Peko Extended

I don't agree. I don't think he's anything special, unless he's going to sucker punch one of our defenders.

I don't think he's anything special either...but he's better than BJGE except for maybe in the locker room, and especially at 1/3 the price.  Blount hasn't had any on or off field incidents since arriving to the NFL so not sure why people keep bringing this up......

I don't like him going to Pitt though because he fits in perfectly there.....wish he would have gone somewhere else, not necessarily to the Bengals. 

I don't think he's anything special either...but he's better than BJGE except for maybe in the locker room, and especially at 1/3 the price.  Blount hasn't had any on or off field incidents since arriving to the NFL so not sure why people keep bringing this up......

I don't like him going to Pitt though because he fits in perfectly there.....wish he would have gone somewhere else, not necessarily to the Bengals. 

You mean by swinging at people on the field, or in some other sense?

edit: to be fair, the average Stooler is too chickenshit to ever do that.  More the dive-at-your-knee, blindside-a-punter type of punkass they're looking for..  Y'know, the Stooler Way? Just a classy, top-notch organization there. You can ask anyone.

can you explain how they're the same to a player?  Signing bonus they obviously get up front, but many a player has been cut because of looming roster bonuses.  No player has ever gotten cut because of a signing bonus.

I'd think a player would take the money being in a signing bonus rather than a roster bonus every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Agreed.  Roster bonuses aren't really guaranteed, other than maybe the first year since no one would cut anyone (of significance) who's signing a new deal.  But I think if the point was in regard to Peko's deal, it could hold water.  He doesn't care which kind of bonus it is since they'd both be earned in year one. 

The way other teams are doing deals (see Aqib Talib) is giving big roster bonuses on the 3rd or 4th day of future seasons, giving the team the ability to cut the player without paying.  Yet, they're still able to claim it as "guaranteed money" and the player feels good about signing a big deal.  When in reality we know the entirety of the deal will never happen and teams are just playing with spreading signing bonuses and giving phantom roster bonuses out.  Also, there seems to be an uptick in per active game bonuses which cover the team for inactivity or injury and incentivizing (did I just make a word up?) the player.

I think the Bengals fully intend to pay out EVERY contract they sign, unless the value simply isn't there any longer.

Agreed.  Roster bonuses aren't really guaranteed, other than maybe the first year since no one would cut anyone (of significance) who's signing a new deal.  But I think if the point was in regard to Peko's deal, it could hold water.  He doesn't care which kind of bonus it is since they'd both be earned in year one. 

The way other teams are doing deals (see Aqib Talib) is giving big roster bonuses on the 3rd or 4th day of future seasons, giving the team the ability to cut the player without paying.  Yet, they're still able to claim it as "guaranteed money" and the player feels good about signing a big deal.  When in reality we know the entirety of the deal will never happen and teams are just playing with spreading signing bonuses and giving phantom roster bonuses out.  Also, there seems to be an uptick in per active game bonuses which cover the team for inactivity or injury and incentivizing (did I just make a word up?) the player.

I think the Bengals fully intend to pay out EVERY contract they sign, unless the value simply isn't there any longer.

Which makes the Bengals nice guys...and bad business men. The ironic part about it is that they probably do intend to pay the full contract out but they appear to be the stingiest team in the league when it comes to actual contractual guarantees.  

Which makes the Bengals nice guys...and bad business men. The ironic part about it is that they probably do intend to pay the full contract out but they appear to be the stingiest team in the league when it comes to actual contractual guarantees.  

Yet free agents continue saying how they wanted to play here.  Crazy, isn't it?

can you explain how they're the same to a player?  Signing bonus they obviously get up front, but many a player has been cut because of looming roster bonuses.  No player has ever gotten cut because of a signing bonus.

I'd think a player would take the money being in a signing bonus rather than a roster bonus every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

I was thinking of first year roster bonuses or fully guaranteed bonuses in future years. From the player's point of view money in hand is money in hand. To earn a roster bonus, the player only has to be on the roster the day it's due (or for fully guaranteed bonuses, not even that). Signing bonus is considered an advance on salary. So it's subject to clawback for misbehavior. So over the years when teams and players have fallen out the team sometimes tries to reclaim base salary and signing bonus. Carl Pickens, Keyshawn Johnson, Terrell Owens, and Jay Ratliff have all been threatened with that. Barry Sanders was sued by the Lions after his retirement to reclaim his signing bonus.

You mean by swinging at people on the field, or in some other sense?

edit: to be fair, the average Stooler is too chickenshit to ever do that.  More the dive-at-your-knee, blindside-a-punter type of punkass they're looking for..  Y'know, the Stooler Way? Just a classy, top-notch organization there. You can ask anyone.

Yeah, because we only sign and employ choir boys. Stop being an idiot

• 2 weeks later...

Archived