They Put Paint On The Wall...

Marvin said before the draft that they wanted to add depth at a number of positions. TE was one of the positions he listed, along with WR. So I think even if Eifert had not been available, they probably would still have drafted another TE at some point. But if it wasn't until the 5th or 6th round, then obviously that would have an effect on how much impact the player would be expected to have as a rookie. I was surprised to hear that Orson Charles got almost 300 scrimmage snaps in 2012. I had no idea the number was that high, but it's clear Gruden was looking to run 2 TE sets last season as well. You have to figure that Eifert will at least double that figure of Charles, even if it might not take snaps away from Gresham.

pretty much this.  All this "Gresham is unreliable" talk is laughable.  Inconsistent at times?  Hell yea, but you're not considered unreliable by your QB and coaches when you lead the team in 3rd down catches and conversions. Pretty sure he led the team in both in 2011 as well.  

Gresham says you're wrong.

Gresham says he needs to learn how to be a professional. Gresham says he needed to get his mind right. Gresham says he played like crap.

Guys like you need to stop acting like this is something laughable that some poster made up.

Stop pretending. Gresham wouldn't be talking about this stuff if it didn't exist.  

Gresham says he needs to learn how to be a professional. Gresham says he needed to get his mind right. Gresham says he played like crap.

Guys like you need to stop acting like this is something laughable that some poster made up.

Stop pretending. Gresham wouldn't be talking about this stuff if it didn't exist.  

And Carson Palmer always took the blame and said it was his fault when he threw an interception because Ochocinco ran the wrong route.

It's players speak. Stop taking it so seriously. Guys man-up and take the blame for things. And if someone is asked if they have to improve in certain areas, of course they say yes.

I'm glad Gresham appears to have taken the drafting of Eifert personally.  Hopefully, a motivated Gresham plays with more consistency because there is no question he has talent.  From the Bengals' side, I don't think drafting Eifert was solely a message to Gresham in response to his poor performance against Houston.  That's way too simplistic.  More likely it was a case of adding the best player available at the time and getting maximum value for the draft choice.  If Gresham thinks it's a shot at him, so be it and let's hope it makes him play better to prove the team wrong.  It's not as if the team can't play two tight ends at the same time and get production out of both guys.  In the end that is all that really matters to me, not feelings or contracts or anything unrelated to what happens on the field.  

Agree on all points.

That said, if it's too simplistic to say the Houston game isn't the reason Tyler Eifert is a Bengal it's just as true to say Greshams performance that day was probably a little bit more than just a guy having a bad day. In fact, Gresham bottomed out in the game and then went away to get his mind right....something that was sure to be mentioned once or twice on draft day.

Frankly, if Gresham goes too far in his belief that Eifert is a Bengal because of how poorly he played then it's just as fair to say others go too far in their insistence that their opinions are more valid than Greshams . How rarely do NFL players speak as honest and candidly as Gresham just did? So why would anyone ignore what he says OR presume to think they know better?

Last, how funny is it that Gresham openly admitted most of the things I've been accused of making up about him?

Pretty hilarious, right?

It's players speak. Stop taking it so seriously. Guys man-up and take the blame for things. And if someone is asked if they have to improve in certain areas, of course they say yes.

Yeah, and sometimes players mentally break down during games, but you refuse to acknowledge that. And further, sometimes those players go away to a quiet place to get their minds right, but you refuse to acknowledge that too. Further further, Gresham has repeatedly spoken about his past failures and how he intends to use them as motivation to stop being a "disappointment" who too often plays "like crap"....which has to come as quite a suprise to someone like you who refuses to acknowledge the failures even Gresham speaks about openly.

Yeah, and sometimes players mentally break down during games, but you refuse to acknowledge that. And further, sometimes those players go away to a quiet place to get their minds right, but you refuse to acknowledge that too. Further further, Gresham has repeatedly spoken about his past failures and how he intends to use them as motivation to stop being a "disappointment" who too often plays "like crap"....which has to come as quite a suprise to someone like you who refuses to acknowledge the failures even Gresham speaks about openly.

It must mean you ARE Jermaine Gresham.

I'm always humored by you piss poor attempts to play psychologist.

Even if we go on the assumption that the Bengals were looking for a TE, that does not mean they were "sending a message to" or "looking to replace" Gresham.

Perhaps they simply liked the success they saw when New England went 2 TE, and with Eifert and Gresham they think we could be better.

now i'm not necessarily saying they are/were looking for jermaine's replacement, because the chapter to that book hasn't been written yet.

Archived