Taylor Lewan

What is everybody's opinion on Lewan. I know that Robinson and Matthews are absolutely gone by the time the Bengals go on the clock. I believe Lewan will also, but I have seen a couple of Mocks where he was still on the board come 24 (including, it seems, a Mock where I'm going to be selecting for Cincy).

My first wish would be to see Gilbert or Dennard sitting there, but that ain't happening and I am not taking Roby, Fuller, Varrett or Joyner without trading down a few spots. My favorite option right now is probably to sign Collins and trade down, picking up a couple of extra premium picks.

One option that has to be considered though would be an OL if Collins signs elsewhere before the draft. And there are only four I'd even consider at 24. Robinson and Matthews (definitely gone), Lewan (probably gone) ZMartin as a guard (very long shot - would probably deal down first).

In the event that Lewan is still there though (and AC is no longer a Bengal), would you take him? He's a four-year starter who made 48 starts in 50 games so he's durable, he's huge and he really showed out at the combine. I have seen a couple of negatives about him. Some say he's more suited to the right side because of the size (although he's athletic like Whit, I've seen some say he's too much of a finesse-type and better suited to a zone scheme like the Pats (interstingly enough one of the guys that said he was "too finesse" was also one who said he was more suited to the right side) and I've seen some reports that say he has a "quirky personality" (doesn't every OL?).

I realize the point will probably be moot and he will most likely be gone by 24, but still wanted to get everyone's take. TIA

Not a good fit for Hue's system/Belongs on the right 1--------10 10-year Pro Bowl LT - grab him!

My personal opinion is there's so little chance he's there at 24 that the only way you can have this discussion is under the hypothetical that we trade up to get him.

He might be a hot-headed dickface (and he might not), but athleticism like his in bodies like that don't drop very far on draft day.

I don't know about the math, but with 3-5 QBs, say 3 OT and DE taken early, a few WRs...you are starting to get close to 24 fellows.

Somebody is likely to fall out of the high end of the round -- especially if the usual run of Combine warriors jump to the front of the line.

I don't know about the math, but with 3-5 QBs, say 3 OT and DE taken early, a few WRs...you are starting to get close to 24 fellows.

Somebody is likely to fall out of the high end of the round -- especially if the usual run of Combine warriors jump to the front of the line.

I agree, but the problem is that Taylor was one of those combine warriors.

Add in a couple LB's and CBs, then it's even closer.

I've seen him play a fair amount, and I think he's overrated. No question he's got great size and he tests out as an excellent athlete, but I haven't seen enough dominant play from the guy, like I'd expect.

I think Jake Mathews is a much better player.

Archived