Training Camp Thread #2

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. — If cornerback Leon Hall is The General of the secondary, then safety Reggie Nelsonis The Admiral and Admiral Nelson was pleased with how the defense communicated against the Falcons here Monday.  

"Throughout the day I think the defense was on a good page, everybody was on the same page and flying around to the ball," Nelson said. "That's what we want to do is run to the ball. I think we did a good job of that today."

Last week, Nelson wasn't too sure how this thing was going to work out. He felt better about it after practice Monday.

"It went better than what I thought today. No fights. We're all pros. It went smooth," Nelson said. "More focused on doing their job and taking care of the other player. I think we did a good job of practicing like pros and hopefully we can keep that up.

"They've got some good athletes and they've got a good program going. We've got to get better. That is what we are here for, we are here to get better. Good for our defense to go against some of the good talent that is in the league." 

It's old home week for Nelson. When Falcons head coach Mike Smith was the Jaguars defensive coordinator in 2007, the Jags took Nelson with their first-round pick.

"It's just like a home away from home. It's nice seeing family and stuff like that," Nelson said. "Smitty is a great coach and has a good program going here. Always good to see the family from Jacksonville and coming out here doing it."

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Notes-Comfy-home-week/602c2ccd-a9e2-487f-bd41-bd83c4761266

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/pete-prisco/23037892/bengals-camp-observations-is-dalton-good-enough-to-lead-them-to-a-super-bowl

His conclusions:

---The Bengals will be playing deep into January

---Dalton will shut up a lot of doubters

---Geno Atkins will be in the Defensive Player of the Year talk.

---Defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer should be a head coach

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/pete-prisco/23037892/bengals-camp-observations-is-dalton-good-enough-to-lead-them-to-a-super-bowl

His conclusions:

---The Bengals will be playing deep into January

---Dalton will shut up a lot of doubters

---Defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer should be a head coach

Observations from Bengals camp (Working agaisnt the Falcons)

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- The Cincinnati Bengals are loaded in terms of talent. Right there with the best teams in the AFC.

So why is there trepidation when it comes to making the Bengals a Super Bowl contender?

Look under center. That's where you will see quarterback Andy Dalton. Despite leading the Bengals to two playoff appearances in his first two seasons, Dalton has a ton of doubters.

Many say he's just a system quarterback, unable to make all the throws, and his inefficiencies will hold the Bengals back.

I say this: Dalton is good enough to take this team to a Super Bowl.

He might never be a top-five quarterback, but he has the tools to win it all -- if things around him go right.

"What everybody is saying doesn't bother me because I expect to be better," Dalton said after working out here against the Falcons. "I expect for us to improve. Our goal is to get back to the playoffs. And once we get there, our goal is to be out best, which we haven't done. I think we have all the pieces. Now we have to go play."

In his first two seasons, Dalton has thrown 47 touchdown passes, including 27 last season -- five more than Super Bowl-winner Joe Flacco threw in 2012. Dalton averaged over 3,500 yards each of his first two seasons and his numbers went up in 2012 across the board.

Yet there is this perception that Dalton isn't good enough. Critics point to his lack of a power arm, but the Bengals were second in the NFL in plays of 40 yards or more last season.

"We'd like him to him to be more accurate on the deep ball," Bengals coach Marvin Lewis said. "We'd like to be better. Where weren't where we'd like to be is on the 20-plus plays. That's not arm. That's execution, not just by him, but by the people around him. I think he's had a great spring and a really good opening to camp."

If Dalton can get to 30 touchdown passes and 4,000 yards, the Bengals just might be in theSuper Bowl.

----It will help Dalton that the team has added two important weapons to the offense. First-round pick Tyler Eifert has been impressive at tight end, earning rave reviews from the coaches and teammates. And running back Giovani Bernard, the team's second-round pick, has also impressed. Both will help change the dynamic of the offense. Eifert gives the Bengals another pass-catching tight end to go with Jermaine Gresham, while Bernard is the speed back the Bengals have lacked. In Monday's work with the Falcons, Eifert beat Falcons linebacker Stephen Nicholas for a nice gain, and Bernard made a big play in a route in the middle of the field. "I think adding Tyler will allow us to go two tight end stuff rather than three receivers in some situations," Dalton said. "Gio is a guy you can move all over. I think adding both those guys were really big for us." Eifert has already drawn comparisons to a young Tony Gonzalez and a young Owen Daniels from some of the Bengals coaches.

---There was a lot of talk about right tackle Andre Smith this summer and how he wasn't a part of the team's offseason work. But Smith has come to camp and has done a nice job, according to Lewis. Smith has his weight in check and he's doing a better job of bending his legs when making his blocks. Smith did have a slight calf injury that led to his opening on the PUP list, but he's fine now and has actually taken on more of a leadership role. Smith is coming off his best season and was one of the NFL's best right tackles in 2012. The Bengals re-signed him on the eve of the NFL draft. With second-year player Kevin Zeitler at right guard, the Bengals have a tough, physical right side.

--I said last year that defensive end Michael Johnson would be the top free agent if he hit the market. He never did. The Bengals put the franchise tag on Johnson to keep him off the market. But they then went out signed Carlos Dunlap, the other end, to a long-term deal. With defensive tackle Geno Atkins, their best defensive player, in the final year of his deal, it would be tough to imagine the Bengals giving Johnson a new deal in 2014. He is playing for the franchise tender in 2013 of $11.2 million. Johnson understands his situation. He knows if he can follow up his breakout season in 2012 with another 13-15 sack season, he will get paid somewhere. "I know what I have to do," he said.

---The Bengals added linebacker James Harrison in free agency and he will start on the strong side. But expect Harrison to have a role on third down as well as a fifth rusher at times. Harrison can be difficult at times, but so far the Bengals are pleased with him. He brings nastiness to a defense that was already nasty. The interesting thing to watch will be how teams attack him when he's in coverage.

---Star receiver A.J. Green, who didn't make the trip to Atlanta because of a leg injury, saw a ton of doubles in 2012, and sometimes even three defenders. That's why it is so important for another option to emerge as the No. 2 receiver. Mohamed Sanu, who flashed last year as a rookie before getting hurt, is working with the No. 1 offense this spring. But expect Marvin Jones and Brandon Tate to also get time there. Andrew Hawkins, who is also hurt with an ankle, is expected to be the slot receiver. The Bengals will be patient with Green, who is clearly one of the NFL's best.

---The Bengals got a pleasant surprise last season when middle linebacker Vontaze Burfict started as an undrafted rookie and played well. The concern was whether Burfict, whose career went downhill after a fast start at Arizona State, would be committed to doing it again. There should be no more concern. Burfict, who got heavy at ASU, has kept his weight off and the coaches are raving about him. Look for second-year player Emmanuel Lamur to also see a lot of action in the nickel defense. He can fly.

---There is a lot of depth at corner on this roster. The starters are expected to be Terence Newman and Leon Hall with Adam Jones as the nickel corner. But keep an eye on Dre' Kirkpatrick. After missing most of his rookie season in 2012 with injuries, he has opened some eyes in this camp. The Bengals also like corner Brandon Ghee. That's as deep a group as there is in the league.

There, I said it

---The Bengals will be playing deep into January.

---Dalton will shut up a lot of doubters.

---Defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer should be a head coach.

that's bound to piss some people off around here.

Not really, I'm one of the people who was down on Andre during the offseason. I'm sure all the others are like me, they wish he would have been around all off season but now that he is it is good to hear the coaches are happy with his condition and play.

this guy was at the joint practice yesterday. I would assume he is today too.

I'm broadcasting live on the air! Listen in now at http://tobtr.com/s/5238157 . #BlogTalkRadio

Thanks.

He's saying that the LB corps was very multiple with Harrison yesterday. As expected, he often rushed, and a D-lineman (D-end) dropped back.

Thanks.

He's saying that the LB corps was very multiple with Harrison yesterday. As expected, he often rushed, and a D-lineman (D-end) dropped back.

yea it sounds like sometimes Harrison would move up to DE and Johnson would drop back to linebacker.  Lamur came in on nickel.

OK, I'll say it.  Why ?  Is a 5 hour drive considered a casual day out for a drive ?  ...or potential interview  ...or just what friends do ?  ...or maintaining network of associates ?

5 hours is nothing, especially to see old friends. I made that exact drive recently when back east visiting family, it's just a straight shot up the highway.

1. Vontaze was wrong. If I was (Jackson) would have hit him with 2 by 4

Expand
  2. Lewis on Burfict dustup vs. Steven Jackson:

Expand
  3. DT Black to go on IR today; roster at 89

Expand
  4. Lewis says Vinnie Rey out this week but could play next week.

I stopped listening, was that an observation from the interview?

yea, said the coaches have been on him constantly, not always for the bad though.

Also tossed in the fantasy angle of "the Bengals are cheap, Hunt could be a good guy to grab for the future."

1. Vontaze was wrong. If I was (Jackson) would have hit him with 2 by 4

Expand
  2. Lewis on Burfict dustup vs. Steven Jackson:

Some of the old Vontaze emerging, probably from the new confidence he has (fueled by that oft-advertised chip).  

Nice to see Marvin getting on it now. Pulling him from a game in the pre-season might also give him the needed reminder that his on-field temper can cost us games if unchecked - and therefore must be, well, tempered.

Having said that, there's a thin line that I'm sure Marvin and company would be happy to have him tread.  As we saw last season, especially with Pittsburgh, Vontaze seems to have a preternatural ability to get under people's skin, and provoking 15 yard penalties from the bad guys is always a good thing.

5 hours is nothing, especially to see old friends. I made that exact drive recently when back east visiting family, it's just a straight shot up the highway.

When I had my co-op job in Chicago, the 5 hour drive to and from Cincy I could almost do in my sleep.

Good thing to, driving through northern Indiana is enough to put you to sleep.

Archived