i dont understand why people think just because a guy was taken in the first round he is going to be a pro bowl mega star his rookie year, or ever..

we pick late, its not the 90's where ever pick should be the team savior.

we have limitations at QB, and we have ANOTHER first round TE,  the two TE's together produced great numbers, as did our WR's together..

i would prefer the numbers were more through the air and not LOS passes and see what YAC we can get...

a strong qb who can make all of the throws and accurate ones, would do wonders for the TE's and especially AJ green...

this same type of thinking is why players like just smith get run out of town... then are pro bowlers for another team for years..

i dont understand why people think just because a guy was taken in the first round he is going to be a pro bowl mega star his rookie year, or ever..

we have limitations at QB, and we have ANOTHER first round TE,  the two TE's together produced great numbers, as did our WR's together..

i would prefer the numbers were more through the air and not LOS passes and see what YAC we can get...

a strong qb who can make all of the throws and accurate ones, would do wonders for the TE's and especially AJ green...

this same type of thinking is why players like just smith get run out of town... then are pro bowlers for another team for years..

To be fair Justin Smith was solid here but he was always built for a 3-4 defense. He's a solid 4-3 guy but a true stud in a 3-4.

HUH? BOTH of them should have been more widely utilized as pass catchers, This whole "You can't play TE for the Bengals unless you can block " shit needs to stop whether it's true or not. These are both FIRST round picks that are more accustomed to being difference makers in an offense. Use them as such. If the offensive line NEEDS them all the time to block then draft different offensive linemen.

Yeah that drives me completely, totally nuts.

Eifert was drafted to be an offensive weapon, not to be the Dennis Roland role as an extra blocker. The coaches need to let him be offensive weapon Eifert, and let Roland be Roland. It would be like drafting Gio and putting him at FB.

Nobody is saying that. What at least I am saying is that when you draft a TE in the first round, it's not for a Reggie Kelly role. The Patriots didn't draft their murdering TE in the first yet somehow they got him to be a centerpiece of their offense along with their non-murdering other highly drafted TE. We ALSO have TWO highly drafted TE's whom were drafted for their playmaking skills, which means catching the football, not ALWAYS being asked to block. You're right...NOBODY is being asked to be the savior anymore because we are better than that now, What I am crying about is the lack of use/efficiency of the TE's (both of whom HAPPEN to be first round picks) that we do have.

Justin Smith also decided, by his own admission, it might be a good idea to start studying game film after he went to SF.   That and playing in one of the largest media markets had a lot to do with him being a Pro Bowler (like being voted to the Pro Bowl means dick anyway).  Regardless, he's not the same player he was here.

As for Eifert, he didn't get much opportunity because Gruden figured every pass he caught was one less reception for AJ Green.

My problem is we already knew our limitations at QB and Gruden's fear of having Andy throw balls down the middle before we took Eifert. That said, it really takes away from what Eifert's strengths are, getting downfield against a linebacker and catching the ball in stride for YAC.

Also, Eifert caught passes at the expense of Gresham.  Last year Gresh had 64 receptions in 16 games for 737 yards, this year it was 46 in 14 games for 458.   If you look at the 2012 numbers for yards by TEs and 2013, the numbers are not much different.  

2012: Gresh and Charles:  838 yards

2013: Gresh and Eifert: 1003 yards.

Net gain 165 yards.  Keep in mind, Andy had 624 additional yards throwing this year.   

Properly utilized, I think Eifert and Gresh could cause all kinds of havoc to opposing defenses.  Just need to properly use them.

To be fair Justin Smith was solid here but he was always built for a 3-4 defense. He's a solid 4-3 guy but a true stud in a 3-4.

Smith and Ahmad Brooks both have thrived in the 3-4 with SF. Better fit for their skill sets than the 4-3 for sure.

I don't see Eifert as being a bad fit. Not every rookie can immediately play like a Pro Bowler. I think his future is very bright.

Smith and Ahmad Brooks both have thrived in the 3-4 with SF. Better fit for their skill sets than the 4-3 for sure.

I don't see Eifert as being a bad fit. Not every rookie can immediately play like a Pro Bowler. I think his future is very bright.

I think it was more a matter of poor use...

There are two constants surrounding the TE position and its underwhelming contributions to this team, Marvin Lewis and Jon Hayes. Change has to be made, we cant keep blaming the OC and the players.

Can't cover 'em and won't throw to 'em, in a nutshell.

He wasn't a bad pick, but frustrating to see Cordarrelle Patterson taken a few picks later blow up late in the year. And to see a couple of the later draft picks like Jordan Reed and Zach Ertz look really good. Seems like Patterson would have had a bigger impact on the offense and a much bigger impact on special teams.

Kind of reminiscent of the Gresham draft where Dez Bryant went right after him and guys like Gronk and Jimmy Graham were drafted later in the draft.

He wasn't a bad pick, but frustrating to see Cordarrelle Patterson taken a few picks later blow up late in the year. And to see a couple of the later draft picks like Jordan Reed and Zach Ertz look really good. Seems like Patterson would have had a bigger impact on the offense and a much bigger impact on special teams.

Kind of reminiscent of the Gresham draft where Dez Bryant went right after him and guys like Gronk and Jimmy Graham were drafted later in the draft.

Seriously though.. Fuck Dez Bryant..  Glad we didn't take that dude.

yeah but if we would have taken Dez we would be dealing with all that off field BS for his first few years and we wouldnt have had AJ

Much happier having AJ

I guess this best fits here.  Kiper re-grades the draft.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2014/story/_/id/10324666/nfl-mel-kiper-regrading-2013-nfl-draft

Original A-, new B+.

Summary: I really liked the Bengals' draft, and gave it one of my top grades. I wrote: "The Bengals seem to be a groove with the draft, the only downside being the picks that came via theCarson Palmer deal are now spent. It was fun while it lasted." It sure was fun, especially when you consider that extra second-round pick turned into Giovani Bernard, who was easily one of the top rookies this season, and not only ran the ball well but was second among all rookies in catches. Eifert wasn't a star, but he could become a major player here, and he had a catch in every game, which isn't easy to do when there are good weapons all over this offense. Hunt saw some time, but we don't know if he'll ever become a player. There really isn't much after that, but the first two picks look fine, and this wasn't a team with major holes going in. I think the grade holds up OK.

We had the best grade in the division still.

Have you followed his career?  He is the exact kind of head case we don't need in this locker room any more.

I have and most of his stuff seems overblown.  No off field issues, on field stuff never seemed to be "me first" rants based on sideline audio...

I have and most of his stuff seems overblown.  No off field issues, on field stuff never seemed to be "me first" rants based on sideline audio...

Really? 

I guess I'd look at the fact that these rants continue to happen.  Don't get me wrong I'd love to see some passion out of AJ but Dez doesn't seem to be able to corral it into anything positive.

He's pretty much what his scouting report said at draft time.  Supreme talent who seems to blow up mentally a couple times a season.  Not likely to be a locker room leader.  Might be able to win with him, but doesn't consistently make anyone else around him better.  Fits the old "diva" WR mold like TO.

(That's my take on his scouting report - not anything I read anywhere.  It's probably more positive that Jeff Ireland version too :ninja:)

Glad we didn't draft him.

Really? 

I guess I'd look at the fact that these rants continue to happen.  Don't get me wrong I'd love to see some passion out of AJ but Dez doesn't seem to be able to corral it into anything positive.

He's pretty much what his scouting report said at draft time.  Supreme talent who seems to blow up mentally a couple times a season.  Not likely to be a locker room leader.  Might be able to win with him, but doesn't consistently make anyone else around him better.  Fits the old "diva" WR mold like TO.

(That's my take on his scouting report - not anything I read anywhere.  It's probably more positive that Jeff Ireland version too :ninja:)

Glad we didn't draft him.

I agree.  I have no problem w/ Dez, it's nice to see a player care about winning as much as the fans do...if not more.  A lot of times it seems like we take losses harder than the players.

Yeah, I gotta believe those on the sideline rants against his fellow teammates really made them strive to be better players.  I mean everyone loves having an asshat WR in their ear hole telling them how to do their jobs....during a game.  Oh, I really like when they leave the field of play BEFORE the game is over because he is too good for his own teammates. 

this post must be missing a ninja...

I read the no off-field stuff as "No off-field legal incidents."

Most of his off-field stuff is dumb stuff like racking up a ton of debt on jewelry, refusing to paid said debt back, etc.  While that stuff is dumb no doubt, it could be much worse involving drugs, weapons, murders, etc.

Archived