Yeah, I gotta believe those on the sideline rants against his fellow teammates really made them strive to be better players.  I mean everyone loves having an asshat WR in their ear hole telling them how to do their jobs....during a game.  Oh, I really like when they leave the field of play BEFORE the game is over because he is too good for his own teammates. 

No ideal true.  Does it tear the team apart?  We don't know that it does or that it doesn't.  His teammates stick up for him and they seem to like his passion.  He made a mistake walking off of the field early and he owned up to it.  He's competitive and wants to win more than anything.  Better than seeing someone laughing and smiling on the sidelines during a loss.

I read the no off-field stuff as "No off-field legal incidents."

Most of his off-field stuff is dumb stuff like racking up a ton of debt on jewelry, refusing to paid said debt back, etc.  While that stuff is dumb no doubt, it could be much worse involving drugs, weapons, murders, etc.

Tell that to the people trying to earn a living that sold this asshole things and he now refuses to pay for it.  Fuck this guy.

I don't know that I'd say that.  Gruden was plenty creative, and maybe too much for his own good.  He basically did a little bit of everything, but had no bread and butter staple plays that they mastered as a unit.  

IMO Gruden's flaws as a young coordinator exactly matched his experience.  He came from the Arena League where its a passing league to WR's.

In hindsight, given his background it shouldn't be any surprise that his two flaws as an OC were:  lack of commitment to the running game, and misuse of his tight ends.  Two factors of the game that are mostly non-existent in Arena ball.  

There's not much running in the arena league, and they don't have tight ends.

Is that a fact? Arena League football doesn't use TE's.

Is that a fact? Arena League football doesn't use TE's.

yea its only 8 on 8.  Heck, I've just looked at 3 rosters and none of them even have a running back listed, though 2 of them have fullbacks, but we're talking 260LB plus fullbacks.  

I imagine they motion a WR into the backfield for running plays.

Archived