2014 - Team Review & Needs...

rumors were out there and someone (of importance) tweeted about Bush being offered a very similar deal by Cincy, but he wanted full carries and not a split duty job.

No kidding? Ah well. Worked out for the best, if you ask me. Gio's a great kid, and a heck of a runner.

I could see a CB in FA. However, I think a 3rd rounder in the draft makes more sense. 

If you break it down in terms of years (with age in parentheses):

Leon Hall (29)

Adam Jones (29)

Dre Kirkpatrick (23)

Terence Newman (34)

Rookie (21)

Leon Hall (30)

Adam Jones (30)

Dre Kirkpatrick (24)

2nd year guy (22)

Jones and Hall really aren't that old. These days it doesn't seem like most CBs really slow down until 32 or so. I think those 2 guys will be fine the next 2 seasons. And Dre should at least be fine as a 3rd or 4th CB. So that's 3 guys...

Newman should be fine for 1 more year as one of our top 4 CBs but I do think he is done after 2014. You can draft a CB to groom as his replacement either in the 2014 draft or just wait until the 2015 draft and grab a guy early then. 

I think 2015 is maybe when you could see a veteran CB added to give us 5 guys total. Or maybe they just draft a CB in 2014 and 2015. 

i think the "concern" people have at corner is. Newman probably has 2-3 seasons left. Hall is a complete unknown after his 2nd achilles. He probably comes back, but its hard to imagine him still being an elite corner. Pacman finally had a healthy year, but he's always been an injury risk and he's on the wrong side of his years too. Thats a lot of question marks and Dre is the only good young talent. A second young talent would be huge incase 2 of the 3 vets don't last as we think they will. 

Signing a vet would allow Hall to get PUP'd which would probably be in his best interest. You need 3 good corners to win and you need good depth behind them. I'd say as a team they currently have 4 good corners, but the depth behind them is not there and in reality all 4 of them have concerns due to age or durability.

I doubt Hall will need to be pup'd. He injured this one earlier than he did the last, and he's been thru the rehab process once, so he'll have a much better feel of how to make it work.

I could see a CB in FA. However, I think a 3rd rounder in the draft makes more sense. 

Leon Hall (29)
Adam Jones (29)
Dre Kirkpatrick (23)
Terence Newman (34)
Rookie (21)

Leon Hall (30)
Adam Jones (30)
Dre Kirkpatrick (24)
2nd year guy (22)

Jones and Hall really aren't that old. These days it doesn't seem like most CBs really slow down until 32 or so. I think those 2 guys will be fine the next 2 seasons. And Dre should at least be fine as a 3rd or 4th CB. So that's 3 guys...

Newman should be fine for 1 more year as one of our top 4 CBs but I do think he is done after 2014. You can draft a CB to groom as his replacement either in the 2014 draft or just wait until the 2015 draft and grab a guy early then. 

I think 2015 is maybe when you could see a veteran CB added to give us 5 guys total. Or maybe they just draft a CB in 2014 and 2015.

I agree with most of that. I think this will be a real BPA draft, with the exception of QB. I do expect a QB drafted, but not until the later(3-5) rounds. Any other position could happen early.

I doubt Hall will need to be pup'd. He injured this one earlier than he did the last, and he's been thru the rehab process once, so he'll have a much better feel of how to make it work.

i dont think he needs it, but i think it would be beneficial. you have to remember that he is older and also its his second one (diff leg i know).

Leon Hall (29)

Adam Jones (29)

Dre Kirkpatrick (23)

Terence Newman (34)

Rookie (21)

Leon Hall (30)

Adam Jones (30)

Dre Kirkpatrick (24)

2nd year guy (22)

Newman will be 36 at the beginning of the season, not 34.

Jones is already 30 and will be 31 mid September.

Archived