White Woman pretends to be black...

Numbers

Homer, if you really believe that Kenneth can't leave his home in a nonchalant manner and that I (as part of all of us) crafted (a verb which connotes willfulness) a society to put him behind the 8 ball - and that anyone who believes otherwise is a fool - then I prefer not to waste my time discussing this topic with you. We have zero common ground from which to create mutually respectable dialogue.

Dressing your beliefs in the language of academia does not make them correct and you do a disservice to all of black America by sharing your pathetic racial fatalism.

Kenneth, if you're really the upstanding man Homer describes, I hope we cross paths someday. Homer, your mind is concrete - all mixed up and permanently set.

Homer, if you really believe that Kenneth can't leave his home in a nonchalant manner and that I (as part of all of us) crafted (a verb which connotes willfulness) a society to put him behind the 8 ball - and that anyone who believes otherwise is a fool - then I prefer not to waste my time discussing this topic with you. We have zero common ground from which to create mutually respectable dialogue.

Dressing your beliefs in the language of academia does not make them correct and you do a disservice to all of black America by sharing your pathetic racial fatalism.

Kenneth, if you're really the upstanding man Homer describes, I hope we cross paths someday. Homer, your mind is concrete - all mixed up and permanently set.

CW, the fact is that Homer tells you the truth.  There is a difference in the way you as a white male can go through your life, that any minority will tell you does not exist for them, and by minority I don't mean just black people.  The truth is not Fatalism, it is simply the truth.  And yes, America did create a society that still today sees many in the minority community as second class citizens, and thereby allows for second class treatment.  Open your eyes, and stop with the platitudes. 

He has a unique style of writing. Poetic like. Wish my writing style was more like his.

Me, too. I'd love to have the ability to communicate as well as he does. He has a special talent and is one of the authors I make a point of checking out on a fairly regular basis.

If you are interested in black poets, check out Paul Laurence Dunbar. I had the good fortune of crossing paths with a recent biographer of his and he really opened my eyes to his evocative voice. PLD spent some time in Dayton, too.

Me, too. I'd love to have the ability to communicate as well as he does. He has a special talent and is one of the authors I make a point of checking out on a fairly regular basis.

If you are interested in black poets, check out Paul Laurence Dunbar. I had the good fortune of crossing paths with a recent biographer of his and he really opened my eyes to his evocative voice. PLD spent some time in Dayton, too.

Haven't read much of Dunbar. The style, from what little I've read, seem similar to Langston Hughes. Hughes and Alice Walker are two of my favorite poets. Jarrell is another but doesn't fit the same rhythm.

Homer, I have to give you some grief here.  PLD was born, started writing, was friends with the Wright Bros, and died and was buried in Dayton.  I'd say he spent some time.

I knew he was acquainted with the Wright Bros, but for some reason I though he was born in Baltimore. Maybe I'm conflating his story with someone else's. His papers are at Wright State; I do remember that. In any case, a wonderful poet.

Homer, you are thinking of scientist, astronmer and architect of DC layout BENJAMIN BANNEKER, who was a free black man in Baltimore.

I knew he was acquainted with the Wright Bros, but for some reason I though he was born in Baltimore. Maybe I'm conflating his story with someone else's. His papers are at Wright State; I do remember that. In any case, a wonderful poet.

Countee Cullen may have been born in Baltimore.

Homer, you are thinking of scientist, astronmer and architect of DC layout BENJAMIN BANNEKER, who was a free black man in Baltimore.

Countee Cullen may have been born in Baltimore.

I suspect that I had Edgar Allan Poe in the back of my mind; he's my favorite American poet and spent a lot of time in Baltimore.

Archived