when I found it, we rocked it pretty well for the skill level we had to work with.

We run pre snap reads every play on offense. Mostly hand signals/signs, some words. I would say we all know where the ball is going 50% of the time before the snap. What we run is VERY simple, but hard to figure out in game. We'll often run a "play" where one guy is to be down the sideline and another guy across the middle (twin sets). It doesn't matter who goes where or how you get there, as long as you get there quick. So our guys will cross, fake cross and come back, wheel route 'em, fake wheel route and come back, normal 90 read routes. It works out great. If the other team plays man, then we just 90 read them with hand signals. It's a good, simple system every understands and doesn't take more than a game to learn.

On defense we run a 2-4-2 alignment. You know we have to line 3 down on defense, so we'll move in corners, bring down safeties to show something different to to make it look like a man coverage, but we bail and go 2 balls to the wall blitzers, 4 across (2 CBs and 2 LBS) who each have their zone (the 2nd linebacker is bailing from the defensive line position - we call one a standing LB and the other the down LB), then our 2 safeties who have their deep halves. On a scrambling QB, we shift over to a cover 3 zone... the backside corner drops back and gets his 1/3 while the two safeties shift over to the scrambling side; they each take a 3rd. Backside backer drops back to the middle to help and the rest just flow with the ball or with their man in the zone. In theory, it puts 7 defenders on one side of the field. The only thing a scrambler really gets us on is the backside flats, but how often can a guy scramble to one side and throw back to the backside flats? How many times does he even look that way? Maybe once every couple games.

If you can get after it blitzing, that would really free me up to go to safety because that's where we're weakest right now. Only issue is, I'm a bad ass blitzer and I need whoever replaces me to be able to get to the football every snap and force a quick or bad throw and not let those guys run around back there for more than a few seconds. In my opinion, outside of the QB, I think your blitzers are your most important position on the team. If you don't have a good rush, you lose.

What ya think?

We're going to win anyway. You may as well be on the winning team.

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1359057736' post='1210632']

Been there, done that. We lost to the dang grey team this year. It was our very first game, too many chiefs out there, we played like hell. After the game I asked the guy who ran it, our QB, if I could just take over the defense because they were pathetic. I switched them from a man to man (and not everyone was even covered, so someone was definitely not playing man like we were suppose to do) to a zone. We didn't lose another game until the championship. Some games our offense would only score 1 TD but we'd still find a way on defense. It took a couple of games to figure out who was good where (this was all on the fly basically) but when I found it, we rocked it pretty well for the skill level we had to work with.

We run pre snap reads every play on offense. Mostly hand signals/signs, some words. I would say we all know where the ball is going 50% of the time before the snap. What we run is VERY simple, but hard to figure out in game. We'll often run a "play" where one guy is to be down the sideline and another guy across the middle (twin sets). It doesn't matter who goes where or how you get there, as long as you get there quick. So our guys will cross, fake cross and come back, wheel route 'em, fake wheel route and come back, normal 90 read routes. It works out great. If the other team plays man, then we just 90 read them with hand signals. It's a good, simple system every understands and doesn't take more than a game to learn.

On defense we run a 2-4-2 alignment. You know we have to line 3 down on defense, so we'll move in corners, bring down safeties to show something different to to make it look like a man coverage, but we bail and go 2 balls to the wall blitzers, 4 across (2 CBs and 2 LBS) who each have their zone (the 2nd linebacker is bailing from the defensive line position - we call one a standing LB and the other the down LB), then our 2 safeties who have their deep halves. On a scrambling QB, we shift over to a cover 3 zone... the backside corner drops back and gets his 1/3 while the two safeties shift over to the scrambling side; they each take a 3rd. Backside backer drops back to the middle to help and the rest just flow with the ball or with their man in the zone. In theory, it puts 7 defenders on one side of the field. The only thing a scrambler really gets us on is the backside flats, but how often can a guy scramble to one side and throw back to the backside flats? How many times does he even look that way? Maybe once every couple games.

If you can get after it blitzing, that would really free me up to go to safety because that's where we're weakest right now. Only issue is, I'm a bad ass blitzer and I need whoever replaces me to be able to get to the football every snap and force a quick or bad throw and not let those guys run around back there for more than a few seconds. In my opinion, outside of the QB, I think your blitzers are your most important position on the team. If you don't have a good rush, you lose.

What ya think?

We're going to win anyway. You may as well be on the winning team.
[/quote]
I could definitely do that. Especially if all I'm doing is blitzing. Need to clear it with my wife but I should be good to go.

[quote name='akiliMVP' timestamp='1359080780' post='1210697']

good to go brah
[/quote]

This is so exciting. Would you be down for a throw around early March just before the season? I like to get the guys together before a season so everyone knows their role, knows rules, and gets to know each other a little bit. Always seems to make for a good season.

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1359082038' post='1210698']

This is so exciting. Would you be down for a throw around early March just before the season? I like to get the guys together before a season so everyone knows their role, knows rules, and gets to know each other a little bit. Always seems to make for a good season.
[/quote]
yup just lemme know when

Guess I better start doing some cardio

I wonder what it is. Though I had 14 in one game last year, I probably only ended the season with 17. It was just a long year of chasing people. Caused a lot of INTs though. My brother, our RCB (I blitzed from left), was an INT machine. I'd flush 'em that way, he'd throw against his body, Zach would jump it, and that was the end of that drive.

Less than 2 months away!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived