Whitworth active tonight vs Pittsburgh

I don't know if he should play. but he definitely needs to travel with the team (obviously they are home this week).  I brought up the "meltdown" that occurred last Sunday in the "G,B AND U" thread and how it started on defense and spread to the offense.  I can't help but wonder how much Whit's leadership was missed, and if him being there may have helped prevent the meltdown from spreading to that side of the ball.

I don't really think the offense melted down.  They were driving to put the game away when the Sanu fumble happened, and then they only ran a total of 3 plays after the Sanu fumble the ENTIRE game. 

The Bears had the ball for 13:40 in the 4th quarter.

I don't really think the offense melted down.  They were driving to put the game away when the Sanu fumble happened, and then they only ran a total of 3 plays after the Sanu fumble the ENTIRE game. 

The Bears had the ball for 13:40 in the 4th quarter.

I haven't watched the game again so you may be right.  It's very possible that the bleed over was in my perception of the offense.. But my memory was that those last 3 plays were terrible.. And the Sanu fumble sucked as well.

I haven't watched the game again so you may be right.  It's very possible that the bleed over was in my perception of the offense.. But my memory was that those last 3 plays were terrible.. And the Sanu fumble sucked as well.

yea I just pulled it up.  The Bengals only had the ball for 3 plays after the sanu fumble.

Bengals opened the half with a 7:08 TD drive.

Bengals D then gave up a 4:30 scoring drive

Bengals had a 2:28 drive end in a punt

Bears throw INT on a 1:56 drive

Bengals drove on a 1:19 drive that ended on a fumble on the Bears 17.

Bears then had a 4:41 drive to take the lead

Bengals had a 1:10 3 and out

Then the bears close out the game with a 6:38 drive.  

I don't see where the offense melted down either.    The O-line handled their business.   The only time it seems Andy got touched was when Eifert fell down on a short drop leaving Andy with no where to go with the ball.

The offense had TD drives of 80, 92, and 97.  

I don't think Whit is going to be telling Sanu and Green to hold on to the ball.  

I don't see where the offense melted down either.    The O-line handled their business.   The only time it seems Andy got touched was when Eifert fell down on a short drop leaving Andy with no where to go with the ball.

The offense had TD drives of 80, 92, and 97.  

I don't think Whit is going to be telling Sanu and Green to hold on to the ball.  

Why are you still talking about the offensive line, that shit is in the other thread. Did anyone in this thread even suggest the line didn't play well?

yea I just pulled it up.  The Bengals only had the ball for 3 plays after the sanu fumble.

Bengals opened the half with a 7:08 TD drive.

Bengals D then gave up a 4:30 scoring drive

Bengals had a 2:28 drive end in a punt

Bears throw INT on a 1:56 drive

Bengals drove on a 1:19 drive that ended on a fumble on the Bears 17.

Bears then had a 4:41 drive to take the lead

Bengals had a 1:10 3 and out

Then the bears close out the game with a 6:38 drive.  

Right, (I haven't looked yet) but wasn't that final series a net negative in yardage?  Maybe I am wrong.. What were the final 3 plays and results? (since it seems you are looking at it already).

Why are you still talking about the offensive line, that shit is in the other thread. Did anyone in this thread even suggest the line didn't play well?

Isn't the topic of the thread an offensive line player? 

Did you not suggest a meltdown by the offense and wonder about his possible leadership?

In your rush to be a board policeman you kinda looked over those facts.  

not without going back and watching every run.  I can tell you all the best runs were up the gut though.  

I don't recall a single run off RT.

that's the point i was navigating toward. i still don't have an answer for that, and was surprised that wasn't a part of the post game Q&A, since it was one of my biggest concerns during the game.

Isn't the topic of the thread an offensive line player? 

Did you not suggest a meltdown by the offense and wonder about his possible leadership?

In your rush to be a board policeman you kinda looked over those facts.  

Right.. I was talking about a player WHO DID NOT PLAY, and who happens to be a TEAM LEADER.. And yes I did question whether Whit may have had some impact on a team that was imploding. 

Let me make this clear since you are obviously obsessed with winning your stupid o-line argument to the point that it's affecting your ability to comprehend simple concepts.

NO WHERE DID I SUGGEST THAT THE LINE PLAYED BADLY

Get it?  Nor did I suggest that Whitworth could have stopped Jones from fumbling or kept Cutler contained on 3rd and long.  That's just more of you putting dumb words in peoples mouth to argue with again.

Nope.  I suggested that his leadership on what is a young team may have been missed.

Now, considering that perhaps the was no meltdown on offense this may be moot.  Although I still think He may have been able to have some positive impact as far as mentality goes.

Right.. I was talking about a player WHO DID NOT PLAY, and who happens to be a TEAM LEADER.. And yes I did question whether Whit may have had some impact on a team that was imploding. 

Let me make this clear since you are obviously obsessed with winning your stupid o-line argument to the point that it's affecting your ability to comprehend simple concepts.

NO WHERE DID I SUGGEST THAT THE LINE PLAYED BADLY

Get it?  Nor did I suggest that Whitworth could have stopped Jones from fumbling or kept Cutler contained on 3rd and long.  That's just more of you putting dumb words in peoples mouth to argue with again.

Nope.  I suggested that his leadership on what is a young team may have been missed.

Now, considering that perhaps the was no meltdown on offense this may be moot.  Although I still think He may have been able to have some positive impact as far as mentality goes.

Take your pills.

On Monday, Marvin Lewis was optimistic that there was a possibility Andrew Whitworth could play Monday night against the Steelers. Two days later and after the Bengals had a walkthrough, Whitworth said he was close to making a return to practice but that he was waiting to be cleared.

“When the doctor clears me, I’ll be allowed to go. No matter how much I argue with him he’s going to have my best interest at heart. As soon as they give me the green light, I’ll be out there,” Whitworth said. “I’m just concerned about the moment right now. That’s his job. That’s why they have him. Trying to take care of you and keep you here for a long time. Not just one week.”

Whitworth did say that he has been close for awhile but also did share for the first time that he had a setback early in training camp and that he had a second procedure done. Whitworth had knee surgery back in February to take out scar tissue in his left knee.

“I had a little re-injury and we set the timeline all over, got that situation fixed and now we’re close to being back to ready. … It was a totally different episode that caused another injury because you’re already dealing wth something that already has been worked on,” Whitworth said. “The quicker you go post-procedure, you’re endangering yourself, so we had to give ourselves a little time to heal and as soon as we’re ready were ready. It’s Marvin’s call.”

After being inactive for last Sunday’s game at Chicago, Whitworth’s string of 67 straight games and starts ended. At this point he would still be considered doubtful for the Steelers game but should be closer for the Sept. 22 game against Green Bay.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2013/09/11/whitworth-close-after-second-procedure/

CINCINNATI -- The night before a backup was slated to relieve him in the Cincinnati Bengals' season opener, left tackle Andrew Whitworth picked up his telephone and tapped his fingers on its touch-screen facing. 

"Hey, man, just do what you do and don't worry about anything else. What you do is good enough," Whitworth, a Bengals Pro Bowl selection, typed into a message box. 

Send. 

The message was destined for Anthony Collins, the Bengals' sixth-year reserve out of Kansas. Collins was making his first start in two seasons the next afternoon, playing in place of an injured Whitworth. He also just happened to be making that start by going against a defensive end in Chicago's Julius Peppers who is among the best at his position. 

"He told me he got me," Whitworth said Wednesday, reflecting on Collins' text-message response, "and I said, 'Man, I ain't doubt you one bit.'" 

Whitworth and the rest of the Bengals may need that confidence again this weekend if the veteran's knee still hasn't responded to treatment. Whitworth has been preparing as if he'll play when the Bengals meet the Steelers at Paul Brown Stadium for "Monday Night Football." Though his head coach earlier this week expressed optimism that he might play this week, Whitworth remains in wait-and-see mode. 

"I need to keep working," Whitworth said. "When the doctor clears me, I'll be allowed to go. No matter how much I argue with him, he's going to have my best interest at heart. As soon as they give me the green light, I'll be out there." 

Whitworth told reporters Wednesday that he had a setback with the knee in training camp. Months after he underwent a surgical procedure to correct the original issue that developed last October, he aggravated the injury as he was trying to slowly get back to doing football-type drills and movements. 

"It was a totally different episode that caused another injury," Whitworth said. "Just bad luck or a bad day." 

Just before the aggravation, Whitworth said he "was healthy and then something happened." 

That just means that in the event Whitworth won't be able to go again later this week, Collins will relieve him for the second straight game. 

That's not necessarily a bad thing. 

After all, Collins not only willingly took on the Peppers Test last weekend, he passed it with few hiccups along the way. Peppers has notched double-digit sack totals in each of the last two seasons. Against Collins, he didn't have a single sack. 

"I can't sugarcoat it. I did my thing," Collins said after the game. "I prepared all week for this." 

He prepared, just like Whitworth did and will continue to do. 

"I have to prepare like I'm playing," Whitworth said. "I'll prepare like I'm playing in the game every single week until they tell me I can. Every week, I've participated in what I'm allowed to participate in. Mentally I got into it. I broke down the rushers, figured out how to block for them and all those kinds of things. I'll continue to do that." 

As long as he continues to do that and Collins continues to have confidence in his own play, then quarterback Andy Dalton's blind side should have adequate protection for yet another week.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/74632/despite-injury-bengals-in-good-hands-at-lt

I'm all for him being active, but no way do I think he should start.  No matter how good of a player you are, you're gonna have rust and this is the toughest challenge of the season.

Andrew Whitworth expected to start at LT and Tyler Eifert will open as 2nd TE. #PITvsCIN #Bengals

Archived