Peko Extended

Yeah, saw it in the Hobson article. Just looked back and you are right, I misread it.

It said "working on a deal averaging $5.5" and I thought it meant they were working on this deal averaging $5.5 and referring to a rumor/report from sportrac, but you're right, they're talking about the old deal. 

lol yea I read it wrong at first as well.

Considering this team has laid an egg in the majority of primetime and playoff games over the past 8 years, I don't put much stock in the "veteran leadership" of those teams. Aren't those the guys that should be setting the tone in those games? I agree Peko is a great guy, but that doesn't mean he should be one of our highest paid players.

My comment about not having anything else to do with our money was sarcasm.

Considering this team has laid an egg in the majority of primetime and playoff games over the past 8 years, I don't put much stock in the "veteran leadership" of those teams. Aren't those the guys that should be setting the tone in those games? I agree Peko is a great guy, but that doesn't mean he should be one of our highest paid players.

Yeah they're never going to win the big one, makes you wonder why some suckers are still fans of such a hopeless, mediocre team doesn't it?

(that, too, was mostly sarcasm. though if i truly felt that way, damned if i'd be wasting my time worrying about it.)

Yeah they're never going to win the big one, makes you wonder why some suckers are still fans of such a hopeless, mediocre team doesn't it?

(that, too, was mostly sarcasm. though if i truly felt that way, damned if i'd be wasting my time worrying about it.)

You can continue whining about the whining or you could actually discuss the point, why pay a premium for leadership of a team that folds in almost every big moment?

You can continue whining about the whining or you could actually discuss the point, why pay a premium for leadership of a team that folds in almost every big moment?

The problem with that paradigm you just pointed out is that there is only one group where stopping the whining means all the whining has stopped.

If there's on group the Bengals shouldn't be paying a premium for leadership with, it's the defense. We have lots of veteran players who are good locker room guys. Peko is at best our 3rd most important D-lineman, behind Atkins and Dunlap. So he should be paid for his on-field contributions, not what he does off the field.

Good point. Personally, I didn't know that people here thought so highly of Peko as a football player, and still don't really know why. He's an awesome dude, but it's not like he's some just under the cusp should be Pro Bowler like Leon. Yeah, he's 29 but it's probably also about to be his 9th season. The defense has enough "leaders" I think, tho I admit it probably is a little more important this season when switching to a new D coordinator.

Good point. Personally, I didn't know that people here thought so highly of Peko as a football player, and still don't really know why. He's an awesome dude, but it's not like he's some just under the cusp should be Pro Bowler like Leon. Yeah, he's 29 but it's probably also about to be his 9th season. The defense has enough "leaders" I think, tho I admit it probably is a little more important this season when switching to a new D coordinator.

What you say here is in direct conflict with the quotes from Zimmer who stated Peko is the best NT he has ever had. The pro bowl means nothing.

Either one of the best defensive coordinators in the NFL (who also happened to be his defensive coordinator for the bulk of his career) is wrong or you are.

In fact, I would say the disparity ought to call into question any opinion you may offer as to the skill of any player on this team.  The fact you would use the pro bowl as some sort of measuring stick only further enforces this notion.

What you say here is in direct conflict with the quotes from Zimmer who stated Peko is the best NT he has ever had. The pro bowl means nothing.

Either one of the best defensive coordinators in the NFL (who also happened to be his defensive coordinator for the bulk of his career) is wrong or you are.

In fact, I would say the disparity ought to call into question any opinion you may offer as to the skill of any player on this team.  The fact you would use the pro bowl as some sort of measuring stick only further enforces this notion.

Bengals coaches or former coaches singing the praises of their players doesn't mean much. Paul Alexander famously called Stacey Andrews the best RT in the league. Not many people would agree with that, though perhaps you would. Marvin praised Reggie Kelley pretty excessively too. Zimmer only said that Peko was the best NT he'd had. Not sure off hand who the alternatives for that title are but even if it's true, that doesn't mean Peko is an outstanding player. Just better than other NTs he'd had.

Dude, really don't give a shit what the coaches say in interviews about their players at this point, because its all sprinkled with sunshine and rainbows. And we can stop treating our coach's (and former coach's) every word like the word of God anytime now. Until Marvin and Zimmer both go 16-0, I think I'm entitled to an opinion.

And the Pro Bowl isn't ALWAYS complete bullshit fanservice. Not that I'm trying to base my whole argument on Peko not being a Pro Bowler, I'm not. I'm saying his play isn't up there with the great DTs in the league. Its obvious by watching him. I get his role in the defense, but the greats don't get tossed around as often as he does. But Zimmer says he's the GOAT in an interview, so I'm about to get collectively shat on by everyone ITT with a hard-on for Peko. Awesome.

And the Pro Bowl is especially bad at those no-name positions like OL and DT.  There are years where they just vote in a mess of Cowboys or some other name team.

People are significantly undervaluing his play.... he's not being extended just to be a leader.

I agree. 

I also think this extension isn't going to be a huge deal.  Might be in line with Geathers' deal ($9M/3yrs).  He would have already counted $5.1 against the cap in 2014 (but only $1M guaranteed) so even if he did a 2-yr extension the total could be $10-12M with a $4M signing bonus (pro-rated $1.3 over 3 seasons) and base salaries between $2M and $3M, he'd still have more guaranteed and allow the team to lower his cap number this season by well over $1M.

Just for reference, his last deal was a 5-yr $27.7M extension with $8.5M guaranteed with base salaries between $3M and $4M.  So he wasn't exactly breaking the bank per year or in guarantees and is now 4 years older.  These thoughts that he would be making $5M+ a year seem misguided since that's the most he'd ever made (hasn't even made it this year) and he's entering his 3rd contract, which are typically lower deals unless you're an all-pro.

Geno can't do what he does if Peko doesn't do what he does. He's worth the coin. 

I"m curious as to what he does that is so impressive besides being a really heavy body. Now, I can't really support this in anyway, and I don't want to go and find the videos myself, but I swear  of the offensive linemen that were free agents this offseason, in probably like half of their highlight videos or breakdowns it was them shitting on Peko in some fashion.

I'm not saying he's bad. He's an average player, though. And he's not more than that just because he's a  nice guy.

I"m curious as to what he does that is so impressive besides being a really heavy body. Now, I can't really support this in anyway, and I don't want to go and find the videos myself, but I swear  of the offensive linemen that were free agents this offseason, in probably like half of their highlight videos or breakdowns it was them shitting on Peko in some fashion.

I'm not saying he's bad. He's an average player, though. And he's not more than that just because he's a  nice guy.

He's a nose tackle, and a good one. His whole job is to occupy blockers - without him, you don't have Geno, Dunlap, and MJ racking up 10+ sacks and batting balls down. Just being a fat dude doesn't mean you're a good nose tackle. See Terrence Cody.

And here I thought it was only Dalton's fault!  Welcome to the party, pals!

Hilarious. No need to be an asshole. I don't even remember the last time I said something negative about Dalton. And I get negged for agreeing with the guy. This fuckin site man lmao

He's a nose tackle, and a good one. His whole job is to occupy blockers - without him, you don't have Geno, Dunlap, and MJ racking up 10+ sacks and batting balls down. Just being a fat dude doesn't mean you're a good nose tackle. See Terrence Cody.

Meh. He's average at best. Cool hair though.

Regardless of Peko's play on the field, I DO think its fair to question the leadership of this team.

You can't watch a team come out tight and scared 3 years in a row in the wild card round of the playoffs and not question the leadership of the team. 

I hear a lot about how Peko and Whitworth are great leaders, but wouldn't great leadership figure out a way to solve this annual problem?

Not to mention, these 2 "great leaders" haven't exactly brought their A-games in the playoffs. Leading by example would help as well. 

Archived