WILD CARD PUSH!!!!!

DaltonGreen

Well as we all know we are kinda on the edge of the wild card race BUT last time i checked we are only 11 games back and we have been playing rilly good in the second half.Im hoping that we make one more trade(not involving GRIFFEY)and get pitching then i believe we will make a wild-card poush like i predicted a while back and got laughed at!
I HOPE I DIDN"T JINKS ANYTHING :unsure: :rolleyes: :blush: B)
GO BENGALS!
GO REDS!!!!!

[quote name='cantstop85' date='Jul 30 2005, 07:12 PM']Well as we all know we are kinda on the edge of the wild card race BUT last time i checked we are only 11 games back and we have been playing rilly good in the second half.Im hoping that we make one more trade(not involving GRIFFEY)and get pitching then i believe we will make a wild-card poush like i predicted a while back and got laughed at!
I HOPE I DIDN"T JINKS ANYTHING :unsure:   :rolleyes:   :blush:   B)
GO BENGALS!
GO REDS!!!!!
[right][post="121960"][/post][/right][/quote]

it'd be amazing if that did happen...

but i really really dont see it happening.

[quote name='cantstop85' date='Jul 30 2005, 07:12 PM']Well as we all know we are kinda on the edge of the wild card race BUT last time i checked we are only 11 games back and we have been playing rilly good in the second half.Im hoping that we make one more trade(not involving GRIFFEY)and get pitching then i believe we will make a wild-card poush like i predicted a while back and got laughed at!
I HOPE I DIDN"T JINKS ANYTHING :unsure:   :rolleyes:   :blush:   B)
GO BENGALS!
GO REDS!!!!!
[right][post="121960"][/post][/right][/quote]

Don't worry, you didnt jinx anything. The Reds aren't going anywhere. They are better off trading away some of their older players now and building a team that can actually contend in 2-3 years.

[quote name='Dan_Bengals_NJ' date='Jul 30 2005, 10:31 PM']Don't worry, you didnt jinx anything. The Reds aren't going anywhere. They are better off trading away some of their older players now and building a team that can actually contend in 2-3 years.
[right][post="121982"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

That's what they have been doing for several years now. At some point you have to stick it out, or admit to being a AAA team.

Guest Bengal_Smoov
To quote Jim Mora: "Playoffs!! Playoffs!!...."

If you think the Reds are going to the playoffs then pass the dutchie to the left side, a few wins in a row means nothing. They can't play like one of the worst teams in baseball for 4 months and have a good week or two and expect to go to the playoffs. They still need pitching and lots of it.

Notes: [b]Something to play for[/b]
Cincy's hot streak brings Wild Card into view
By Anthony Castrovince / MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- Adam Dunn doesn't read the newspaper and, he admits, doesn't make much effort to keep up with the daily goings-on in the baseball world.

"I just found out [Rafael] Palmeiro got suspended," he said Tuesday, a day after the big news broke.

So it's no surprise that Dunn was surprised to hear his Reds entered Tuesday's action 10 games back of the Astros in the National League Wild Card race.

"Wow," he said. "I had no idea. That's amazing to me."

Granted, it's an understatement to say 10 games is a lot of ground to make up in two months. And yes, there are seven other teams sitting between the Reds and their Houston foes.

But considering the Reds essentially wrote off their season weeks ago, 10 games looks pretty palatable. If nothing else, it's a reason to look at the standings.

"Hey, you've got to play for something," Dunn said.

The Reds have been playing well, to the tune of five straight wins and a 12-5 record since the All-Star break that is the third-best in the Majors.

When the Wild Card possibility was broached with manager Jerry Narron, he said his focus hasn't changed at all since he took over in mid-June. He's not interested in the standings; he just wants the team to play the game the right way.

"If you do the little things and play the game the right way, the winning and losing will take care of itself," he said, repeating his oft-uttered mantra. "If you're in first place, it's much easier to do it. If you're buried like we were a month and a half ago, you see what you're made of."

The Reds have discovered they still have quite a bit of fight in them.

Dunn said it's because the rest of the players, like him, have stopped looking at the standings and have started concentrating on the game.

"I think right before the All-Star break, we said, 'You know what? Let's go out and play and relax, and let's try to work on things for next year,'" Dunn said. "I think everybody relaxing has helped the team."

When it was proposed to Dunn that what also might help the team is a sudden move to the NL West, where the Reds would be just four games out of first place, Dunn smiled.

"If we were in the NL West, we wouldn't be four games out," he said. "We'd be four games up."

Dunn doesn't have to read the papers to know that.

Shocked and stunned: If Narron has one memory of Palmeiro from his time as manager of the Rangers in 2001 and '02, it's seeing all the extra work the slugger would put in.

"I remember going to the ballpark in November and December, going to the batting cages, and no one would be in there but him," Narron recalled. "He worked extremely hard at his game."

That's why Narron was incredulous when the news came down Monday that Palmeiro had been suspended for 10 games for violating the league's drug prevention and treatment program.

"Shocked," Narron said when asked for his reaction. "Stunned. I don't know all the facts, but it's disappointing, for sure. He's definitely one guy I would have said wasn't using steroids."

AK not quite OK: Austin Kearns was held out of the Reds' lineup for the second straight game Tuesday after he pulled his right hamstring legging out a triple Saturday night in San Diego.

Kearns took batting practice and was available for pinch-hit duty, but he wasn't quite ready for the full thing just yet.

"It's gotten a lot better the last couple [of] days," he said. "It doesn't bother me when I'm walking, just running. We'll see how it feels [after BP]. Hopefully I'll get over the hump."

Bong arrested: Left-hander Jung Keun Bong, who's been on the disabled list all season after offseason surgery on his throwing shoulder, was arrested Friday in Bradenton, Fla., for domestic battery, according to the Manatee County Sheriff's department.

Reports of screams led sheriff's deputies to the Sarasota Cay Motel, where Bong and his wife said they had a fight. Bong, 25, was arrested after red marks were observed on his wife's neck. He has a court date later this month.

Bong was in Sarasota on a rehab assignment that was cut short on June 13, when, in his first outing for Class A Sarasota, he was struck by a line drive in his pitching hand.

Bong and pitcher Bubba Nelson, who was arrested on a DUI charge during Spring Training, were acquired just before the 2004 season in the trade that sent pitcher Chris Reitsma to the Braves.

Reds report: Right-hander Ryan Wagner, who's been on the DL since July 15 with inflammation in his throwing shoulder, was scheduled to be looked at by team medical director Dr. Timothy Kremchek on Tuesday. A determination as to when he can resume throwing was to be made after that visit. ... Tony Perez bobblehead dolls will be given away to the first 40,000 fans at Wednesday's game. ... Dunn hit .278 and led the National League with 11 homers and the Major Leagues with 31 RBIs in July. ... The Reds went 17-11 in July, their first winning month since May 2004.

Down on the farm: Right-hander Josh Hancock made the second start of his rehab appearance with Triple-A Louisville on Monday and allowed two runs on five hits in 4 2/3 innings. Chris Booker notched his 17th save of the season in the Bats' 7-3 win over Ottawa. ... Right-hander Travis Chick was scheduled to make his second start with Double-A Chattanooga on Tuesday. ... First baseman Ben Mummy went 2-for-4 with a double, home run and four RBIs in Rookie Billings' 13-5 win at Missoula. ... Left-hander Travis Wood allowed an unearned run on four hits over three innings in the Gulf Coast League Reds' 10-4 loss to the Pirates. Wood is 0-0 with a 0.75 ERA over eight appearances with the Reds.

On deck: The Reds and Braves continue their three-game set with Wednesday's 7:10 p.m. ET game at Great American Ball Park. Left-hander Brandon Claussen (5-8, 4.71 ERA) will face left-hander Horacio Ramirez (9-6, 4.36 ERA).

Anthony Castrovince is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Guest Bengal_Smoov
A story like that is good for baseball, it gives the fan a reason to still come to the ball park, which means more money for MLB.

Realistically the Reds season was over weeks ago like the article said, 10 games out of the wild card race shouldn't be a reason for hope, imo. 10 games out of the wild card means your season hasn't gone the way you hoped and your team sucks. Not buying it, until the Reds get 1.) A general manager who knows what he's doing 2.) A manager who knows what he's doing 3.) 2 or 3 pitchers who have the ability to win 20+ games they will be excited about being 10 games out of the wildcard race.

Just 9 and half out now.

The Astros did last year and this year again. The Reds have the offense to the same, but the pitching isn't quite there. All though they have been pretty good likely. Milton and Ortiz just need to be more consistent and remove Hudson from the rotation, it's obvious he is ready after the surgery he's had.

9 games isn't all that much, and could be done, but the Reds have to win 30 to 40 games out of their remaining 50 to have a chance and have to jump over 8 other teams. I don't think that would be possible.

Guest bengalrick

damn these reds are on fire!!!!! 8-1 in the top of the 5th... if they play the way they have, they really do have a chance at a wild card... why did they wait until august though :(

Guest bengalrick

[quote name='mschutte369' date='Aug 10 2005, 04:34 PM']The only bad thing I see about this push is that it's going to convince Linder that he doesn't need to make any offseason moves.  But it's nice to still be listening to games in August.  :)
[right][post="128231"][/post][/right][/quote]

quite the opposite of last year... unfortinately, your right...

Guest bengalrick

[quote name='Jason' date='Aug 10 2005, 04:46 PM']Would it matter?  What is their record against St Louis, and Atlanta?
[right][post="128254"][/post][/right][/quote]

:unsure:

did jason say something...

• 3 weeks later...
Guest oldschooler
[quote name='cantstop85' date='Aug 28 2005, 09:49 PM']HELLOOOO!!!!!!!!! EVERYBODY!!!!!!!!!! WE ARE ONLY 8 GAMES OUT OF THE WILD CARD AND WE ARE RIDING A 4 GAME WINNNING STREAK!!!!!GO REDS!!!!!!!! BELIEVE!!!!!!!!!!!
[right][post="137059"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

7.5 games back with 32 to play.
They would have to go 19-13 the next 32 games
just to finish at .500. There is 7 teams that have a
better record than the Reds that are fighting for the
Wild Card spot.

The Reds play the Pirates (counting today) 7 more games.
They play the Astros 3 games...the Braves 3 games...Cubs 3 games
The Brewers 7 games ...the Phillies 3 games and the Cardinals 6 games.

If they win today and sweep the Astros and Braves maybe...
Anyway I`m glad they`re winning...but I`m afraid it`s to little to late...

Archived