2013 NFL Preview: AFC North

"..they really don't know how to win a big game."

Uh...Mr. Bettis...does last December at Heinz Field ring a bell?

That game was big to us but take a couple steps back.

It is the perfect example of what needs to get better for the Bengals and plays right into Bettis's point.

First Steelers just simply weren't that good.   The Bengals let them off the mat at home.    While the Bengals beat them to finally kill their playoff chances.   The Steelers lost a bunch of games down the stretch and the game in Pitt could have easily been a 2 TD victory over them instead of a last second field goal.

It is the perfect example of what needs to get better for the Bengals and plays right into Bettis's point.

First Steelers just simply weren't that good.   The Bengals let them off the mat at home.    While the Bengals beat them to finally kill their playoff chances.   The Steelers lost a bunch of games down the stretch and the game in Pitt could have easily been a 2 TD victory over them instead of a last second field goal.

Meh.. Divisional games are rarely that cut and dry.

It was big to them too - their defense was playing full out to the wall to hold us off from breaking the game wide open.  It was all set up for Ben to pull a drive out of his ass again but not this time.

You know, you are allowed to enjoy a win here or there, especially one that is exactly what everyone was saying we couldn't do before then - beat the big boys in the division.  We just need to play more like we did in that game in the playoffs.  We need to get pissed at the damn Texans.

It was big to them too - their defense was playing full out to the wall to hold us off from breaking the game wide open.  It was all set up for Ben to pull a drive out of his ass again but not this time.

You know, you are allowed to enjoy a win here or there, especially one that is exactly what everyone was saying we couldn't do before then - beat the big boys in the division.  We just need to play more like we did in that game in the playoffs.  We need to get pissed at the damn Texans.

Oh hush beating the Steelers is always fun. 

However, Bengals had the better team last year and beating them was significant in terms of show but not in terms of quality.

Take the Steeler logo off and that was a bad football team down the stretch and maybe even for the year and they wouldn't have gotten all the late season playoff hype.   

The Bengals need to follow up last season with another quick foot in the ass early this year. 

Meh.. Divisional games are rarely that cut and dry.

For the bengals and Marvin Lewis,  yes.    I would add home games are rarely cut and dry for Lewis as well.

Oh hush beating the Steelers is always fun. 

However, Bengals had the better team last year and beating them was significant in terms of show but not in terms of quality.

Take the Steeler logo off and that was a bad football team down the stretch and maybe even for the year and they wouldn't have gotten all the late season playoff hype.   

The Bengals need to follow up last season with another quick foot in the ass early this year. 

For the bengals and Marvin Lewis,  yes.    I would add home games are rarely cut and dry for Lewis as well.

This is true.. It's also true for most teams in the league.  Not only do these teams play each other at least 2x a year, they are generally built to beat each other.  I also agree that Bettis has a point.  It's not just the ambiguous "they need to learn how to win".. I think it's more going out there and really expecting to win in those situations. This upcoming season will say a lot.

This is true.. It's also true for most teams in the league.  Not only do these teams play each other at least 2x a year, they are generally built to beat each other.  I also agree that Bettis has a point.  It's not just the ambiguous "they need to learn how to win".. I think it's more going out there and really expecting to win in those situations. This upcoming season will say a lot.

Bruce Coslet has more wins over the Pittsburgh Steelers in Cincinnati with far less attempts and talent. 

Nice to see that of the 5 players (out ofthe top 25) from the AFCN, 3 are on the Bengals, and arre tied with the Pats for most (potential) breakout players in the NFL.

Insider article. http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/72290/bengals-top-divisions-breakout-prospects

Bengals top division's breakout prospects

July, 22, 2013
4:30
PM ET
By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com

Many believe the Cincinnati Bengals will be among the breakout teams in 2013. Our friends at Football Outsiders believe the Bengals are tied with the New England Patriots for the most breakout prospects this year.

It's an Insider article, so you'll need a subscription to view the entire top 25in.gif. Here are the players who made the list from the AFC North:

4. Cortez Allen, CB, Pittsburgh Steelers: Allen steps into the starting role left by Keenan Lewis, who signed with the New Orleans Saints in free agency. Football Outsiders: Last year as Pittsburgh's nickelback, Allen allowed 6.3 adjusted yards per pass (12th among cornerbacks) and had a 55 percent adjusted success rate (26th).

7. Mohamed Sanu, WR, Cincinnati Bengals: Sanu caught four touchdown passes in three games before suffering a season-ending foot injury in Week 13. Football Outsiders: He isn't going to explode off the line, and he's not going to streak down the field -- but Sanu is built to beat coverage with his body, not his speed. If scouts are correct, he'll develop into a high-volume, very reliable possession receiver, which fits what the Bengals need to complement A.J. Green.

15. Gino Gradkowski, C, Baltimore Ravens: Gradkowski is favored to beat out A.Q. Shipley for Matt Birk's old starting job. Football Outsiders: At 300 pounds, Gradkowski is a little bit light for an NFL center, but that also means he's very agile and light on his feet, adept at pulls, traps and blocking for screen passes.

18. Brandon Thompson, DT, Bengals: After essentially redshirting his rookie season, Thompson will take the snaps left by backup Pat Sims, who signed with the Oakland Raiders in free agency. Football Outsiders: Thompson is an excellent interior gap stuffer, but he's also adept at an array of pass-rush moves including bull rush, swim and rip. He could eventually develop into the replacement for Domata Peko when Peko's contract ends after the 2014 season.

22. Emmanuel Lamur, OLB, Bengals: He isn't a household name, but he replaced Rey Maualuga in passing situations during minicamp. Football Outsiders: This could be the first step toward taking Maualuga out of the starting lineup entirely, in which case Burfict would move to the middle and Lamur would take the starting job at weakside linebacker.

Also interesting that they see Thompson as more of a breakout player than Still.  If either one does well this season it'd be a huge bonus.  And I'm not even going to touch the Lamur comments as I'm sure plenty of others will...

18. Brandon Thompson, DT, Bengals: After essentially redshirting his rookie season, Thompson will take the snaps left by backup Pat Sims, who signed with the Oakland Raiders in free agency. Football Outsiders: Thompson is an excellent interior gap stuffer, but he's also adept at an array of pass-rush moves including bull rush, swim and rip. He could eventually develop into the replacement for Domata Peko when Peko's contract ends after the 2014 season.

and may have the quickest first step on the DL next to Atkins, and yes including the DE's. 

I have nothing against Sanu breaking out.   I just want somebody to fill the void at No. 2.    However,   Marvin Jones is the guy that I think breaks out.

I think he has more explosion and during this void of football I've watched the last 2 bengal games which are hardly offensive shows and Jones, IMO, appears to be a guy that was very close to further establishing himself.

I have nothing against Sanu breaking out.   I just want somebody to fill the void at No. 2.    However,   Marvin Jones is the guy that I think breaks out.

I think he has more explosion and during this void of football I've watched the last 2 bengal games which are hardly offensive shows and Jones, IMO, appears to be a guy that was very close to further establishing himself.

Ideally they both bring something to the table this year. Sanu as a third down and redzone threat, jones as a second WR that can spread the field and get a little deeper. We don't have to have one full time number 2 WR, we just need more production out of WRs not named aj green overall.

Ideally they both bring something to the table this year. Sanu as a third down and redzone threat, jones as a second WR that can spread the field and get a little deeper. We don't have to have one full time number 2 WR, we just need more production out of WRs not named aj green overall.

Maybe.    I think you can do equal harm to an offense if you don't settle your main personnel down.

It's not absolute as the Patriots and Saints would dispell that notion as they roll in many different skill guys through out the course of the game.

I do think it is important to have a steady guy at No. 2.      It will be interesting to see if they can mix all these parts together and come up with a productive offense.

There is a downside to trying to do too much too soon.   I am hoping for a clear winner in the No. 2 battle whether it be Sanu or Jones.   I think it will be Jones.

However if both are mixed in a platoon it could be what you said, a case of different skills being brought to the table or it could be a case of neither one be all that dynamic.

You should watch some of the earlier games to see how Sanu might fit in.  He was looking pretty good in traffic in the Red Zone.  Marvin looked good in the Pittsburgh game as an outside guy in particular.  I say we play em both.

You should watch some of the earlier games to see how Sanu might fit in.  He was looking pretty good in traffic in the Red Zone.  Marvin looked good in the Pittsburgh game as an outside guy in particular.  I say we play em both.

I know.   The last two are the only ones I have. 

Jones had some tough challenged catches that reminded me of AJ when they attack the ball when they catch it.

I know.   The last two are the only ones I have. 

Jones had some tough challenged catches that reminded me of AJ when they attack the ball when they catch it.

He also had some challenged balls that he could have come down with and didn't. The one in the endzone against Pitt was huge. In fairness AJ had that problem in that game as well.

He also had some challenged balls that he could have come down with and didn't. The one in the endzone against Pitt was huge. In fairness AJ had that problem in that game as well.

Agreed.   That's where I think he's just inches away from really establishing himself further.

IF (I know) he comes down with some of those he's viewed as a more established player.   Main thing is he was showing skills to get open and beat CBs.

To your point it maybe that he isn't that clutch either.   Could go either way at this point.

nah that one was on Dalton.  Jones SMOKED the corner.  Dalton threw it late, allowing the DB to catch up and break up a jump ball in the endzone. 

If Dalton hits him in stride, its an easy TD.

I'll give him somewhat of a pass on that.  The DBs were playing very well, and only just keeping us from blowing the game open.  His other sideline catches to keep the chains moving were big in that game.

Archived