Training Camp Thread #2

By my unofficial stats...Dalton 10-for-11 at practice today....Josh Johnson 5-for-5 #Bengals

Tyler Eifert snatching the football out of the air with vacuum hands every day. #Bengals

Bags are packed and #Bengals are ready to head to the ATL. RT if you're ready to get this football season started! pic.twitter.com/sR13v8qr9v

BQ1tkTlCUAAQRt8.jpg

Gresham in street clothes at camp. #bengals pic.twitter.com/RJBoAku0XA

BQ1qNDuCMAItuxb.jpg

Marvin Lewis on Green: "He's been running in the pool, we want to keep that and he's going to start his on-field stuff this week." #Bengals

1. Camp is over. Not a lot to report, but I'll have a few words and a photo gallery on http://CincyJungle.com  later today. @CincyJungle

2. Practice is happening so far away from fans. Fireworks just went off for Reds home run and the crowd was happy to cheer for something.

Expand
  3. Tyler Eifert snatching the football out of the air with vacuum hands every day. #Bengals

Expand
  4. Dalton hits Brandon Tate DEEP in 7-on-7 drill. Remember: no pads today.

Expand
  5. As you can see, my vantage point of certain drills isn't exactly ideal today. pic.twitter.com/D8WlUlgZ97

6. Whitworth monitoring and helping his teammates today. pic.twitter.com/uh6p21RlJQ

7. Even though he's in street clothes, Whitworth heavily involved with linemen during drills. Not surprising.

Expand
  8. Light walkthroughs at camp today. Will report anything noteworthy as it happens.

The Andrew Hawkins news seemed to get a bit grimmer.

Before leaving after Sunday's practice for Atlanta, head coach Marvin Lewis said Hawkins is seeking a second opinion on how to proceed with his sprained ankle. Lewis compared it to center Kyle Cook's injury in the sense that it was worse than originally feared before he needed surgery on the eve of the regular season. Cook was put on injured reserve-recall and came back in December, although he was eligible to play after eight weeks.

It's unknown if Hawkins is facing the same time frame, since he's a slot receiver that lives on his legs and speed, but Lewis indicated he's going to miss some time. Already faced with battling for snaps in the slot with wide receiver Mohamed Sanu and rookie tight end Tyler Eifert, as well as the addition of rookie running backGiovani Bernard, Hawkins, Lewis says, is disappointed.

"Obviously for Andrew the ankle's an important part of how he plays. So he's got to get it right. We want to make sure he gets it right," Lewis said. "He's in a big competition there with a bunch of guys. That's the thing he's disappointed about. He's battling to stay here and carve out a niche in the offense. Now he's had a little bit of a setback. The other guys he s competing with have a chance to step up a notch and move forward until he's ready."

As expected, Hawkins, wide receiver A.J. Green (knee) and left tackle Andrew Whitworth won't be making the trip to Atlanta. Also not making the trip are tight end Alex Smith (knee), defensive tackle Larry Black (knee), right tackleReid Fragel (knee), wide receiver Tyrone Goard (concussion), defensive tackle Brandon Thompson (knee), fullback Chris Pressley (knee).

WHIT CHANGE: Whitworth moved his locker into the empty stall that belonged to the recenly released Travelle Wharton. That now puts him between Cook and fellow tackle Andre Smith: "I like to change it up...Now I'm between the brainiac of the operation that I've played with forever and...I can talk to Dre about different rushers."

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Hawkins-mulling-next-step-Whit-changes-scenery/52ec3aa7-86d5-45a0-aaf2-440028765194

1. Haven't seen this much, Mike Brown signing autographs: pic.twitter.com/DDXGY8j3q0

2. Marvin on AJ Green: "He's going to start his on field stuff this week."

Expand
  3. Andrew Whitworth among several Bengals who won't be making trip to Atlanta to stay in Cincinnati and rehab.

Expand
  4. AJ Green will not be making trip to Atlanta.

Expand
  5. Marvin said the Hawkins injury is similar to Kyle Cook's injury last year. Point being, Cook's turned out to be worse than first thought.

Expand
  6. Marvin calls Andrew Hawkins injury an "ankle sprain", but says he's having a second doctor look at it to see how to best treat it.

Highlights from Marvin Lewis’ pre-Atlanta press conference

By Jay Morrison | Sunday, August 4, 2013, 02:08 PM

Marvin Lewis held a press conference Sunday a few hours before the Bengals were to hop on a plane for an extended road trip to Atlanta that will see them conduct a couple of joint practices with the Falcons ahead of Thursday night’s preseason opener in the Georgia Dome.

Lewis opened the presser by saying several players, including wide receiver A.J. Green and offensive tackle Andrew Whitworth will not make the trip. Also staying behind are DT Larry Black, OT Reid Fragel, WR Tyrone Goard, WR Andrew Hawkins, FB Chris Pressley, TE Alex Smith and DT Brandon Thompson.

“There’s a group of guys that we’re leaving behind here, based on the fact that they can probably get better work here, with the different rehab things that we have - treadmills, the things in the water and so forth - that will help them speed their process.”

Here are some of the other questions asked about the Atlanta trip and Lewis’ answers:

This is the time of training camp where focus sometimes wanes for the players, so how much will this change of pace with another team on the field to go against? The tempo and pace will be good for you that way, won’t it?

“We’re going to control the tempo. That’s going to be important, that we control them. Both coaching staffs, it’s important that we get the work we want without risking any further injury to anybody. We’ll get a chance to play live Thursday night. That’s the biggest thing: there’s a mental aspect, there’s a speed, there’s a tempo, the execution part, and then the live football will come on Thursday night. In Mike’s (Falcons head coach Mike Smith) and my minds, both, this was going to be a real good opportunity for our starting groups to get work against good people.”

How much work with the two teams’ first units get against each other?

“They’ll get almost half of each period. They’ll get about half of the work, and the other guys will split the rest. They’ll get about half of each period, like they do generally here. They’ll rotate their guys and we’ll rotate our guys, and we’re not necessarily concerned that we’re in harmony with that.”

In your tenure, the two times that you have practiced against other teams - against the Saints and now against the Falcons - have been up-tempo, high-powered offenses, which must be pretty good to practice against, right?

“Yeah. It’s good, because it’s a different tempo, different speed. Some of the concepts and route combinations and things you get offensively for the defense, and vice versa. The pressures and the rotations and the way they look. You kind of get used to the common things that occur, and now you’re having to adjust to somebody different.”

How much do you have to guard against guys pushing and shoving out there, since it is another team?

“We want to practice as pros. You can’t push and shove on an NFL game field, so we don’t want it to happen while we’re in practice. You see a few instances of it here, and we’ll step in and get it broken up. If they can’t fix it, we’ll make them hold hands and skip off into the sunset or something (laughs). That’s just wasting our time, though.”

Will there be any “live” portions of practice at all? Goal line or short yardage situations?

“No.”

Will there be officials?

“Yeah. They have a crew of officials. I think Jerome Boger will be the referee. They’ve got their crew. They’re doing their officiating thing (presentation) today, so those guys are staying over. Then they’ll have another group of guys that are in the (officiating) watch program for the NFL, just like we had the other day.”

When the officials are on the field in practice, do you see an increased focus from your players? Are they a little better with hand placement and that sort of thing?

“Our interaction with the officials over the three days that we had them was excellent. Hopefully we’ll get the same thing down there. We get kind of two bites at the apple, to get an opportunity to make correction. You’ve got to get your hands inside, or things like that. It’s being more corrective. We’ve had a productive three days, and this will be a couple more days of productive work.”

With you guys not going “live” at all, how difficult is it to evaluate the run game right now?

“You’re not going to evaluate that during practice. You’re going to evaluate getting on the right guys and the execution of it. But you’re exactly correct, you have to evaluate that as you go forward, particularly when you get into the same guys, the same back, the courses as you begin the regular season.”

Atlanta’s coaching staff includes some of your best friends in football, both on offense and defense. Does that add to your comfort level in going down there to practice, and knowing things will be handled?

“It is. In my mind and Mike’s mind. I don’t know how many coaches they have, but if they have 20 of them, I’ve probably worked with 15. Everybody feels good about their relationships that way, and the quality of the coaches that they are. I haven’t worked with (Falcons assistant head coach/wide receivers coach) Terry Robiskie, but I know the quality of coach he is. Same with (defensive line coach) Ray Hamilton and (linebackers coach) Glen Piers. These are good guys and good coaches - real good coaches. So that’s what we feel good about. We’re going against a very, very well-coached football team, and you can handle the situations very well.”

Have you been talking to Mike (Smith) and those guys about how you want to do it?

“Well yeah, Mike and I planned it out back in May what we were going to do. We’ve touched base a couple times since with some of the nuances and questions that coaches have. They sent us some video of practices yesterday so our coaches could see and make sure of some of the drill work. We’re on their format which isn’t much different than ours but we’re on their format. The first day our defense will be on the main field, which is closest to the fans, with their offense and we’ll rotate the second day where our offense will be over there against their defense. Mike and his assistant are very organized and have this organized to the letter.”

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/bengals/entries/2013/08/04/highlights_from_marvin_lewis_p_1.html/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Hawkins injury might be worse that originally thought

By Jay Morrison | Sunday, August 4, 2013, 02:37 PM

Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis shed some more light on the Andrew Hawkins ankle injury Sunday morning, comparing it to the injury center Kyle Cook suffered last preseason in that it might be worse than originally thought.

“It’s similar to that,” Lewis said. “Generally that’s always the case with an ankle injury. It’s really the symptoms of the patient into the next day, based on swelling and tenderness and where you go. Some guys walk in and they feel completely fine just a little sore and other guys are more sore and have more swelling than anticipated and they do more work and studies. He’s hopeful that the course of action will be plotted quickly but he’s much better today than he was yesterday. Obviously for Andrew, the ankle is an important part of how he plays. He’s got to get it right and we have to make sure he gets it right.

“He was in a big competition there with a bunch of guys. That’s the thing that he’s disappointed about. He’s battling to stay here and carve out a niche in the offense and now he’s had a little bit of a setback. We’ve got to make the most of it and now the guys that he was competing with get a chance to step up a notch and move forward for a while until he’s ready.”

Dane Sanzenbacher, whom the Bengals claimed off waivers last year on Christmas Day, is likely to be the primary slot receiver while Hawkins is out.

“Dane has really done a good job,” Lewis said. “When we claimed Dane last year, we didn’t really need him at that point but he’s been impressive as a football player. He’s a good guy and works really hard. It will be fun to watch him play live football because he didn’t get a chance to play last year. Like a lot of our guys he didn’t get any opportunity. It’s those kind of guys and he wasn’t with us very long, but it’s guys like Richard Quinn that were on the 53 man roster that didn’t get a chance to play last year. These games are important for them to go out and show that they deserve to stay around here. We kept them around here for a reason and they’ll prove me right or wrong real quick.”

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/bengals/entries/2013/08/04/hawkins_injury_might_be_worse.html/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• Training Camp: Dalton connects with Tate
    (0:11) By Bengals.com - Posted 27 minutes ago

Quarterback Andy Dalton and wide receiver Brandon Tate hook up on a nice deep pass during training camp on Aug. 4.

• lewis130804--nfl_thumb_105_70.jpg
    Marvin Lewis: Off to Atlanta
    (17:29) By Bengals.com - Posted 32 minutes ago

The Bengals head coach says his first-teamers will get plenty of work in the two days of practice against the Falcons.

• dalton130804--nfl_thumb_105_70.jpg
    Andy Dalton: Trip to Atlanta good for the team
    (1:36) By Bengals.com - Posted 35 minutes ago

The Bengals quarterback says breaking up the camp routine and practicing against the Falcons the next two days will benefit the Bengals.

• hall130804--nfl_thumb_105_70.jpg
    Leon Hall on the Falcons receivers
    (2:41) By Bengals.com - Posted 39 minutes ago

The Bengals cornerback says the Atlanta receiving group of Roddy White, Julio Jones and Tony Gonzalez is among the top three in the NFL.

SLOT OPTIONS: Offensive coordinator Jay Gruden admitted after Sunday's practice that the offense will miss Hawkins's speed, but he also said they're deep with inside options. The list starts with Mohamed Sanu, runs through rookie tight end Tyler Eifert, and bottoms out with three wideouts having good camps in Dane Sanzebacher, Ryan Whalen and Brandon Tate.

Plus, with Eifert and tight end Jermaine Gresham on the field often, that figures to cut into the multi-formation sets where Hawkins shines.

"I think the slots is covered," Gruden said. "With Tyler and Jermaine on the field at the same time we’ll only have two receivers. But we'll still feature the three-receiver set and the four-receiver set from time to time and that's when they get their reps. Probably not as much as they had last year, but you never know. It depends on how the game is going. Who's doing what and what type of personnel package we feel like is best to go after the defense."

The way it's been going, when the Bengals do go three wides it figures to be the 6-2, 210-pound Sanu in the slot and A.J. Green and Marvin Jones outside.

"(The slot) fits (Sanu) perfectly," Gruden said. "He's a great target, very smooth, and the bigger body on smaller nickels (cornerbacks)."

But Hawkins gives this offense a dimension of speed and burst it doesn't have.

"Hawk's quickness and big-play ability we'll miss," Gruden said. "But Mo's ready to step it up and take it over."

COACHING REUNION: The big reason Lewis is taking his team to Atlanta is because the Falcons are coached by one of his best friends in the game, Miike Smith, Lewis's defensive line coach on the 2000 NFL record-setting Ravens defense. But there are plenty more. Offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter was Lewis's roommate at Idaho State and he worked with secondary coach Tim Lewis in Pittsburgh.

"If they have 20 coaches, I know 15," said Marvin Lewis.

Which is why he's pretty confident everybody can get on the same page when it comes to tempo.

WHIT CHANGE: Whitworth moved his locker into the empty stall that belonged to the recenly released Travelle Wharton. That now puts him between Cook and fellow tackle Andre Smith: "I like to change it up ... now I'm between the brainiac of the operation that I've played with forever and ... I can talk to Dre about different rushers."

PLAYER OF THE DAY: Wide receiver Brandon Tate.

In what was a fairly brisk tempo during a practice that amounted to a power walkthrough before the team's flight to Atlanta, the offense looked sharper than it has in a few days. QuarterbackAndy Dalton hit 10 of 11 passes and the incompletion came after he pulled the ball down against good coverage. Backup Josh Johnson was 5-for-5, but Tate stole the show catching three long balls from Dalton. Tate missed the first few days of camp with a tight hamstring, but he looked to be up to speed when he ran deep in between cornerbackDre Kirkpatrick and safty Shawn Williams.

PLAY OF THE DAY: It came in the second snap of 11-on-11 with cornerback Leon Hall draped all over Tate running deep down the left sideline. Dalton floated a beauty from 40 yards right over Tate's helmet and Tate dove flat out to catch a ball that had to be perfectly timed because of Hall's superb coverage

QUOTE OF THE DAY: Cornerback Leon Hall on the possibility of tempers flaring when the Bengals work against another team: "Honestly I haven’t thought about it but I don’t think we have an issue with that. I don’t think we will, and even if it gets to that point I don’t see it escalating to something that’s going to make SportsCenter or something like that. I think guys realize what it is; we’re all there to get better, obviously, and still practice."

UP NEXT: The Bengals head to Atlanta to practice with the Falcons at their facility in Flowery Branch, Ga. on Monday and Tuesday, 3-5:30 p.m. both days.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Camp-report-Hawkins-mulling-next-step-as-Bengals-eye-talent-in-slot-Friends-waiting-for-Lewis/52ec3aa7-86d5-45a0-aaf2-440028765194

I'm bummed out about Hawk, but I just hope they don't do something like use the IR-Designated to return spot for him.  

Brandon Tate getting some slot snaps would be interesting.  You typically cannot double the Y receiver all that effectively, so if you give #14 some time, Tate could get open.

I just see the hawk situation leading us to do more 2 te sets then we were originally planning to do, and barring other injuries have sanu be the main slot guy when needed. I think marvin jones and eifert just inherited more playing time.

It would be interesting to see tate in the slot on some plays.

Disappointed for Baby Hawk. Good guy. Great story. Fun to watch. That said, I'd be more upset if it had been AJ, Sanu, Gresh, Eifert, or Bernard... When the 6th weapon goes down for a bit, and there are guys like Jones, Whalen, and Sanzebacher to pick up some slack, things will probably work out fine. :)

Cincinnati Bengals linebacker Vontaze Burfict has already established himself as a starter heading into his second season. He led the Bengals in tackles with 127 last season even though he didn't start until Week 3. 

But Burfict, who went undrafted last year, said he still carries a chip on his shoulder. 

"That's going to last me throughout my career," Burfict said. "I think of that as motivation all day when I'm tired and fatigued. Thirty-two teams didn't want me, even the Bengals didn't want me. Sometimes I take my aggression out in practice and coaches get mad at me. Like Giovani (Bernard, rookie running back) said, it's making him better and play faster because he's aware that I'm coming." 

Some could say most of the Bengals linebackers have a chip on their shoulders as well. Nine of the 11 linebackers on the roster went undrafted, including three of the top four on the depth chart: Burfict, James Harrison and former tryout player Emmanuel Lamur

Burfict was once considered a first-round talent, but poor workouts and a questionable attitude eventually hurt his draft stock. He wasn't among the 253 players drafted in April 2012, and that included 33 linebackers taken. 

According to Burfict, the Baltimore Ravens were the one other AFC North who expressed interest in him. He had a visit with team officials at the NFL combine. The Ravens, who had two young linebackers at the time in Jameel McClain and Dannell Ellerbe, passed on him. 

"Obviously, they weren't too interested in me," Burfict said. "Everything plays out for a reason. I play them two times now. It's revenge."

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/72910/vontaze-burfict-still-has-chip-on-his-shoulder

Albert Breer@AlbertBreer27m

Hard Knocks crew is getting toured around the Falcons facility here in Flowery Branch. Bengals/Falcons joint practice starts at 3:30 p.m.

Albert Breer@AlbertBreer24m

Bengals and Falcons will go thru individual periods separate, come together for competitive drills -- 1on1s, 9on7s, 7on7s, 11on11s, etc.

SLANTS AND SCREENS

» Zimmer, Bill Parcells's defensive coordinator, phoned an invite to his Pro Football Hall of Fame induction but Zimmer said he had too much going on Saturday to make it. While Giants head coach Tom Coughlin and Patriots head coach Bill Belichick went, Zimmer was using Parcell-isms on his players.

"We just did it this morning," Zimmer said of the Monday walkthrough. "We were doing situations and he was always big on situational football."

Another Parcell-ism Zimmer finds himself saying a lot: "Dumb players do dumb things. Smart players don't do dumb things."

» Zimmer has seen enough in rookie free-agent cornerback Onterio McCalebb that he's going to keep the burner at corner and not give him back to the offense, where he was a running back for Auburn. He's still raw, but Zimmer says McCalebb turns his hips and runs like an NFL corner. He's also anxious to see how the 170-pound McCalebb hits.

» Former Bengals offensive coordinator Bob Bratkowski visited the Bengals headquarters here at the Legacy Lodge for a Monday lunch before practice. Bratkowski made  the five-hour drive from Jacksonville, where he got let go as the Jaguars offensive coordinator after one season last year. He also worked with the Falcons in 2011 as Ryan's coach, so he's in town to visit both staffs.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Notes-Dre-looking-forward-to-Julio/602c2ccd-a9e2-487f-bd41-bd83c4761266

1. Teams have split off and are doing their own drills http://twitpic.com/d6p2zs 

2. Bratkowski has made it to practice. Talking to Mike Brown on the sideline

Expand
  3. Zim smiling on the practice field here in Flowery Branch. Never expected that

Expand
  4. Cobi Hamilton with an over zealous push on Peyton Thompson during punt drills

Expand
  5. A.Jones, Tate, Bernard, Sanzenbacher and Sanu back to return punts

Expand
  6. And we're starting with special teams

Expand
  7. First impassions of the Falcons training camp -- you see Rise up once every five feet

Archived